Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

brc64 posted:

Quick question about XP Mode since I don't have the hardware to play with it on my system... does it provide an easy way to wipe/reinstall the base XP image it uses? Does it come preloaded, that is?

Yeah, the base image is preloaded, so if you back it up somewhere it can be dropped back in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonononomous
Jul 1, 2007
Is there any way to recalibrate how sensitive Windows is to a microphone? I have Win 7 dual booting with Win XP and when I use XP my mic works fine but Windows 7 can barely hear it.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Anonononomous posted:

Is there any way to recalibrate how sensitive Windows is to a microphone? I have Win 7 dual booting with Win XP and when I use XP my mic works fine but Windows 7 can barely hear it.

'Sound' control panel > Recording tab > Microphone properties >> Levels tab

Kiwillian
Mar 13, 2004

Poor Sheepy :(
Just trying this out now and it was "so far so good". Now, I have hit a snag - I was installing VS2010 beta and it wanted to reboot so I let it. After rebooting the setup didn't continue, so I opened up the My Computer thing and double clicked on the DVD drive (I burned it to DVD) and now it has locked up completely :(

I get the spinning circle of death on the explorer window but can't open task manager or anything, the whole UI is locked up.

Anyone had this before? Can I report this as a bug, maybe? I have a connect account if need be so I could report it there I guess.

Oh boy - I just banged on ctrl-alt-del and ctrl-shft-esc and now I have a white border around the start menu icon and the background got a white overlay over it.

Time to hard reset I think :(

Anonononomous
Jul 1, 2007

Sir Unimaginative posted:

'Sound' control panel > Recording tab > Microphone properties >> Levels tab

Yeah, that's already at full and it's not picking me up. I know the mic isn't broken because it works just fine in XP.

Also, my media players, both WMP and Winamp randomly stop working in Win 7. They just stop playing music. I have to reboot to make them work again.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Anonononomous posted:

Yeah, that's already at full and it's not picking me up. I know the mic isn't broken because it works just fine in XP.

Also, my media players, both WMP and Winamp randomly stop working in Win 7. They just stop playing music. I have to reboot to make them work again.

Which sound card do you have, and which drivers is Win7 using for it?

Anonononomous
Jul 1, 2007

Tagra posted:

Which sound card do you have, and which drivers is Win7 using for it?

Onboard sound on my Lanparty UT NF4 Ultra-D. Whatever the latest nvidia driver is that Windows Update found for it. Never had this problem in XP.

Nick VTX
May 16, 2002
Anyone know how to default start "earlier version of windows" versus Windows 7? When I boot my PC, it automatically highlights and loads Windows 7 and not XP and I can't seem to find a setting to default XP. I tried googling but only see XP listed in Boot.ini or Startup and Recovery option. tia

Mr.Grit
Jul 16, 2006

quote:

Anyone know how to default start "earlier version of windows" versus Windows 7? When I boot my PC, it automatically highlights and loads Windows 7 and not XP and I can't seem to find a setting to default XP. I tried googling but only see XP listed in Boot.ini or Startup and Recovery option. tia

right click computer - properties -advanced system settings -startup and recovery settings...

I need to read better... you already tried that...

Mr.Grit fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jun 25, 2009

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Nick VTX posted:

Have you tried EasyBCD with Windows 7?

http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1 is the site I think

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Has anybody else been having issues with custom pointers? I downloaded some cursors to my Documents folder, went into the control panel and set them, they work fine, and then when I reboot my cursor just defaults back. Saving it as a set hasn't worked. It's not a big deal, just kind of annoying.

Kiwillian
Mar 13, 2004

Poor Sheepy :(
This may have been discussed but this thread is long, what exactly does this ReadyBoost thing do? How does putting anything on a NAND flash device help things :confused:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

So for those of us running the RC (64-bit) as our primary OS and planning to do so for a good long while, what's out best course of action in the coming weeks and months? Is Microsoft planning to do an RC2 to test the proposed RTM? If not, are we stuck on an older version until they release and we pay? I assume if we tried to use the 72xx leaks with our RC keys then they'd fail and the system would deactivate.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Jun 25, 2009

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Kiwillian posted:

This may have been discussed but this thread is long, what exactly does this ReadyBoost thing do? How does putting anything on a NAND flash device help things :confused:

Readyboost basically caches to flash. It can be useful in single-drive systems, but even then it's generally not the best use of your flash memory because of probable long-term damage to its writability. It was basically a crutch to widen the range of Vista-certifiable hardware. Given the way technology is going, it's on its way out for anything shy of particularly hobbled netbooks, and it probably won't even hold out there past this generation.

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

MikeJF posted:

So for those of us running the RC (64-bit) as our primary OS and planning to do so for a good long while, what's out best course of action in the coming weeks and months? Is Microsoft planning to do an RC2 to test the proposed RTM? If not, are we stuck on an older version until they release and we pay? I assume if we tried to use the 72xx leaks with our RC keys then they'd fail and the system would deactivate.

They're not releasing anything else publicly until it goes on sale. But you can hardly call running the RC as an "older version" since its still the latest legit offering, and very few changes will be made between it and RTM.

If you somehow find a 7200 build, there's no telling if your key will work or not. I'd install to another partition so you can always go back if need.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
I've stuck with the 71xx builds, since reading the 72xx are pre-RTM builds that don't work with the beta/RC keys.

205b
Mar 25, 2007

:siren: Windows 7 preorders available tomorrow

Home premium is $49 and Professional is $99 but apparently there's limited quantities available.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
I am running build 7227 on one of my desktops and it works just fine with the RC keys (and fixed a number of bugs for me).

Kali11324
Dec 8, 2004

This space intentionally left blank

liquidXenon posted:

Home premium is $49 and Professional is $99 but apparently there's limited quantities available.
I don't see where you can actually pay for it though. Are all the preorders already gone?

I finally got it on and installed and I have two weird problems.

1. I was going from XP to Win 7 and I thought I did a clean install, but all my files are still here???? I want a clean install I want to wipe my whole hard drive and start fresh.

2. My sound no longer works.

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!

liquidXenon posted:

These are upgrades only though, correct?

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

Siroc posted:

These are upgrades only though, correct?

As in, you have to have XP, or Vista installed yes. But the upgrade allows you to do a clean install as far as I know.

billy cuts
Aug 14, 2003

wrists of fury
Buglord

Xenomorph posted:

I've stuck with the 71xx builds, since reading the 72xx are pre-RTM builds that don't work with the beta/RC keys.

7229 and 7260 both worked with my RC 32-bit key.

Nubile Cactus
Aug 1, 2004
I am a cactus. :)

tijag posted:

As in, you have to have XP, or Vista installed yes. But the upgrade allows you to do a clean install as far as I know.

If I recall correctly, other windows versions just had you insert a windows CD for verification before it would allow for a clean install. Hopefully this will do the same.

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!
So do you need to have a WinXP/Vista key, enter that, then it will let you do a fresh install using the upgrade? What about XP/Vista 32bit to 64 bit? Or these upgrades will just be 32-bit, wont they? Makes me just want to buy an OEM full version off newegg after its released.

Siroc fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jun 25, 2009

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Nubile Cactus posted:

If I recall correctly, other windows versions just had you insert a windows CD for verification before it would allow for a clean install. Hopefully this will do the same.
I think that changed with Vista. You actually had to have a qualifying previous OS installed to the drive in order to use an upgrade disc.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

xamphear posted:

I think that changed with Vista. You actually had to have a qualifying previous OS installed to the drive in order to use an upgrade disc.

Why does MS do this?!!! loving drives me insane. There is no good reason why you can't use your Vista or XP key and have MS look that up when activating the upgrade load. I don't actually see myself ever using an upgrade version because of this.

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began

xamphear posted:

Yes - this was true, but there was a workaround in that you could 'reinstall' an upgrade edition over a non-activated version of Vista. Not sure if this has been addressed in Win7 or not though.

Joker23
Aug 3, 2000

Forum Veteran
From the 1/2 off upgrade site FAQs:

quote:

Microsoft designed Windows 7 Upgrade media for Windows Vista. A customer with Windows XP can purchase Windows 7 Upgrade media but must back up their files, clean install, and then reinstall their applications.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Kali11324 posted:

I don't see where you can actually pay for it though. Are all the preorders already gone?

Microsoft Windows 7 site posted:

Come back on June 26, 2009 to find the retailers supporting the Pre-order offer.

Wait a day for it.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Readyboost basically caches to flash. It can be useful in single-drive systems, but even then it's generally not the best use of your flash memory because of probable long-term damage to its writability. It was basically a crutch to widen the range of Vista-certifiable hardware. Given the way technology is going, it's on its way out for anything shy of particularly hobbled netbooks, and it probably won't even hold out there past this generation.
ReadyBoost puts some paging on the flash because flash has tiny seek times and for small amounts of data this results in faster transfer for some operations. However, the rest of your post is off base. ReadyBoost's utility is not really related to how many drives are in the system, it has to do with how much memory you have. On <= 1GB ram systems it was useful. Second, the death of flash due to too many writes thanks to ReadyBoost is ridiculous. It would take years and years of use for that to damage the drive. You'll upgrade your computer before you'll run out of writes. Third, the certifyability of a system for the Vista logo program was not related to ReadyBoost usage. But you're correct that it's not much use today, when even netbooks have 2GB ram, but three years ago when Vista was released, sure, there was some benefit.

thedavid
Oct 29, 2004

Starting on 9/11 this year I've 'season passed' Keith Olbermann on my tivo.

Also, Golden Girls.

Siroc posted:

So do you need to have a WinXP/Vista key, enter that, then it will let you do a fresh install using the upgrade? What about XP/Vista 32bit to 64 bit? Or these upgrades will just be 32-bit, wont they? Makes me just want to buy an OEM full version off newegg after its released.

Dittoing this question... Will we be able to install an upgrade from vista 32 bit to windows 7 64 bit with these upgrades? I'd like to expand my memory on the machines I'm going to do it on, but there's no point in doing it if it stays 32 bit since they're already 'maxed out' on that side.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

thedavid posted:

Dittoing this question... Will we be able to install an upgrade from vista 32 bit to windows 7 64 bit with these upgrades? I'd like to expand my memory on the machines I'm going to do it on, but there's no point in doing it if it stays 32 bit since they're already 'maxed out' on that side.

From a license standpoint, you should be able to. In the Vista space 32 and 64 bit licenses were interchangeable.

You won't be able to upgrade a 32-bit install to a 64-bit install. You'll have to reinstall with 64-bit.

Kali11324
Dec 8, 2004

This space intentionally left blank
Apparently my sound card is just not compatible with Windows 7. I have Creative Labs Sound Blaster SB0460. The driver download site is all hosed up and just takes me around in circles.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
I am trying to find where I can select the order of network adapters to be used in windows, I am trying to get Titan Quest (whose networking is an abortion) working on my lan using hamachi - and it is suggested to order the adapters so that the game tries to use the hamachi connection before the other network connections.

Anyone know where to set this in 7?

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Kali11324 posted:

Apparently my sound card is just not compatible with Windows 7. I have Creative Labs Sound Blaster SB0460. The driver download site is all hosed up and just takes me around in circles.

Is it compatible with Vista?

edit:

You fail at google as well :P

It looke like you have the Xtreme Music, which has Vista drivers that should work.

http://forums.driverguide.com/showthread.php?t=30984

Stanley Pain fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jun 25, 2009

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
Microsoft has announced upgrade and full version pricing:

http://windowsteamblog.com/blogs/windows7/default.aspx

quote:

Finally, as a way of saying thank you to our loyal Windows customers, we are excited to introduce a special time limited offer! We will offer people in select markets the opportunity to pre-order Windows 7 at a more than 50% discount. In the US, this will mean you can pre-order Windows 7 Home Premium for USD $49.99 or Windows 7 Professional for USD $99.99. You can take advantage of this special offer online via select retail partners such as Best Buy or Amazon, or the online Microsoft Store (in participating markets).
Awesome! And as a Vista Ultimate user my pre-order price for Windows 7 Ultimate is...apparently $219.

WTF, Microsoft? You didn't give Ultimate users anything worth poo poo for the extra price we paid. And now you can't even throw us a bone to pre-order it for say, $110?

Bravo.

Bleepblorp3587
Jun 1, 2003
The pre-order pricing in the UK will be £50 for Home Premium and £80 (or £100, depending on the source) for Professional. HP is definitely a good deal.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I'm planning on getting a new computer soon, and I was going to install Windows 7 RC on it instead of buying Vista.

Say I want to buy an upgrade version of Windows 7 when it comes out (I own Windows XP Home). Do I have to wipe out Windows 7 RC, install Windows XP, and then install Windows 7 in order for the upgrade version to work? It would be much nicer to only have to stick in the XP CD for verification to keep my data I created while running Windows 7 RC, but previous comments in this thread make me believe I won't be able to do that.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I work with a bunch of techs and I swear I am the only person out of over 100 that actually buys an OS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alex007
Jul 8, 2004

LorneReams posted:

I work with a bunch of techs and I swear I am the only person out of over 100 that actually buys an OS.

What do the others do ? :filez: or they just never upgrade ?