Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

aliencowboy posted:

Hellenic black metal from Greece

:lol:

Rather than just laugh at your complete lack of vocabulary, I'll point out the main players:

Varathron, Necromantia, Rotting Christ, Agatus, Nocternity, Deviser, Fiendish Nymph, Vorphalack, Nergal, Legion of Doom, Thou Art Lord, Zemial. Naer Mataron's earlier work is also inidicative of the Greek scene, and there's the demo bands like Tatir which excude both Hellenic and Norse influence.

More recent Greek bands of note include The Order of the Ebon Hand, Burial Hordes and Worship/Stutthof/Acherontas, but not all continue the sound of the old; newer bands (eg. Dodsferd) are sometimes punkier. Embrace of Thorns sound like Necros Christos or Goat Molestor.

The scene in greece is, was, and probably always will be very incestuous. So if you come across a band you particularly like the sound of, odds are they've been in one or more bands you'll also like. A good example of this is that Zemial is essntially Agatus and one of the brothers have each been involved in Varathron, Kawir or Nocternity at some point.

There's also the death metal/atmospheric stuff like early septicflesh and horrified.

And you should probably get Varathron/Necromantia - Black Arts Lead to Everlasting Sins.
Zemial, incidentally, are far more thrashy on their EPs and Face of the Conqueror/Necrolatry is probably a better release than in monumentum.

The Clit Avoider fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jul 8, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Sorry for having the gall to post in this thread without encyclopedic knowledge of nomenclature used in Greek black metal scene.

I appreciate the info, but I don't see anything wrong with what I posted.

burzum karaoke fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jul 8, 2009

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

aliencowboy posted:

Sorry for having the gall to post in this thread without encyclopedic knowledge of nomenclature used in Greek black metal scene.

I appreciate the info, but I don't see anything wrong with what I posted.

"Hellenic" means Greek. That's why he is laughing.

(Google's first hit for "Hellenic" as well)

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

"Hellenic" means Greek. That's why he is laughing.

(Google's first hit for "Hellenic" as well)

of, pertaining to, or characteristic of the ancient Greeks or their language, culture, thought, etc., esp. before the time of Alexander the Great. :confused:

If there was a band singing about Zeus from Portland, I don't see why calling it Hellenic metal from Portland would be in poor form, but whatever.

burzum karaoke fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jul 8, 2009

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!
There is a new book coming out this November documenting the early history of Cetic Frost and Hellhammer (band). At almost 300 pages, it almost puts Beste's TNBM to shame. Looks pretty cool.

http://www.bazillionpoints.com/?p=207

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
So I'm going to visit some family in Bergen, Norway in about a week and a half and I need some advice.

I'm all ready going to try and pick up an LP of Hvst Lyset Tar Oss as a souvenir, I don't even have a turntable but it would be cool to try and mount it somewhere. And I suppose if I see one of the first few from Gorgoroth that would be worth picking up as well, just for hometown support.

Has anything else of note come from Bergen? Any particularly badass record stores? Should I try and sneak a burnt chunk of wood pulled from the side of a freshly burnt church through customs? Help a brother out...

I Feel Every Flower That is Screaming to Consume You

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

sephiroth669 posted:

Has anything else of note come from Bergen?

Gorgoroth, Immortal and Borknagar just off the top of my head.

sephiroth669 posted:

Should I try and sneak a burnt chunk of wood pulled from the side of a freshly burnt church through customs?

I don't think a church has been burned in that town for months. Also, that's a pretty dumb idea imo.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Not Very Metal posted:

I don't think a church has been burned in that town for months. Also, that's a pretty dumb idea imo.

Very true. You'd have more success trying to smuggle Borknagar into the country. Though I don't think they'd fit in your carryon, they're pretty big guys.

But, if you did, I get dibs on Vintersorg.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Not Very Metal posted:

Hey I didn't know about them, At the Heart of Winter and Quintessence here I come :rock:

p.s. I was kidding about the chruch thing, neo-nazi sarcasm doesn't work over the internet it seems.

Nova Bizzare
Jun 2, 2006

...and it made me smile.
Edit: drat, I can't read.

Noktorn
May 30, 2008
Accidentally quoted something from a million pages ago, ignore.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

ask me about leaving the cult of black metal and bringing jesus into your life

Job 19:17
I hope this thread never dies.

As mentioned elsewhere, I have just got my Pensées Nocturnes album, Vacuum, and highly recommend it to all DSBM fans. It's got a very strong classical influence to it too, which I think works really well.

Can anyone recommend me any black metal bands that sing in Basque? The idea just appeals to me, for some reason, and with the Basque country's long and bloody history there's plenty of war and rebellion for them to write about.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Basque lyrics such as "asxaura xaxxaxxaaaxaxxxaa Benitatxell" would go down really well in BM, I agree.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

Pensées Nocturnes album, Vacuum

I'm about two tracks into this, and it's...alright. Reminds me of a more classically influenced Darkmoon Warrior.

What do you man by DSBM? Depressingly Symphonic? Damnably Spacious? Deviously Slow?

e: didn't see that there were only 1000 copies pressed, I'd call that a pretty good score.

Not Very Metal fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jul 13, 2009

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

Not Very Metal posted:

What do you man by DSBM? Depressingly Symphonic? Damnably Spacious? Deviously Slow?

DSBM = depressive/suicidal black metal (it has its own tag page on last.fm so it must be a real genre, right? Right?). Not dick-suckingly bad metal, as someone on that page suggests. Well, sure, some of it is but I'm finding a lot of bands I like using this tag.

Looking at the Top Artists page, there's apparently a DSBM band called Happy Days. This I have to hear. Emo black metal?

Fake edit: I'm In A Coffin, er, OK.

Openknees
Feb 25, 2007
edit; bad post

Secks
Oct 10, 2002

The city is alive tonight

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

As mentioned elsewhere, I have just got my Pensées Nocturnes album, Vacuum, and highly recommend it to all DSBM fans. It's got a very strong classical influence to it too, which I think works really well.

Can anyone recommend me any black metal bands that sing in Basque? The idea just appeals to me, for some reason, and with the Basque country's long and bloody history there's plenty of war and rebellion for them to write about.

I like it. Coups De Bleus is one of my new favorite songs.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

Fake edit: I'm In A Coffin, er, OK.
Take a good hard look at the motherfucking coffin

Caucasus Belli
Jun 6, 2007

by T. Finn

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

I hate this and I hate you for bringing it into my life.

btw there's a new Ossadogva... soon?! No release date yet. It'll be a free download like the last one though. With a CD for those of us sufficiently obsessed with Ossadogva to mail them the relevent amount of Hryvnia.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

Caucasus Belli posted:

I hate this and I hate you for bringing it into my life.

What, really? :(

Misogynist posted:

Take a good hard look at the motherfucking coffin

there is something not right with that picture

Caucasus Belli
Jun 6, 2007

by T. Finn

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

What, really? :(

Nooo, you know I love you!

Seriously though I just can't stand the vocals on Vacuum. You should check out Ossadogva though (if you haven't already), I think you'd like at least some of their stuff. They're probably my favourite DSBM band next to Totalselfhatred.

Caucasus Belli
Jun 6, 2007

by T. Finn

Caucasus Belli posted:

a new Ossadogva

Update: it is now, go and download it from their myspace immediately

catbread.jpg
Feb 22, 2007
Can I get a recommendation for genuinely evil sounding BM? Stuff that sounds like Satan could have conceivably been involved in the production.

I'm thinking like Massive Conspiracy Against All Life.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

catbread.jpg posted:

Can I get a recommendation for genuinely evil sounding BM? Stuff that sounds like Satan could have conceivably been involved in the production.

I'm thinking like Massive Conspiracy Against All Life.

I'm pretty sure Satan had a hand in Blasphemy's Blood Upon The Altar, which comes conveniently packaged with their second album

Mana Dragon
Nov 1, 2007

Ware Smash!
Been on a bit of a black metal binge as of late. I got into it a while back, but started looking more into it recently. Outside of all the obvious bands; Immortal, Bathory, Mayhem, etc. I've been trying to find some lesser known groups.

One of interest I came across was Old Wainds from Russia. Dunno if they've been mentioned. Straightforward, raw as hell black metal. I have come across a few of their albums and while its nothing remarkable, it is quite good.

here's a link to songs of theirs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lesMtpx8ntY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cz-ag9k5e_0

Mana Dragon fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Jul 19, 2009

Caucasus Belli
Jun 6, 2007

by T. Finn
Yeah I quite like what I've heard of Old Wainds, keep meaning to check out more but I never get around to it.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Caucasus Belli posted:

Old Wainds

I'm gonna check these guys out pronto!

So, tell me what I need to know about the group Beherit. I know they've released a slew of demos over the years with a few full length studio albums. After dabbling in the ambient/electro they've seemed to have put out their first black metal album in over 10 years called, Enham.

Where should I start and is it worth the effort?

Secks
Oct 10, 2002

The city is alive tonight

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

So, tell me what I need to know about the group Beherit. I know they've released a slew of demos over the years with a few full length studio albums. After dabbling in the ambient/electro they've seemed to have put out their first black metal album in over 10 years called, Enham.

They do have Beast Of Beherit - Complete Worxxx out which is probably a good place to start. It doesn't include their latest album of course but you might get a good idea from that. You'll find quite a mix of the atmospheric stuff as well as black metal.

Most of their stuff tends to be pretty gritty though.

Caucasus Belli
Jun 6, 2007

by T. Finn

So, tell me what I need to know about the group Beherit.

Turbo Music sent a large sum of money to the Beherit members to record "The
Oath of Black Blood" album, though they didn't expect that Holocausto and
friends would spend all of money on drugs and booze. In the end, there was no
album, so Turbo Music decided to release the "Demonomancy" demo along with "Dawn
of Satan's Millennium" 7'' as a full length.

^ this

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

What you need to know is that Drawing Down the Moon is one of the single best black metal albums of all time but Electric Doom Synthesis and whatever the straight ambient album is both blow.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

The new album is actually called Engram and it's good. I haven't heard their earlier albums (of which I'm ashamed), so I don't know how they compare, but the word seems to be that Engram doesn't quite reach the level of Drawing Down the Moon, which the guy above me already praised. So yes, get at least those two.

catbread.jpg
Feb 22, 2007
Don't die black metal thread...!

So. Altar of Plagues. Unreserved genius. Anybody got recommendations for similar bands?

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

catbread.jpg posted:

So. Altar of Plagues. Unreserved genius. Anybody got recommendations for similar bands?

Skagos isn't too far off.

--

I wonder what kinds of drugs the guys in Beherit were into. I somehow can't see them on smack.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

I was listening to Taake's Over Bjorgjenfjordswhatever album and remembered how much I like it. It's got kind of a Nemesis Divina vibe going on, which is a good thing. Anything else you guys know of that sounds like this?

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

catbread.jpg posted:

Don't die black metal thread...!

A Forest of Stars? And yes AoP are brilliant and I can't wait for their London gig. :)

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Nazxul finally put out a second full-length album! It's only taken ten years.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Kaiho posted:

I wonder what kinds of drugs the guys in Beherit were into. I somehow can't see them on smack.

My bet is shrooms and/or acid.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
The cover art has emerged for the new Immortal album, All Shall Fall due out on Nuclear Blast the September 25th (Europe) and October 6th (North America).

:black101:

BURRRRRRRRR!!!

The tracklist is as follows.

1. All Shall Fall
2. The Rise Of Darkness
3. Hordes Of War
4. Norden On Fire
5. Arctic Swarm
6. Mount North
7. Unearthly Kingdom

One of the guys at Terrorizer has already posted a track-by-track review of the release.

'All Shall Fall'
Where 'Sons Of Northern Darkness' rushes out of the gates like a horse with its arse on fire, the opening title track of the new opus flows like cold molasses with snowy industrial ambience. Then it's straight into trademark melodic riffs, colder than an Inuit's snatch with a subtle 'Hanger 18-esque tone and uplifting ascending chords. There's deeper vocalisations, thundering, phased guitar and delicately woven leads making this cross between 'One By One' and 'In My Kingdom Cold' less 'Sons...' part two more Immortal 2.0.

'The Rise Of Darkness'
Bringing back the Bathory, this is a thrashing number that alternates between moments of menace and a mellow mid-paced sweeping chords, the '80s vibe carrying through to a stomping riff part way through.

'Hordes Of War'
Short, sharp, shock of thrashing war metal – albeit with the Immortal sheen to it – it's a brutal burst of pummeling black metal and picks up the slack left by 1349. Pure musical holocaust.

'Norden On Fire'
A drop of pace an another intro, with glacial ambience making way for clean guitars in a cross between a speedier 'Beyond The Northern Waves'/slower 'Cursed Realm Of The Winterdemons'. It's swiftly followed by a vibrant battle riff in an upbeat 'Tyrants' vein, with Furia-esque uber-posi drive.

'Arctic Swarm'
Another blackened thrasher with the pace of an avalanche, the guitars pound like Hephaestus in a workshop while chaotic solos punctuate the mix like a swarm of bees. A riff buffet.

'Mount North'
An intermediary song before the final assault it's not what you'd call filler, but after a snow blizzard sampling intro, it's like a diabolical holocaust battle with blizzard beasts and the damned sons of northern darkness at the heart of winter.

'Unearthly Kingdom'
We've had darkness, war, fire, mount, Arctic, north so it wouldn't be complete without a kingdom thrown in. And at this point it's no longer possible to avoid using that word. This is epic. Organ-like disparate noise introduces the track, with the feel of a less tedious latter-day Burzum before the riff appears like a longboat breaching the fog, the raiders contained therein marching to massive, pounding drum beat that complements the guitars like a well organised industrial complex. The term 'buzzsaw guitars' was made for this song, with some subtle complexes coming to the service the longer it drones on. It comes to a close in triumphant fashion, like victorious raiders marching from a burning village and fading into the horizon.

I'm as giddy as a little school girl with anticipation for this album. I'd also give up a major bodily organ for a proper US headlining tour.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

I'm as giddy as a little school girl with anticipation for this album. I'd also give up a major bodily organ for a proper US headlining tour.
HELP I CAN'T STOP POSTING THIS PICTURE

GUFF

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

Misogynist posted:

Wait, is this post your immortal-est pics? I may be able to help.