Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

Agreed posted:

If all you're doing is lowering and raising the output of your guitar in an ordinary usage scenario (say, to get more or less crunch out of your setup), the volume pot is fine. On the other hand if you're doing swells or otherwise altering your amplitude for effect, OR if you intend to adjust the volume without having to keep a hand on your volume knob, a pedal's a good way to go.

Im with agreed on this one, I will use both, depending on what the song calls for. Sometimes I need to build up volume and grittyness gradually while I am strumming, the pedal makes this a breeze.

Love using it before dirt. Id love to have 2, one before and one after, but that is a little ridiculous...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomy
Oct 19, 2004

So I figured out what was causing the noise, it was a lovely 6" patch cord. Swipped a new one at band practice and all is fine in the world now. What it must have been was a lovely ground, partially broken or something, on the patch.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

Agreed posted:

On the other hand if you're doing swells or otherwise altering your amplitude for effect, OR if you intend to adjust the volume without having to keep a hand on your volume knob, a pedal's a good way to go.
Yeah, this. The guitar volume knob is good enough if you have to make a change from level X to level Y and that's it. A volume pedal at the beginning of your chain (which is indeed just a volume knob for your foot) is infinitely more useful as a tool for musical dynamics. Good luck using your guitar volume knob to crescendo over the course of 8 bars while you're playing something non-trivial. On the other hand gradually opening up the pedal with your foot is quite easy even while your right hand is busy playing something complex.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Col.Kiwi posted:

Yeah, this. The guitar volume knob is good enough if you have to make a change from level X to level Y and that's it. A volume pedal at the beginning of your chain (which is indeed just a volume knob for your foot) is infinitely more useful as a tool for musical dynamics. Good luck using your guitar volume knob to crescendo over the course of 8 bars while you're playing something non-trivial. On the other hand gradually opening up the pedal with your foot is quite easy even while your right hand is busy playing something complex.

You mean like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIahlvUu8Nw#t=3m46s ? I know it's not 8 bars but what he is playing is certainly non trivial, it's not incredibly difficult per se, but it's not some fermata-ed chord. If anything I think the longer the cresc or decresc the easier it would be to implement a volume change with a knob. I also said I like having one pre delay but post dirt, and you can certainly control dynamics with a volume pedal in this context. The amount of times you would NEED a pre dirt floor volume control is very minimal, at best. The only time it would be needed is to clean up or increase the amount of dirt, and since it's floor control you require that the lines be non-trivial. I guess it really boils down to a matter of taste. I know that the players I often play with here in LA don't run theirs pre dirt, I know Steve Vai doesn't either, neither does Brent Mason and Steve Lukather. Paul Gilbert says that his favorite effect is a volume knob that is easy to turn and he doesn't run ANY volume pedals, neither does Eric Johnson or Andy Timmons. Not to mention at the end of the day, you can just pick softer, too. Again, I say it is a matter of taste, but I have never come across a musical situation when I've needed dirt level control via foot. Maybe if one day I do, I'll run another volume pre dirt, but I don't see that day coming, and I've never seen any of the professional people I play with need one either.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Oh yeah, well, [namedrop] does use one, so I'm right.

("I guess it really boils down to a matter of taste" is the right answer, and depending on what you're playing and how you use volume you won't be able to do it as easily with your hand unless you have three hands.)

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
Okay well your arguments for why it shouldn't be useful are all hypothetical. I am telling you that I have one and that it works for me, allows me to do things I cannot without it. Maybe you wouldn't get any use out of it. There's no reason you should switch if you like your setup. I am not trying to convince anyone to use the setup I use, lots of people who find it useful already do so and even more people who do not find it useful do not.

And yes what he is playing in the video is trivial, in the context of doing two things at once with your right hand. His right hand does not need to do anything remotely complex to play what he's playing so he can give up one finger to make the volume change without it being a big deal. And if you think making a long gradual adjustment while you're playing is somehow easier than making a quick change well I don't think you've made any long gradual adjustments while playing. A quick change like that does not need to happen smoothly, in fact in that video he changes dynamic quite abruptly but it works fine because it happens in a VERY short period of time. If you want to crescendo over a noticable length of time in a musical fashion you need to do it at a steady rate.

I'm glad you've heard of lots of famous people that don't want what many of us want. Personally I don't base my decisions on making sure I'm using the same techniques as famous or popular people.

Col.Kiwi fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jul 17, 2009

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Col.Kiwi posted:

Okay well your arguments for why it shouldn't be useful are all hypothetical. I am telling you that I have one and that it works for me, allows me to do things I cannot without it. Maybe you wouldn't get any use out of it. There's no reason you should switch if you like your setup.

Bang, exactly. I'll never understand why people get so up in arms about something so trivial as whether to put a Tremolo before a Reverb and stuff like that. Not to say that there isn't a difference, but it's not like pedals have insta-latch irreversible locking jacks or anything. You try it one way for five minutes, then you try it the other way... It's just amazing how people who are attempting to make music, a creative expression of ideas, are in such a hurry to lock themselves and others into unnecessary rules.

Nelsocracy
Nov 25, 2004
Indubitably!
Hey guys, I'm looking at purchasing a volume pedal for guitar. Basically I just want to be able to change my volume so that I can comp at lower volumes and increase my volume and improvise. The number one concern for me is that this pedal will affect the sound as little as possible. Right now I only keep one pedal in my chain (a loop pedal) and I play clean so I really don't want a lot of tone sapped out of my playing. Other features that would be nice but not required would be: the ability to go from zero volume to full, durability, minimum volume setting, and a smooth sweep in the pedal. What pedal would you guys say would be the absolute best for me? I'm willing to pay up to about $250. Seems like my main options are Ernie Ball, Goodrich, and Boss but I've heard conflicting opinions about each of these so I'm unsure in what would be best.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

Nelsocracy posted:

Hey guys, I'm looking at purchasing a volume pedal for guitar. Basically I just want to be able to change my volume so that I can comp at lower volumes and increase my volume and improvise. The number one concern for me is that this pedal will affect the sound as little as possible. Right now I only keep one pedal in my chain (a loop pedal) and I play clean so I really don't want a lot of tone sapped out of my playing. Other features that would be nice but not required would be: the ability to go from zero volume to full, durability, minimum volume setting, and a smooth sweep in the pedal. What pedal would you guys say would be the absolute best for me? I'm willing to pay up to about $250. Seems like my main options are Ernie Ball, Goodrich, and Boss but I've heard conflicting opinions about each of these so I'm unsure in what would be best.
I've heard a lot of good things about the Visual Sound one, and they make generally good products.

Nelsocracy
Nov 25, 2004
Indubitably!
Looks alright, but from reviews it seems most people like the other pedals I mentioned much better.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
I have to vouch for the Ernie Ball models myself. I have a Jr which I love to pieces and my friend/band bassist has a full-size one. The mechanical action of both is smooth as hell, practical difference is really just the size of the pedal. The zero volume position completely silences the instrument, I use it as a mute to unplug my guitar and switch to a different one with my amp still turned on and no popping. There's a nice even sweep up to full volume which is easy to control due to the very smooth pedal mechanism. Tough die-cast enclosure, seems like it'd be hard to do any damage to the things. I really can't reccomend them enough, probably the best $120 I've spent on a pedal.

edit: The guy below me reminded me, that even if it somehow winds up totally shot, you can send it to them and they'll rebuild it with all new electronic and mechanical parts in the same enclosure for $55. (http://www.ernieball.com/faq/7-Ernie-Ball-Volume-Pedals-FAQ#83)

Col.Kiwi fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jul 28, 2009

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

Nelsocracy posted:

Im on board with Kiwi on this, I use an EB JR. I got it for 40 dollars used (the only way to buy gear...). If you do go the used route with an EBJR, you need to check and make sure that the volume pot isnt scratchy, and you might also check the condition of the string that is used to connect the pedal to the pot. Other than that, they tend to hold up really well. Mine started making noises on me (scratchy), so I sprayed DEOX-IT into the POT, and voila, its as good as new!

I have also heard alot of love for the goodrich pedals amongst TGP gear snobs and the like, but I am not sure about what the difference is.
Good luck finding one!

royalejest
Oct 31, 2006

Clapton is God.

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

(the only way to buy gear...)

This may be not for this thread, but what are good avenues to buying used in rural areas where Craiglist is basically useless? eBay seems to be trending towards Buy-It-Nows at near-retail price, while the local shops in my area's used selection is pretty sparse.

Looking at the two or three pedals I want running me almost $600 is kind of depressing, since I don't know where to head for used crap really.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

royalejest posted:

This may be not for this thread, but what are good avenues to buying used in rural areas where Craiglist is basically useless? eBay seems to be trending towards Buy-It-Nows at near-retail price, while the local shops in my area's used selection is pretty sparse.

Looking at the two or three pedals I want running me almost $600 is kind of depressing, since I don't know where to head for used crap really.

You can check out thegearpage.net, they have a used emporium where you can get good prices on gear. Also, there is a gear trade thread here somewhere in ML.

Honestly, this is the only place I frequent to look for things. I happen to be in the DC metro area, so there are a few good local used shops to visit as well.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

El Miguel
Oct 30, 2003
This isn't quite what this thread is about, but it certainly doesn't merit a thread of its own.

I've got a Vox AD100VT combo. The VFS2 footswitch switches between two user programmable channels, and turns the onboard effects on and off on those channels. The problem is that the cable on it is only about 6 feet long, and can't be replaced easily. I've been told that the Marshall PEDL 10013, which has a longer cable, will work with my amp. The catch? I cannot find it in the United States! The Marshall PED802 footswitch appears to be the same thing, and is available everywhere. Does anyone know if this would work?

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

El Miguel posted:

This isn't quite what this thread is about, but it certainly doesn't merit a thread of its own.

I've got a Vox AD100VT combo. The VFS2 footswitch switches between two user programmable channels, and turns the onboard effects on and off on those channels. The problem is that the cable on it is only about 6 feet long, and can't be replaced easily. I've been told that the Marshall PEDL 10013, which has a longer cable, will work with my amp. The catch? I cannot find it in the United States! The Marshall PED802 footswitch appears to be the same thing, and is available everywhere. Does anyone know if this would work?

I imagine if you found a local shop with one in stock and asked them if you could try it out on your amp that they wouldn't mind, but I obviously can't say that with any certainty. Good luck.

El Miguel
Oct 30, 2003
Yeah, I'm sure they would. I was hoping for an a priori answer because the amp is currently in a rehearsal room 45 minutes away, and we won't be practicing again for another week and a half. I'll have to pick one up on the way and settle for the a posteriori.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.
Bumping this thread with a question.

If I were to make a 1V/V line buffer for my pedal chain, where would you guys think of putting it in the signal chain? in the middle, at the end, at the beginning? Ive got alot of TB pedals, and Im starting to wonder if Im losing some signal by not having any buffered pedals (ie notice a pretty clear difference in sound when I bypass my whole board versus when I am plugged in)

Fade to White
Nov 2, 2007
Buffers usually go in the front of the chain, if I recall correctly.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007

Fade to White posted:

Buffers usually go in the front of the chain, if I recall correctly.

Or at the end of the chain; or sometimes even in between...
You wouldn't generally put a buffer on the input of a Fuzzface for instance, but you would tend to put one on the output of an un-buffered wah pedal (e.g.. every stock Crybaby/Vox wah), so that it plays nicely with things further down the chain.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
Do you guys have any opinions about the Boss CS3? I need a good compressor/sustainer and a Canadian online store is having a no tax + free shipping sale tomorrow. I really wanted a Pigtronix Philosopher's Tone but it would be at least twice as much money.

Side note: would it work well with a bass too?

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Boss CS-3 is a compressor that I actively dislike. It has a high noise floor and does not, in my opinion, have a pleasant range of compression. It can supposedly be improved with modifications but I would instead recommend getting a better compressor to begin with.

Pedalgeek ships internationally and they have the Barber Tone Press, which is my favorite compressor ever.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

Agreed posted:

Boss CS-3 is a compressor that I actively dislike. It has a high noise floor and does not, in my opinion, have a pleasant range of compression. It can supposedly be improved with modifications but I would instead recommend getting a better compressor to begin with.

Pedalgeek ships internationally and they have the Barber Tone Press, which is my favorite compressor ever.

That's a shame. The Barber is really drat expensive, too.

I really wanted to expand my pedal board with sub-$100 stuff tomorrow.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

Agreed posted:

:words:
Since this thread is temporarily a compressorchat area, I was wondering what the general consensus on the EHX Black Finger is.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

That's a shame. The Barber is really drat expensive, too.

I really wanted to expand my pedal board with sub-$100 stuff tomorrow.

See if they have a DOD Milk Box. It's a great cheap compressor. Much better than the CS-3 for like half the price (not certain on the exact price, actually, but I know it's inexpensive).

GS, I never got a chance to try the Black Finger. I've heard that A) it sounds nice, very warm, soft-knee compression and B) noisy as hell.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
Anybody looking for a comp oughta try the script reissue Dyna Comp. I think it's just dandy

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

Anybody looking for a comp oughta try the script reissue Dyna Comp. I think it's just dandy

Does seem to have a nice sound, but at $160-$180 depending on where you buy it it's priced higher than the Tone Press and for the money I think we can expect more technologically advanced compression than that - unless, of course, you're after the specific Dyna-comp sound, in which case it's as good an example as you'll find and does sound nicer than the standard Dyna-comp that you can get for not half the money. But the price gets you into pedal opto-comps that are pretty damned high quality, and passes the Tone Press along the way - I probably sound like a broken record, but

Format is "play something with the Tone Press off, then play something similar with the Tone Press on." I think I goof at one point but it's not hard to hear since everything sounds better with the Tone Press on. The latter part of the clip is letting notes and then chords sustain without the TP, then with the TP.

This clip usually convinces people that I am not bullshitting and the Tone Press really is just the cat's pajamas.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Sep 19, 2009

royalejest
Oct 31, 2006

Clapton is God.
Seconding the Tone Press. I run a Les Paul into a Fender amp, and it makes it sound like I'm playing a Strat at the settings I've got it at, not like I'm playing from underwater through a sheet of plexiglass. You can pick them up for around ~$125 used, maybe less if you can wait for a deal.

Bobby_Wokkerfella
Apr 16, 2007

i am a black female myself and i am not good of can't sporting another black person who doesn't look black,like other brothas and sistas
Looking for a cheap bass guitar Multi Effects (under $250AUD) for some synth work and or just dicking around with sounds. Basically I can see the Behringer BASS V-AMP, Digitech BP50, Zoom B2. Any of them particularly good/junk or should I hold out longer and get a Roland ME20b or something.

dissin department
Apr 7, 2007

"I has music dysleskia."

Bobby_Wokkerfella posted:

Looking for a cheap bass guitar Multi Effects (under $250AUD) for some synth work and or just dicking around with sounds. Basically I can see the Behringer BASS V-AMP, Digitech BP50, Zoom B2. Any of them particularly good/junk or should I hold out longer and get a Roland ME20b or something.

I own the BP50. It's alright, I suppose, but none of the effects are really top-notch. They're just..usable.

Bobby_Wokkerfella
Apr 16, 2007

i am a black female myself and i am not good of can't sporting another black person who doesn't look black,like other brothas and sistas
Well, found out I could buy EHX pedals from the states at a third of what we pay for them here, so I now have a Bass Big Muff in the mail.

lechunnel
Jun 16, 2007

Is that Ivana Trump?

Well, found out I could buy EHX pedals from the states at a third of what we pay for them here, so I now have a Bass Big Muff in the mail.

Don't they ship with US-style power adapters, which may need a transformer?

I made the mistake of buying a Jam Man loop pedal via the US eBay a little while ago. To use it I need a chunky transformer; none of the local electronics shops stock Australian-style AC adapters with anything resembling the correct voltage/amperage of the Jam Man.

Bobby_Wokkerfella
Apr 16, 2007

lechunnel posted:

Don't they ship with US-style power adapters, which may need a transformer?

I made the mistake of buying a Jam Man loop pedal via the US eBay a little while ago. To use it I need a chunky transformer; none of the local electronics shops stock Australian-style AC adapters with anything resembling the correct voltage/amperage of the Jam Man.

Well, it can apparently run off a 9v battery, so should be alright, if not, I'll get something to work

lechunnel
Jun 16, 2007

Is that Ivana Trump?

Well, it can apparently run off a 9v battery, so should be alright, if not, I'll get something to work

If that's the case then it might work using the Boss style adapters that 90% of pedals use. I thought EHX pedals tended to have wacky 13.75V AC adapters that you couldn't replicate with something else, but I guess I was wrong. In fact my Holy Grail uses the Boss style adapter so I should've known better!

What US site did you order from? I'm pretty keen to get some myself if they're that cheap vs. local stores.

Bobby_Wokkerfella
Apr 16, 2007

lechunnel posted:

If that's the case then it might work using the Boss style adapters that 90% of pedals use. I thought EHX pedals tended to have wacky 13.75V AC adapters that you couldn't replicate with something else, but I guess I was wrong. In fact my Holy Grail uses the Boss style adapter so I should've known better!

What US site did you order from? I'm pretty keen to get some myself if they're that cheap vs. local stores.

I got it from a USA Ebay store, hadve them for around $70USD (Payed $90 Australian + $20 shipping) so $110 versus the $270 or so my local music store wanted for one.

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful

lechunnel posted:

Well, I don't know if it works the same for you but my Small Stone uses a 9v battery but will not work with my Boss adaptors.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
Old EHX pedals use thinner jacks, the same as the RAT series. New ones use BOSS-style jacks. You can buy adapters on eBay for next to nothing, but I'm fairly sure the Bass Muff uses a standard Boss 9v jack.

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful

the wizards beard posted:

Old EHX pedals use thinner jacks, the same as the RAT series. New ones use BOSS-style jacks. You can buy adapters on eBay for next to nothing, but I'm fairly sure the Bass Muff uses a standard Boss 9v jack.

What are the exact terms of these thinner jacks? I don't want to screw up and order the wrong one.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
The old EHX and RAT pedals use jacks that look like mono 1/8" audio jacks, the power supplies look like this

Boss-style jacks have been more or less adopted as a standard nowadays, PSUs look like this

Something like this will do the job if you want a converter
http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Visual-Sound-18-1-SPOT-Converter?sku=151690

the wizards beard fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Sep 23, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful
Alright, thanks!