Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

I hope Wings of Desire isn't worth upgrading from the MGM DVD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

#490 - Wings of Desire

•New, restored high-definition digital transfer, supervised and approved by director Wim Wenders (with DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition)
•Audio commentary featuring Wenders and actor Peter Falk
•The Angels Among Us (2003), a documentary featuring interviews with Wenders, Falk, actors Bruno Ganz and Otto Sander, writer Peter Handke, and composer Jürgen Knieper
•Excerpt from “Wim Wenders Berlin Jan. 87,” an episode of the French television program Cinéma cinémas, including on-set footage
•Interview with director of photography Henri Alekan
•Deleted scenes and outtakes
•Excerpts from the films Alekan la lumière (1985) and Remembrance: Film for Curt Bois (about the actor who plays Homer in Wings of Desire)
•Notes and photos by production designer Heidi Lüdi and art director Toni Lüdi
•Trailers
•New and improved English subtitle translation
•PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic Michael Atkinson and writings by Wenders and Handke

I run hot & cold on this film. I absolutely adored it the first time, was a little less impressed the second. Will probably buy it anyway though. Looks like it's got everything for the previous DVD and more.

FitFortDanga fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jul 17, 2009

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

#488 - Howard's End

•High-definition digital transfer, supervised by cinematographer Tony Pierce-Roberts (with uncompressed Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition)
•New appreciation of the late Ismail Merchant by director James Ivory
•Building “Howards End,” a documentary featuring interviews with Ivory, Merchant, Helena Bonham Carter, costume designer Jenny Beavan, and Academy Award–winning production designer Luciana Arrighi
•The Design of “Howards End,” a detailed look at the costume and production designs for the film, including original sketches
•The Wandering Company (1984), a 50-minute documentary about the history of Merchant Ivory Productions
•Original 1992 behind-the-scenes featurette
•Original theatrical trailer
•PLUS: An essay by critic Kenneth Turan

Seems to be everything from their DVD with nothing new. I've only seen two Merchant/Ivory films: Slaves of New York, which is pretty awful, and The Remains of the Day, which I quite liked. Rental for me.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

I love Wings of Desire so much but that's really not worth an upgrade. I'm still not sure why they decided to do that one and not something that hasn't been properly released like Room 666 or Lightning over Water

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

#491 - Z

•New, restored high-definition digital transfer, approved by cinematographer Raoul Coutard
•Audio commentary featuring film historian Peter Cowie
•New interviews with Costa-Gavras and Coutard
•Archival interviews with Costa-Gavras; producer-actor Jacques Perrin; actors Yves Montand, Irène Papas, and Jean-Louis Trintignant; and Vassilis Vassilikos, author of the book Z
•Theatrical trailer
•New and improved English subtitle translation
•PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic Armond White

Good movie, but I'm not feeling a desire to see it again, or even check out the extras. Pass.

NOTE: essay by Armond White haha

FitFortDanga fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jul 17, 2009

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Eclipse Series 18: Dusan Makavejev - Free Radical

I loving hate Makavejev, but I might end up renting this one day just out of curiosity.

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Yeah, this is just right. Has a nice feel, too.

FitFortDanga posted:

Eclipse Series 18: Dusan Makavejev - Free Radical

I loving hate Makavejev, but I might end up renting this one day just out of curiosity.

I have no clue who this guy is, why do you hate him? Outside of Z, this is the only thing that seems mildly interesting, mostly because it's a new Eclipse.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Jack Does Jihad posted:

I have no clue who this guy is, why do you hate him? Outside of Z, this is the only thing that seems mildly interesting, mostly because it's a new Eclipse.

He's a snotty, sophomoric button-pusher who tries to be a "bad boy". Like John Waters without the humor, mixed with Godard without a decent cinematographer.

EDIT: I will agree, however, that it's the most interesting release this month. Everything else is a rehash of previously released films.

FitFortDanga fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jul 17, 2009

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

The Lucas posted:

For you guys who didn't order from B&N. If you're using a Visa card to pay for it, you can use this link link to get free shipping automatically and 5% off.

Whether you're a visa man or not, the coupon codes K3W4T3D or R9C9M3U can be used for 10% off one item. 15% off if you're a member and use H7K9W4P.

The 10% and 5% Visa thing can work together I found. So this covers the tax, shipping, and a couple cents extra.
Does the free shipping apply to Canadian orders? Must know... too many sales... bank account emptying...
edit: it doesn't! drat you all!

Cacator fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jul 17, 2009

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Looking at .org's forthcoming list, the only confirmations left for the year are one Paramount/von Sternberg silent (most likely The Last Command), whatever film hinted in the newsletter (most likely Stagecoach), Senso, and Shanghai Express.

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

WTH with that Z release. The DVD I got from Netflix even had a commentary from Gavras.

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006
Some good releases, Wings of Desire on Blu will be awesome. I still can't believe that Howard's End won the goddamn amazon poll though, still it's coming out much faster than I would have figured.

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

Merry Christmas Scary Wormhole!
Man, that Z DVD looks kinda sucky but holy hell if I'm not in love with the cover art.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

SneakySneaks posted:

I still can't believe that Howard's End won the goddamn amazon poll though, still it's coming out much faster than I would have figured.

Which makes you wonder if they have all the other selections ready to roll out too.

My B&N order just arrived, that was mighty quick.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What is this Amazon poll? Is there some way to vote on which movies Criterion transfers to Blu-Ray? I want Kwaidan and The Vanishing and Hearts and Minds :(

edit: Solaris :(:(

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006

doctor thodt posted:

What is this Amazon poll? Is there some way to vote on which movies Criterion transfers to Blu-Ray? I want Kwaidan and The Vanishing and Hearts and Minds :(

edit: Solaris :(:(

A few months ago the had a poll for what Amazon users wanted for the next big criterion blu-ray. Most of us here (and other blu-ray forums) wanted Kwaiden but alas the public wanted some boring Merchant-Ivory film instead (goddamn I hate Ivory films, Henry James doesn't transfer well aside from The Turn of the Screw).

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
God drat. Did Kwaidan at least come in second? Maybe it's tentatively in the works :sigh:

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006

doctor thodt posted:

God drat. Did Kwaidan at least come in second? Maybe it's tentatively in the works :sigh:

They never told us they official vote tally (which is might suspicious given the Ivory reputation). I can only hope they have the uncut version of Kwaidan in the works, that would be a day one purchase for me.

EDIT:\/\/\/

PAHR was my second choice, that film would be great on blu-ray as well.

SneakySneaks fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jul 17, 2009

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I voted for Picnic at Hanging Rock, though Kwaidan would've been my second choice out of the selections given. I don't think they said what came in 2nd.

Anyway, it's a given that these are all coming (the other choices were Down By Law and something French... maybe Au Revoir Les Enfants). The contest was just to decide which would be released first.

It's no surprise that Howard's End won. To your average Amazon visitor, the only recognizable name on the list was Anthony Hopkins.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~
I ended up buying $250 in DVDs (and one Blu-ray) from the Barnes and Noble sale, and it's really really hard not going back and picking up more. Picking Scenes From a Marriage against Life and Death of Colonel Blimp was murder.

And I'm thrilled for Wings of Desire on Blu-Ray, and I'll probably get the Dusan Makavejev Eclipse set, though I own five of the bloody things now and haven't watched more than a few off each set. Bah.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Sheldrake posted:

I ended up buying $250 in DVDs (and one Blu-ray) from the Barnes and Noble sale, and it's really really hard not going back and picking up more. Picking Scenes From a Marriage against Life and Death of Colonel Blimp was murder.

And I'm thrilled for Wings of Desire on Blu-Ray, and I'll probably get the Dusan Makavejev Eclipse set, though I own five of the bloody things now and haven't watched more than a few off each set. Bah.

I know how you feel. I stopped by Barnes & Noble again today to buy a book and, again, I had to stay my hand. It's so drat tempting. :(

Still, $250? Wowzers.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Macrame_God posted:

Still, $250? Wowzers.

A lot of birthday money, a lot of a lack of financial obligations. And I wanted to get every drat Criterion off my wishlist, and that took care of everything except Miss Julie, which was excluded for some reason.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

I'm really happy Z is being released, but annoyed that it's at the higher price point and missing the Costa Gravas commentary, though the interviews may make up for that.

Sheldrake posted:

A lot of birthday money, a lot of a lack of financial obligations. And I wanted to get every drat Criterion off my wishlist, and that took care of everything except Miss Julie, which was excluded for some reason.

If you want Miss Julie it's $19.69 at deepdiscount and you can add the 25% off code to that. I still haven't bought anything on the Barnes and Noble sale but I don't know how long I can resist.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
Do I take this opportunity to buy Salo? I don't feel like paying full price for what would be a blind buy... which may turn me blind

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I think Salo is a really excellent film, but I'd be wary of blind-buying it. However, if you don't like it you could sell it as Used/Like New on Amazon for a profit, so I'd say yes, take this opportunity to buy Salo.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

If you want Miss Julie it's $19.69 at deepdiscount and you can add the 25% off code to that. I still haven't bought anything on the Barnes and Noble sale but I don't know how long I can resist.

You are a beautiful, beautiful man.

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006

LaptopGun posted:

Do I take this opportunity to buy Salo? I don't feel like paying full price for what would be a blind buy... which may turn me blind

Salo isn't really a film I'd recommend for everybody, it's a film a think is deserved to be seen I know that much. It ranks up there with Cannibal Holocaust (a film I don't like at all) in terms of depravity but like CH it is worth seeing. It's a film I don't classify as good or bad (if I did it would lean towards bad) I just classify it as hosed. I just don't know if you'd want to spend 20 bucks on it when you can get real classics like Lady Vanishes instead.

SneakySneaks fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jul 17, 2009

El Graplurado
Mar 24, 2004
I do backflips when you're not looking.
Dear god. My weird assortment, catch-up, hard to limit haul came to be the I Am Curious double, Ingmar Bergman's Faith Trilogy, Aki Kaurismdki's Proletariat Trilogy, Solaris, Il Posto, Metropolitan, Ratcatcher, The Diary of a Country Priest, By Brakhage: An Anthology, I Know Where I'm Going!, Ugetsu Monogatari, and Ali: Fear Eats Soul. Now its off to deepdiscount for the non-Criterion things.
These sales always happen around tax return season and i'm not sure whether that's a good or bad thing.

juan the owl
Oct 26, 2007

THERE'S A MONSTER AT THE END OF THIS POST!!

El Graplurado posted:

Dear god. My weird assortment, catch-up, hard to limit haul came to be the I Am Curious double, Ingmar Bergman's Faith Trilogy, Aki Kaurismdki's Proletariat Trilogy, Solaris, Il Posto, Metropolitan, Ratcatcher, The Diary of a Country Priest, By Brakhage: An Anthology, I Know Where I'm Going!, Ugetsu Monogatari, and Ali: Fear Eats Soul. Now its off to deepdiscount for the non-Criterion things.
These sales always happen around tax return season and i'm not sure whether that's a good or bad thing.

That's a pretty good list.

I've been trying to resist this sale, but I really want The Exterminating Angel. And does anyone have any strong feelings about the Breathless release? It's probably my least favorite Godard, but if the extras are interesting I might pick it up.

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

I am broookkkeee but I had to pick up Seven Samurai and Bottle Rocket.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Just from skimming, The 400 Blows and The Man Who Fell to Earth look amazing on BluRay. Almost like new films.

The Essential Art House editions of Grand Illusion and Beauty and the Beast seem to be identical in transfer to the full-on editions. Digital cleanup, "Bete" has the original opening credits, and no windowboxing.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

The Lucas posted:

I am broookkkeee but I had to pick up Seven Samurai and Bottle Rocket.

You're never too broke to buy Seven Samurai. :colbert:

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
I'm happy they're putting out Makavajev on Eclipse because finding Eastern European films from the Communist-era is not very easy. Here's hoping they expand on this and release more of this type instead of lesser-known films from big directors.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

El Graplurado posted:

The Diary of a Country Priest, Ali: Fear Eats Soul.

I like the cut of your jib.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

El Graplurado posted:

Ingmar Bergman's Faith Trilogy, Aki Kaurismdki's Proletariat Trilogy, Il Posto, By Brakhage: An Anthology, I Know Where I'm Going!, Ugetsu Monogatari

I like the cut of your jib.

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

I like how amazon is matching all the half off blu-ray prices from B&N.

EDIT: Well for the majority of them.

Raspberry Bang fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jul 18, 2009

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Just came home with The Hit, Dazed and Confused and the Blu-Ray of The Seventh Seal.

:c00l:

Mr. Fun
Sep 22, 2006

ABSOLUTE KINOGRAPHY
I promised myself I wouldn't buy anything this month but I've got F for Fake, Fanny & Alexander and Exterminating Angel in my cart and I'm staring at them not quite sure what to do.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
At least get Fanny And Alexander, it's worth every penny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006

Mr. Fun posted:

I promised myself I wouldn't buy anything this month but I've got F for Fake, Fanny & Alexander and Exterminating Angel in my cart and I'm staring at them not quite sure what to do.

Well the sale goes until Aug. 3rd. You technically don't have to by anything this month.