Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kovner
Mar 22, 2003

He LITERALLY grew wings and ascended to heaven where God blessed him with this God-like defense-burning capability.
So I'm thinking about running this RC, but I have a bit of a weird situation: I am currently running 3 monitors, but since my mobo doesn't have two PCI-express slots, one of my graphics cards is a 8800 GT and the other is a PCI (standard) 8400 GS.
32 bit XP doesn't seem to like this, and on every clean install of windows I have to mess around a while before it works, but it goes a long with it.
Is there any reason to expect this situation to not work in windows 7?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Un-l337-Pork
Sep 9, 2001

Oooh yeah...

Download this from Microsoft, burnt to a DVD, booted off the DVD, got "Windows" intro screen, got a background with a mouse cursor that I can move around and... nothing. The setup windows never come up. What the gently caress, what a piece of poo poo.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Un-l337-Pork posted:

Download this from Microsoft, burnt to a DVD, booted off the DVD, got "Windows" intro screen, got a background with a mouse cursor that I can move around and... nothing. The setup windows never come up. What the gently caress, what a piece of poo poo.

Try removing all non-essential USB stuff and any secondary monitors and try again.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug
What is a good lightweight ISO mounting program? I don't care about any emulations for copy protection stuffs like daemontools does, just something to mount some ISOs. I was under the impression that Windows 7 could mount ISOs without any 3rd party software but I'm not finding anything.

ItalicSquirrel
Sep 6, 2004

Pablo Gigante posted:

Anyone install Windows 7 on a MacBook/Pro via Boot Camp? I was wondering how the driver support is.

Yes, and as long as you have the OSX disc that came with the machine, you should be fine.

I had Vista running on my ~15 month old MBP in Boot Camp, and just installed Win 7 right over it. No problems - in fact, the keyboard support seems much less flaky. (Brightness/keyboard backlight/media controls all work perfectly.)

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Linux Nazi posted:

What is a good lightweight ISO mounting program? I don't care about any emulations for copy protection stuffs like daemontools does, just something to mount some ISOs. I was under the impression that Windows 7 could mount ISOs without any 3rd party software but I'm not finding anything.

Virtual CloneDrive.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Kovner posted:

So I'm thinking about running this RC, but I have a bit of a weird situation: I am currently running 3 monitors, but since my mobo doesn't have two PCI-express slots, one of my graphics cards is a 8800 GT and the other is a PCI (standard) 8400 GS.
32 bit XP doesn't seem to like this, and on every clean install of windows I have to mess around a while before it works, but it goes a long with it.
Is there any reason to expect this situation to not work in windows 7?

Just speaking from my Vista experience where my father was in a similar situation... he has 8 monitors running on XP. Running the Vista upgrade adviser showed that the new WDM introduced cares greatly on using 2 different driver models. Here's the catch though: he had Matrox and Nvidia drivers running at the same time. I think that as long as you're consistent with driver models, it should work and at worst you won't be invited to the Aero glass translucency party.

You might try running the Vista upgrade adviser and see if it bitches at your video cards.

cadmium
Feb 16, 2002

Just 'aving a laff...

kapinga posted:

You may or may not be able to install with that. Some OEMs put special flags in the bios and prevent the disc from installing if it doesn't see them.

I have used a Dell install CD to install to an HP machine before, so ymmv.

Does the old OS have to be installed or do you just need the disc?

Crack
Apr 10, 2009
Can I upgrade my WIn 7 Beta to 7 E, or will I have to scratch?

Mensur
Aug 1, 2007

EnGAYge!

Mensur fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jun 14, 2013

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Abderian posted:

What is "7 E"?

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

beejay posted:

What is "7 E"?

I'm assuming the European version that excludes Internet Explorer so Microsoft doesn't get fined another fifty trillion dollars.

And no one knows whether you can do the upgrade from RC/Beta > RTM, maybe, maybe not. Only sure thing is we'll find out when RTM is released.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Abderian posted:

From what tech news has reported, E versions aren't even available as upgrades.

(Note to self: Next time, quote the correct reply.)

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Sir Unimaginative posted:

From what tech news has reported, E versions aren't even available as upgrades.

(Note to self: Next time, quote the correct reply.)

EDIT: Here's what I've heard, although it's not 100%:

- Upgrade versions will be offered EVENTUALLY but not immediately upon release, they're aiming for Dec. 31st 2009.

- The full version will cost what the upgrade edition would have cost in Europe with Microsoft's normal pricing scheme (i.e. the full version will be relatively cheaper than in other parts of the world)

- Upgrade installs won't be possible.

univbee fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jun 28, 2009

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Got the U.S. and Canadian prices and discounted pre-order links up. Anyone have links to other countries, like the U.K. or parts of Europe?

Interesting thing I noticed is that the Ultimate edition of Windows 7, if we ignore the promotional pricing, is barely more expensive than the Professional edition, which really makes me wonder why they bothered. It's $20 extra to go from Pro to Ultimate; with that kind of price difference, they should have just dropped Pro and made it Ultimate. I was expecting a more dramatic difference, like with Vista.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
I'm having problems sharing my printer. I have a Home Group w/password set up and and I set it to share.

The other Win7 computers I have wont see it.

Any suggestions?

Rekka
Feb 1, 2004

oh god, it's.... THE DOOOO!

univbee posted:

Got the U.S. and Canadian prices and discounted pre-order links up. Anyone have links to other countries, like the U.K. or parts of Europe?

Interesting thing I noticed is that the Ultimate edition of Windows 7, if we ignore the promotional pricing, is barely more expensive than the Professional edition, which really makes me wonder why they bothered. It's $20 extra to go from Pro to Ultimate; with that kind of price difference, they should have just dropped Pro and made it Ultimate. I was expecting a more dramatic difference, like with Vista.

I wonder if I can buy Windows 7 professional at the pre-order price. Install it when it's out and use the 'anytime upgrade' feature of 7 and buy an upgrade to ultimate for about $20.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Dr Tran posted:

I'm having problems sharing my printer. I have a Home Group w/password set up and and I set it to share.

The other Win7 computers I have wont see it.

Any suggestions?

I assume you've joined the home group on the other machines?

Any form of software firewall on the host machine? Can you access its file shares?

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

fishmech posted:

Uninstall your programs? Delete your music/videos?

Buy a 0.5 terabyte hard drive for $80 http://www.google.com/product_url?q...AAA&gl=us&hl=en ?

I have plenty of HDD on this laptop but seeing as how I'm just running the RC to try it out, I only partitioned 20 GB. I have about 6.4 GB left over after installing and deleting my backup images. It'll work as I don't plan on installing anything here and don't plan on using it for anything other than web browsing and chatting, but I was just trying to see if I could get more free space with what I have.

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

cadmium posted:

Does the old OS have to be installed or do you just need the disc?

You will almost certainly have to have it installed.

If you want to stay perfectly legitimate, you will most likely have to buy a full version. Since the only OS you are certain you can have installed on your machine is the RC, it's difficult to recommend the (non-refundable? I assume so) purchase of the upgrade version.

dsh
Aug 2, 2003
I just ordered my Windows 7 Professional upgrade. I am running a pretty old install of Vista, so I'd like to do a clean install. Since I have the upgrade, will I have to re-format and install Vista again, or can I just give it my old Vista product key or something during the install?

edit: I'm a retard it's on the last page.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Ziir posted:

I have plenty of HDD on this laptop but seeing as how I'm just running the RC to try it out, I only partitioned 20 GB. I have about 6.4 GB left over after installing and deleting my backup images. It'll work as I don't plan on installing anything here and don't plan on using it for anything other than web browsing and chatting, but I was just trying to see if I could get more free space with what I have.

Your required minimum hard drive space for 7 is 15 gigabytes, according to Microsoft. There's not really anything you can remove.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Greenfield posted:

I tried to google for this but I couldn't find an answer. Is there anyway to stop gadgets from 'snapping' to the edge of the screen? The two that I use don't snap the same distance from the edge and it is bothering me.

Hold shift as you position them.

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

Ziir posted:

Disabling hibernate should free up as much hard drive space as you have RAM.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/819-hibernate-enable-disable.html

My 64 bit install (which MS says requires 20GB) only took 15GB or so.

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

MikeJF posted:

Hold shift as you position them.

:aaaaa: Oh god I love you so much.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

WTFBEES posted:

My 64 bit install (which MS says requires 20GB) only took 15GB or so.

Alright, I think I need some help. I made a 30gb partition on my drive for the x64 RC, because it was supposed to only take 15. So I figured 20 for windows and a whole 10gb to install whatever little applications that I was going to nuke when I formatted it anyway.

After install of windows, it said 25g were used already. I poked around and system restore only claimed to be using a few hundred mb, I cleaned out system files and whatnot, and couldn't really reclaim any of it, so I just left it alone figuring "oh well". I just looked now and I'm down to 1.8GB free. :psyduck: where is it going?

I poked through the public folders since things like WoW like to drop their goddamn patch files there even though they're on other drives, but it's all clean... I DO have 8GB of RAM which might explain some of it if there's a hibernate file somewhere sucking it all up, but I disabled hibernate and a search for "hib" only brings up the power options in control panel, no hibernate related files that I could find.

Where can I look to find my space?

Tagra fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jun 28, 2009

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Tagra posted:

Alright, I think I need some help. I made a 30gb partition on my drive for the x64 RC, because it was supposed to only take 15. So I figured 20 for windows and a whole 10gb to install whatever little applications that I was going to nuke when I formatted it anyway.

After install of windows, it said 25g were used already. I poked around and system restore only claimed to be using a few hundred mb, I cleaned out system files and whatnot, and couldn't really reclaim any of it, so I just left it alone figuring "oh well". I just looked now and I'm down to 1.8GB free. :psyduck: where is it going?

I poked through the public folders since things like WoW like to drop their goddamn patch files there even though they're on other drives, but it's all clean... I DO have 8GB of RAM which might explain some of it if there's a hibernate file somewhere sucking it all up, but I disabled hibernate and a search for "hib" only brings up the power options in control panel, no hibernate related files that I could find.

Where can I look to find my space?

Disabling hibernation didn't free up any space until I ran it from the command line.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Ziir posted:

Disabling hibernation didn't free up any space until I ran it from the command line.

:woop: 8GB free. Thank you!

I also discovered where some of the rest of it went... apparently my TVersity media server is saving the files shared onto C despite my shared servers being on E. I'll have to see if I can beat it into submission.
[edit]ohhh those are its temporary files from transcoding. I just told it not to use so much space so it will delete them after it's done. Goddamn that was almost another 8GB sucked up right there since it also set it to the RAM amount :doh:

Tagra fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jun 28, 2009

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

One thing I'd like to mention: the "minimum requirements" for Windows 7 that Microsoft claims aren't the "true" minimum requirements. Windows 7 WILL run with 512 megs of RAM (better than Vista does, too), and it will install unmodified on an 8 gig partition, as many netbook owners can attest (it'll even fit on a 4 gig partition if you remove the backgrounds and crap like that). It's just you won't be able to do anything extra you'd typically want to do with the OS, like install Office and games and music and stuff. Microsoft learned their lesson from Vista (which really should have had a "1 gig required" minimum) and are forcing these new minimums for 7 to make sure people don't bitch about it being slow. But if you just want something basic and know what you're doing, it will work with less.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Just installed the latest RC of x64 7, as an upgrade from x64 Vista Ultimate. System specs: Athlon 64 X2 5200, 4GB DDR2 800 RAM, 400GB HD, GeForce 8600 GT, IDE DVD-ROM/burner.

Initial impressions:

Very easy, though time consuming, upgrade process. Pop DVD in while at the Vista desktop, answer a few questions, then wander off for an hour and a half while it does its thing and reboots a gazillion times.

Takes longer to boot than Vista did, but once everything is up and running, seems to run a little bit quicker.

Had a hard time getting my Realtek AC'97 sound working, but I had the same problem in Vista and XP (yes I have a lovely generic motherboard) - the problem was exaggerated by having a hard time finding the proper drivers on Realtek's Engrish site. My webcam was also a little funny, I had to reinstall the drivers for it once 7 came up and also download an update to the software it came with. Ironically, it's a Microsoft webcam, less than 6 months old at that. However, it's now working.

Going to take some time to get used to the new taskbar - for now I've turned off grouping since I tend to have 5+ IM windows open at a time.

Comodo Personal Firewall doesn't work in 7 (the rest of the security features of the Comodo suite do work). Thankfully the built in 7 firewall looks like it's pretty good.

So far, aside from the new taskbar, it basically feels like my Vista installation, just a little more responsive. Haven't tried gaming under it yet though.

The only annoyances so far are my firewall of choice not working and the webcam issues. The sound was easy enough to fix.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Jun 28, 2009

Mr. Slave
Oct 24, 2006

by Fistgrrl
It looks better and performs better... but has issues (pre release no doubt) ... just looks like a glorified vista copy to me. I will probably upgrade (again ... went back to vista after realizing a few of my fav programs aren't yet compatible) when the time is right.

WizardShotFood
Jun 18, 2001

Nuking nutrients.
After running the RC for a few weeks now I really want to get in on the preordering, but I cant find any participating store listed for the UK, anyone heard rumours of which stores or sites are going to be doing it? I'm hoping amazon at least but theres no info yet.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

WizardShotFood posted:

After running the RC for a few weeks now I really want to get in on the preordering, but I cant find any participating store listed for the UK, anyone heard rumours of which stores or sites are going to be doing it? I'm hoping amazon at least but theres no info yet.

Amazon will probably do it, but the pre-ordering for the UK doesn't start until July 15th anyway.

Metajo Cum Dumpster
Mar 20, 2005
I have an old computer I don't use with a windows xp pro serial sticker on it. Can I use that key to get a $50 upgrade to Win7?

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

I can't find any information on it, but will the preorder special be available for Australia? I'd like to snag a cheaper copy if possible, for sure, but it doesn't have any Australia store there :(

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Tried to search, but goddamn if this isn't a big thread, so apologies if it's been asked:

At this point, if I install the release candidate of Windows 7, will it reboot every two hours? I'd still like to use it for a bit before deciding on purchasing a full copy, without being bothered every two hours. I read the OP but I'm just trying to verify that.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

bradzilla posted:

Tried to search, but goddamn if this isn't a big thread, so apologies if it's been asked:

At this point, if I install the release candidate of Windows 7, will it reboot every two hours? I'd still like to use it for a bit before deciding on purchasing a full copy, without being bothered every two hours. I read the OP but I'm just trying to verify that.

If you're using the RC you can download from Microsoft, it won't start doing that until March 1st of next year.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

bradzilla posted:

No, the Beta times out, the RC will last until March 1 2010.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
So I just rebooted and two of my Gadgets (the clock and calendar) just completely vanished, and I can't open the "Gadgets" window from the right-click menu when I clock on the desktop. What the hell? I'm running the RC (7100).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outer Science
Dec 21, 2008

Daisangen

Charles Martel posted:

So I just rebooted and two of my Gadgets (the clock and calendar) just completely vanished, and I can't open the "Gadgets" window from the right-click menu when I clock on the desktop. What the hell? I'm running the RC (7100).

I don't know about the RC, but in the Beta, turning off UAC prevented the use of gadgets. Try messing with your UAC settings.