Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

Virigoth posted:

Rescue Me - again.

It gets a little soap operay in Season 3 if I remember but I can get through that.

I quit watching the show at that point. I think it was basically 'let's find who we can get Denis Leary to sleep with'.

Still going through The X-Files, beginning to end, and enjoying it. At the start of Season 4 and I just saw Home for the 4th or 5th time, it's just as disturbing as it was all the other watches. The only thing I'm not looking forward to is Cancer Man's son, I really disliked what I remember of him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rapsey
Sep 29, 2005
I'm going through Northern Exposure. That was one of the first series I ever watched and I've had quite a bit of nostalgia for it for a while.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Rapsey posted:

I'm going through Northern Exposure. That was one of the first series I ever watched and I've had quite a bit of nostalgia for it for a while.

That's the one with the moose in the street and the bubble house guy right? I remember being a kid and watching that show with my parents.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
My little brother (who is 19) sat me down to watch the first few episodes of Avatar: The Last Airbender a few days ago. I watched just to humor him (he swore it was a fantastic show), but I got sucked in on frame one. What a fantastic show. The animation is above and beyond the standard these days, and it isn't afraid to tell a story. The characters are genuinely interesting and even though it sometimes relies on kid-humor, I can easily look past that because everything else about it is so well done.

3 days later and I'm in the middle of season 2. This only lasted 3 seasons?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

ComposerGuy posted:

It was planned from the get-go to last three seasons, one for each element Aang had to learn.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Nate RFB posted:

It was planned from the get-go to last three seasons, one for each element Aang had to learn.

Ah, that makes sense. In a way I'm glad, since it shows they had a plan from the beginning. That's probably a big part of why the show is as good as it is. As I said, I'm only about half-way into season 2 currently. One thing I did appreciate is just how well they introduced a completely new character (Toph) and actually made her likable. So many shows fail miserably with that.

Jarl
Nov 8, 2007

So what if I'm not for the ever offended?

ComposerGuy posted:

My little brother (who is 19) sat me down to watch the first few episodes of Avatar: The Last Airbender a few days ago. I watched just to humor him (he swore it was a fantastic show), but I got sucked in on frame one. What a fantastic show. The animation is above and beyond the standard these days, and it isn't afraid to tell a story. The characters are genuinely interesting and even though it sometimes relies on kid-humor, I can easily look past that because everything else about it is so well done.

My little sister (age 14) did the same to me back during the Christmas vacation.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Jarl posted:

My little sister (age 14) did the same to me back during the Christmas vacation.

I really was not expecting to like it at all. My brother is an anime fan, and I just don't understand the appeal. So I figured Avatar was going to basically be a western take on the genre. While it is, in a sense...it's a lot more than that. The storytelling is leaps and bounds above anything I've ever seen an anime pull off and the premise is actually interesting. The world is thought out and its bounds are clearly defined. It's obvious a lot of thought went into the show and the attention to minor details is commendable. With a "kids" show, you don't have to pay attention to details...but the creators did it anyway.

It seems to me that the art style and a lot of the thematic material is clearly anime (well, eastern anyway) inspired, but the writing itself is western, at least in execution, and I think that makes the show something really special.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
I have to agree on Avatar. I've only seen the one movie, at a friend's house when I was too stoned to argue with the selection. I was surprised at the depth and the morality to it.

Can I Phaser You
Dec 8, 2006

fuk dis moss covered rock
I was pleasantly surprised to discover that Big Love is actually a fantastic show. At first I thought there would be no way I could get over the initial premise (polygamy), but the show succeeds because it goes a lot deeper than that, and explores human problems.

Of course, it's also fun to see the Mormon worldview and try to understand it.

Bill Paxton does an outstanding job, on top of everything else.

waar
Sep 29, 2001

Can I Phaser You posted:

I was pleasantly surprised to discover that Big Love is actually a fantastic show. At first I thought there would be no way I could get over the initial premise (polygamy), but the show succeeds because it goes a lot deeper than that, and explores human problems.

Of course, it's also fun to see the Mormon worldview and try to understand it.

Bill Paxton does an outstanding job, on top of everything else.

I just came to this thread to post this. I just binged through the 3 seasons of Big Love and absolutely loved it, especially Bill Paxton and Chloe Sevigny, and especially the 3rd season, although all of it was fabulous. I too haven't gotten around to giving this HBO show a try for the longest time because of the premise - it sounded boring and sappy. But HBO has made me realize that the premise of a show can be the most ridiculously silly thing that I thought I'd never have any interest in and still come out to be a great show because everything about it is just quality.

Going to go watch the 3 prequel episodes now

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

waar posted:

But HBO has made me realize that the premise of a show can be the most ridiculously silly thing that I thought I'd never have any interest in and still come out to be a great show because everything about it is just quality.

That's why you should watch the premiere of Hung tomorrow night :)

Jarl
Nov 8, 2007

ComposerGuy posted:

I really was not expecting to like it at all. My brother is an anime fan, and I just don't understand the appeal. So I figured Avatar was going to basically be a western take on the genre. While it is, in a sense...it's a lot more than that. The storytelling is leaps and bounds above anything I've ever seen an anime pull off and the premise is actually interesting. The world is thought out and its bounds are clearly defined. It's obvious a lot of thought went into the show and the attention to minor details is commendable. With a "kids" show, you don't have to pay attention to details...but the creators did it anyway.

It seems to me that the art style and a lot of the thematic material is clearly anime (well, eastern anyway) inspired, but the writing itself is western, at least in execution, and I think that makes the show something really special.

The show also have some heavy themes for one mainly aimed at kids. Like genocide.

Also besides the animation art and style clearly being influenced by anime and eastern animation in general the cultures of the setting have an eastern theme throughout. Although the races are primarily Caucasian.

LostBanana
Mar 8, 2005

I just started Carnivale last week. I'm near the end of season one and so far I really like it. I do hope Brother Justin's plot goes somewhere, because right now his scenes seem boring in comparison to Ben Hawkins' plot. I'm really not sure what the hell is going on with his story. But I still have four episodes left of the season.

I heard that it was stopped after season two quite abruptly and I fear that I'm in for a massive cliffhanger. I hope I'm wrong. :smith:

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Aw man, you poor naive soul :smith:

Atargatis
Mar 23, 2007

run, run
her kiss is a vampire grin
Farscape.

I miss it :(

Jarl
Nov 8, 2007

euromyne posted:

Farscape.

I miss it :(

A few friends just recommended it to me yesterday, but looking it up on imdb I was not impressed.

Atargatis
Mar 23, 2007

run, run
her kiss is a vampire grin

Jarl posted:

A few friends just recommended it to me yesterday, but looking it up on imdb I was not impressed.

If you like scifi, it's worth watching the first few episodes before you judge. :) I held off on watching it for a long time because I just couldn't be bothered, but after the first season it became one of my favourite shows ever.

Druck
Jul 25, 2002

"That's some kinda nice."
Breaking Bad. I got 3 episodes left in season 2 and it's loving awesome. What should I watch next, The Wire or Band of Brothers? I'm leaning towards BOB since it's pretty short. Also any other recommendations are always welcomed!

waar
Sep 29, 2001

Druck posted:

Breaking Bad. I got 3 episodes left in season 2 and it's loving awesome. What should I watch next, The Wire or Band of Brothers? I'm leaning towards BOB since it's pretty short. Also any other recommendations are always welcomed!

You should definitely watch both, but I'd watch Band of Brothers first simply because it's shorter, then start on The Wire and finish it because it's the best show that's ever been

Tiborax
Jun 15, 2008

Who's afraid of Virginia Woolf?
I just finished up four seasons of How I Met Your Mother, and I recently started on Oz. So far, I've been fairly impressed by the show, and I will definitely never look at J.K Simmons (the dad in "Juno") the same way EVER again. :eek:

Can I Phaser You
Dec 8, 2006

fuk dis moss covered rock

waar posted:

Going to go watch the 3 prequel episodes now

THERE ARE 3 PREQUEL EPISODES?!

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Jarl posted:

Farscape starts out like you might expect from its late-'90s sci-fi roots, but A. it's a product of the Henson workshops, and B. by the second season it goes off the rails and becomes brilliant. I may have said this before, but if it were made today it'd still be ahead of its time.

Translate the aesthetic of The Dark Crystal to a sci-fi setting, and invert Star Trek and throw in a healthy dose of LSD, and put it all in a blender. That's Farscape. If that doesn't sound appealing then it's probably not for you, it's definitely one of those things I can see why not everyone would like it. But if it does, you should give it a chance.

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

EX-GAIJIN AT LAST posted:

Farscape

Also the second episode sucks, so just ignore it :shobon:

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I recently started watching Torchwood and I'm 4 episodes in. I have no foreknowledge of Doctor Who so the whole thing strikes me as a little bit strange, but overall it's enjoyable, if incredibly bizarre and inconsistent at times. The whole thing feels very foreign and British, and I'm not entirely sure what to make of it. There's a lot of adult content which I found surprising, as well as some extremely horrible special effects and dialogue. It's redeemed by a rare adult perspective on sex and relationships that you don't encounter on American television, so that's good. The lead character of Jack Harkness is like a gay Han Solo/Mal Reynolds which I can certainly appreciate.

Is it worth sticking with this show at all? Do the monster of the week plotlines get any better? Because right now they're really quite bad and I'm only watching it because I vaguely enjoy the characters and premise.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I think most people will just tell you to stop watching Torchwood.

Leviathan
Oct 8, 2001

I hear the jury's
still out.. on science.
Fun Shoe
Regarding Deadwood, the story arc with the reverend is one of the most brilliant ones I've seen in awhile and it works on so many levels, both in the show and allegorically. Also, the scene where Mr. Wu illustratively describes the opium robbery to Swearengen is goddamned hilarious. I highly recommend binging through this show.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Apr 10, 2007

You have no fucking idea how hungry I am

kaworu posted:

I recently started watching Torchwood and I'm 4 episodes in. I have no foreknowledge of Doctor Who so the whole thing strikes me as a little bit strange, but overall it's enjoyable, if incredibly bizarre and inconsistent at times. The whole thing feels very foreign and British, and I'm not entirely sure what to make of it. There's a lot of adult content which I found surprising, as well as some extremely horrible special effects and dialogue. It's redeemed by a rare adult perspective on sex and relationships that you don't encounter on American television, so that's good. The lead character of Jack Harkness is like a gay Han Solo/Mal Reynolds which I can certainly appreciate.

Is it worth sticking with this show at all? Do the monster of the week plotlines get any better? Because right now they're really quite bad and I'm only watching it because I vaguely enjoy the characters and premise.

I'm going to play against type and say keep watching - episodes 10, 11 and 12 are excellent sci-fi/drama. In fact, skip to them. Then episode 13 is terrible and I haven't seen the second series, so it's up to you.

LostBanana
Mar 8, 2005

Leviathan posted:

Regarding Deadwood, ... I highly recommend binging through this show.

That's next on my list, so good to know. :)

kaworu posted:

I recently started watching Torchwood and I'm 4 episodes in.

I liked Torchwood, but everyone else seems to hate it. It's definitely not high quality writing at all, but it's fun. I had binged through Doctor Who (new, though I want to watch some of the older one too), so I kind of understood the universe already. I like to describe it as Buffy and the X-Files smashed together. If that's your thing you'll probably like Torchwood, just know it has a far lower budget than either of those shows.

Kifisonfire
Jan 15, 2008

Just finished all 4 seasons of Battlestar Galactica, surprised how much I loved it since I don't usually watch sci-fi.

waar
Sep 29, 2001

Can I Phaser You posted:

THERE ARE 3 PREQUEL EPISODES?!

Yup! Three of them: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1062454/

I still haven't gotten around to watching them though, been busy

vicky thump
Jun 28, 2009
The last TV binge I had was How I Met Your Mother. I went through all seasons in a week, I think. Then I decided I didn't get enough the first time, so I watched all the seasons again. Slightly mindless, but man, I looove Barney Stinson.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

The Duke posted:

I've been stockpiling shows for when I get bored at home this summer and I just started watching Mad Men season 1 (pretty good so far), and I'm going to be starting on True Blood and Scrubs (season 2).

I just got Mad Men for my birthday (season 1) and I love it. The only complaint I have is that there's so little of it: Matthew Weiner is so good at having so much of the plot be unspoken and take a while to develop that 13 episodes feel like no time at all. I'm watching all the commentaries now to try and catch the details before I go rent season 2.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

We finally finished up Deadwood this weekend and now I'm depressed that there's no more. *sigh*

waar
Sep 29, 2001

waar posted:

Yup! Three of them: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1062454/

I still haven't gotten around to watching them though, been busy

Wait what the heck, ok these aren't actual episodes just little clips

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Entourage season 5 comes out tomorrow :dance:

Anukis
Jan 23, 2006

I'm an empathetic, sensitive, educated, intellectually curious non-idiot. Hi.
I've been going back through Veronica Mars again, and wow, yeah, now I remember why I hold it in such high regard.

It was kind of amazing how many times I squealed in joy at familiar moments from the first few episodes.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

LostBanana posted:

I liked Torchwood, but everyone else seems to hate it. It's definitely not high quality writing at all, but it's fun. I had binged through Doctor Who (new, though I want to watch some of the older one too), so I kind of understood the universe already. I like to describe it as Buffy and the X-Files smashed together. If that's your thing you'll probably like Torchwood, just know it has a far lower budget than either of those shows.

I'm almost done with the first season now and I actually like it a lot more than I did at first. I completely agree that the writing is not high quality, and Cap'n Jack gets all the good lines, but it does have a certain cool factor. I sort of like the low-budget charm, to be honest. I'm a bit surprised that it gets such a bad reputation, it doesn't seem any worse than most silly sci-fi shows and it doesn't even pretend to take itself seriously which is a big plus. Buffy and The X-Files smashed together is a good way of putting it, maybe with a little Queer as Folk thrown in.

That's my favorite part about it, honestly. I think every one of the five main characters has at least kissed a member of the same sex, if not done a lot more, yet none of them adhere to any gay stereotypes whatsoever. I can honestly say that this is the only television show in existence about which this can be said.

SMP
May 5, 2009

I'm about to finish The Shield after about 10 days of watching all day. The beginning of each season is slow but it sets up for an explosive last half, sorta like the Wire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
I'm currently flying through the first season of How I Met Your Mother. I have a feeling that the other 3 seasons aren't going to survive the 3-day weekend coming up.