Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

WizardShotFood posted:

Is that from ebuyer? Seems places are offering their own discounts on top, amazon is doing it for £89.

Yes, but my order then said "Stock warning" and claimed both were out of stock while the product pages still showed units available for pre-order, so I don't know what the gently caress.

To be safe I've ordered the same again on play.com for slightly more money, so if ebuyer have screwed up them I'm still good and if they haven't I'll cancel the order on play.com.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WizardShotFood
Jun 18, 2001

Nuking nutrients.
Yeah I tried amazon and they had a Pre-Order Now button and it was in my basket but now its gone again, so I think I'll wait till tomorrow when the dust has settled. Hope everyone doesnt go nuts and the 350 units or however many stores have sell out overnight...

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Home Premium's £45 on Amazon at the moment. Can't go wrong with that!

Kodo
Jul 20, 2003

THIS IS HOW YOUR CANDIDATE EATS CINNAMON ROLLS, KODO
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, but it doesn't look like it's in the OP:

Microsoft confirms upgrading Windows 7 RC to final

which, unfortunately means a fresh install with a folder that says 'windows.old'

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
Is it possible I can make a single button click, make a window disappear? like on the task bar. say I middle click something, like windows media player or notepad, and have it close.

Scenter
Jul 3, 2008

by angerbeet

Priapist posted:

You need to install the driver patch released on 6/16 at Asus' support site. It's actually under the Vista section but you'll need it for Windows 7 as well. This finally fixes the issues with DS3D that were causing apps to hang under Vista. It also fixes the issue under Win7. It wasn't included in the recent beta drivers for some reason.

That worked. Thanks again.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Gvaz posted:

Is it possible I can make a single button click, make a window disappear? like on the task bar. say I middle click something, like windows media player or notepad, and have it close.

This exact method actually works with the Aero thumbnail previews; middle-clicking on one of them closes it.

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

m2pt5 posted:

This exact method actually works with the Aero thumbnail previews; middle-clicking on one of them closes it.

Oh sweet! Yeah, I hadn't noticed this, that works just as well.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
Are there any virtual drive programs that work with win7 that can emulate anchient (~11 years old) copy protection. Daemon Tools could do it if I enabled the safedisk/secuROM/whatever options, but that doesn't work. I just want to play Twinsen's Odyssey again :smith:

NoArmedMan
Apr 1, 2003

Captain Novolin posted:

Are there any virtual drive programs that work with win7 that can emulate anchient (~11 years old) copy protection. Daemon Tools could do it if I enabled the safedisk/secuROM/whatever options, but that doesn't work. I just want to play Twinsen's Odyssey again :smith:

The safedisk etc part doesnt work or daemon tools doesn't work?

Daemon Tools works on Win 7 as of 1-2 months ago.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I convinced my roommate to install Windows 7 on his computer and despite all his bragging about how amazing his setup is with his two video cards and poo poo (and how much he paid for it), mine scores better on every single rating in the Windows Experience Index. He is now threatening to downgrade back to XP because apparently he can't both run WoW and iTunes at the same time without the game freezing completely.

Plainly it is all Microsoft's fault that he scores worse than me and his games crash, not his overpriced hardware, Blizzard, or Apple's fault. :rolleyes:

Sir Nigel
Jun 29, 2006

Hamelin posted:

I convinced my roommate to install Windows 7 on his computer and despite all his bragging about how amazing his setup is with his two video cards and poo poo (and how much he paid for it), mine scores better on every single rating in the Windows Experience Index. He is now threatening to downgrade back to XP because apparently he can't both run WoW and iTunes at the same time without the game freezing completely.

Plainly it is all Microsoft's fault that he scores worse than me and his games crash, not his overpriced hardware, Blizzard, or Apple's fault. :rolleyes:

What is his setup like?

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

NoArmedMan posted:

The safedisk etc part doesnt work or daemon tools doesn't work?

Daemon Tools works on Win 7 as of 1-2 months ago.
Whenever I try to install it I get stuck in an infinite loop of run setup, "setup needs to restart to continue", restart, setup, and so on. Am I doing something wrong?

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Sir Nigel posted:

What is his setup like?
I'll get on his computer next time he leaves it idle and check.

Sir Nigel
Jun 29, 2006

Captain Novolin posted:

Whenever I try to install it I get stuck in an infinite loop of run setup, "setup needs to restart to continue", restart, setup, and so on. Am I doing something wrong?

Are you using a pirated copy of Daemon Tools Advanced? If so its probably not the latest version and if its not the latest version then it won't work with 7.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

Sir Nigel posted:

Are you using a pirated copy of Daemon Tools Advanced? If so its probably not the latest version and if its not the latest version then it won't work with 7.

Nope, just a fresh download of lite.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
I've switched over to the free version of Alcohol 52% from Daemon Tools and am enjoying it more.

Sir Nigel
Jun 29, 2006

Captain Novolin posted:

Nope, just a fresh download of lite.

Try the trial of standard. I just installed it literally like 3 days ago.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

WizardShotFood posted:

Yeah I tried amazon and they had a Pre-Order Now button and it was in my basket but now its gone again, so I think I'll wait till tomorrow when the dust has settled. Hope everyone doesnt go nuts and the 350 units or however many stores have sell out overnight...

Do they only have 350 units available under the preorder promo?

gently caress, I'm waiting till I get a job sometime in the next month before buying it. Leaving it to the last minute. drat, I hope I can scrouge up enough money before they run out - I dont wanna pay double.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

univbee posted:

While it could theoretically be done with the product key somehow, no one I know of has ever done this. They will make it a pain in the rear end for you to get it, what with several companies not shipping software internationally (and it may even be against their Microsoft reseller agreement), but assuming you can get around that and get your hands on a copy it should install and play fine.

There's a slim chance some EU-specific software might get out of wack if it does some kind of forced "are you running Windows 7 E" check (e.g. some old Activision games had distinct US and UK editions that checked your Windows regional setting to make sure you were "allowed" to play). I think that's largely a thing of the past, though.

Isn't there DVD region coding and stuff too? I have some R2 discs and I recall there being issues trying to play some of them even after I set one of my DVD drives to R2 in firmware.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

EX-GAIJIN AT LAST posted:

Isn't there DVD region coding and stuff too? I have some R2 discs and I recall there being issues trying to play some of them even after I set one of my DVD drives to R2 in firmware.

DVD Region codes are strictly a video thing, and not even a very effective one. It's a single byte in one specific file in the VIDEO_TS folder that determines region code. DVD discs that contain data (like software installation discs) do not have any region coding whatsoever. There are only two ways to do region coding for software:

Method 1: Make the game only work if the Country/Region setting in Windows is set to a specific country. This is, of course, laughably easy to circumvent if you know this. As I said before, Activision games like Quake 2 did this.

Method 2: Use some kind of I.P. address check to ensure complacency. Of course, this requires an active internet connection wherever the software is installed. Excluding MMOs (many popular MMOs like WoW and Age of Conan have separate North American and European servers, that are typically only accessible if you bought the client from those respecitve areas), the only case I know of this happening is with Valve's Orange Box, as there were a rash of people importing the game from Russia for like $5 when it $50 at that time, so they started region-locking those keys. Again, I can't think of any reason why an OS vendor would have any desire to do this, especially since that would stand a good chance of loving over someone who was traveling.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

Charles Martel posted:

I've switched over to the free version of Alcohol 52% from Daemon Tools and am enjoying it more.

Sir Nigel posted:

Try the trial of standard. I just installed it literally like 3 days ago.

Neither of these are working for me. It gets past the SPDT install, asks to restart, then repeats on startup. I've tried just installing SPDT, but it doesn't help either.

WizardShotFood
Jun 18, 2001

Nuking nutrients.

Xachariah posted:

gently caress, I'm waiting till I get a job sometime in the next month before buying it. Leaving it to the last minute. drat, I hope I can scrouge up enough money before they run out - I dont wanna pay double.

No I didnt mean that was the total amount, I was just going on the number ebuyer had available for preorder last night (which has sold out now), the other stores may have different amounts I'm not sure :)

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

Sir Nigel posted:

What is his setup like?

Sounds like he's talking about a unibody Macbook Pro, he needs to make sure his friend has the latest nVidia drivers or else it'll run like poo poo. That's what happened to me and now it runs great in Win 7.

Edit: For reference, this is what his WEI should look like if it is an MBP.

Click here for the full 839x197 image.

1997 fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Jul 15, 2009

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

I'm still unsure what's going on with ebuyer. Going to phone them to find out if my order actually worked when they open in an hour or so.

Sir Nigel
Jun 29, 2006

1997 posted:

Sounds like he's talking about a unibody Macbook Pro, he needs to make sure his friend has the latest nVidia drivers or else it'll run like poo poo. That's what happened to me and now it runs great in Win 7.

Edit: For reference, this is what his WEI should look like if it is an MBP.

Click here for the full 839x197 image.

Somehow I don't think so. He's probably got some system off of some prebuilt site that has two 9800GTs or something.

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

Hamelin posted:

Are you using the experience index from vista? That gave much higher scores.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

Sir Nigel posted:

Somehow I don't think so. He's probably got some system off of some prebuilt site that has two 9800GTs or something.

Well Hamelin named Apple and I assumed he meant for a Macbook, but I forgot he was talking about iTunes as well.

Also I'm not wondering why that guy was using XP on a new machine with dual graphics cards. Why didn't he have Vista?

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

NoArmedMan posted:

I spoke to a senior MS manager and he informed me that theres no plans for a similar promotion in Australia. On the plus side, he just told he'd hook a brotha up.

I wish I had buddies who could hook me up. Unfortunately, I'm a plebe so I have to fork out the arm, leg and 4/5th of a soul to buy it :(

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Amazon UK says here that "At present in the EU, all versions of Windows 7 (Home Premium, Professional and Ultimate) are the full product. This means that to install Windows 7, you do not need any previous version of Windows installed on your computer." Is that accurate? Basically, I want to be able to do a clean install straight from booting off the DVD. I know this has been discussed recently but I've read conflicting things about it.

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Jul 15, 2009

John Wayne Gacy
Mar 21, 2006

Pogo the Clown
The €50 preorder version went on sale in Germany today and was sold out within the first ten minutes at Amazon and most other online retailers.

John Wayne Gacy fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Jul 15, 2009

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

John Wayne Gacy posted:

The €50 preorder version went on sale in Germany today and was sold out within the first ten minutes at Amazon and most other online retailers.
Try again later - same thing happened on Amazon UK before I knew it was available, then it reappeared in an hour or two. Obviously they got more "stock" in. Also, Professional might still be up?

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Try again later - same thing happened on Amazon UK before I knew it was available, then it reappeared in an hour or two. Obviously they got more "stock" in. Also, Professional might still be up?

It's available now for ~120 EUR instead of ~50.
I don't think it will be available again any time soon, unless MS wants to lock in more customers. The funny thing is that the whole sale probably cost the online retailers more money from lost sales due to their sites being hammered and unavailable than they recouped by selling Windows 7. Some e-shops are still not back up properly although the sale has been cancelled by now.

There is a huge shitstorm over at Amazon now. Well over 150 one-star product reviews had to be removed at 9:30 a.m., 30 minutes after the sale started (I got two copies before it completely went nuts, yay!)

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

Xachariah posted:

If its anything like the American sales (it should be) your card won't be charged until the product ships.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Amazon UK says here that "At present in the EU, all versions of Windows 7 (Home Premium, Professional and Ultimate) are the full product. This means that to install Windows 7, you do not need any previous version of Windows installed on your computer." Is that accurate? Basically, I want to be able to do a clean install straight from booting off the DVD. I know this has been discussed recently but I've read conflicting things about it.

It's correct, since MS took IE out they also are not releasing any upgrade versions of 7 to the EU for several months after GA. They supposedly reduced the price of the full versions to compensate, but its still gonna be expensive.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

kapinga posted:

If its anything like the American sales (it should be) your card won't be charged until the product ships.

Thanks! I tried pre-ordering it, my debit card doesn't have the cash right now but I'll undoubtedly be able to get the money in before it officially ships.

Seems to have been successful, thanks man. Probably saved me over £100.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
amazon.de has ultimate listed at 319€

:(

I'd but the german version happily, if it was at a discount price.
I can't get to the ultimate version on .co.uk
(edit: found it, and yeah i forgot that ultimate is not discounted.)

url fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Jul 15, 2009

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

kapinga posted:

It's correct, since MS took IE out they also are not releasing any upgrade versions of 7 to the EU for several months after GA. They supposedly reduced the price of the full versions to compensate, but its still gonna be expensive.
£45 for a full licence version of Windows 7 Home Premium - and they've even removed IE for me? Yes please.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Having spoken to ebuyer, apparently the 'stock warning' business is normal for preorders so if anyone else is ordering from them i guess you can expect that too.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Oops, double post.

rolleyes fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jul 15, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug
So, if I have a copy of vista business edition, can I upgrade to W7 Ultimate? The first post in this thread seems to indicate that:

quote:

Q: Can I upgrade from Vista Business to Windows 7 Home Premium?

A: No, only upgrades to an equal or better equivalent version are allowed.
Whereas the purchase page for Windows 7 on the microsoft site is much more ambiguous

quote:

# Running Windows Vista?
# If you have Windows Vista, you can purchase Windows 7 Upgrade versions. You can do a clean install (back up your files, clean install, and reinstall your applications) or an in -place upgrade (Windows 7 installs over Windows Vista).
# Running Earlier Versions?
# If you have Windows XP or Windows 2000, you can purchase Windows 7 Upgrade versions. But you must back up your files, clean install, and reinstall your applications.

Also, where is currently the best place to purchase Windows 7? I'd like to get a key to use for RTM when it's released.