Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

Cytokinesis posted:

Talking is a free action.

To a point it is. It's up to the DM in terms of what really constitutes free action speech versus a partial action or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sick_Boy
Jun 3, 2007

The reason Milton wrote in fetters when he wrote of Angels and God, and at liberty when of Devils and Hell, is because he was a true poet and of the Devil's party without knowing it.

Olanphonia posted:

To a point it is. It's up to the DM in terms of what really constitutes free action speech versus a partial action or something.

V was particularly verbose early in the strip and it counted as a round.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Cytokinesis posted:

Talking is a free action.

Talking is a free action in terms of a round (within limits, as has been pointed out a couple posts up) but that only applies to V and Xykon's throwdown. What V does doesn't affect Durkon's rounds, hundreds of miles away.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

sfwarlock posted:

Talking is a free action in terms of a round (within limits, as has been pointed out a couple posts up) but that only applies to V and Xykon's throwdown. What V does doesn't affect Durkon's rounds, hundreds of miles away.

So you're saying that the six second rounds flow differently on different points of the planet? Telling the time must be a bitch and a half there.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Mystic Mongol posted:

So you're saying that the six second rounds flow differently on different points of the planet? Telling the time must be a bitch and a half there.

Any split party in D&D has huge difficulties in determining when things have actually occurred. Five rounds of combat some of the party may be in is only 30 seconds in game time, but 2 hours at the table, whereas the rest of the party might be doing something like gathering information in a bar a town over. That would take about a minute of time at the table, but several hours of in game time. A lot of times you can kind of handwave it away or make it so the plot continues when it needs to, which is what I'm guessing will happen in this part of the story.

Basically, we don't know how many rounds passed since V left the rest of the party, along with getting captured, O'Chul's actions, all that poo poo so it could very well be that Durkon is done with the spell. Just ignore the timing, for the most part it will happen at plot convenient times.

Besides, the "talking is a free action" rule has been a joke for years. People I play with will sometimes say "Well, I have a free action, I now recite the Gettysburg address". It's just a joke, the rule is meant to be used for things like "Look out" but the way it's worded is just horrible.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

I'm very curious to see if Roy gets to retain knowledge of everything he learned during his time as a ghost.

Sergeant Rock
Apr 28, 2002

"... call the expert at kissing and stuff..."

seaborgium posted:

Besides, the "talking is a free action" rule has been a joke for years. People I play with will sometimes say "Well, I have a free action, I now recite the Gettysburg address". It's just a joke, the rule is meant to be used for things like "Look out" but the way it's worded is just horrible.

It's a real rule, or at least used to be. But it's in Champions, where the Big Bad Guy is assumed to have an opportunity to give his Why I Will Now Rule The World speech without being pounded unconscious before he finishes inhaling.

See also comics by Chris Claremont, where people can agonise over their innermost soul-turmoil at length while flipping upside-down and grabbing a ledge.

Actually, on second thought, don't read comics by Chris Claremont.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
You just need to take the "monologuing as a free action" feat.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
I like that Shadowrun acknowledges "making a gesture" as a free action and then admits that it sounds weird and explains that it's meant for silent communication with hand signals. I don't remember talking, but I think they explained that only short messages, a sentence or two, for a free action. Any more costs additional actions.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Mystic Mongol posted:

Yes, I am saying exactly that. Otherwise

:argh: Apprentice, front and center! I ordered your mentor, the court wizard, to cast his spell half an hour ago, at which point he assured me it would only take five minutes! Why the delay?
:science: Sorry, m'liege. Someone on the other side of the planet is abusing the speech-is-a-free-action-in-combat rule. The last twenty rounds have lasted an average of two minutes each.

Edit: Time flows the same, but the division of time into rounds is different.

sfwarlock fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jun 17, 2009

Amused Frog
Sep 8, 2006
Waah no fair my thread!

sfwarlock posted:

Yes, I am saying exactly that. Otherwise

:argh: Apprentice, front and center! I ordered your mentor, the court wizard, to cast his spell half an hour ago, at which point he assured me it would only take five minutes! Why the delay?
:science: Sorry, m'liege. Someone on the other side of the planet is abusing the speech-is-a-free-action-in-combat rule. The last twenty rounds have lasted an average of two minutes each.

Edit: Time flows the same, but the division of time into rounds is different.

Yeah, no. A round is always the same amount of time (six seconds), which is another reason you couldn't fit the Gettysburg address into a free action and why it's meant just for short "look out!" "behind you!" "hit the wizard!" type things.

Edit: Also, Jesus Christ it's a D&D webcomic why are we doing this? We'll find out soon enough whether Roy has been raised.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

So I'm just going to quote this entire thread in grognards.txt okay?

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

HKR posted:

So I'm just going to quote this entire thread in grognards.txt okay?

Thank you for bringing that thread to my attention, it is a delight.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

RentACop posted:

Thank you for bringing that thread to my attention, it is a delight.

Quotin' this, that thread is a thing of beauty that has introduced me to the three greatest words in the English language.

Some nerd talking about his employment prospects after blowing an interview with Burger King posted:

Teaching freestyle nunchaku

I cannot read that without bursting out into delighted child-like giggles, no matter how many times I look.

Captain Controversy
Jan 25, 2007
eXCeSS bought me this account because I am a whiny BITCH!
You know, after reading Start of Darkness, I really want Redcloak to be the one who caps Xykon.

Donraj
May 7, 2007

by Ralp
Calling it now, when Redcloak turns on Xykon at the end he'll dramatically regenerate his eye.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Is freestyle nunchaku where you don't train in it at all and then assume your just good with it?

Cos in that case I'm freestyling this degree in medicine like nobody's business.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
More or less.

The Rooster
Jul 25, 2004

If you've got white people problems I feel bad for you son
I've got 99 problems but being socially privileged ain't one
Actually I just read Start of Darkness and [\spoiler]I have much less respect for Redcloak than I did before. He is exactly what Xykon describes him as, a bitch and a coward. If Redcloak turns on Xylon then I hope Righteyes daughter kills him. [\spoiler]

Spoilered since I don't know if everyones read Start of Darkness.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

The Rooster posted:

Not terribly well. Besides, why would she do that if he did turn on Xykon? The list for betrayer killers isn't short, and it starts with the Monster in the Dark and Tsukiko.

squibble
Sep 30, 2003

The Rooster posted:

Actually I just read Start of Darkness and [\spoiler]I have much less respect for Redcloak than I did before. He is exactly what Xykon describes him as, a bitch and a coward. If Redcloak turns on Xylon then I hope Righteyes daughter kills him. [\spoiler]

well done.

bison wings
Jan 30, 2007

Santa's greatest accomplishment was convincing the world he didn't exist

Mystic Mongol posted:

Not terribly well. Besides, why would she do that if he did turn on Xykon? The list for betrayer killers isn't short, and it starts with the Monster in the Dark and Tsukiko.

I'm thinking MitD stops being a team player longer before Redcloak ever does.

Hentaikid
May 18, 2005

by Peatpot
But he'd still be under the compulsion to eat redcloak even if he did himself rebel?

BTW, erfworld is updating in text only form, for those that care. Well, text + some illos.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

It's been six days since the last update, and I don't think I've ever seen a comic go up on Sunday, so it'll be tomorrow at the earliest.

Waiting a full week between updates sucks donkey balls.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Hentaikid posted:

But he'd still be under the compulsion to eat redcloak even if he did himself rebel?

BTW, erfworld is updating in text only form, for those that care. Well, text + some illos.

I read through Erfworld yesterday and its actually pretty good. The only real problem I had with it were the terribly unfunny internet cliches. Then I read their website updates... those are two creepy as hell people making that comic.

Hentaikid
May 18, 2005

by Peatpot
oh no not creepy people on the internet

:ohdear:

Captain Controversy
Jan 25, 2007
eXCeSS bought me this account because I am a whiny BITCH!

Hentaikid posted:

oh no not creepy people on the internet

:ohdear:

One of those great username/post combos.

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Fireworks for Christmas is absolutely American

ConfusedUs posted:

It's been six days since the last update, and I don't think I've ever seen a comic go up on Sunday, so it'll be tomorrow at the earliest.

Waiting a full week between updates sucks donkey balls.

When we got a big, badass comic every two days a week ago you shoulda seen this coming.

Maldraedior
Jun 16, 2002

YOU ARE AN ASININE MORT
I think he's got a good process going now. generally when a page ends open he's got an update out quick, and when we've got things basically wrapped up there's a bit of a gap, presumably so he can get ahead. it's possible he's just sick but considering we had a bit of a wait before V hit the tower and then a quick sucession of stuff happens updates it's probably intentional.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Maldraedior posted:

I think he's got a good process going now. generally when a page ends open he's got an update out quick, and when we've got things basically wrapped up there's a bit of a gap, presumably so he can get ahead. it's possible he's just sick but considering we had a bit of a wait before V hit the tower and then a quick sucession of stuff happens updates it's probably intentional.

You just know that since the strip's about to hit a "landmark" moment he's going to announce a two-week hiatus.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Calaveron posted:

You just know that since the strip's about to hit a "landmark" moment he's going to announce a two-week hiatus.

At the end of the last book he took almost a month off I believe.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
It's up

Looks like V has indeed crossed over to the Nastier Side of the Playground.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
So is the party still balanced because Belkar is being less evil?

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Nilbop posted:

It's up

Looks like V has indeed crossed over to the Nastier Side of the Playground.

Not yet, I don't think. I've always said the Familicide spell was unequivocally Evil, but I think V is probably still Neutral. Just tending more and more towards Neutral Evil.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

sfwarlock posted:

Note that Durkon is off panel. The res is probably done by now.

I love it when I have to eat my words.

Cytokinesis
Aug 18, 2008

He sees the power of a god behind it. A power that has bested him!
Ha, S. Rogers.

Looks like Heaven has some really good service.

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

Ashenai posted:

Not yet, I don't think. I've always said the Familicide spell was unequivocally Evil, but I think V is probably still Neutral. Just tending more and more towards Neutral Evil.

Nah, there's nothing evil about killing dragons at all, especially black* ones. It's pretty easy to identify the evil as 'making a demon pact for power.'

*lol racism

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

oobey posted:

Nah, there's nothing evil about killing dragons at all, especially black* ones. It's pretty easy to identify the evil as 'making a demon pact for power.'

*lol racism

They were both evil deeds, but who cares, I'm not getting into an alignment debate.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

I love how you guys are so busy arguing about alignment that you didn't even consider the implications of the last panel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Correnth
Aug 29, 2000

Cold hard science trumps ponies.

Fun Shoe
Cute touch with the "S. Rogers" sign, even though I feel way too nerdy for getting it.