Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

-Blackadder- posted:

Hmmm I guess I need to give this show another try. I watched the first episode but it just seemed like your run-of-the-mill kids cartoon. How many episodes does it take to get sucked into this show? And would you say it's more of a light episodic comedy or a serial drama?
The first half of the season is good, but it's somewhat episodic and there's one REALLY bad episode (The Great Divide). Episode 13, "The Blue Spirit", was the point in which I thought the show really hit its stride and I wanted to see it through to the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

dk2m posted:

I finished Californication about a week ago and I loved every second of it. Absolutely hilarious show, David Duchovny is somehow perfect for the role of Hank. The thing is, I was watching X-Files on and off simultaneously and the juxtaposition was quite entertaining.

Count Choculitis
Sep 13, 2007

I love you, Shepard. I always have. I want to understand what this is between us... and make it real.
I started Avatar yesterday and I LOVE it. I'm on episode 9 now and it is just hilarious. I was worried it would be annoying because it's a kids' show, but I think the characters are all just great. Especially Appa, and Sakka, they crack me up. And I hope this guy with the cabbages is a recurring character, because I laugh my rear end off every time he yells "MY CABBAGES!!" If that makes me a 10-year-old, I can accept it.

I'm also getting further in Veronica Mars, and you guys were so right, it's incredible. I'm so sad that Troy turned out to be a huge tool. What a jackass. And yesterday I "realized" he was Iceman from X-Men, but then I looked it up and apparently it's his twin brother, that I didn't know he had. Weird! Sad he's gone though, he was great until he turned out to be a dick. That episode about Lucas and his dad was really good too, but it took me like the whole episode to go, "Hey, that's Uncle Marty from Harper's Island!" I'm excited to see more of Lucas's story, my friend told me he's the main love interest, kind of. And who freakin killed Lily! I can't wait to find out!

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Watched all of Season One of Breaking Bad in a day this week. So far so good- I'm thinking that this show is worth watching for Bryan Cranston alone. His acting really is just top-notch, and i'm hoping Season Two is more of the same.

This is the first show i'm watching post The Wire :eek:

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

Count Choculitis posted:

I'm also getting further in Veronica Mars, and you guys were so right, it's incredible. I'm so sad that Troy turned out to be a huge tool. What a jackass. And yesterday I "realized" he was Iceman from X-Men, but then I looked it up and apparently it's his twin brother, that I didn't know he had. Weird! Sad he's gone though, he was great until he turned out to be a dick. That episode about Lucas and his dad was really good too, but it took me like the whole episode to go, "Hey, that's Uncle Marty from Harper's Island!" I'm excited to see more of Lucas's story, my friend told me he's the main love interest, kind of. And who freakin killed Lily! I can't wait to find out!

Or is he? :ssh:

Count Choculitis
Sep 13, 2007

I love you, Shepard. I always have. I want to understand what this is between us... and make it real.
Talk about a binge, just finished season 1 of Avatar and I just started it yesterday. Ho-ly crap. This is SUCH a good show. That season finale was incredible. I feel like I'm going to be finishing the show this weekend.

LostBanana
Mar 8, 2005

I'm half way through season 2 of Carnivale and I decided to put it aside for a while. I did the same thing with Six Feet Under when I had about four episodes left. I waited for three months to finish that show because I just didn't want it to end. I feel the same about Carnivale.

Please don't end. I love it too much.

Good news though. Rome is on its way. :dance: I've heard good things about it, so hopefully it'll ease the pain of ending Carnivale a little bit. Hopefully.

Guildenstern
Feb 22, 2005

by T. Finn
Currently going through season 3 of House - not binging, watching two episodes a day on average because its formulaic nature is very binge-unfriendly, but I've become horribly addicted. I think the fact that every episode follows the same structure actually helps drag you in, it works kind of like comfort food. It's a ways away but I'm already terrified by the idea that I'll run out of episodes to watch.

I was almost turned off that show by most of Season 2 and the Tritter arc in Season 3, but I kept going and don't regret it. I wonder how I could have missed such an awesome show for so many years (other than it not being on TV where I live for the longest time).

Please tell me this show doesn't jump the shark later on?

FullMetalAussie
Mar 4, 2009

Ask me about the faghunter, throwing shrimp on the BBQ and dingoes eating babies
Chuck
Dollhouse
The Wire

Jarl
Nov 8, 2007

So what if I'm not for the ever offended?
My little sister, who earlier had forced me to watch Avatar, wanted us to have a Death Note marathon, and given her track record I gave her the benefit of the doubt.
No regrets, great show. Still I think the first 1/3 of the show was the strongest, although at the end it got back on track.

I loved the awkward Judas reference with the foot rub. ;)

Jarl fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Jul 5, 2009

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Jarl posted:

My little sister, who earlier had forced me to watch Avatar, wanted us to have a Death Note marathon, and given her track record I gave her the benefit of the doubt.
No regrets, great show. Still I think the first 1/3 of the show was the strongest, although at the end it got back on track.

I loved the awkward Judas reference with the foot rub.

Yeah, Death Note is easily one of the greatest television experiences I've ever had. I describe it as an experience because it really felt like that's how much I got into it. But the dip in quality after L dies is absolutely soul crushing. Still the very end did leave me extremely melancholy and pensive.

Absolutely great, great show that should be watched by everyone.

To contribute I'm planning on starting Avatar soon, thanks to all the hype it's getting. Also going to give Code Geass another try. I originally dropped it around the 6th episode when they spent the entire time chasing a cat that stole the main characters secret helment.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Jul 5, 2009

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Leviathan posted:

Regarding Deadwood, the story arc with the reverend is one of the most brilliant ones I've seen in awhile and it works on so many levels, both in the show and allegorically. Also, the scene where Mr. Wu illustratively describes the opium robbery to Swearengen is goddamned hilarious. I highly recommend binging through this show.

Every scene with Swearengen and Mr. Wu is a classic.

White cocksuckas!
Well, at least I taught you that fuckin' word.

I'm also glad to see so much love for Avatar. I first got into it halfway through Season 2 and it really is a spectacular program.

I'm not binging through anything at the moment, but I heard that Battlestar Galactica is getting an Ultimate Edition Blu-Ray release near the end of this month so I might pick that up.

Un-l337-Pork
Sep 9, 2001

Oooh yeah...

Finished The Wire about 4 months ago. Moved onto Breaking Bad (and ended up watching the last few episodes of season 2 as they were aired). Didn't have much work to do last week so I blew threw the first 2.5 seasons of Weeds. I thought that show would be more like Breaking Bad in terms of realism -- I didn't realize that it is completely off the wall and nuts. Even so, it's a fun show -- sort of like Weeds:Drug Dealing::Dexter:Serial Killing.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Dexter. I don't know why I resisted it so long...I liked the first episode, I just didn't have the passion to continue. Now I just finished up the second season and am starting on the third and...well, it's incredibly entertaining. Halfway through the second season I called Doakes being pinned for the murders and my wife and I were howling with anticipatory laughter. However, as the finale loomed, that looked less and less likely before loving psycho arsonist saves the day! Great show.

At work, I've been watching naughty HBO/Showtime comedies since they're easy to burn through between customers. Eastbound & Down was hilarious, so now I'm waiting for the second season, and in the meantime I'm binging through Californication (two episodes in, and apparently my prayers for a TV series based on Roger Dodger have been answered) and juggling all the other premium shows that are airing.

Now you're giving me that look, right now, look like I fingerbanged your cat.

Leviathan
Oct 8, 2001

I hear the jury's
still out.. on science.
Fun Shoe

RoryGilmore posted:

Easily the best gif on TVIV if you get the reference Also, Veronica Mars and Avatar are lukewarm shows

Mitthrawnuruodo
Apr 10, 2007

You have no fucking idea how hungry I am
I've been binging through Coupling by Steven Moffat over the last couple of days - he's taking over Doctor Who so I wanted to see what was what. Oh my god it's hilarious. So what if the format is a ripoff of Friends and Seinfeld, it's one of the funniest drat shows I've ever seen. A simple search on a popular video website yielded the entire series.

Also started on Avatar season 1, it is pretty cool but I'm annoyed, only the first 4 episodes of season 2 have been released in Australia.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Mitthrawnuruodo posted:

I've been binging through Coupling by Steven Moffat over the last couple of days - he's taking over Doctor Who so I wanted to see what was what. Oh my god it's hilarious. So what if the format is a ripoff of Friends and Seinfeld, it's one of the funniest drat shows I've ever seen. A simple search on a popular video website yielded the entire series.

Also started on Avatar season 1, it is pretty cool but I'm annoyed, only the first 4 episodes of season 2 have been released in Australia.

Series 4 is terrible. Jeff leaves and is replaced by a crappy actor.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Apr 10, 2007

calandryll posted:

No Jeff? But he's the best!

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

Mitthrawnuruodo posted:

No Jeff? But he's the best!

Yes he is and it really does take away from the show sadly enough.

Competition
Apr 3, 2006

by Fistgrrl

Count Choculitis posted:

I am now four episodes in to Veronica Mars and my friend told me that it is not a happy-go-lucky show and the ending is not "uplifting." Without spoilers, is this true? I don't wanna get sucked in to a show that's just gonna be depressing and have a sad finale. :(

With the season 3 ending you can tell that they got cancelled.

It's decent enough but there are a couple loose ends they don't really tie up (not major plot points though), I would have liked to hear how the creator wanted it to finish.

Sleepy Stupor
Apr 30, 2009

Do us a favour, get yourself an exorcist.
Just finished watching Carnivale.

I'm actually feeling a deep loss after watching the last episode. The remaining 4 seasons had the potential to be absolutely amazing.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Competition posted:

It's decent enough but there are a couple loose ends they don't really tie up (not major plot points though), I would have liked to hear how the creator wanted it to finish.

There was some talk of a movie but sadly just the other day Kristen Bell said it probably isn't going to happen.

edit: link

http://www.slashfilm.com/2009/07/02/kristen-bell-doesnt-think-a-veronica-mars-movie-will-ever-happen/

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

Even though I don't get the station, thanks to the marathon on sci-fi, a thread was posted about The Twilight Zone. So I just started to go off of recommendations in that thread, and have seen 3 so far.

Jiminy Cricket
Feb 5, 2008

Flight Suit Up!
I'm 8 episodes into Dexter season 1. I really enjoy it so far, I'm being quite disciplined in only watching one a night before I go to sleep, but I guess that still qualifies as binging.

I find that it's a similar sort of show to Veronica Mars in many ways - both main characters narrate the show, both are social pariahs etc. Then, structurally both shows have a main over-reaching arc throughout the series with mini-arcs/mysteries each episode while also exploring the social lives of the characters. I love it, loving awesome show.

I thought it was loving obvious though that the doctor was the Ice-truck killer from the moment he was on screen. Although with 4 episodes left there could be a big twist I suppose.

Echoing the support for both Chuck and How I Met Your Mother, they are both great, I must have watched HIMYM from Pilot to latest episode at least 3 times.

I feel like I should start watching either the Sopranos or the Wire after i've finished Dexter. Anyone got any thoughts on which one I should go for?

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

I am the undisputed king of an infinite amount of nothing, don't correct me when I'm wrong, I'm proud to wear the crown of fools
Binged through Dexter Season 2 and Weeds Season 4 recently. I'm slowly making my way through Star Trek: The Next Generation, on season 2 at the moment. I tried the new Battlestar Galactica but it just doesn't do much for me. It's also one of the few instances I can point out where the directorial decisions detract from the show; the shakycam, oversaturated color, and the insistence upon showing an external shot of a ship from a distance only to do a shaky zoom two seconds later are really distracting. I gave up on it halfway through season 1.

Also, thanks to Netflix, I've been burning through Party Down, having watched 7 episodes in the last few days. It's nice to see some Ricky Gervais-style humor that's toned down a few notches.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Not that it's important, but I would say if anything BSG has undersaturated color. Are you sure you didn't watch the 1978 series by mistake? :v:

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

I am the undisputed king of an infinite amount of nothing, don't correct me when I'm wrong, I'm proud to wear the crown of fools

EX-GAIJIN AT LAST posted:

Not that it's important, but I would say if anything BSG has undersaturated color. Are you sure you didn't watch the 1978 series by mistake? :v:

It's been a few weeks since I've watched it, and maybe I'm using the wrong word, I just mean the parts (flashbacks in particular if I remember correctly) where everything was at once bright and washed out, similar to much of the Tony Scott film Man on Fire. I think I just dislike the technique in general, not just in BSG, since I believe the same technique is used for the flashbacks in Dexter (though thankfully Dexter avoids shakycam).

Count Choculitis
Sep 13, 2007

I think you're talking about when they're on Caprica. They make it really bright and yellow, I think to show how messed up the whole place is since it was nuked to oblivion and they're all getting radiation sickness. The season 1 finale is amazing, and the whole show is just one of the best ever, in my opinion, so if you can stand to watch any more, at least get to that finale, it's awesome.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Ah, they definitely did use that. I'm not sure what you would call that, gamma maybe? But saturation has to do with colors and not necessarily brightness. Edit to include Count Choculitis: that would be a filter of some kind, I believe. Anyway there is no use arguing because there's no possible way for anyone to change his mind on stylistic choices.

Winifred Madgers fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jul 7, 2009

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

I suppose technically I haven't fully given up on it, as I still have the DVDs. I'm able to borrow DVDs where I work (new/used record store) and I haven't returned the set yet, I just haven't touched it in a few weeks. I may give it another chance since I'm already on disc 3 of 5 at this point and we don't have anything else at the store that I want to swap it out for at the moment.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

If it's not doing it for you by now, I'm not sure how much the rest of it is going to change your mind. They certainly don't let up on the stylistic elements, so you'll just have to tolerate them or hope they grow on you. For me, the style is a significant part of why I do like it; it's just a matter of taste. I'm not trying to talk you out of watching the rest of it, but I wouldn't expect any one thing in it to suddenly change your opinion.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Apr 10, 2007

calandryll posted:

Series 4 IS terrible! Does Jeff lite ever get any better after the first episode? Good god.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

Mitthrawnuruodo posted:

Series 4 IS terrible! Does Jeff lite ever get any better after the first episode? Good god.

Unfortunately, he does not, there is a cameo by Jeff in one of the last episodes.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Jiminy Cricket posted:

Echoing the support for both Chuck and How I Met Your Mother, they are both great, I must have watched HIMYM from Pilot to latest episode at least 3 times.

After I went through HIMYM at warp speed a couple months ago, I started almost immediately on a rewatch knocking off a couple episodes a night, which I finished the other day. I have no idea how I missed this show for four years, it's one of the best things I've ever seen. And I also have no idea how Cobie Smulders isn't a huge star already.

I started Veronica Mars last night, just based on the first two episodes I'm pretty sure I'm going to enjoy it.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Competition posted:

I remember reading somewhere that Veronica ends up at the FBI. At least in terms of long term character closure.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

To ease the post-Deadwood blues we ordered the series set of The Wire. Normally I wouldn't spend that kind of money on something I've never seen, but everybody seems to universally praise it.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

AcidCat posted:

To ease the post-Deadwood blues we ordered the series set of The Wire. Normally I wouldn't spend that kind of money on something I've never seen, but everybody seems to universally praise it.

We do not praise The Wire - we merely bask in the recognition that "The Wire" is the greatest hour long drama of all time. Be warned though, it can start slow. However, if you are strong of heart and pure of faith, you too can join our ranks.

Cart
Sep 28, 2004

They see me rollin...

Mitthrawnuruodo posted:

Yeah the new guy never stood a chance.

Seasons 1-3 were great though, some really sharp writing and unique episode structure and worked great as a raunchier Friends.

Aluminum Record
Feb 2, 2008

When you rip off the breakaway pants, thrust your pelvis toward the bachelorette.

Paragon8 posted:

I remember reading somewhere that Veronica ends up at the FBI. At least in terms of long term character closure.

That was where they were going to take the show, they even filmed like a 5 minute pilot of her in the FBI on her first assignment busting a pedo school principal. It's on the final season DVD special features.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aluminum Record
Feb 2, 2008

When you rip off the breakaway pants, thrust your pelvis toward the bachelorette.
quote != edit

Guildenstern posted:

Currently going through season 3 of House - not binging, watching two episodes a day on average because its formulaic nature is very binge-unfriendly, but I've become horribly addicted. I think the fact that every episode follows the same structure actually helps drag you in, it works kind of like comfort food. It's a ways away but I'm already terrified by the idea that I'll run out of episodes to watch.

I was almost turned off that show by most of Season 2 and the Tritter arc in Season 3, but I kept going and don't regret it. I wonder how I could have missed such an awesome show for so many years (other than it not being on TV where I live for the longest time).

Please tell me this show doesn't jump the shark later on?

Oh no, it does not. They mix things up a bit with the formulaic episodes when House hires a gaggle of interns and makes the selection process into a gameshow, but the underlying patient-an-episode is pretty much still there. The final few episodes of both season 4 and 5 are epically good, you will love them.