Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Stanley Pain posted:

Overall your system isn't that great for playing most modern games :|

What games are you trying to play?

It's actually pretty awful, the CPU and GPU are also pretty crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

big mean giraffe posted:

I was trying to be nice :shobon:

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Stanley Pain posted:

Overall your system isn't that great for playing most modern games :|

What games are you trying to play?

Well, first of all, I went into services.msc and MSConfig and disabled an absolute shitload of superfluous and unnecessary services which were sucking up RAM and CPU time and now things seem to be running considerably better. Prototype still runs like poo poo but that appears to be sound related and occurred in XP too.

Games like Supreme Commander and even Homeworld 2 weer running like poo poo but the aforementioned steps seem to have fixed that issue. Same goes for the video stuttering. Apparently one of the myriad services that 7 crams into memory (or perhaps a combination thereof) was sucking down enough CPU time that it was chugging like hell. I've seen this problem posted about all over the 'net and yet what I just did wasn't suggested anywhere that I looked, yet it worked like a treat.

big mean giraffe posted:

Hold on then while I conjure money out of my rear end so I can buy a liquid nitrogen cooled umpteen core hypercomputer with 64 gigs of RAM and a USB blowjob device.

Hexenritter fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Jul 7, 2009

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

CitrusFrog posted:

Well, first of all, I went into services.msc and MSConfig and disabled an absolute shitload of superfluous and unnecessary

I'm going to pretend you didn't do that :P

CitrusFrog posted:

USB blowjob device.

I want me one of these. Moreso if it has a suck/blow switch on it ;)

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

CitrusFrog posted:

Hold on then while I conjure money out of my rear end so I can buy a liquid nitrogen cooled umpteen core hypercomputer with 64 gigs of RAM and a USB blowjob device.

You could build a computer for $400 or less than ran games a lot better than the one you have now. I'm pretty sure Prototype will never run above 'crap' on a p4 system, especially with an 8600.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

CitrusFrog posted:

Well, first of all, I went into services.msc and MSConfig and disabled an absolute shitload of superfluous and unnecessary services which were sucking up RAM and CPU time and now things seem to be running considerably better.

Stop doing poo poo like this.

CitrusFrog posted:

Prototype still runs like poo poo but that appears to be sound related and occurred in XP too.

You're trying to run a game that came out less than 1 month ago on hardware that was built >5 years ago? Hmm... Let's look at this for a moment.

CitrusFrog posted:

Games like Supreme Commander and even Homeworld 2 weer running like poo poo but the aforementioned steps seem to have fixed that issue. Same goes for the video stuttering. Apparently one of the myriad services that 7 crams into memory (or perhaps a combination thereof) was sucking down enough CPU time that it was chugging like hell. I've seen this problem posted about all over the 'net and yet what I just did wasn't suggested anywhere that I looked, yet it worked like a treat.

This has been addressed so many times, I'm starting to feel bad for the horse, even though it's been dead for quite some time now.

CitrusFrog posted:

If you want to play modern, high-end games, you need to fork out the cash. You don't need a super high-end system, but getting to a modern CPU, GPU, and non-frankenRAM will make things run much more smoothly.

I rebuilt the guts of my system in October with a C2D E7200, 8GB DDR2 400, and a motherboard to fit (previously, dual-socket Opteron) all for about $350. You don't have to do a major spend to update at least a little bit.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Stanley Pain posted:

I'm going to pretend you didn't do that :P

Well it's not like I need the Bluetooth Support Service, Media Center Receiver, Windows Presentation Foundation, Quality Windows Audio Video Experience, the Remote Access poo poo, Telephony, Windows Error Reporting, Parental Controls or Smart Card support now, is it? :v:

quote:

I want me one of these. Moreso if it has a suck/blow switch on it ;)

Me too, brings a whole new meaning to the term dongle

big mean giraffe posted:

You could build a computer for $400 or less than ran games a lot better than the one you have now. I'm pretty sure Prototype will never run above 'crap' on a p4 system, especially with an 8600.

I have a list of upgrades I plan on getting when finances permit, I'm just going to have to get a better PSU before I do anything else, and I have my eye on this one, which has a loving shitload of amperage on the 12v rails, which would easily allow for SLI. As for Prototype, it runs better when I rename one of the game's two audio archives but I losee 60% of the game's sound, and it has a pretty atrocious memory leak too.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

CitrusFrog posted:

I'm running 7100 and I have to say, I really enjoy the general user experience however I've run into the following 2 problems.

1: Games run like poo poo.
2: Videos (both on the HD and streamed in my browser ala youtube) run like poo poo.

[specs]

I also installed the Combined Community Codec Pack and that didn't help, video-wise.

Also might I add it was a total oval office to install because I had to both physically unplug my 500GB hard drive AND load NForce SATA/RAID drivers (that were a pain in the rear end to find) off a USB drive so it would even install onto the 80GB.

Your videocard isn't really well suited to playing games to begin with. I'm not going to pick on you about your system specs, I understand it's a difficult economy and not everyone wants to build the god box to begin with. You really need a total system overhaul at some point in the next year but you can incrementally upgrade a few components to see better performance in games on Windows 7 right now. Grab a cheap Radeon 4870 512MB, they can be found in SA-Mart for like $65-90. If you can't find one there I've got a few laying around at work, toss me a PM if interested.

Video stuttering is pretty common on old P4's but it could be a mixture of things. I would try GPU decoding as someone else suggested for now to start ruling things out.

quote:

Well it's not like I need the Bluetooth Support Service, Media Center Receiver, Windows Presentation Foundation, Quality Windows Audio Video Experience, the Remote Access poo poo, Telephony, Windows Error Reporting, Parental Controls or Smart Card support now, is it?

No but disabling them didn't really accomplish anything either.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

CitrusFrog posted:

Well it's not like I need the Bluetooth Support Service, Media Center Receiver, Windows Presentation Foundation, Quality Windows Audio Video Experience, the Remote Access poo poo, Telephony, Windows Error Reporting, Parental Controls or Smart Card support now, is it? :v:

Except you don't know what else is dependent upon some oddball component in one of those and your computer will break and you'll be all like: "what's going on with my pc, dudes?"

This has been discussed to death on SHSC...consensus is leave services alone. You're not getting any noticeable performance increase above the placebo effect.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

AlexDeGruven posted:

Stop doing poo poo like this.

It's not like I just went in and randomly started unchecking boxes, I looked at the services individually, assessed what they were for and whether or not disabling them would cause system instability, and tried not to get too overzealous. However, surely you can't look at the services tab in MSConfig and fail to be surprised at just how many more services they crammed in that not everyone will need.

quote:

You're trying to run a game that came out less than 1 month ago on hardware that was built >5 years ago? Hmm... Let's look at this for a moment.

Yes, yes, I know. I'm trying to get by with what I have until I can update, but other financial commitments are regrettably more important than my gaming pleasure.

quote:

This has been addressed so many times, I'm starting to feel bad for the horse, even though it's been dead for quite some time now.

I can't argue against the results I personally experienced from disabling services I felt were unnecessary :shobon:

quote:

If you want to play modern, high-end games, you need to fork out the cash. You don't need a super high-end system, but getting to a modern CPU, GPU, and non-frankenRAM will make things run much more smoothly.

That's the plan. 4GB of more recent RAM will be a start, and I have been scouting around for potential upgrades for other components. Socket 775's still the cpu type du jour, right?

The Gunslinger posted:

Your videocard isn't really well suited to playing games to begin with. I'm not going to pick on you about your system specs, I understand it's a difficult economy and not everyone wants to build the god box to begin with. You really need a total system overhaul at some point in the next year but you can incrementally upgrade a few components to see better performance in games on Windows 7 right now. Grab a cheap Radeon 4870 512MB, they can be found in SA-Mart for like $65-90. If you can't find one there I've got a few laying around at work, toss me a PM if interested.

I know I've been needing it for a while.

quote:

Video stuttering is pretty common on old P4's but it could be a mixture of things. I would try GPU decoding as someone else suggested for now to start ruling things out.

No but disabling them didn't really accomplish anything either.

I don't know how or why but my performance did in fact improve afterwards.

Edit: ok, ok, bad CF for stopping services.

Hexenritter fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jul 7, 2009

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000

CitrusFrog posted:

It's not like I just went in and randomly started unchecking boxes, I looked at the services individually, assessed what they were for and whether or not disabling them would cause system instability, and tried not to get too overzealous. However, surely you can't look at the services tab in MSConfig and fail to be surprised at just how many more services they crammed in that not everyone will need.
If you weren't using the services, there's a good chance they were using such a minuscule amount of resources only the machine itself could notice.

quote:

I don't know how or why but my performance did in fact improve afterwards.
Based on what metric?

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

-Dethstryk- posted:

If you weren't using the services, there's a good chance they were using such a minuscule amount of resources only the machine itself could notice.
Based on what metric?

Based on multiple games suddenly working as intended, and video no longer stuttering?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

quote:

I can't argue against the results I personally experienced from disabling services I felt were unnecessary

Placebo effect. None of the services you listed would have negatively impacted performance to a noticeable degree. At best you are gaining probably milliseconds of startup time. Either way, you seem to understand you need a system upgrade at some point in the future if you really want better performance so let's leave it at that.

quote:

Based on multiple games suddenly working as intended, and video no longer stuttering?

What service magically fixed this problem? That's the problem :)

The Gunslinger fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jul 7, 2009

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

The Gunslinger posted:

Either way, you seem to understand you need a system upgrade at some point in the future if you really want better performance so let's leave it at that.

Agreed. :) So how 'bout that Aero Shake huh

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
I came across something rather amusing the other day. My LifeCam would cause an instant bluescreen the second I tried to activate it in Skype, every time. So I figured I'd hop on Microsoft's website and see if there was a new driver. Right on the main hardware page there's a link to "Beta drivers for Windows 7" or something, so I click that, see a link for webcams, and download some file, let's call it LifeCam_2_9_1.exe (I already deleted the installer, but it was something like that).

I go to install the file, it starts out normally, but as it's installing Windows pops up this potentially useful warning that it has blocked the installation of LifeCam32.exe due to a compatibility problem, and also says "Click here to download an update to resolve the problem."

Clicking the link takes me directly to the download of LifeCam_2_9_1.exe :v:

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

CitrusFrog posted:

That's not going to happen simply from freeing up resources used by those services you listed (and others). They do not use enough to make that difference.

You had something more profound wrong that just so happened to remedy itself possibly through disabling services, though likely when just messing around somehow. I'd be looking at the more pronounced issue than simply thinking you 'fixed' it by disabling services.

Johnny!
Sep 24, 2007
I've downloaded the 64 bit version of the RC twice in the last day for a build I'm doing next month and both times the Microsoft download manager has said the file is corrupt after its finished downloading. Am I doing something wrong or is the file just 'corrupt' and it should actually work?

Sully
Feb 6, 2009

ibroxmassive posted:

Media Player Classic-HC 64 bit resolves some framerate issues on .mkv files in Windows 7 as well, at least for me.

Was using ffdshow and getting absolutely terrible performance (on my poo poo computer, but hey). Did this, works amazing.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Johnny! posted:

I've downloaded the 64 bit version of the RC twice in the last day for a build I'm doing next month and both times the Microsoft download manager has said the file is corrupt after its finished downloading. Am I doing something wrong or is the file just 'corrupt' and it should actually work?

Shouldn't you be able to check the hashsum?
64-bit English ISO SHA1: FC867FE1AB2E0A9796F9E4D155B44EA6998F4874 (first page of this thread)

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Johnny! posted:

Try downloading it with another browser.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
Actually if you're trying to run the Prototype PC version it has known framerate and stuttering issues. There's in depth troubleshooting guides on it on the Prototype forums but even after that it still has serious issues. I wouldn't use that as an indicator of your system performance.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Ignited posted:

So I may have an old laptop with an xp key on the bottom - any chance that will work on a desktop if I download a XP ISO?

CD Keys on case stickers will only work with OEM versions of Windows XP. Attempting to use these stickers on a Retail copy of XP or one downloaded from Technet/MSDN will NOT work. You basically have two choices for disc.

Choice #1 is finding a Windows XP disc specific to your manufacturer. Let's say you have a Dell, and your sticker is for Windows XP Home. If you can get your hands on a Dell Windows XP Home CD, not only will it install, but it won't even ask for your CD Key or need to be activated. These discs come slipstreamed with special drivers which basically makes it so activation isn't required as long as the hardware you're installing the OS on is actually from Dell.
It's worth noting that I don't think every manufacturer actually has this kind of disc. I know for a fact that Dell, HP and Gateway do, but some other manufacturers may only have "system restore" discs. These will work, of course, but are much more specific and thus much harder to find (e.g. the Dell Windows XP Home CD will work on ANY Dell PC, desktop or laptop, manufactured within XP's lifetime, whereas a system restore CD would only work for a particular model or series).

Choice #2 is finding a generic OEM or system builder CD. These WILL ask for the key and require activation, but they will work with any CD key on a sticker on a system case.

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

univbee posted:

CD Keys on case stickers will only work with OEM versions of Windows XP. Attempting to use these stickers on a Retail copy of XP or one downloaded from Technet/MSDN will NOT work. You basically have two choices for disc.

Choice #1 is finding a Windows XP disc specific to your manufacturer. Let's say you have a Dell, and your sticker is for Windows XP Home. If you can get your hands on a Dell Windows XP Home CD, not only will it install, but it won't even ask for your CD Key or need to be activated. These discs come slipstreamed with special drivers which basically makes it so activation isn't required as long as the hardware you're installing the OS on is actually from Dell.
It's worth noting that I don't think every manufacturer actually has this kind of disc. I know for a fact that Dell, HP and Gateway do, but some other manufacturers may only have "system restore" discs. These will work, of course, but are much more specific and thus much harder to find (e.g. the Dell Windows XP Home CD will work on ANY Dell PC, desktop or laptop, manufactured within XP's lifetime, whereas a system restore CD would only work for a particular model or series).

Choice #2 is finding a generic OEM or system builder CD. These WILL ask for the key and require activation, but they will work with any CD key on a sticker on a system case.

It is important to note that if you go with Choice #1 you must install to the original laptop that the key sticker is on. Dell (and others) install CDs often require a specific "tattoo" to be present in the BIOS for the install to go through.

Choice #2 should work on any computer, although installing OEM copies of Windows on new hardware is a violation of the TOS/EULA. MS is not known to work too hard checking this out though.

that one guy
Jun 3, 2005
How does the upgrade process work? I'm going to go from 32 bit XP Home to 64 bit 7 Pro, so I will need to do a complete re-installation. Will it ask me to put my XP key in when I try to install it, or what?

Ignited
Jun 24, 2008

kapinga posted:

It is important to note that if you go with Choice #1 you must install to the original laptop that the key sticker is on. Dell (and others) install CDs often require a specific "tattoo" to be present in the BIOS for the install to go through.

Choice #2 should work on any computer, although installing OEM copies of Windows on new hardware is a violation of the TOS/EULA. MS is not known to work too hard checking this out though.

I'm thinking about choice two - how hard do you think it would be to find a OEM Win XP Home ISO so I can have that disk ready to go for when win 7 comes out. Also I hope this works, heh.

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

that one guy posted:

How does the upgrade process work? I'm going to go from 32 bit XP Home to 64 bit 7 Pro, so I will need to do a complete re-installation. Will it ask me to put my XP key in when I try to install it, or what?

Well, no one knows for sure, but the best guess is that when you boot the computer from the install CD, it will look for the XP install to make sure that you're really "upgrading" from XP. It may require you to install your upgrade copy to the same partition as your current XP install (and stuff all the old data into Windows.old), or it may let you install somewhere else, I haven't been able to find solid info on that.

Ignited
Jun 24, 2008

that one guy posted:

You should really try reading the last two pages because that's basically what I asked.

Ignited
Jun 24, 2008

kapinga posted:

Well, no one knows for sure, but the best guess is that when you boot the computer from the install CD, it will look for the XP install to make sure that you're really "upgrading" from XP. It may require you to install your upgrade copy to the same partition as your current XP install (and stuff all the old data into Windows.old), or it may let you install somewhere else, I haven't been able to find solid info on that.

I figure because its XP, Win 7 will look for XP, then a clean install wiping most of XP away, wouldn't it?

Johnny!
Sep 24, 2007

ufarn posted:

Try downloading it with another browser.

Thanks, downloaded in IE and it passes hash check.

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

Ignited posted:

I figure because its XP, Win 7 will look for XP, then a clean install wiping most of XP away, wouldn't it?

I honestly don't know, but I doubt it will actually wipe the partition. Anything that gets put into Windows.old is not needed by the system at all, so the user is free to delete it at a later time (after they have salvaged their data). There's no real reason for the installer to physically wipe everything out except for space issues.

Edit: As to your question about getting an OEM XP CD: you might have some friends with a more standard system builder disc that would be worth a shot, or you can purchase one off of Newegg (at that point, just buy the full version of 7).

There is no harm in trying the current OS CD you have for your laptop; worst case it will simply fail.

kapinga fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jul 7, 2009

that one guy
Jun 3, 2005

Ignited posted:

You should really try reading the last two pages because that's basically what I asked.
It's not really what you asked, kapinga's answer is the kind of info I was looking for.

Ignited
Jun 24, 2008

kapinga posted:

I honestly don't know, but I doubt it will actually wipe the partition. Anything that gets put into Windows.old is not needed by the system at all, so the user is free to delete it at a later time (after they have salvaged their data). There's no real reason for the installer to physically wipe everything out except for space issues.

Edit: As to your question about getting an OEM XP CD: you might have some friends with a more standard system builder disc that would be worth a shot, or you can purchase one off of Newegg (at that point, just buy the full version of 7).

There is no harm in trying the current OS CD you have for your laptop; worst case it will simply fail.

Found a clean ISO of XP Home, found a key in the garage. I think I'm good-to-go for Oct, heres to hoping!

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

Ignited posted:

Found a clean ISO of XP Home, found a key in the garage. I think I'm good-to-go for Oct, heres to hoping!

As long as the ISO and key are both OEM or both full retail, you'll be good.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
So I went from 1 to 2.5Gb, and the change in performance is amazing. Does it get better with even more ram ?

Another question: in explorer, the "new" menu is slow as hell and cluttered. Can I disable stuff easily ?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I have no idea how it will work with Windows 7 (nor does anyone at this point), but here's how it works with Vista.

ALL upgrade installations from XP to Vista are REQUIRED to be launched from the OS being upgraded, and in the case of upgrading from Windows XP, it's required to be activated. Booting from the CD and trying to insert an upgrade key WILL NOT WORK! Once this is done, the ability to do a "clean install" is presented (everything gets moved to Windows.old as others have mentioned).

Ignited posted:

I'm thinking about choice two - how hard do you think it would be to find a OEM Win XP Home ISO so I can have that disk ready to go for when win 7 comes out. Also I hope this works, heh.

Well, any ISO you find is going to be :filez: by default. The generic ones are easy to come by, however, mostly trying to pass off as pre-slipstreamed ISOs (there was a guy called eth0 who did this with every single XP English variant every couple of months for a while).

Ignited posted:

When you say "found a key" what format is it in? Is it stuck to a case? Is it blueish and does it have a metal strip in it? Does it say OEM?

Also bear in mind that OEM copies can only be installed on the computer they originally came with legally.

If it's a yellow/orange label that just has a product key on it, and it's stuck to a CD envelope, it's actually a retail copy.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Ok I'm having a weird issue. The RC is asking me for my activation key, but it is not accepting either 0 or 1 as acceptable characters. This is a problem, as both of those digits appear a lot in my product key. Does anyone know what is going on?

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

TTBF posted:

Ok I'm having a weird issue. The RC is asking me for my activation key, but it is not accepting either 0 or 1 as acceptable characters. This is a problem, as both of those digits appear a lot in my product key. Does anyone know what is going on?
A Microsoft product key is 25 characters long and looks like XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX and really doesn't contain any 1s or 0s (because they're too easily confused with o and l).

that one guy
Jun 3, 2005
I'm not sure where my CD or anything is for my copy of XP. I did find a program that lets you look at the registration keys for your installed MS products, however. When I upgrade from XP to 7, all I'll really need is the registration key - so this program should be sufficient, right?

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

xamphear posted:

A Microsoft product key is 25 characters long and looks like XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX and really doesn't contain any 1s or 0s (because they're too easily confused with o and l).

That's what Windows 7 says the product key is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
The product ID isn't the same as the key