Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Wow, it's shipping tomorrow already. :aaa:

Did anyone else get sales tax added to their order?

FitFortDanga posted:

El Norte, El Norte, and El Norte

And Last Year at Marienbad.

I was SO close to getting El Norte, but I don't think I'll watch it more than once. Great movie, but not the most rewatchable unfortunately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Egbert Souse posted:

I was SO close to getting El Norte, but I don't think I'll watch it more than once. Great movie, but not the most rewatchable unfortunately.

This is why I never got Salo. I know that I'll never be able to bring myself to watch it a second time. Hell, I don't think I'd be able to bring myself to watch it all the way through the first time. :gonk:

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Egbert Souse posted:

Oh man, I've seen it like 10 times. Is it just too much of a downer?

IndieRockLance
Jan 29, 2003

The devourer of worlds demands a Moon Pie to satiate his hunger!

Cacator posted:

There are no Barnes and Nobles in my country and the ones I want are not listed on sale on the website so I wish you all a painful death.

If it's any further consolation, I just spent all my money visiting your continent and can't afford cheap Criterions. If I had the cash, I'd start loading up on French New Wave films like I've been wanting to do, starting with Jules & Jim since I love that movie. At least it goes until August.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

That Seventh Seal on Blu-Ray, is that a normal case or is it the folding paper one they've been using.

I've seen a cool shorter plastic case for the newest blu-ray release but I just can't bring myself to buy a paper case.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

DevCore posted:

That Seventh Seal on Blu-Ray, is that a normal case or is it the folding paper one they've been using.

I've seen a cool shorter plastic case for the newest blu-ray release but I just can't bring myself to buy a paper case.

Normal plastic case

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

DevCore posted:

It is the short plastic case.

The "Digipak" cases are actually really nice. They definitely don't detract from the presentation.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."

CRAYON posted:

It is the short plastic case.

The "Digipak" cases are actually really nice. They definitely don't detract from the presentation.

I think that, design and presentation wise, the digipacks are a lot nicer than the plastic cases. I was kind of disappointed when I opened up The Seventh Seal to see the normal old booklet instead of a graphic across the entire inside like on my other Criterion Blu-Rays.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

They look nicer, but I'm just always concerned about durability.

I can always switch out out the cases and it'll look brand new, where as any ding, or normal wearing you get with the digipak case is for good.

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

Merry Christmas Scary Wormhole!
I'm on vacation and had to drive out 40 minutes to get to the nearest B & N that sold DVDs. My haul was Bicycle Thieves, Chasing Amy, The Hit, and Friends of Eddie Coyle. Apparently, Eddie Coyle didn't ring up as discounted, but the clerk was nice and rang it up half-off anyway since her instructions said to mark them all down :). I'm thinking off ordering the Cassavetes box set later this month.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Amazon lowered their prices on The Man Who Fell to Earth, The 400 Blows, and For All Mankind to match B&N. :argh:

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006

Egbert Souse posted:

Amazon lowered their prices on The Man Who Fell to Earth, The 400 Blows, and For All Mankind to match B&N. :argh:

They lowered The Third Man too for those who don't have it yet. Also in the stores all of the dvds and blu-rays are 50% inc. The Seventh Seal and any other dvd coming out before August 3rd. I had my B+N order a copy of Seventh Seal for me but the clerk wasn't sure if the Repulsion BR would be discounted.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

I bought Blast of Silence and the Rialto 10 pack which has Army of Shadows, Au Hasard Balthazar, Band of Outsiders, Billy Liar, The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie, Mafioso, Murderous Maids, Rififi, The Third Man, and Touchez Pas Au Grisbi. I'm gonna pick up Days of Heaven and The Friends of Eddie Coyle too, for sure.

Fuuuuuuck you B&N I don't have this kind of money

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Aren't there announcements today?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Egbert Souse posted:

It usually happens on the 15th (or the business day preceding or following it) but not 100% of the time. IIRC, last month it was on the 15th, but came rather late in the day.

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006

Egbert Souse posted:

Like FFD said, probably late tonight or tomorrow. Since it's for October Cronos will be one of the announcements since it's a horror film and even though it lost the amazon poll I'm still hoping Kwaidan gets a blu-ray release.

EDIT: \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

They should, there are so many classic horror movies that need restorations done (The Haunting and The Innocents specifically). Also since Masters of Cinema released Nosferatu I'm kinda expecting Criterion to release it at some point, at least I'm hopeful given the bang up job they did on Vampyr.

SneakySneaks fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jul 16, 2009

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

SneakySneaks posted:

Like FFD said, probably late tonight or tomorrow. Since it's for October Cronos will be one of the announcements since it's a horror film and even though it lost the amazon poll I'm still hoping Kwaidan gets a blu-ray release.

I don't think they've ever done "Halloween releases" just because it's October. Last October was Missing, Le Deuxieme Souffle, Le Doulos, and the Mizoguchi Eclipse set. Before that the October releases were Under the Volcano, Breathless, Mala Noche, Days of Heaven, and the Saura set.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

SneakySneaks posted:

EDIT: \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

They should, there are so many classic horror movies that need restorations done (The Haunting and The Innocents specifically). Also since Masters of Cinema released Nosferatu I'm kinda expecting Criterion to release it at some point, at least I'm hopeful given the bang up job they did on Vampyr.

Warner's DVD for The Haunting is terrific. Short of including the recently found workprint with extra scenes, it has a great transfer, along with a commentary track with Robert Wise. If Warner is to license anything, it needs to be their silent films. Criterion doing von Stroheim's Greed = awesome.

All of the Transit Films/Murnau Foundation restorations are licensed to Kino in R1. MoC seems to have rights in R2 UK. Vampyr is owned by the Danish Film Institute. But there's confirmations of several of Paramount's silents being licensed (i.e. their three von Sternberg films and Stroheim's The Wedding March).

If anything, I'd like to see Criterion finally do some animation releases. Paramount owns all the 1930s Max Fleischer cartoons (except for Popeye), as well as all the George Pal Puppetoons.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Egbert Souse posted:

Short of including the recently found workprint with extra scenes,

What the gently caress, when did this happen?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

penismightier posted:

What the gently caress, when did this happen?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057129/alternateversions

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Yeah, this is just right. Has a nice feel, too.

FitFortDanga posted:

I don't think they've ever done "Halloween releases" just because it's October. Last October was Missing, Le Deuxieme Souffle, Le Doulos, and the Mizoguchi Eclipse set. Before that the October releases were Under the Volcano, Breathless, Mala Noche, Days of Heaven, and the Saura set.

Yeah, their monthly releases rarely coincide with anything seasonal or holiday related. The Monsters and Madmen set would've been prime for October, but I think it got a January release or something.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Wow! Fancy that. Guess it does need a new DVD release.

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

For you guys who didn't order from B&N. If you're using a Visa card to pay for it, you can use this link link to get free shipping automatically and 5% off.

Whether you're a visa man or not, the coupon codes K3W4T3D or R9C9M3U can be used for 10% off one item. 15% off if you're a member and use H7K9W4P.

The 10% and 5% Visa thing can work together I found. So this covers the tax, shipping, and a couple cents extra.

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006

Egbert Souse posted:

Warner's DVD for The Haunting is terrific. Short of including the recently found workprint with extra scenes, it has a great transfer, along with a commentary track with Robert Wise.

I'd like few documentaries on how it influenced a lot of today's filmmakers (Del Toro does awesome commentaries and would be perfect for a film like this, much like his region 2 commentary for Vampyr). Also just chiming in that Wages of Fear is amazing in blu-ray and anyone who hasn't yet bought it should do it now.

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

Merry Christmas Scary Wormhole!

The Lucas posted:

For you guys who didn't order from B&N. If you're using a Visa card to pay for it, you can use this link link to get free shipping automatically and 5% off.

Whether you're a visa man or not, the coupon codes K3W4T3D or R9C9M3U can be used for 10% off one item. 15% off if you're a member and use H7K9W4P.

The 10% and 5% Visa thing can work together I found. So this covers the tax, shipping, and a couple cents extra.

Thank you for this.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Also you can get 10% cashback with Bing: http://www.bing.com/shopping/pages/stores.aspx?scope=cashback&FORM=CBFS07

So in all if you're a member that's 80% off.

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006
In case anyone hasn't noticed yet B+N lowered all blu-ray prices to 19.99 inc the Seventh Seal.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
B&N Criterions come out to $15.30 each after the 50% discount, the 10% member discount, and the 15% off coupon. The 15% coupon can only be applied to a single item, but if you pay with a Visa, you get free shipping (so you can just make multiple single-item orders).

15.30 each.

This is it. This is the sale that is finally going to bankrupt me.

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

doctor thodt posted:

B&N Criterions come out to $15.30 each after the 50% discount, the 10% member discount, and the 15% off coupon. The 15% coupon can only be applied to a single item, but if you pay with a Visa, you get free shipping (so you can just make multiple single-item orders).

15.30 each.

This is it. This is the sale that is finally going to bankrupt me.

You also get 5% off with the Visa thing!

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Doesn't work in conjunction with member discount :(

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006

doctor thodt posted:

Doesn't work in conjunction with member discount :(

The free shipping works though.

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

How do you find out about the new Criterion releases. Where are they announced?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

The Lucas posted:

How do you find out about the new Criterion releases. Where are they announced?

Is this really so hard to figure out?

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
Welp I broke down and bought Throne of Blood and The Third Man. There were a couple more I would have considered but B&N's (Peabody, MA store) selection didn't have them. I'm either going to online or go to another store, but I got time since according to the cashier the sale lasts until 8/3. It was helpful that B&N seperates most of its Criterions into a separate display.

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

:( It looks like Replusion bumped up, if i'm not mistaken.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I'll get Z on the merits of it being a fantastic film, but I'm shocked it's DVD-only and it doesn't quite have a great array of extras. Wellspring had the R2 French DVD's commentary with Costa-Gavras, albiet in French - and apparently not subtitled. Criterion could have included a transcription text commentary at least.

Surprising, considering one of its best merits is the cinematography.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Uh, I hope this is an error or something but the latest batch of Blu-Rays have an MSRP of $50.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

I got Young Mr. Lincoln, The First Films of Sam Fuller, and The Friends of Eddie Coyle today on top of all the other poo poo I bought Tuesday. Fuuuuuuck this saleeeeeeeeee.

PS: The "Essential Art House" titles are like 8 bucks with a membership - meaning poo poo like Black Narcissus and The 400 Blows are now cheaper than Blade and Willow at the Walgreens sale rack.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Starting to pop now...

Monsoon Wedding (DVD/BR)
Wings of Desire (DVD/BR)
Howard's End (BR)
Z

Eclipse 18: Dusan Makavejev: Free Radical

details to follow...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

#489 - Monsoon Wedding

(no cover art yet)

•New, restored high-definition digital transfer, supervised by director Mira Nair and director of photography Declan Quinn (with DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition)
•Audio commentary featuring Nair
•Nair’s short documentaries So Far from India (1983), India Cabaret (1985), and The Laughing Club of India (2001), featuring video introductions by the director
•Nair’s short fiction films The Day the Mercedes Became a Hat (1993), 11’09"01—September 11 (Segment: “India”) (2002), Migration (2007), and How Can It Be? (2008), featuring video introductions by the director
•New video interview with actor Naseeruddin Shah, conducted by Nair
•New video interviews with Quinn and production designer Stephanie Carroll
•Theatrical trailer
•New and improved English subtitle translation
•PLUS: An essay by critic and travel writer Pico Iyer

I started watching this once and couldn't get into it. Nair's Salaam Bombay is decent, though, so maybe I'll give it another chance.