Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

revolther posted:

The one gripe I've had with Windows 7 is small but irritating, and only applies to laptops. Previously in Vista you could click your battery meter and get an option to change between 3 common power settings, High Performance/Balanced/Power Saver by default.

Now it's only two options, they literally saved an eighth of an inch of screen, and made it irritating to go from High Performance to Power Saver if I'm say, undocking my laptop or moving my power source to a different location and have a bum battery.

So irritating.

Doesn't it show the last two setting you've used? If you only ever use High Performance and Power Saver, those should be the two it shows (and who ever uses balanced anyways?).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

photo kiosk of life
Aug 31, 2004

Not the best role model.
I'm having a weird problem with my 5.1 surround sound speakers. I'm able to set it to 5.1 in the settings and test them and they work fine, but when I actually listen to music or play games, the rear speakers or center speakers don't work. Is this a common problem?

Edit: Never mind I found the speaker fill option :downs:

photo kiosk of life fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jul 12, 2009

Namlemez
Jul 9, 2003
What do people think about the usability of this on an older PC?

My desktop is an Athlon XP (OC'd to 2Ghz) with 1GB of RAM and a Radeon 9800 Pro. I'm still rocking Windows XP and it works fine for my purposes. I don't play many new games - C&C3 Red Alert worked fine though if I played with the settings a bit.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Namlemez posted:

What do people think about the usability of this on an older PC?

My desktop is an Athlon XP (OC'd to 2Ghz) with 1GB of RAM and a Radeon 9800 Pro. I'm still rocking Windows XP and it works fine for my purposes. I don't play many new games - C&C3 Red Alert worked fine though if I played with the settings a bit.

I suspect it will be fine. You may want to bump up the RAM if you could.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

WTFBEES posted:

Doesn't it show the last two setting you've used? If you only ever use High Performance and Power Saver, those should be the two it shows (and who ever uses balanced anyways?).
I've found this to be irritating too, because I'm on batter a lot, and have a custom balanced setting that lets me do a lot of heavy image work without sucking down my battery as much as high performance. I'm typically bouncing between all three of those settings depending on what I need to do.

Contains Acetone
Aug 22, 2004
DROP IN ANY US MAILBOX, POST PAID BY SECUR-A-KEY

Contains Acetone fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jun 24, 2020

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

redeyes posted:

I'm so unhappy with the Windows 7 pricing I am not buying it. I guess Vista will have to do. Unbelievable MS, you just hosed your best customers. There is a recession going on you stupid fucks.

Microsoft has to do this bizarre balancing act between the home customers and their corporate customers and while I'm sure it's difficult they do a pretty lovely job of it. Having a bunch of silly versions doesn't help matters either.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

xamphear posted:

Microsoft has to do this bizarre balancing act between the home customers and their corporate customers and while I'm sure it's difficult they do a pretty lovely job of it. Having a bunch of silly versions doesn't help matters either.

IF you go to a consumer electronics store like Best Buy, you see Home Premium and Ultimate. If you go to a business electronics/supply store like OfficeMax you see Home Premium, Business, and Ultimate. Sometimes you see Home Basic at those places, though rarely.

What's the problem with that? It's not like people actually go out and buy a new OS most of the time anyway, its mostly tech-savvy people who build their own computers who do that.

dorkimoe
Feb 16, 2007
crap the 50% off ended :( i missed out. gently caress

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

dorkimoe posted:

crap the 50% off ended :( i missed out. gently caress

Same as, mainly due to being confused to gently caress as to what is actually happening.

MS site is saying order vista and get the upgrade version.
Amazon isn't doing the discount (.co.uk), I don't know if they ever were.
I can't be hosed to install vista to install 7. I'm on the RC.

I have a couple of clients on XP and office 200, they want to come forward to 7/2007.
Whats the best path for them.

Why the gently caress can't I buy ultimate. Its retarded unnecessary hoop jumping.
Excuse my frustration.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

url posted:

Same as, mainly due to being confused to gently caress as to what is actually happening.

MS site is saying order vista and get the upgrade version.
Amazon isn't doing the discount (.co.uk), I don't know if they ever were.
I can't be hosed to install vista to install 7. I'm on the RC.

I have a couple of clients on XP and office 200, they want to come forward to 7/2007.
Whats the best path for them.

Why the gently caress can't I buy ultimate. Its retarded unnecessary hoop jumping.
Excuse my frustration.

The best path to get to 7 from XP is to buy the 7 upgrade and follow the clean install process. Beforehand, make sure you run the files and settings transfer wizard and have it save to a network or external drive, so that when they reinstall their apps they have most of their settings kept.

It kinda sucks that you can't upgrade straight from XP to 7 but then again, it's been 8 years since XP came out. Windows 3.1 came out 9 years before XP, you can't directly upgrade from that. Windows 98 came out 9 years before Vista and you can't directly upgrade 98 to Vista.

You don't need Ultimate in all likelihood, Windows 7 Pro includes all the stuff that Home Premium has, unlike Vista it's a true superset. If you still want to pay extra for Ultimate you'll have to jump through hoops to get it, but noone really needs it in the first place.

edit: also, don't bother going to office 2007, office 2010 will be out soon enough.

fishmech fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jul 13, 2009

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

fishmech posted:

The best path to get to 7 from XP is to buy the 7 upgrade and follow the clean install process. Beforehand, make sure you run the files and settings transfer wizard and have it save to a network or external drive, so that when they reinstall their apps they have most of their settings kept.

It kinda sucks that you can't upgrade straight from XP to 7 but then again, it's been 8 years since XP came out. Windows 3.1 came out 9 years before XP, you can't directly upgrade from that. Windows 98 came out 9 years before Vista and you can't directly upgrade 98 to Vista.

You don't need Ultimate in all likelihood, Windows 7 Pro includes all the stuff that Home Premium has, unlike Vista it's a true superset. If you still want to pay extra for Ultimate you'll have to jump through hoops to get it, but noone really needs it in the first place.

edit: also, don't bother going to office 2007, office 2010 will be out soon enough.

Cheers fishmech. Yeah the 3.1 -> xp analogy makes sense.
I'm using the CTP for 2K10 and its great, but, i'm not sure the client's machine are up to the job. That said, I'll obviously push them towards it once I've tested its viability on their machines.

toxick
Oct 20, 2008

fishmech posted:

IF you go to a consumer electronics store like Best Buy, you see Home Premium and Ultimate. If you go to a business electronics/supply store like OfficeMax you see Home Premium, Business, and Ultimate. Sometimes you see Home Basic at those places, though rarely.

What's the problem with that? It's not like people actually go out and buy a new OS most of the time anyway, its mostly tech-savvy people who build their own computers who do that.

As much as I hate Apple's dipshit propaganda, they do have a point about there being ONE version of OS X to buy, whereas MS has SIX (or whatever) versions of each Windows release. Wouldn't a version for home users and a version for business users be enough?

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Factor Mystic posted:

"Every time"? How many times is that? My desktop has been running Vista from the first install I did in early 2007 when I got this copy of Vista. That's 1 install. That's all I needed. That's all anyone needs. Reinstalling every 6 months or whatever is something you had to do 10 years ago, not today.

Hmm I dunno, I do it every year or so. But I've been running XP since it came out until the 7 RC came out. And actually now that you mention it, maybe I didn't really "need" to do it that often even.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

toxick posted:

As much as I hate Apple's dipshit propaganda, they do have a point about there being ONE version of OS X to buy, whereas MS has SIX (or whatever) versions of each Windows release. Wouldn't a version for home users and a version for business users be enough?

But that practically is all there is. Home Premium and Business/Pro are all the average person sees or uses. Noone sells Starter in the US, Home Basic practically only shows up on low-end computers that can't handle anything better, and Ultimate is basically the same thing as Plus! used to be, only incorporated into the OS instead of being a separate product. THe most versions of Windows you can reasonably expect to see on a shelf somewhere is 4: Home BAsic, Home Premium, Business, and Ultimate. And I think it's pretty obvious which is which, not to mention that most every store that sells windows has little booklets from Microsoft at the OS section that explain what the versions are, like they have for Office.

And there's two versions of OS X, OS X and OS X Server.

CheeToS
Dec 25, 2003
Dangerously Cheesy

fishmech posted:

But that practically is all there is. Home Premium and Business/Pro are all the average person sees or uses. Noone sells Starter in the US, Home Basic practically only shows up on low-end computers that can't handle anything better, and Ultimate is basically the same thing as Plus! used to be, only incorporated into the OS instead of being a separate product. THe most versions of Windows you can reasonably expect to see on a shelf somewhere is 4: Home BAsic, Home Premium, Business, and Ultimate. And I think it's pretty obvious which is which, not to mention that most every store that sells windows has little booklets from Microsoft at the OS section that explain what the versions are, like they have for Office.

Home Basic is only going to be sold in emerging markets, from what I understand.
Starter is only going to be available to OEMs making netbooks.
Enterprise is only available for volume licensing for businesses.
Ultimate's differences are only going to appeal to an extreme minority, and Microsoft is de-emphasizing it; the next version of Windows probably won't have an Ultimate version at all.

The leaves you with Home Premium and Professional.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

fishmech posted:

OS X Server is not available to the general public at Best Buy. It's incredibly stupid and inconvenient to have so many different versions of Windows, they really should narrow it down to 2-3.

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

fishmech posted:

Not only that, but Microsoft can't do what Apple does, which is use the money they make from selling the only hardware that can RUN their OS to lower the cost of their OS.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

1997 posted:

OS X Server is not available to the general public at Best Buy. It's incredibly stupid and inconvenient to have so many different versions of Windows, they really should narrow it down to 2-3.

If you go to BEst buy you can only get 2-3 versions of Windows already. Problem solved isn't it? IT's only terrible nerds online like you and me who give a gently caress about how many versions of Windows here are. XP had like 9 different versions.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

fishmech posted:

XP had like 9 different versions.

Home, Pro, Media Center and...:confused:

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

LooseChanj posted:

Home, Pro, Media Center and...:confused:

Windows XP Starter Edition, for new computer users in developing countries
Windows XP Home Edition, for home desktops and laptops
Windows XP Home Edition N, as above, but without a default installation of Windows Media Player, as mandated by an EU ruling
Windows XP Professional, for business and power users (Version number: NT 5.1.2600)
Windows XP Professional N, as above, but without a default installation of Windows Media Player, as mandated by an EU ruling
Windows XP Professional x64 Edition, for PCs with x86-64 processors (based on Windows Server 2003)
Windows XP Tablet PC Edition, for notebooks with a touch screen or a pen-sensitive screen
Windows XP Media Center Edition for desktops and notebooks with an emphasis on audio, video, and PVR capability. There are four versions:
o Windows XP Media Center Edition
o Windows XP Media Center Edition 2003
o Windows XP Media Center Edition 2004
o Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005
Windows XP 64-bit Edition

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Unexpected EOF posted:

XP Versions
Then when you multiply those by Retail, Volume, Upgrade and OEM, and then versions that integrated SP1, SP2 and SP3 there's probably over 100 different CDs that exist bearing the name XP. Truly magnificent.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

These EU rulings are the biggest bullshit I've ever seen. Take out Internet Explorer? Well ok no problem. Only now theres no way to download an alternative browser... :psyduck:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Unexpected EOF posted:

Windows XP Starter Edition, for new computer users in developing countries
Windows XP Home Edition, for home desktops and laptops
Windows XP Home Edition N, as above, but without a default installation of Windows Media Player, as mandated by an EU ruling
Windows XP Professional, for business and power users (Version number: NT 5.1.2600)
Windows XP Professional N, as above, but without a default installation of Windows Media Player, as mandated by an EU ruling
Windows XP Professional x64 Edition, for PCs with x86-64 processors (based on Windows Server 2003)
Windows XP Tablet PC Edition, for notebooks with a touch screen or a pen-sensitive screen
Windows XP Media Center Edition for desktops and notebooks with an emphasis on audio, video, and PVR capability. There are four versions:
o Windows XP Media Center Edition
o Windows XP Media Center Edition 2003
o Windows XP Media Center Edition 2004
o Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005
Windows XP 64-bit Edition
You forgot Windows Fundamentals for Legacy PCs and XP Embedded, both of which are XP.

Stuntman Mike
Apr 14, 2007
The saucer people are coming!

Xachariah posted:

These EU rulings are the biggest bullshit I've ever seen. Take out Internet Explorer? Well ok no problem. Only now theres no way to download an alternative browser... :psyduck:

Batch file on the desktop for the win :suicide:

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Xachariah posted:

Actually, that's not what the EU told Microsoft to do. They probably would have gone with MS bundling Opera and other browsers with 7, but Microsoft decided to have none of that and gently caress over everyone.

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

fishmech posted:

You forgot Windows Fundamentals for Legacy PCs and XP Embedded, both of which are XP.

I forgot a lot of things. I didn't want to scan the wiki article for potential repeats.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Mr. Fix It posted:

Actually, that's not what the EU told Microsoft to do. They probably would have gone with MS bundling Opera and other browsers with 7, but Microsoft decided to have none of that and gently caress over everyone.

There's really no legal basis to force one computer company to bundle someone else's product, in Europe or otherwise. That's why Microsoft decided to remove the browser in Europe.

pokecapn
Oct 17, 2003

yeah, galo sengen
What's my best plan for putting 7 on a new computer? I didn't see that the RC was going to work with the 7 Upgrade until after the half-off deal went away. I'm thinking get OEM Vista Business http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116676 and get the upgrade coupon to 7 Pro. Is there anything wrong with my logic other than I'm going to be without Media Center for a few months?

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

fishmech posted:

There's really no legal basis to force one computer company to bundle someone else's product, in Europe or otherwise. That's why Microsoft decided to remove the browser in Europe.

Isn't that for a judge to decide?

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

fishmech posted:

But that makes people hate Microsoft more. They cut their nose off to spite their face. Now people in Europe have to jump through a bunch of hoops to put a browser on their computer.

They wouldn't blame the EU for it, they'd just be pissed at Microsoft that their product needs hoop jumping to work. It's a terrible idea shipping an OS with no inbuilt way to download any browser at all.

It's horrible business sense to choose nothing instead of offering alternatives.

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

xamphear posted:

Then when you multiply those by Retail, Volume, Upgrade and OEM, and then versions that integrated SP1, SP2 and SP3 there's probably over 100 different CDs that exist bearing the name XP. Truly magnificent.

You know, that's probably the only new feature in Vista that everyone can agree on - having one 32-bit disc and one 64-bit disc makes everyone happy.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

everyone posted:

EU browser poo poo

Oh my godddddddd not this again

Weedle fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jul 13, 2009

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Mr. Fix It posted:

Isn't that for a judge to decide?

No, that's more of a legislative issue, particularly in the EU's system.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Xachariah posted:

But that makes people hate Microsoft more. They cut their nose off to spite their face. Now people in Europe have to jump through a bunch of hoops to put a browser on their computer.

They wouldn't blame the EU for it, they'd just be pissed at Microsoft that their product needs hoop jumping to work. It's a terrible idea shipping an OS with no inbuilt way to download any browser at all.

It's horrible business sense to choose nothing instead of offering alternatives.

I like MS more for doing it.

It's also horrible business sense to promote competitors products.

It's quite as black and white as you seem to wish it was.

Avarcirwen
Mar 7, 2008

Goons: The only group more socially conservative than Mormons.

Thermopyle posted:

I like MS more for doing it.

So do I. Opera are just being whiny babbys because Mozilla took "their market" while they were trying to charge for a browser.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

Xachariah posted:

Keep a copy of a Firefox/Opera install on a CD/USB drive? That's hardly a "bunch of hoops." Sure, it's impractical but really, it takes two minutes to download an installer and slap it on a USB drive before reinstalling your OS, and it's something you should always have on hand if you're moderately computer savvy (as with all the other apps you want to install after a format). As for OEM copies on pre-built computers: I really doubt people selling laptops and PCs would sell a product without an internet browser. They already install a bunch of shitware anyway, you bet your rear end they'll either include IE8 or get begged to include Opera by its devs. They wouldn't dare sell a product without internet access.

Crumbletron fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jul 13, 2009

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

fishmech posted:

The home/corp differences never bothered me. Maybe some features should have been swapped, but corp users really dont need some of the home stuff, and home users dont need domains and the like. If you needed both, you should have been able to do anytime upgrades to ultimate. Basic->Home/Corp->Ultimate. But of course, thats not how it was advertised.

But back to win 7, I want bitlocker to go, damnit. OEM ultimate looks to be the best enthusiast version.

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number
JESUS CHRIST WE ALREADY HAVE A THREAD FOR THIS poo poo. STOP loving UP THIS ONE!!!!

edit: ^ This isn't directed at you ilkhan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

pokecapn posted:

What's my best plan for putting 7 on a new computer? I didn't see that the RC was going to work with the 7 Upgrade until after the half-off deal went away. I'm thinking get OEM Vista Business http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116676 and get the upgrade coupon to 7 Pro. Is there anything wrong with my logic other than I'm going to be without Media Center for a few months?

This doesn't seem any cheaper than just buying 7 Pro OEM (or upgrade) when it comes out. You'll have a full 4 months between when it goes on sale and when the RC expires.