Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

EpicNemesis posted:

EDIT: I'm a retard and forgot that I setup my TV as a second monitor, which for some reason defaulted to my main monitor.

Ouch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

EpicNemesis posted:

How long did it take for window 7 to boot up the first time? I just installed it and it seems to be frozen at startup, I got passed the boot screen but now it just says "windows 7 Evaluation copy. Build 7100" in the bottom right corner of a black screen.

EpicNemesis posted:

Rebooted three times now, I'm going to reinstall to see if that fixes it. It installed in less than an hour, rebooted itself, gets passed the startup screen and then just hangs on a black screen. This is a x64 install too if that changes anything.

Do you possibly have a second monitor hooked up but not turned on? Possibly a TV or something? Sometimes Windows assumes you want dual desktop but decides the wrong monitor is the main monitor and thus you end up seeing just the extended black desktop. I had this issue yesterday (HTPC hooked up via both VGA and HDMI) and it drove me nuts for quite a while.

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

Does anyone know if my Windows Vista Home Premium upgrade edition will qualify me for an upgrade to a Windows 7 edition? I'm not really too educated when it comes to operating systems.

Sorry to ask this, especially if it's already been answered but I don't have the time at the moment to read the thread for the answer.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

keratas posted:

Does anyone know if my Windows Vista Home Premium upgrade edition will qualify me for an upgrade to a Windows 7 edition? I'm not really too educated when it comes to operating systems.

Sorry to ask this, especially if it's already been answered but I don't have the time at the moment to read the thread for the answer.

If it doesn't , you only could have upgraded from XP, and XP qualifies for upgrade to 7.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

kapinga posted:

It was "allowed" with Vista - you could use the upgrade key to upgrade from the free trial version of Vista. That didn't stop people from buying the full version anyways - its far more convenient to only install the OS once, and its more 'legit' if you care about these things.

Exactly why we're using :airquote: :) If you don't really care about how legit your install may or may not be, upgrade is probably the wisest choice.

MrBishop
Sep 30, 2006

I see what you did there...

Soiled Meat
I've had build 7100 installed for a few weeks now, and it's been fantastic. Well, almost.... I've read of others having trouble with power management, and maybe this is related, not really sure. What happens is that if the system is idle for a while (a couple hours at least), then when I try to do something with it it seems unresponsive. In my power configuration, I have it set to just turn off the monitor and hard drives after a while, not to go to sleep. When I move the mouse, the monitor comes back on and I can see my cursor moving around, but Windows is unresponsive to clicks or keyboard input.

Sometimes it will come out of this after a few minutes and everything will work fine, but sometimes I've waited as long as 15 minutes and just do a hard reset to get going again. Note that this is when it's completely idle, if a download is running for example this doesn't happen.

I'm experiencing this on two different machines (my desktop and my notebook), so it doesn't seem isolated to hardware. Anyone else seeing this, know of a fix?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
When my content drive turns off I notice it can take about 10 or 15 seconds to play a song as it spins up the drive, which I can hear happening through the magic of interference in my front headphone jack.

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004
I am having this wierd problem where my mouse will like freeze every 5-10 seconds or so, for like a split second. Its getting irritating.

Anyone else see this? This is a logitech revolution mouse, the only thing I can think of is that I updated nVidia's drivers (originally downloaded by Windows 7) to the latest nVidia drivers without removing the old ones first, don't know what else it could be.

sheepdemon
Feb 15, 2004

. . . before turning the gun on himself
So i've been running the original win 7 beta since release without issue, only of course now that beta release is deactivating so im trying to upgrade to 7100. Only issue is when I start setup I get an error that says something along the lines of "Windows cannot find a space for temporary file, please clear at least 800mb from your boot disk". This despite there being about 400gb free on my main disk, and at least 100gb free on the others. Halp.

wang souffle
Apr 26, 2002
How stringent is the check for XP/Vista in the upgrade process? I'd like to build a new machine with the cheap upgrade price but don't have a spare license for XP or Vista at the moment. Is there anywhere that sells XP licenses for super cheap these days?

Gooofy
Apr 19, 2008
My windows 7 install no longer displays thumbnails of pictures as their icons. Does anyone know how to fix it?

I tried googling it but the solutions on google are not working for me.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Gooofy posted:

My windows 7 install no longer displays thumbnails of pictures as their icons. Does anyone know how to fix it?

I tried googling it but the solutions on google are not working for me.

Do you have the option ticked in folder options?

Anonononomous
Jul 1, 2007
Is there a way to up the sensitivity of a mic in W7? My dual boot machine picks it up just fine under XP but under 7 it is too quiet. Only the first few columns of pixels ever turn green on the sound test page. I've already set it to 100% sensitivity under the sound options.

Gooofy
Apr 19, 2008

c0burn posted:

Do you have the option ticked in folder options?

Yep.
I assume you are talking about this:

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/007dbf629e.jpg

Blaminator
Apr 16, 2007

"He seriously didn't go mech?"

Gooofy posted:

Yep.

Oh dear.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Gooofy posted:

Yep.

YA DONE hosed UP

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Gooofy posted:

Yep.

Hmmn, its not often you see someone make this kind of cock-up.
But hey, Keeley Hazell's 2008 FHM shoot was kinda hawt.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Gooofy posted:

Yep.

That's some collection.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Gooofy posted:

Yep.

I'm...still not sure which box to check. Could you provide several more screenshots with thumbnails on?

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
I cannot see this picture and I NEED to.

Edit: Ok, it works now, this is golden

As a serious answer, try clearing your thumbnail cache using Disk Cleanup in the Start Menu

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

Gooofy posted:

Yep.

Thanks for seeding you dick.

As for your problem, I have the exact same settings as you and my pictures come out as thumbnails.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Anonononomous posted:

Is there a way to up the sensitivity of a mic in W7? My dual boot machine picks it up just fine under XP but under 7 it is too quiet. Only the first few columns of pixels ever turn green on the sound test page. I've already set it to 100% sensitivity under the sound options.

My mic as well has been really quiet under w7, but was fine on Vista. I'm interested to see what the answer is.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
Q: Game sound goes down in volume by 50% when I attempt to voice chat in it. What's happening?

A: Windows 7 auto-detects the use of VoIP solutions and does automatic volume adjustments to compensate. Going into the sound properties and making the change in the below screenshot will disable this and effectively handle sound volume identically to Vista.

From the OP. I assume that this is the problem you're talking about.

Nick VTX
May 16, 2002
Thanks! That worked like a charm.

Sweeper posted:

Have you tried EasyBCD with Windows 7?

http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1 is the site I think

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Dogen posted:

When my content drive turns off I notice it can take about 10 or 15 seconds to play a song as it spins up the drive, which I can hear happening through the magic of interference in my front headphone jack.

That's just how it happens when hard drives spin down. You can either disable hard drives spinning down to save energy or you can set up some task that frequently accesses that one drive so it doesn't spin down.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

I've never purchased an "upgrade" OS before. If I buy the home premium upgrade, will I be able to do a fresh install in a new partition, or does it HAVE to be upgrade from Vista/XP?

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Xenomorph posted:

That's some collection.

Indeed. It also reminds me I need to watch Penn & Teller's Bullshit again.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

fishmech posted:

That's just how it happens when hard drives spin down. You can either disable hard drives spinning down to save energy or you can set up some task that frequently accesses that one drive so it doesn't spin down.

I know. I was just saying that it should only take 10 or 15 seconds to happen, so that's probably not his problem. I should have been more clear. I certainly don't mind it as long as it's saving power/wear on the drive, though if it's not I would consider disabling it.

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

angryhampster posted:

I've never purchased an "upgrade" OS before. If I buy the home premium upgrade, will I be able to do a fresh install in a new partition, or does it HAVE to be upgrade from Vista/XP?

You will be able to do fresh installs, but it is unclear if you can install to a new partition. XP/2000 will not be able to do an in place upgrade, only a clean install, even with an upgrade key.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Can we stop acting like children and get back on topic?

I love jumplists. Does everyone else love jumplists? I am very disappointed with programs that haven't adopted them yet.

Pidgin needs a jumplist that lists my top few contacts so I quickly open IM windows to them.

Firefox needs jumplists of bookmarks and most visited sites and tab previews.

My SSH client needs a jumplist of my saved sessions so I can launch right into one like you can with the Remote Desktop Client.

My RSS reader needs a jumplist that shows feeds with new items.

VVVV Yeah, I saw that, but it's a nasty hack and I'd rather wait for it to be implemented straight into the code or via an Add-On. I'm a picky bitch.

xamphear fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jun 30, 2009

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

xamphear posted:

Firefox needs jumplists of bookmarks and most visited sites and tab previews.

https://brentf.com/blog/software/winfox-ndash-firefox-and-windows-7/

Anonononomous
Jul 1, 2007

OMGWTFJohnny posted:

Q: Game sound goes down in volume by 50% when I attempt to voice chat in it. What's happening?

A: Windows 7 auto-detects the use of VoIP solutions and does automatic volume adjustments to compensate. Going into the sound properties and making the change in the below screenshot will disable this and effectively handle sound volume identically to Vista.

From the OP. I assume that this is the problem you're talking about.

That's not it at all. I can't even set the mic up in Windows without a game, or other VoIP program, running. I also told it not to change anything, anyway.

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005

angryhampster posted:

On a related note if we buy the upgrade but are currently using win7 rc do we have to format install vista, then install window 7 again or do you think we will be able to go straight from the RC to retail.
EDIT: unrelated note, how do I disable the user select screen

TangyRaptor
Apr 10, 2006
Seasoning not included.

EpicNemesis posted:

On a related note if we buy the upgrade but are currently using win7 rc do we have to format install vista, then install window 7 again or do you think we will be able to go straight from the RC to retail.
EDIT: unrelated note, how do I disable the user select screen

I haven't used an upgrade copy of Windows since XP but you used to be able bypass installing an old OS by putting an older version of Windows into the CD drive when prompted. Again, I haven't tried this in around 8 years, so the process may have changed.

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

TangyRaptor posted:

I haven't used an upgrade copy of Windows since XP but you used to be able bypass installing an old OS by putting an older version of Windows into the CD drive when prompted. Again, I haven't tried this in around 8 years, so the process may have changed.

This was changed in Vista - with Vista the OS you were upgrading needed to be installed. It would be wise to assume that continues with 7.

EpicNemesis, that is probably exactly what you will have to do, but we shall see.

DeathBySnooSnoo
Apr 20, 2006
The vertical expression of a horizontal desire.
I'm running RC 7100 64-bit and the clock in my system tray isn't updating unless I open it and force it to update from the internet. The system time itself isn't off - the mobo battery isn't dead. I don't get it.

I'm kind of shocked this hasn't been mentioned in this thread before because I assume someone else has dealt with this too

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Anyone here been having problems getting their wireless 360 controller to work in games? Windows 7 found my controller's receiver from Windows Update and installed it. The controller responds fine when I test it out in the control panel, but for Windows games I can clearly use it in, it won't respond at all. Do I need an additional driver or something?

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Has anyone found a reliable way to get punkbuster to work on windows 7? I've googled it, but haven't found anything that makes sense. I just want to play bf2 :(

ItalicSquirrel
Sep 6, 2004

xamphear posted:

Can we stop acting like children and get back on topic?

I love jumplists. Does everyone else love jumplists? I am very disappointed with programs that haven't adopted them yet.

I love Live Messenger for this, and I wish Zune acted more like Windows Media Player in this respect. I'd love to have media controls (<< |> >>) on a jumplist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Holy gently caress this program is a train wreck. Keeps a useless window open on the desktop, adds a useless entry to the aero peek taskbar window, and crashes whenever you look at it funny.