Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LE
Oct 19, 2002

My Mighty Mouse has been trucking along just fine since 2007 under fairly heavy use. Hell, the loving nipple-ball-thing still works.

I guess not all Apple mice are created equally?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Please Sam, don't use the word 'acumen' again.

ErIog posted:

It's not that it's uncomfortably shaped, it's that it will frequently stop working. There's also the issue that you can't rest your fingers on it like you usually use a mouse so you're having to float your fingers above the front of the mouse. That's annoying as hell, and frequently I'll accidentally be resting my middle finger where the right mouse button will be which causes the left mouse button to not work until I pick my finger up.

I fully support this post. There was one cheapo Kingston mouse in the Mac lab at my college.. everyone wanted that mouse. The Apple ones are tiring to use.

Phillyt
Dec 2, 2006

by Tiny Fistpump
What is the longest Ikea desk? Is it the GALANT? I just want to find a desk that is really long so I can put one monitor on it with speakers and still have room to do hand written stuff and have text books on it on the other half of the desk.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Phillyt posted:

What is the longest Ikea desk? Is it the GALANT? I just want to find a desk that is really long so I can put one monitor on it with speakers and still have room to do hand written stuff and have text books on it on the other half of the desk.

Yup. It's somewhat expensive but the cable management behind the desk is really cool.

Akvj1n
Dec 27, 2003

Communism, the word of G-d.

LE posted:

My Mighty Mouse has been trucking along just fine since 2007 under fairly heavy use. Hell, the loving nipple-ball-thing still works.

I guess not all Apple mice are created equally?

I went through two of these before giving up and buying a Logitech mouse. Apple makes lovely overpriced peripherals.

Sir Nigel
Jun 29, 2006

Phillyt posted:

My GALANT in black/brown is 63" wide. There's enough room on this thing for two 24" monitors and still have room to work on poo poo with books and whatnot. If you get a GALANT get the T legs, the A legs are not as good.

However, the largest (widest) desk IKEA makes is a VIKA AMON at 78" wide. If you look at IKEA's website just look up the VIKA products and there will be a VIKA AMON thats $50. (Because there are like 3 different sizes of the AMON desktop) Then you can choose what legs to get. And they have some pretty cool legs for the VIKA series desks.

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Please Sam, don't use the word 'acumen' again.

Sir Nigel posted:

My GALANT in black/brown is 63" wide. There's enough room on this thing for two 24" monitors and still have room to work on poo poo with books and whatnot. If you get a GALANT get the T legs, the A legs are not as good.

However, the largest (widest) desk IKEA makes is a VIKA AMON at 78" wide. If you look at IKEA's website just look up the VIKA products and there will be a VIKA AMON thats $50. (Because there are like 3 different sizes of the AMON desktop) Then you can choose what legs to get. And they have some pretty cool legs for the VIKA series desks.

The one near me had a VIKA on clearance the other day for $100, I'm very tempted to go buy it. 6.5 feet of pure unadulterated desk glory.

Phillyt
Dec 2, 2006

by Tiny Fistpump
For the 78" VIKA AMON, it says you need an extra leg. I assume that means you need 5 legs, not 6?

Edit: Found my answer:

Interesting how that works.

Phillyt fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jun 25, 2009

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008
A 6th leg would be a complete pain in the arse ^

xazax
Jul 16, 2003

Priam posted:

Logitech Illuminated Keyboard. Best I've ever owned.

I also have the illuminated now for a week and i am pretty happy, but there is one problem: A lot of keys make a weird spring noise, a little bit like a spring in a pen. I never heard such a noise in any other keyboard before. Is this just the way this keyboard works or should i look for a replacement ?

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

ErIog posted:

To anyone who will defend these awful mice, don't tell me I have to get used to it. They're premium-priced mice that don't offer any features over conventional mice to justify getting used to anything. At this point we've pretty much perfected what a mouse is. There was a $15 Logitech 10 years ago with 2 buttons and a scroll wheel that was perfect. I shouldn't have to get used to a more expensive mouse in order to duplicate the functionality of something far cheaper and far more usable.

Name me another mouse with ball scrolling like the mighty mouse. I am serious, because I degree generally about the mighty mouse but I love the scroll ball to death, and I won't use a mouse without it for most things. The capacitive buttons don't even annoy me, I got used to lifting one finger while clicking after a day, but the ball gunking up drives me nuts, it tracks materials for poo poo and has low resolution.

jt
Nov 23, 2004

I love Japan! All hail the glorious Nippon!

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

Doesn't it get really annoying reaching for things in those two compartments?

Don't really ever reach for things under there. Mostly I just put books I've finished reading and post cards under the glass, it looks pretty cool I think.

I had a wired mighty mouse, it was a little dodgy but I've got an all Mac setup now at home and wanna leave my Intellimouse 5000 at work these days. :)

AllenR
Dec 5, 2007
Blerg
I bought a new desk the other day and I'm really enjoying it.

ZentraediElite
Oct 22, 2002

AllenR posted:

I bought a new desk the other day and I'm really enjoying it.

Hey! That's my desk!

Kanzen
Jan 4, 2003
Sharpie Pen
Just thought I'd post my desktop since I just got a new camera to take a picture of it with...

malefactor
Jul 23, 2006

by T. Finn
My 4 precious little babies.

On the far right is my vaio CS laptop I nabbed while Circuit city was going bankrupt. I had like 1000$ of insurance money good there since my old HP lappy "broke." Good thing the new lappy was 20% off eh?

On the far left is my old Y2 toughbook.

The screen doesn't work anymore but the rest of its just fine. Got it set up with just a clean vista ultimate OS (same one the other 2 desktops use :ninja: ) avast, utorrent, and ultra vnc. Its 40 gig HD doesn't cut it but that 250 gig one next to it is working out just fine.

Its my fanless downloading power saver :3:

Middle left is the rig.

It has got about 2 TBs of storage on its 6 hard drives. I'm like some kind of E pack rat. Currently its running fallout 3 at 1920 x 1200 on full everything. :buddy:

To its right is my media center.

Its supposed to be in a living room but I just moved back home to get my masters. So it gets to kick it in my room till I finish my mechanical engineering masters and find REAL work. (economy your have about 2 years to shape up)

Its got a 160 gig OS HD, and 2x 250 Gig ones in a raid 0 for TIVO that used to be in my rig. Anything thing I share on my network it can play. Movies, tv shows, tons of music. It has 20 gigs of DDR and a pad. Still need to get a good front end for the emulators on it and find a way to launch DDR from the media center home screen.

S3 sleep works on it so I can turn it on and off with a remote in under 5 seconds. It wakes itself up to record things and goes back to sleep after. So many people have wanted me to make one for them but I know they will gently caress it up and end up calling me every time a problem happens. They can live with regular tivo units.

not shown

My 360 that is getting repaired for free by M$ (thank christ) and the rest of my 5.1 setup that hooks up to the media center and the xbox. The Z5500 5.1 speakers are loving great for low cost good quality 5.1. Got mine on amazon for like 225$ with free shipping like 4 years ago.

edit: My desk sucks, I'm shopping for a real one. Left the old crappy one at school.

malefactor fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Jul 13, 2009

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

Kanzen posted:

Just thought I'd post my desktop since I just got a new camera to take a picture of it with...

I see you hate the ABS M1's insanely bright LEDs also.

vvv ABS M1 has retardedly bright LEDs. They can light up an entire room when I sleep. What is worse, is that if the machine is off, all three lights (Num, Caps, Scroll lock) will all have the insane blue LED on for some odd reason. Why did we switch from red LEDs to insanely bright blue RICE MY CAR LEDs?

JerseyMonkey fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jul 13, 2009

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

JerseyMonkey posted:

I loving hate bright LEDs, I hate them even more when even powered off they feel they need a RED OFF LED.

Kanzen
Jan 4, 2003
Sharpie Pen
It's actually a Das Keyboard, but yep I move the little piece of cloth down if the lights are bothering me in a darkened room. Though they do stay off when the computer is off...

JerseyMonkey posted:

vvv ABS M1 has retardedly bright LEDs. They can light up an entire room when I sleep. What is worse, is that if the machine is off, all three lights (Num, Caps, Scroll lock) will all have the insane blue LED on for some odd reason. Why did we switch from red LEDs to insanely bright blue RICE MY CAR LEDs?

Akvj1n
Dec 27, 2003

The mStand works great, I need a new mouse though.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Every time I see an Apple laptop setup I am reminded of how much I miss mine, and also how much I HATE that Apple hasn't come out with some kind of docking station so you need to detach cables left and right depending on your setup :(

That Guy From Pearldiver
Apr 18, 2001

President and Sole Member of the Andre Braugher Appreciation Society

Martytoof posted:

Every time I see an Apple laptop setup I am reminded of how much I miss mine, and also how much I HATE that Apple hasn't come out with some kind of docking station so you need to detach cables left and right depending on your setup :(

http://www.bookendzdocks.com/

I think these will be the closest to a "offical" apple docking station you will get. I understand your position though. It is a annoyance to constantly Unwire/Rewire everytime you want to take your laptop somewhere.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I forgot all about bookendz. I briefly considered one back when I had a PowerBook. They definitely look more appealing than having to yank 20 cables :cool:

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

Akvj1n posted:

MX Revolution. Kicks the crap out of the Mighty Mouse. (Also, get the flat aluminum keyboard, they're better than the older keyboard)

Martytoof posted:

The LED Cinema Display is probably as close as you're going to get....

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Martytoof posted:

I forgot all about bookendz. I briefly considered one back when I had a PowerBook. They definitely look more appealing than having to yank 20 cables :cool:

Bookends seem like an ok solution but it seems hard to justify the near 300 dollar premium for what is basically a few cable extensions and a USB hub put on a stand.

Nuntius
May 7, 2004

(not a fag)

Juriko posted:

it tracks materials for poo poo and has low resolution.

It tracked so badly on my pine desk that it would fly across the screen when not in use. It was the bluetooth model and I gave it to a friend but she never tried it.

chimz posted:

MX Revolution. Kicks the crap out of the Mighty Mouse. (Also, get the flat aluminum keyboard, they're better than the older keyboard)

The LED Cinema Display is probably as close as you're going to get....

They are here, and ok, but if they are like the screen on my 24" imac they are crap for anything that needs accurate colour, like photoshop

And I ended up with the MX Revo Nano...the perfect mouse for my small hands, and with a bit of software actually more functional than the mighty mouse on a mac. (third button <expose>, 4th button <back> fifth button <spaces>)

I'm almost convinced that apple created the wireless mighty mouse because people like me think...what the hell, it's only £30 extra, i'll get that upgrade. And then they find that it is unreliable and horrible, even if it is very very pretty. The keyboard on the other hand is the best keyboard I've ever used by far.

Sir Nigel
Jun 29, 2006

Akvj1n posted:

What chair is that? Is it comfortable?

Lediur
Jul 16, 2007
The alternative to anything is nothing.
Does anyone have a good speaker stand that can support the weight of an AV40 speaker?

I have a pair of AV40s, but my desk is built awkwardly enough that my second monitor is right in front of the right speaker.

I just want a stand that can hold the speaker out past my monitor. There is desk support under the monitor, but not much support under the part I want the speaker to go.

Click here for the full 1200x578 image.

Sorry for the terrible picture, my camera's crap at low light

Akvj1n
Dec 27, 2003

Sir Nigel posted:

What chair is that? Is it comfortable?

It's from Crate & Barrel, I'm not entirely convinced by it. Main problem is it's not great for my posture, since it has a slight concave shape, it makes me lean forwards instead of back... I would definitely consider it if you want something that looks cool and you won't sit on it for more than one hour at a time.

Logitech mouse looks awesome, but $100 bucks...

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Akvj1n posted:

Got mine for 39.99 this week at Best Buy as advertised in their circular

Baba The Ox
Feb 8, 2004

Don't be so hard on yourself, Fry. You lost the woman of your dreams, but you still have Zoidberg. You all still have Zoidberg!

Akvj1n posted:

Get it here, like sellouts suggested. A drat fine way to spend 40 bucks + shipping.

Baba The Ox fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jul 15, 2009

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

Baba The Ox posted:

Get it here, like sellouts suggested. A drat fine way to spend 40 bucks + shipping.

That link doesn't work for me.

Nuntius
May 7, 2004

(not a fag)

1997 posted:

That link doesn't work for me.

Remove the / at the end of the URL

Trapdoor
Jun 7, 2005
The one and only.

Click for big.

Click for big.

Shown
2x Proson Stratego Top 10 SAH (I know, I know. They're being replaced)
HD PVR (TiVo)
Computer (Asus Rampage II Extreme, Core i7 940 2.93ghz, 12GB Corsair Dominator 1866mhz DDR3 ram, ATI HD4870X2, 5.01TB storage)
Yamaha RX-V590RD Receiver (I know, I know. It's being replaced)
Playstation 3
XBox 360 Elite
40" Sony Bravia (40KDL3550)

Not Shown
HP ProCurve 1800-8G switch
HP Compaq 6910P laptop

Trapdoor fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jul 15, 2009

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Baba The Ox posted:

Holy poo poo. I already have one, but at this price it's tempting to get one for every other computer in the house.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

The Mstand is awesome, but if you're using a 17" MBP don't bother. It barely fits, and when you open the lid the laptop is left sort of balancing on it, and tries to tip off the back a lot. As such, I hardly ever use mine unless I'm leaving the lid closed.

I'll admit, I'm a fan of the Mighty Mouse. It fits my hand perfectly, and when drawing in Illustrator it's awesome because I can make very small movements with just my fingertips anywhere on the body of the mouse and still be able to click. Yeah, the gummed up scroll-clit gets annoying, and I'm probably on my 6th mouse in 2 years, but I've yet to find anything I like better.

I tried an MX Revolution a few months back and I've never hated a piece of hardware more than I hated that loving thing. I've used a lot of lovely mice in my day (the Commodore 1351 comes to mind) but none of them have ever given me a blister on my thumb after a day. Add to that the lovely drivers & tools you have to install in OS X to get the goddamned thing to work, a shape that makes you hold it more like a joystick than a mouse, lovely tracking, and lack of genuinely usable horizontal scrolling. I get red-faced and angry just thinking about that hosed up abortion of an interface device. gently caress Logitech, I'll never buy another product from them after dealing with that. The rage I have for the piece of banana-scented monkey poo poo that is the MX Revolution burns with a fire hotter than every single person who has ever expressed a dislike for the Mighty Mouse combined.

But if you like it, more power to you, I guess.

TremorX fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jul 15, 2009

Lediur
Jul 16, 2007
The alternative to anything is nothing.

TremorX posted:

The Mstand is awesome, but if you're using a 17" MBP don't bother. It barely fits, and when you open the lid the laptop is left sort of balancing on it, and tries to tip off the back a lot. As such, I hardly ever use mine unless I'm leaving the lid closed.

I'll admit, I'm a fan of the Mighty Mouse. It fits my hand perfectly, and when drawing in Illustrator it's awesome because I can make very small movements with just my fingertips anywhere on the body of the mouse and still be able to click. Yeah, the gummed up scroll-clit gets annoying, and I'm probably on my 6th mouse in 2 years, but I've yet to find anything I like better.

I tried an MX Revolution a few months back and I've never hated a piece of hardware more than I hated that loving thing. I've used a lot of lovely mice in my day (the Commodore 1351 comes to mind) but none of them have ever given me a blister on my thumb after a day. Add to that the lovely drivers & tools you have to install in OS X to get the goddamned thing to work, a shape that makes you hold it more like a joystick than a mouse, lovely tracking, and lack of genuinely usable horizontal scrolling. I get red-faced and angry just thinking about that hosed up abortion of an interface device. gently caress Logitech, I'll never buy another product from them after dealing with that. The rage I have for the piece of banana-scented monkey poo poo that is the MX Revolution burns with a fire hotter than every single person who has ever expressed a dislike for the Mighty Mouse combined.

But if you like it, more power to you, I guess.

Logitech's software for the Mac isn't the best.

But with uberOptions on Windows, my MX doesn't experience any of the problems you've mentioned. Couple that with the ability to bind any of the additional function buttons to anything, and this is probably the best mouse I've owned.

And, to be honest, I find it more comfortable to hold than a regular mouse, but that could just be me.

Tilt-wheel side scrolling still sucks though, I have to give you that.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm not saying you're wrong because it's subjective, but I am literally holding a mightymouse right now, then switching to the mx revolution and my hand has not changed its grip or shape in any way shape or form. I'm not sure how you mean you have to hold it like a joystick because I'm certainly not, and if I was then I'm holding the mightmouse the same way :haw:

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Martytoof posted:

I'm not saying you're wrong because it's subjective, but I am literally holding a mightymouse right now, then switching to the mx revolution and my hand has not changed its grip or shape in any way shape or form. I'm not sure how you mean you have to hold it like a joystick because I'm certainly not, and if I was then I'm holding the mightmouse the same way :haw:

I'll admit I probably have a really weird grip; I tend to move my fingers all over the body of the mouse to move it around, sort of spider-like, when I draw, and, again, you can press down on the MM *anywhere* and it'll click. I've been doing this for a while and I've gotten so used to it that using a regular mouse is a pain in the rear end. The MX Rev kind of forces you to only hold it one way and only one way, and that particular position I find really uncomfortable.

Obviously not everyone has the same usage patterns, and I'm not suggesting anyone not buy a MX if it works for you - kind of how the MM is very much a love-it-or-hate-it; I'm clearly in the "can't live without" column.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah, that's cool; Like I said it's all subjective :)