Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Minimaul posted:

So far, I haven't really found it very depressing at all. I was kind of hoping it would be cause I've been in a "wallowing in misery mood" for a week or so. But, strangely, I'm not sad when I watch the show. There was a couple parts that are kind of sad, but there not really a focus of the show or main plot, just part that moves the story along or starts each episode. So, it doesn't tug at the heart strings like you'd think. Then again, maybe it does and I'm just early in the series so it hasn't found its stride yet.

Things start to get really hosed up in season 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

illamint
Jun 26, 2005

According to The Oxford English Dictionary, the word "snapshot" was originally a hunting term.

Mitthrawnuruodo posted:

What did you think of the last few seasons?
I kinda tried to ignore the loss of Sorkin. 5 sucked, comparatively, but I think I still enjoyed them. I tried not to be too critical because I think it's a show that's really enjoyable to watch if you just sit back and do it (notably towards the end). Some of the campaign stuff in 6 and 7 got boring and annoying, but I guess that's inevitable when you've got 10 different storylines going. So, not as strong as the first four, but god drat, still so good.

Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

Mu Zeta posted:

Things start to get really hosed up in season 2

Sweet! Looks like I've got some serious binging to do! Too bad I'll be spending most of my time packing so I can move to a new place this weekend... drat.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Apr 10, 2007

You have no fucking idea how hungry I am

illamint posted:

I kinda tried to ignore the loss of Sorkin. 5 sucked, comparatively, but I think I still enjoyed them. I tried not to be too critical because I think it's a show that's really enjoyable to watch if you just sit back and do it (notably towards the end). Some of the campaign stuff in 6 and 7 got boring and annoying, but I guess that's inevitable when you've got 10 different storylines going. So, not as strong as the first four, but god drat, still so good.

Funny, I thought the campaign stuff was the good stuff as opposed to the incessantly bleak White House. Though the formula of "Josh wants Santos to do something, Santos does a completely different thing, Josh turns out to be wrong" was both repetitive and weakening to Josh's integrity as a character. This guy, who was wrong so much on the trail and can't control his candidate, is the Chief of Staff? We know Josh is better than that anyway, and we should've seen it more often. Still, I did much the same as you, and just sat back and enjoyed the ride. They dealt with John Spencer's death ridiculously well.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's funny how the new writing team was so bad at doing the White House staff. The campaign was done very well, but anytime it went back to CJ, Bartlet, or anyone else on staff it was boring as poo poo. Toby was one of my favorite characters in the first 4 seasons but I was tempted to fast forward through all his parts in season 6/7

Count Choculitis
Sep 13, 2007

I love you, Shepard. I always have. I want to understand what this is between us... and make it real.
Finished season one of Veronica Mars and oh my god, amazing. I really had no idea Kristen Bell was such an awesome actress before this show. She just has nailed it, all season. LOVED the twist ending, so glad they finally solved the murder, though that's kind of been Veronica's thing for the past year, what's she gonna do now that she figured it out? She needs a new obsession! I propose: Logan. Mainly because, a) I'm in love with him, b) he's a hottie, c) their kiss scenes are almost too hot to be on tv. I didn't think I could love a kiss scene more than the one at the end of the movie Penelope, but god drat, they are fantastic. My friend I'm watching it with keeps trying to remind me that the main focus of this show is the mysteries and NOT Veronica and whoever she's dating at the time, but I like to pretend otherwise.

I really love everything about this show. The writing is genius, the one-liners are fantastic, and the only character I don't care that much about is Duncan. I was even really getting to like Aaron Echolls before the ending there, especially the surprise party (where Logan told everyone that if they didn't like HIS GIRLFRIEND Veronica they were dead to him *squee*). I dunno, Duncan is just kind of... meh, to me. I like Lily more than I like him, and she's been dead the whole show! It's not that I dislike him, it's just that I don't have strong feelings about him the way I do with Veronica, Logan, Mr Mars, Weevil... pretty much everyone else.

I can't wait to start season 2 now! So excited to see where they go from here (and for more Logan-Veronica goodness)! I'll also be watching season 2 of Lost again with my friend (I've seen it, he hasn't), and after that we're finally getting to the West Wing which I haven't seen but which all of my friends are obsessed with. Looking forward to watching it, I've heard many good things about the first, 4? seasons?

rockyoursox
Apr 13, 2007
I just binged through the first four season (plus the first five episodes of Season 5) of Weeds. Good but not great show that's definitely dropping a bit in quality. Still, the chaos of the later seasons isn't so bad, since it kinda fits the odd sense of pacing the show always had.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Apr 10, 2007

You have no fucking idea how hungry I am

Count Choculitis posted:

After that we're finally getting to the West Wing which I haven't seen but which all of my friends are obsessed with. Looking forward to watching it, I've heard many good things about the first, 4? seasons?

3 and a bit. 4 is variable, though the first two episodes are possibly the show's best, next to the season 2 finale. The end is good too.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

It's funny how the new writing team was so bad at doing the White House staff. The campaign was done very well, but anytime it went back to CJ, Bartlet, or anyone else on staff it was boring as poo poo. Toby was one of my favorite characters in the first 4 seasons but I was tempted to fast forward through all his parts in season 6/7

I felt like they could have used Charlie better in the later seasons too.

I especially would have liked to see Charlie handle the China trip. It would have been interesting to see Charlie have a scene with Bartlet where Charlie is the one in the position of "power" in which he has to tell Bartlet he can't do what he used to because of the MS

ldo
Jun 12, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Blew through Gossip Girl seasons 1 and 2, Friday Night Lights seasons 1, 2, and 3, and Harper's Island in the last month. All of them have been pretty awesome, for different reasons. Harper's Island has been entirely good enough as a murder/mystery, and I'm amazed this got shown on CBS in prime time. Dude took a harpoon to the chest!

Friday Night Lights is as good as everyone says it is, and "...I'm Chuck Bass." is the best part of Gossip Girl. I think Chuck Bass might be my favorite character on any show on tv.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
Polished off Veronica Mars a little bit ago. The original premise is tremendous, although it was clearly only designed for a single season which made it taper off as the series went into the latter stages, and the writing was pretty good though uneven and nothing special. But Kristen Bell is an absolutely phenomenal actress - which I really had no idea about until now - and that's where a decent detective/teen drama show turns into a loving awesome watch.

If only I had watched UPN in 2004...

knob
May 25, 2005

knob

SaviourX posted:

Angel starts as a detective show that turns into its own supernatural character comedy/drama, and while it's not Firefly, it's cool.

From way back, but.. The show started off pretty silly. Cordelia was loving annoying. But I stuck with it, it had it's charm. In the end, I really liked it. It evolved into a more mature show. It was worth watching, I think.

I just wrapped up the second season of Homicide tonight. This show can be pretty great. Some of the interrogations are pretty loving intense. Last episode of season 2 wasn't the best Nothing against Robin Williams, he did alright, but it was just too weird seeing him there.

I think it gets pretty close to The Wire in terms of cop shows and does a pretty amazing job considering it was on cable TV and not HBO.

Also just started watching Stargate: SG1 on Hulu. It's stupid, but in a fun way. I always thought Stargate was a more serious show, but I guess I was wrong. I like to watch it when I'm not in the mood to watch something that involves my full attention.

Oh, and I was on an HBO kick the past couple months. Went through Carnivale, Rome, and Generation Kill. I absolutely loving loved Rome and Carnivale and it's a loving shame that they were cut short (especially Carnivale, since the ending was so open). Generation Kill was good, but not my favorite.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

knob posted:

I think it gets pretty close to The Wire in terms of cop shows and does a pretty amazing job considering it was on cable TV and not HBO.

This is probably due to the fact that both shows have the same creator and are based off the same source material.

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

I GOT CRABBY ABOUT PHONE GAMING
I remember being so shocked about Doyle. Also, be careful watching Angel without having finished Buffy first. They aired in such a way that parts of Angel spoil Buffy completely if you don't sync up right.

Dioscuri
Feb 6, 2006
Two birds with one stone.
Girlfriend's got me hooked on TrueBlood. A lot of the reason I like it is because it's basically the anti-Twilight when it comes to vampires; though it may be heavy handed at times with its allegory, it never stops being thrilling or hilarious. Also, swearing, boobies and blood, blood, blood. Almost done with the first season now; is there a thread for it somewhere in IV? I can't find it.

Rapsey
Sep 29, 2005
You didn't look very hard then. It's on the second page currently, but it's about second season.

SMP
May 5, 2009

Finished How I Met Your Mother a while ago, now starting the Sopranos

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Not usually a big fan of comedies but I do like Weeds, Californication, and Entourage so I decided to give Eastbound and Down a try and ended up burning through the first season pretty quickly. It was pretty good, especially the first episode that had me laughing like a heyena the whole time.

Now I'm out of shows again and looking to discover something new that I had previously overlooked, but I'm not coming up with anything yet. I hate comedy sitcoms and pretty much watch only serial dramas the exceptions being the above listed shows.

I really hate it when I have nothing to watch. And the last few seasons have seen the end of a lot great shows that were my bread and butter (The Sopranos, The Wire, The Shield, Deadwood, Carnivale, BSG, even Prison Break) and annoyingly these haven't really been replaced with shows of equal quality.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jul 18, 2009

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

-Blackadder- posted:

Not usually a big fan of comedies but I do like Weeds, Californication, and Entourage so I decided to give Eastbound and Down a try and ended up burning through the first season pretty quickly. It was pretty good, especially the first episode that had me laughing like a heyena the whole time.

Now I'm out of shows again and looking to discover something new that I had previously overlooked, but I'm not coming up with anything yet. I hate comedy sitcoms and pretty much watch only serial dramas the exceptions being the above listed shows.

I really hate it when I have nothing to watch. And the last few seasons have seen the end of a lot great shows that were my bread and butter (The Sopranos, The Wire, The Shield, Deadwood, Carnivale, BSG, even Prison Break) and annoyingly these haven't really been replaced with shows of equal quality.

Try Kings, Friday Night Lights, Burn Notice

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

-Blackadder- posted:

Have you seen Big Love, Breaking Bad or Mad Men?

Cherokee Jack
Dec 27, 2005

A couple weeks ago I finished seasons 3 and 4 of Stargate Atlantis. Really impressed, enjoyed it a lot but still can't stand Teyla. I mean, I can tolerate Ronon for crying out loud.

This past week I completed season 9 of SG-1 (going through commentaries before I start season 10) and my wife has been on a huge binge as well, going through four seasons in just a few weeks and is now at season 5. It's pretty cool because she's never watched it before so it's nice to talk sci-fi that isn't just B5 or BSG.

I wonder if she'll hate McKay's first appearance as much as I did?* :xd:

*he's now my favorite character

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car
Trailer park boys series 1
and
Weeds series 5

lots of hilarious off the wall situations in both.

GarySwager
Nov 27, 2005
tot
Six Feet Under, after giving up after 1.5 season two years ago. Binging definitely payed off, even though I had already seen the finale. It was still an emotional affair.

I would disagree with those who says season 4 is completely depressing. Watching 3-5 in a few long sittings might make it different though. The jump-to-depression in season 3 wasn't quite as jarring to me, and there seemed to be plenty of good moments in between the introspection and disasters. Furthermore, I was quite happy to see Claire move on and deal with (entertaining and still somewhat irritating) art shenanigans instead of teenage angst. I guess sleeping around, using drugs, and being hosed up is just more relatable and interesting to me than having stupid boyfriends, being a teenager and being hosed up.

Binging on SFU does lead to great amounts of introspection though, butI can't figure out if that's a good or a bad thing...

Leviathan
Oct 8, 2001

I hear the jury's
still out.. on science.
Fun Shoe
Anyone think it's a good idea to edit the OP with a relatively comprehensive list of half hour and 1 hr shows that are goon-approved so we can avoid the usual "what should I watch now" question that pops up every five posts?

So far for hour-long, I would put:

The Wire
House
Big Love
Sopranos
Mad Men
Dexter
BSG
Breaking Bad
Deadwood
Rome
ER
Six Feet Under
Dead Like Me
The Shield
Carnivale
True Blood
Friday Night Lights
Heroes
West Wing
Rescue Me
Veronica Mars
Chuck
Nip Tuck
Lost
Prison Break

Leviathan fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jul 19, 2009

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

Carnivale. I'm only three episodes in and it's one of the greatest shows I've ever seen. The way the show presents itself makes me wonder why I hate LOST but love this show so far. Maybe I'm a hypocrite v:v:v

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Leviathan posted:

Anyone think it's a good idea to edit the OP with a relatively comprehensive list of half hour and 1 hr shows that are goon-approved so we can avoid the usual "what should I watch now" question that pops up every five posts?

How many would actually recommend Heroes anymore?

Count Choculitis
Sep 13, 2007

I love you, Shepard. I always have. I want to understand what this is between us... and make it real.
Don't forget Kings for the hour-long, even though it's almost over and just one season. :(

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
24 should probably be in there too.

waar
Sep 29, 2001

Leviathan posted:

I made a list just like this a while ago on another forum with rankings, obviously these are just my opinions so don't yell at me if you disagree but if we want a list this would be a good place to start:

High Quality Drama
1. The Wire (2002, 5 seasons)
2. Kings (2009, 1 season)
3. Band of Brothers (2001, mini-series)
4. Generation Kill (2008, mini-series)
5. The Shield (2002, 7 seasons)
6. The Sopranos (1999, 6 seasons)
7. Mad Men (2007, 2 seasons, still on the air)
8. Rome (2005, 2 seasons)
9. Carnivale (2003, 2 seasons)
10. John Adams (2008, mini-series)
11. Six Feet Under (2001, 5 seasons)
12. Deadwood (2004, 3 seasons)
13. Breaking Bad (2008, 2 seasons, still on the air)
14. Damages (2007, 2 seasons, still on the air)
15. Sons of Anarchy (2008, 1 season, still on the air)
16. Dexter (2006, 3 seasons, still on the air)
17. The West Wing (1999, 7 seasons)
18. Oz (1997, 6 seasons)

Medium/Low Quality Drama: Shows that are fun to watch but are honestly not that good. "Fun shows"
1. House, M.D. (2004, 5 seasons, still on the air)
2. Battlestar Galactica (2004, 4 seasons, still on the air)
3. Heroes (2006, 3 seasons, still on the air)
4. True Blood (2007, 1 season, still on the air)
5. Studio 60 (2006, 1 season)
6. 24 (2001, 7 seasons, still on the air)
7. Lost (2004, 5 seasons, still on the air)
8. Boston Legal (2004, 5 seasons, still on the air)
9. Veronica Mars (2004, 3 seasons)

Cult Sci-Fi:
1. Babylon 5 (1994, 5 seasons)
2. Star Trek: Deep Space Nine (1993, 7 seasons)
3. Star Trek: The Next Generation (1987, 7 seasons)
4. Stargate SG-1 (1997, 10 seasons)
5. Star Trek: Voyager (1995, 7 seasons)
6. Firefly (2002, 1 season)

Comedies:
1. It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia (2005, 4 seasons, still on the air)
2. 30 Rock (2006, 3 seasons, still on the air)
3. Arrested Development (2003, 3 seasons)
4. Seinfeld (1990, 9 seasons)
5. Entourage (2004, 5 seasons, still on the air)
6. Scrubs (2001, 8 seasons)

edit: I would also add The Office, Parks and Recreation, Burn Notice, and Fringe somewhere in there

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

waar posted:

Medium/Low Quality Drama: Shows that are fun to watch but are honestly not that good. "Fun shows"
5. Studio 60 (2006, 1 season)
9. Veronica Mars (2004, 3 seasons)

I know, no yelling, but Studio 60 ahead of Veronica Mars, really? Also Sports Night should be on the comedy list, it's just like Studio 60 but funny and good.

This might be too much work, but perhaps setting up a poll to determine which shows make the list and how they're ranked would be a good idea.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

jeffersonlives posted:

This might be too much work, but perhaps setting up a poll to determine which shows make the list and how they're ranked would be a good idea.

Or just add "in no specific order" and save everyone the time and heartbreak.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Leviathan & waar posted:

"Looking for something good to watch" list

I'd also add

Sleeper Cell
The Riches
Weeds
Californication
Eastbound and Down
Day Break
Rome
Jekyll
The Tudors

Should also probably have an Animated list that includes stuff like Avatar: The Last Airbender, Legend of the Galactic Heroes, and Death Note.

Another list type would be Reality Shows which could include the really annoying reality shows like American Idol, I guess, because apparently some people watch that stuff, but also the decent more educational slanted shows like Deadliest Catch and SurvivorMan/Man vs. Wild

Also unless you want to make British Comedy it's own section don't forget stuff like Blackadder and Faulty Towers

We could also have a Classics list that had stuff like...

The Twilight Zone
Night Gallery
The Outer Limits
Alfred Hitchcock Presents
Star Trek
Have Gun - Will Travel
The Prisoner
Danger Man/Secret Agent

Come to think of it maybe somebody should just make a Goon TV Recommendations Megathread with a giant OP. I had a good thread going for a while called Fiending for something good to watch.... but it fell into the archives and I don't feel like making another.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jul 20, 2009

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

-Blackadder- posted:

Come to think of it maybe somebody should just make a Goon TV Recommendations Megathread with a giant OP. I had a good thread going for a while called Fiending for something good to watch.... but it fell into the archives and I don't feel like making another.

Said thread for those with archive access: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2867990

swalk
Nov 20, 2004
bucka blaow
I'm sick so I watched both seasons of Mad Men (20 hours worth) in under 2 days and now I can't wait for season 3.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

waar posted:

I made a list just like this a while ago on another forum with rankings, obviously these are just my opinions so don't yell at me if you disagree but if we want a list this would be a good place to start:

Say what you will about some of those, but it seems a shame to lump Babylon 5 together with Voyager and Stargate. If you're just categorizing it as "lasers and aliens" then I guess, but that's quite a quality gulf between them.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

EX-GAIJIN AT LAST posted:

I think the list would be fine if 24 replaced it.

While I would never download "seasons" of it, Amazing Race and Hell's Kitchen are great shows to watch "live".

Kenny vs. Spenny is the best and funniest show to watch with a group of college/uni friends just drinking and hanging out. At one point it used to be Family Guy, but even with a group of people it's still not as funny (as it used to be) and it's even more awkward to watch than alone. Uncomfortable silences scattered with "is that supposed to be funny?" Random episodes of KvP almost always get the entire group roaring.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

swalk posted:

I'm sick so I watched both seasons of Mad Men (20 hours worth) in under 2 days and now I can't wait for season 3.

I've been re-watching in anticipation of season 3 as well. Show looks terrific in Blu-Ray.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

EX-GAIJIN AT LAST posted:

or Prison Break for that matter.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."

waar posted:

Comedies:
1. It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia (2005, 4 seasons, still on the air)
2. 30 Rock (2006, 3 seasons, still on the air)
3. Arrested Development (2003, 3 seasons)
4. Seinfeld (1990, 9 seasons)
5. Entourage (2004, 5 seasons, still on the air)
6. Scrubs (2001, 8 seasons)

edit: I would also add The Office, Parks and Recreation, Burn Notice, and Fringe somewhere in there

Chuck, Psych, How I Met Your Mother, The Big Bang Theory and Party Down also need to be in this list.

That said, I was badgered by a goon friend to watch Party Down, finished all 10 episodes in like 3 days last week, really enjoyed it.

Starting on The IT Crowd now as I have time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
Chuck is the best show on TV, put it top of all the lists right now