Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

revolther
May 27, 2008

kapinga posted:

So you're taking the literal interpretation of "why do people feel entitled to a free OS" being that the computer is useless without one. That doesn't actually answer the topic at hand, which is why people pirate OSes.
Taking the literal interpretation? Topic at hand? I'm answering the question I quoted because that guy couldn't understand the sense of entitlement. I'm not solving the problem of fuckin' OS piracy but offering insight into why some people would feel entitled to this particular something for free.

Worse I've been sidetracked into explaining it twice, and now those explanations because you failed to grasp what I was clearly addressing the first time.

I wasn't approaching the "topic at hand" of OS piracy in this Windows 7 RC thread, that would be the topic at hand of a thread with a humorous title about OS piracy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CheeToS
Dec 25, 2003
Dangerously Cheesy
:neckbeard: I won one of Engadget's Windows 7 Upgrade Preorder discount codes.

Somebody else quoted this before:

quote:

I am running Windows XP, can I upgrade to Windows 7?

Microsoft designed Windows 7 Upgrade media for Windows Vista. A customer with Windows XP can purchase Windows 7 Upgrade media but must back up their files, clean install, and then reinstall their applications.

Do you need to have Vista or XP installed for the upgrade to work, or can you just give it a key or something? It would suck if I needed to install Vista first every time I decide to format.

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

CheeToS posted:

:neckbeard: I won one of Engadget's Windows 7 Upgrade Preorder discount codes.

Somebody else quoted this before:

Do you need to have Vista or XP installed for the upgrade to work, or can you just give it a key or something? It would suck if I needed to install Vista first every time I decide to format.

You should be able to use the Windows 7 install as the one you're upgrading from, and just do a clean install from the DVD. It worked in Vista, I don't think they'll change it with 7, although they might.

You will need to have whichever OS (XP, Vista, or 7) installed on the machine though.

CheeToS
Dec 25, 2003
Dangerously Cheesy

kapinga posted:

You should be able to use the Windows 7 install as the one you're upgrading from, and just do a clean install from the DVD. It worked in Vista, I don't think they'll change it with 7, although they might.

You will need to have whichever OS (XP, Vista, or 7) installed on the machine though.

Ah, as long as 7 is one of the supported OSes, that's perfect :)

McGrady
Jun 27, 2003

The greatest lurker of all the lower class lurkers.
College Slice

kapinga posted:

I'm confused on this part. I have a netbook that I installed windows 7 RC on and deleted the XP installation it came with to save space. If I get the upgrade version, in theory the first install would see I have windows 7 RC and upgrade from that? If, however, I format the SSD do I need to reinstall XP to install the upgrade?

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

kapinga posted:

And that leaves the original question - why do people feel that something as obviously complex to produce as an OS feel they deserve it for free?
There's an important point in here, and that is that people have no idea what building software is like. It's not "obviously complex" at all. There is zero concept of programming, UI testing, QA, etc etc etc that goes on in professional products like Windows. To them, they're just buying a DVD. Big deal, you can burn DVDs at home. At least with a car or a house, there's some notion of assembly than everyone can grasp, but there's literally none of that understanding for software.

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

Alex007 posted:

Am I right to assume getting windows updates is a pain in the rear end for them ? If yes, then gently caress them, they deserve to be part of a nice botnet and have their identities stolen or whatever.

No, you're totally wrong. They get updates and everything from windows itself. When you have a pirated version, which is just basically an edited version of the WGA that windows uses or whatever is, Microsoft is like "sup, you genuine?" and your computer says "yep no issues here" and their servers gives the green light. That's how I assume it works, because it behaves like a "real" version.

As for pirating windows, I haven't pirated windows ever personally, but frankly if I'm not getting the latest "full version" of Windows then I'm not interested. These "value packs" of home, and home premium and buisness and all this other poo poo are for the birds. One pack, that does everything, includes everything. No gimped copies of anything :colbert:

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Factor Mystic posted:

There's an important point in here, and that is that people have no idea what building software is like. It's not "obviously complex" at all. There is zero concept of programming, UI testing, QA, etc etc etc that goes on in professional products like Windows. To them, they're just buying a DVD. Big deal, you can burn DVDs at home. At least with a car or a house, there's some notion of assembly than everyone can grasp, but there's literally none of that understanding for software.

As an developer whose family is mostly tech-illiterate, the above facts are quite frustrating. It's as if I do nothing at all.

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

Gvaz posted:

No, you're totally wrong. They get updates and everything from windows itself. When you have a pirated version, which is just basically an edited version of the WGA that windows uses or whatever is, Microsoft is like "sup, you genuine?" and your computer says "yep no issues here" and their servers gives the green light. That's how I assume it works, because it behaves like a "real" version.

As for pirating windows, I haven't pirated windows ever personally, but frankly if I'm not getting the latest "full version" of Windows then I'm not interested. These "value packs" of home, and home premium and buisness and all this other poo poo are for the birds. One pack, that does everything, includes everything. No gimped copies of anything :colbert:

You realize that 7 professional will have everything that 7 home premium does, plus some? Seriously, before you buy Ultimate, take a look at the extra features and see if you would ever actually use them. Iirc, the main ones a home user might want are bitlocker and the ability to boot from vhd.

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

Factor Mystic posted:

I guess I assume that people who don't understand enough about computers to comprehend that an OS is complex also probably aren't intentionally pirating it. I see very little overlap between users who are actively pirating and those who don't know enough to comprehend that an OS is very complex. I imagine most people who just think of Windows as "a DVD" also aren't bothering to upgrade very often, like Univbee said about the macs.

But I don't have any evidence to corroborate this. If you cj's who have actually worked with clueless users who intentionally (this is key) installed a pirated version of Windows a lot, I'll conceed.

edit: whoops double post.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
One question I've been trying to find an answer for, both through Google and the OP, is what exactly happens to my XP key if I purchase a Windows 7 Upgrade?

I want to upgrade from XP to 7, but I'd like to have the ability to dual boot between XP and a new 7 install. If I use an Windows 7 upgrade key, will my XP install and cd-key become 'invalid' and lose its Genuine Windows status?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Fina posted:

If I use an Windows 7 upgrade key, will my XP install and cd-key become 'invalid' and lose its Genuine Windows status?

No, there is no mechanism for this to happen.

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america
Can I upgrade from Windows Vista Business to Windows 7 Home Premium?

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Anyone having the "black screen of death" issue after login with a 9800m gs

Every time I try install the drivers it just breaks.

iKickDogs
Aug 31, 2001

Amazon has the discounted pre-orders up:

Pro: http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Windows-7-Professional-Upgrade/dp/B002DHGM50/ref=sr_tr_2?ie=UTF8&s=aps&qid=1245989099&sr=8-2

Home: http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Windows-Home-Premium-Upgrade/dp/B002DHLUWK/ref=sr_tr_1?ie=UTF8&s=aps&qid=1245989099&sr=8-1

Peacefully Adrift
Jun 4, 2004

by angerbeet
Is anyone having issues with Windows 7 randomly dropping wireless connections after 10-15 minutes and requiring a reboot to fix it up? If so, anyone know of any workarounds? I recently picked up a WN311B from Netgear and I've seen a few posts from googling about others having the same problem, but no workarounds. This is infuriating.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

kapinga posted:

Ok, here's what I am wondering. I've read the past few pages and haven't seen anything regarding it.

I remember reading there is a way to modify a file in the installation stuff to allow someone to do an upgrade install from Win7 RC to the final. If I do this trick, can I upgrade from Win7 RC to the final version using the UPGRADE VERSION disc?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Alex007 posted:

Am I right to assume getting windows updates is a pain in the rear end for them ?

Nope it updates and functions 100% identical to an authentically store-bought copy.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Awesome it seems Asus motherboards can't handl Windows 7 if you upgrade it from Vista! :D :D :(

Any solutions besides the displayswitch /extend displayswitch /internal one?

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Just ordered Home Premium from Amazon. I couldn't beat $50 for a new OS. So I am wondering now....would it be worth it for me to install the release candidate or wait till it comes out?

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

Joe Don Baker posted:

Ok, here's what I am wondering. I've read the past few pages and haven't seen anything regarding it.

I remember reading there is a way to modify a file in the installation stuff to allow someone to do an upgrade install from Win7 RC to the final. If I do this trick, can I upgrade from Win7 RC to the final version using the UPGRADE VERSION disc?

Microsoft provided a way to modify the RC so that you could do a direct upgrade from the beta to the RC. They disabled it by default because beta -> RC doesn't give them any useful installation data.

They have not published if a similar technique will be available for RC -> Gold. It is possible that they use the same mechanism, but not a guarantee.

Regardless, assuming the installation mechanism hasn't changed from Vista, you should be able to pull the trick of installing 7 without registering it or entering a key, and then "upgrading" it using your legit update disc and key.

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Anyone having the "black screen of death" issue after login with a 9800m gs

Every time I try install the drivers it just breaks.

Tell me more about this. Sometimes when I wake from sleep, the cpu or gpu (i'm not sure which) fan goes crazy and my monitor won't display anything, even though it's receiving a signal. Does that sound familiar?

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Mr. Banana Grabber posted:

Tell me more about this. Sometimes when I wake from sleep, the cpu or gpu (i'm not sure which) fan goes crazy and my monitor won't display anything, even though it's receiving a signal. Does that sound familiar?

I guess. I just doesn't do poo poo. I'm at a complete loss.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Just ordered Home Premium from Amazon for 50 bucks.

This is the first time I've ever actually upgraded a Windows install instead of just waiting to get a new computer with it.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Canadian prices: $65 for Home Premium Upgrade, $125 for Professional Upgrade.

Kodo
Jul 20, 2003

THIS IS HOW YOUR CANDIDATE EATS CINNAMON ROLLS, KODO
I don't know if this has been mentioned and I apologize if it has, but current windows 7 RC users are eligible for the upgrade prices:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/home?os=win7

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Built 4 Cuban Linux posted:

Can I upgrade from Windows Vista Business to Windows 7 Home Premium?

no

Talisman
Jul 13, 2002

I LOVE VORE AND UNBIRTHING
So if I purchase the upgrade, what happens when I need a clean reinstall?

Do I have to install the RC first then the upgrade?

Talisman fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Jun 26, 2009

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Xenomorph posted:

I'm trying to remember how many floppies my copy of Windows 95 was. 12-14.

I know Windows for Workgroups 3.11 was 8 floppies. Only the first 6 were needed for the base install. I forget what the last two were for.

Windows 95 was closer to 20 floppies that I remember.

Greenfield
Jan 27, 2005

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Awesome it seems Asus motherboards can't handl Windows 7 if you upgrade it from Vista! :D :D :(

Any solutions besides the displayswitch /extend displayswitch /internal one?

The only way I could get 7 to install is if I did an upgrade. If I tried a clean install it just froze. This is on an Asus P5W DH deluxe.

Blaminator
Apr 16, 2007

"He seriously didn't go mech?"
I've tried both an upgrade, then a clean install, worked flawlessly on my P5Q PRO

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

was it confirmed you can get away wait no key install for W7 like you can in vista then load up the key post install? Does this effectively means they are selling windows 7 for 100 dollars?

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

phosdex posted:

Windows 95 was closer to 20 floppies that I remember.

The original was 13 floppies, or a CD. The Cd had a bunch of stuff you didn't get if you used the floppies.

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!
Does the Win7 upgrade include both 32 and 64 bit, or just 32 bit?

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
This whole EU business has had some interesting knockon effects for us in the UK.

There will be no upgrade editions available in the EU but to compensate the full retail prices are reduced slightly until the end of December. In addition, the Windows 7 pre-order offer in the UK will be for the full version of the OS and not the upgrade like it is in the US.

If I can get hold of a pre-order copy then it looks like it's worked out well for me!

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

kapinga posted:

Regardless, assuming the installation mechanism hasn't changed from Vista, you should be able to pull the trick of installing 7 without registering it or entering a key, and then "upgrading" it using your legit update disc and key.

This would be like 2 installs? The first installation would be a clean install, then as soon as that is finished, do another 'upgrade' install. Interesting.

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?

Siroc posted:

Does the Win7 upgrade include both 32 and 64 bit, or just 32 bit?

I came here to ask the same thing. I assume it's both, as the requirments list seperately for 32bit and 64, but I'd like to know for sure before I drop $100 on a couple licenses.

thedavid
Oct 29, 2004

Starting on 9/11 this year I've 'season passed' Keith Olbermann on my tivo.

Also, Golden Girls.

PFC.Spengler posted:

I came here to ask the same thing. I assume it's both, as the requirments list seperately for 32bit and 64, but I'd like to know for sure before I drop $100 on a couple licenses.

The documentation states that you can't upgrade from 32-bit to 64 bit, you'll have to do a clean install if you want to do that. The verbage suggests that they're both on the same disc.

Seekhay
Sep 11, 2001

College Slice
Edit: I'm an idiot who should read more carefully.

Seekhay fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jun 26, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deltawing
Sep 20, 2007

feels good man

deltawing posted:

Can you open Briefcases from an XP computer in Windows 7?

I'm having not responding issues with opening briefcases :/