Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bande apartheid
Feb 11, 2008

Sometimes reality is too complex for oral communication. But legend embodies it in a form which enables it to spread all over the world.

soggybagel posted:

This might just be plain old rumor mongering but I was at my local Barnes and Noble (Santa Monica) and while I was browsing the Criterion dvd selection which is really good at this store the guy working there mentioned that allegedly he believed starting next week all the Criterion DVD's at Barnes would be 50 percent off. Even with the markup from the store this is still a better deal than you can find off of Amazon.

So I'd just keep my eyes peeled on your local Barnes and Noble over the next week or two to see if this comes true.

I heard that they were planning a sale on Criterions, but I hadn't heard the specifics. So, this should at least give some additional support to your rumor mongering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

soggybagel posted:

This might just be plain old rumor mongering but I was at my local Barnes and Noble (Santa Monica) and while I was browsing the Criterion dvd selection which is really good at this store the guy working there mentioned that allegedly he believed starting next week all the Criterion DVD's at Barnes would be 50 percent off. Even with the markup from the store this is still a better deal than you can find off of Amazon.

So I'd just keep my eyes peeled on your local Barnes and Noble over the next week or two to see if this comes true.

I was working there about 2 weeks ago and I remembered seeing a memo for an upcoming sale that marked ALL DVD's off 50%.

I'll check back in with my manager tomorrow when I pick up some paychecks.

Update: Alright so I checked in today what the deal was. It's 50% off select Criterion titles. But the selection of titles is from a list of like 450+ so it's basically all of the Criterions.

DevCore fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jul 8, 2009

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
The B&N Criterion sale starts July 14th, and it's 50% off the list price of all Criterion releases (the only exceptions that I've found being Benjamin Button and the huge 50 Years of Janus Films box). This sale also includes Blu-Rays, the Eclipse boxes, the Essential Art House line, and the unspecified cheaper releases like The Red Balloon.

It will last until at least the end of July, and sales usually roll over into the first week of the next month, so this probably will too. I've already ordered a ton to round out the holes in my Bergman and Bunuel collections, and will most likely be living off ramen for the rest of the month, but seriously, with this sale on top of a B&N member card (if you already have one, 'cause they ain't cheap and usually aren't worth buying) or coupons, you're getting close to 60% off.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you

Origami Dali posted:

with this sale on top of a B&N member card you're getting close to 60% off.

More specifically, you're getting 55% off.

edited for clarity

STEVIE B 4EVA fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jul 8, 2009

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
Thanks for the heads up!

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

Origami Dali posted:

The B&N Criterion sale starts July 14th, and it's 50% off the list price of all Criterion releases (the only exceptions that I've found being Benjamin Button and the huge 50 Years of Janus Films box). This sale also includes Blu-Rays, the Eclipse boxes, the Essential Art House line, and the unspecified cheaper releases like The Red Balloon.

It will last until at least the end of July, and sales usually roll over into the first week of the next month, so this probably will too. I've already ordered a ton to round out the holes in my Bergman and Bunuel collections, and will most likely be living off ramen for the rest of the month, but seriously, with this sale on top of a B&N member card (if you already have one, 'cause they ain't cheap and usually aren't worth buying) or coupons, you're getting close to 60% off.

Is this online as well or just in store?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

drat, I just got my stimulus check and intend to use it on a new camera. :argh:

Although, it seems to be marginal for some titles. Amazon.com has a lot of the Blurays for $24. 50% off would make them around $20, but then there's sales tax or shipping. I'm just not sure if I want to spend a lot of money on DVDs.

On the other hand, this means the Essential Art House discs will be :10bux: each. I wouldn't mind stocking up on stuff to tide over until the BluRays. With that sale, the three released box sets would just be $150 together, which is pretty drat good for 18 films.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~
Any ideas on the hint in this month's newsletter? Monument Valley is obviously John Ford, but I can't think of any of his movies set around Christmas time.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Maybe it's The Quiet Man? It's unlikely Fox or Warner would license anything since they just put out huge box sets of Ford's films a few years ago. This would include 3 Godfathers.

My hunch is on TQM since the current DVD is awful and I found this bit of trivia on the IMDB:

"While all other saddled horses are seen with English saddles (as would be expected in Ireland during that time period), Sean's (John Wayne's) horse is saddled with a US Army-issue McClellan cavalry saddle."

And I guess "a dry christmas in Monument Valley" could mean it's a Ford movie NOT set in MV and it'll be a December release.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I doubt it's The Quiet Man, which has absolutely nothing to do with Monument Valley. I find your reasoning very odd.

I hope it's not a Ford film, but that seems like the most obvious conclusion to draw.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Movies filmed in Monument Valley I'm going to guess Electra Glide In Blue since it's apparently out of print, the Christmas part just hints at a December release.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

FitFortDanga posted:

I doubt it's The Quiet Man, which has absolutely nothing to do with Monument Valley. I find your reasoning very odd.

I hope it's not a Ford film, but that seems like the most obvious conclusion to draw.

My guess is that a "dry Christmas" in Momement Valley translates to a John Ford movie that's not set there, with the Criterion coming out in December. All of the other films he shot at MV are on DVD. Really, 3 Godfathers is the only other one that would fit this.

vvv Maybe it's an Eclipse set of lovely movies shot at Monument Valley, such as Wild Wild West, Lightning Jack, and Vertical Limit

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jul 11, 2009

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Movies filmed in Monument Valley I'm going to guess Electra Glide In Blue since it's apparently out of print, the Christmas part just hints at a December release.

Good call on the IMDB link, though now I'm guessing it's that long awaited Mission Impossible 2 Criterion....

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Egbert Souse posted:

My guess is that a "dry Christmas" in Momement Valley translates to a John Ford movie that's not set there, with the Criterion coming out in December.

Yes, I understand your reasoning, I just think it's a big stretch. From there, it's only a short jump to "any film not shot in Monument Valley".

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Origami Dali posted:

:words:

Holy poo poo thats good. I'll be stocking up.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

FitFortDanga posted:

Yes, I understand your reasoning, I just think it's a big stretch. From there, it's only a short jump to "any film not shot in Monument Valley".

Now the .org people are speculating it's Stagecoach. I guess it would be a good pick since Warner's SE DVD still doesn't use UCLA's restoration apparently. But it would only be justified with a BluRay release. (and Stagecoach is one of a dozen-so titles licensed to Warner along with Foreign Correspondent, To Be or Not to Be, and A Face in the Crowd).

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

The Lucas posted:

Is this online as well or just in store?

Yep. Website is already advertising it.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

According to the website The Seventh Seal bluray isn't eligible for the discount. That kinda stinks.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

CRAYON posted:

According to the website The Seventh Seal bluray isn't eligible for the discount. That kinda stinks.

Nooooo! I had my heart set on that one. :(

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Well it might just be a glitch. It's included in the sale page, but it and some others haven't had the discount applied.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Macrame_God posted:

Nooooo! I had my heart set on that one. :(

Go to your local B&N. They had EVERY criterion 50% off. All of the boxsets and blurays too. But, when you see all the glorious movies sitting in front of you it is pretty hard to not buy a poo poo ton of stuff.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Looks like I'm getting the Blus for Bottle Rocket, The Man Who Fell to Earth, and The 400 Blows, plus the pared-down EAH versions of Grand Illusion and Beauty and the Beast. $80 shipped. :woop:

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Bought Fritz Lang's M, Ugetsu, Tokyo Story and Vampyr. I'll get The Seventh Seal later. Nice.

CRAYON posted:

Go to your local B&N. They had EVERY criterion 50% off. All of the boxsets and blurays too. But, when you see all the glorious movies sitting in front of you it is pretty hard to not buy a poo poo ton of stuff.

My B&N didn't have The Seventh Seal on Blu-Ray. :(

Macrame_God fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jul 14, 2009

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001
Wow, glad I noticed this thread. Last Year at Marienbad for $20? Awesome.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

I picked up The Third Man, The Seventh Seal, The 400 Blows, Bottle Rocket, Le Samourai, Le Cercle Rouge, Army of Shadows, Videodrome, and Brazil 3-disc. The guilt hasn't sunk in quite yet.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

CRAYON posted:

I picked up The Third Man, The Seventh Seal, The 400 Blows, Bottle Rocket, Le Samourai, Le Cercle Rouge, Army of Shadows, Videodrome, and Brazil 3-disc. The guilt hasn't sunk in quite yet.

If it does, just pop in that pimp-rear end copy of Brazil you got and let it wash away. I have the same boxed set of Brazil myself. It's oh so very nice.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

CRAYON posted:

Yeah, but they don't have a bunch of stackable coupons like BN.com does :(

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I'm so hesitant to buy Criterion DVDs now, for fear that they'll announce the Blu-Ray soon after. But for $29.98 I picked up two I've been holding out on for a while: Twenty-Four Eyes and M. Hulot's Holiday.

Expect the Blu-Ray announcement for those two tomorrow.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006
I went to my local B&N looking for the 400 Blows and The Seventh Seal on blu-ray, walked out with Wages of Fear blu-ray instead.

Of the criterion blu-rays so far I've also got The Third Man, The Man Who Fell to Earth, The Last Emperor, and Chungking Express. I'm not familiar with a lot of the other movies they put out on blu-ray yet. Any recommendations?

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

FitFortDanga posted:

I'm so hesitant to buy Criterion DVDs now, for fear that they'll announce the Blu-Ray soon after. But for $29.98 I picked up two I've been holding out on for a while: Twenty-Four Eyes and M. Hulot's Holiday.

Expect the Blu-Ray announcement for those two tomorrow.

Maybe you should buy M so that they will announce that :)

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

LightsGameraAction posted:

I went to my local B&N looking for the 400 Blows and The Seventh Seal on blu-ray, walked out with Wages of Fear blu-ray instead.

Of the criterion blu-rays so far I've also got The Third Man, The Man Who Fell to Earth, The Last Emperor, and Chungking Express. I'm not familiar with a lot of the other movies they put out on blu-ray yet. Any recommendations?

El Norte, El Norte, and El Norte

And Last Year at Marienbad.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

RichterIX posted:

Maybe you should buy M so that they will announce that :)

Don't you dare! :mad:

When I bought The Third Man they later announced it for Blu-Ray. Later, they did the same thing to me when I bought Ran. I just bought M today and I'll be damned if they screw me over thrice!

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is The Man Who Fell To Earth Blu-Ray worth double-dipping on, in the opinion of goons? I've seen mixed reports on the quality and I already spent god known how much on the SD Criterion back in the day.

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006

doctor thodt posted:

Is The Man Who Fell To Earth Blu-Ray worth double-dipping on, in the opinion of goons? I've seen mixed reports on the quality and I already spent god known how much on the SD Criterion back in the day.

I hear the picture and audio are amazing for what it's worth (dvdbeaver has some nice comparisons) it really depends if you can afford it or not.

Even though I'm basically broke I still couldn't resist Wages of Fear blu-ray for under 18 bucks. I wish they had this sale when I had a job I'd be all over this sale instead of holding out. The Seventh Seal is the only other movie I can justify buying and that isn't on sale (at least online) but I've heard some stores have it in, can anyone confirm this?

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

FWIW, the sale lasts until 8/3, according to the guy I talked to today. So take your time, but stock up.

My haul: Videodrome, Dazed and Confused, The Hit, Ace in the Hole, and Chungking Express on blu-ray. Wanted High and Low, but was told it wasn't included in the list; still eying Seven Samurai and M, since I have the old one-disc versions.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
God drat you all, I just bought 400 Blows, Brazil, Rashomon, Solaris, and The Third Man (blu-ray) and I'm tempted to go back and get The Bicycle Thief.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

There are no Barnes and Nobles in my country and the ones I want are not listed on sale on the website so I wish you all a painful death.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Cacator posted:

There are no Barnes and Nobles in my country and the ones I want are not listed on sale on the website so I wish you all a painful death.

If it's any consolation I haven't been able to find a summer job and have $85 in the bank so I'm hosed too. :shobon:

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
Yeah jobless college grads like myself really need to stay away from that bookstore and website right now...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

I'm a whore guys. :(

I went to the website, bit the bullet, and ordered The Seventh Seal on Blu-Ray anyway. Also, I got Videodrome because it's been ages since I've seen it and I also got Jigoku because I've always wanted to watch it. I almost considered getting Red Beard and/or The Bad Sleep Well because I realized that I haven't bought any Kurosawas this time, but I stayed my hand. In a strange twist of irony, I almost ordered the novel Musashi by Eiji Yoshikawa which was what the Samurai trilogy films were based on (which I also purchased from a previous Criterion sale).

I can see why this sale is so short. Any longer and they'd have me on a leash like a meth addict.