Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!
"BECAUSE YOU WANTED IT..." This thread is to discuss metalcore, deathcore and other "core" bands that don't really fit anywhere else and that may or may not get you thrown out of the regular metal thread. I'll edit this OP later to be more expansive or whatever, but right now I'll start off some discussion by throwing out a few excellent tapes that have come out recently.

Architects - Hollow Crown
Probably the best metalcore album of 2009 so far for me. It's a big step up in heaviness from the last one, while still retaining the complexity and melody. The vocals are now a hoarse yell rather than the gruff bellow from before, but it suits the music. Occasional "emo" vocals but they are actually sung quite well and fit with the music. Try such songs as "Early Grave", "Dead March" and "Borrowed Time" for best results.

Killswitch Engage - Self titled
Some people are probably not going to care much for this one as it has some slower choruses, but it's a bit heavier in terms of production and also generally more intense than As Daylight Dies if you ask me. As with that one, it takes a few listens to grow on you but there are some really excellent songs on here, like "Reckoning", "Never Again" and "This Is Goodbye".

All Shall Perish - Awaken the Dreamers
Came out last year, my number 1 pick of 2008. I don't know if anyone else loved it as much as I did but this is one of the most complete albums around that can fit under the "deathcore" tag. If nothing else, ASP is probably the most universally well-respected deathcore band around and you should be trying them at all costs. Featuring such songs as "When Life Meant More", "Black Gold Reign" and "Gagged, Bound, Shelved & Forgotten".

The Acacia Strain - Continent
Another great one from 2008 from another of the most influential bands for this kind of music. Acacia Strain is commonly referred to as "deathcore" but they really have no death metal metal elements. Either way, they were another of the originals and still the best at their particular oft-imitated style, and this album is probably their best achievement to date. If nothing else, it's the most well-rounded and has the most variety. It even has a fully fleshed-out and awesome instrumental, "The Behemoth". Try such selections as "Dr. Doom" and "Cthulhu" for best results.

Okay, so what you guys got?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!
Oh hey, Molotov Solution is also a really fantastic band that puts most "Whitechapel-wannabes" to extreme shame. Not only that but they have straight up clever lyrics as well.

deltawing
Sep 20, 2007

feels good man
Darkest Hour - Undoing Ruin is the metalcore magnum opus, if you ask me. Produced by Devin Townsend, to top it all off!

MalConstant
Mar 16, 2008
I just listened to the new Culling The Weak - Self-titled. I've never even heard of these guys, but man their poo poo slays. It's over an hour long too and it's a very solid record. There's so many good riffs and the solos are actually pretty kickass on some of the songs. For a deathcore album, I'm impressed.

Check the myspace and listen to Lead Me Not Into Damnation and Weight Of The World.

I thought the new Killswitch Album was really generic. While there were some good songs, there were also some terrible songs, like the single Starting Over. Howard sounds better than ever though, but man do his lyrics suck rear end on this one. They seem to be not progressing at all and by doing so their music is becoming worse. I'm a huge fan of these guys too, I joined the Fan Club to meet them. Cool dudes btw.

deltawing posted:

Darkest Hour - Undoing Ruin is the metalcore magnum opus, if you ask me. Produced by Devin Townsend, to top it all off!

This is my favorite album of the year so far. But I'm a bit biased since I love this band to death. The Tides has one of the coolest loving solos I've ever heard.

Also, has anyone heard the new August Burns Red album? Talk about a band realizing it's potential! They knocked it out of the park with this album. They upped their songwriting and their songs are more varied than their previous release.

MalConstant fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jul 15, 2009

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!
Has anyone heard of Rafflesia? Aversionline posted two songs by them awhile back, and they rule really loving hard. Does anyone have the album that can comment on how it is overall?

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

MalConstant posted:

I thought the new Killswitch Album was really generic. While there were some good songs, there were also some terrible songs, like the single Starting Over. Howard sounds better than ever though, but man do his lyrics suck rear end on this one. They seem to be not progressing at all and by doing so their music is becoming worse. I'm a huge fan of these guys too, I joined the Fan Club to meet them. Cool dudes btw.

"Starting Over" is one of my favorite songs on there, really. It reminds me of the classic "Rose of Sharyn". I kinda figured that some fans would dislike it and others would love it, though. Both with good reason, really.

quote:

This is my favorite album of the year so far. But I'm a bit biased since I love this band to death. The Tides has one of the coolest loving solos I've ever heard.

Undoing Ruin actually came out in 2005, The Eternal Return is the new one. :c00lbert: I agree with you about "The Tides" though, the solo in that one rivals "Doomsayer" from the last one which is my favorite solo of all time :byodood:

quote:

Also, has anyone heard the new August Burns Red album? Talk about a band realizing it's potential! They knocked it out of the park with this album. They upped their songwriting and their songs are more varied than their previous release.
I HAVE! I couldn't agree more, it's leaps and bounds past the last one which was itself way better than their first. I wasn't really looking forward to it all that much compared to some other stuff this year, but it blew me away. YOUR MOUTH IS LIKE A GRENADE

MalConstant
Mar 16, 2008

krustster posted:

Undoing Ruin actually came out in 2005, The Eternal Return is the new one. :c00lbert: I agree with you about "The Tides" though, the solo in that one rivals "Doomsayer" from the last one which is my favorite solo of all time :byodood:

Ha, I knew that! :haw: Doomsayer has an amazing solo as well, it's so catchy. The Tides has a "Kris Norris" feel to it, even though he didn't write it. That's probably why I like it so much.

quote:

YOUR MOUTH IS LIKE A GRENADE

That song is great, poo poo..every song is fantastic, but my favorite song is probably Indonesia. The clean sung part with Tommy Rogers is awesome.

There were quite a few good releases this month.

The Crimson Armada - Guardians - This is their debut album on metal blade. Again, another solid deathcore release..It's fast as poo poo and the riffs are insanely catchy. The vocalist is some arab dude, but he kills. He kinda sounds like Trevor from TBDM. Go listen!

Arsonists Get All The Girls - Portals - I was never really a huge fan of these guys, but this is one experimental, heavy-as-gently caress album. Check out the song My Cup Half's Empty to get an idea. I love the ending. EDIT: One thing i didn't like about this album was the hidden track. What a stupid idea that was.

MalConstant fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jul 15, 2009

Ramseyk
May 30, 2005
hi
Been waiting for a thread like this.

krustster posted:

Architects - Hollow Crown
Probably the best metalcore album of 2009 so far for me. It's a big step up in heaviness from the last one, while still retaining the complexity and melody. The vocals are now a hoarse yell rather than the gruff bellow from before, but it suits the music. Occasional "emo" vocals but they are actually sung quite well and fit with the music. Try such songs as "Early Grave", "Dead March" and "Borrowed Time" for best results.
I completely agree

We're All Alone is such a heavy song I can't help but bob my head everytime it comes on.

One of my favorite bands that rarely get mentioned on this forum is Periphery. I've been waiting for them to release their debut album for a couple of years new, I've been following the guitarists solo work for a number of years (and his work with Periphery and I love all their stuff. Not exactly metalcore or conventional metal really but I figured they should have a mention in this thread.

Also does anyone like Threat Signal? I excited for their new album. "Beyond Recognition" is pretty cool but I was disapointed with the other single they posted recently.

Ramseyk fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Aug 17, 2021

rgrdgr Karnage
Feb 2, 2006

What the hell is that on the ceiling?

MalConstant posted:

Arsonists Get All The Girls - Portals - I was never really a huge fan of these guys, but this is one experimental, heavy-as-gently caress album. Check out the song My Cup Half's Empty to get an idea. I love the ending. EDIT: One thing i didn't like about this album was the hidden track. What a stupid idea that was.

Came here to post this. I didn't expect anything special when I got this album, but holy gently caress it exceeded my expectations after one listen. AGATG definitely know how to keep things interesting.

I'm really enjoying Constellations by August Burns Red. I never could get into any of their previous work, but they seem to have stepped up the songwriting on this album. Seconding the awesomeness of Tommy Rogers on Indonesia.

Speaking of Tommy Rogers, Between the Buried and Me are releasing their new album, The Great Misdirect, on October 27th. Who's excited? I know I am.

rgrdgr Karnage fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jul 15, 2009

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Finally, a -core thread :)

These are a bit older, from 2008, but albums i feel everyone should check out nonetheless:

Misery Signals- Controller : Favorite ablum of 08. The vocals are harsh and epic sounding, yet never seem to grate. Great instrumentals, and just the general mood of the album is awesome.

Trivium - Shogun : They stopped trying to be metallica clones (lol crusade). Screaming returns, and its generally their most melodic album to date. The album itself is kinda a mixed bag: about half of the songs are great, while the other half tread between good and boring as gently caress.

All That Remains - Overcome : I'll admit, i hated this album at first. For some reason it just grew on me. Still not as good as The Fall Of Ideals (they'll probably never top that, lets be honest) but still worth a listen.

edit- I listened to the new Arsonists, and i thought the first 3 or 4 tracks were great. Then the rest of the album played :( it just seems to loose all of its edge, and i got bored with it halfway through. The loving thing seemed like it dragged forever, which is a shame because you wouldn't think that from the first couple of songs.

chocolateTHUNDER fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jul 15, 2009

The Bryan
Dec 25, 2005
I got an SA account for christmas!

rgrdgr Karnage posted:

Between the Buried and Me are releasing their new album, The Great Misdirect, on October 27th. Who's excited? I know I am.

Yeah i cant wait for this, its only 6 songs long so they are gunna be long and good.

Also does anyone like The Devil Wears Prada ? I think they have really good mixes of singing screaming and breakdowns. Especially on thier first 2 albums

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Atreyu, and Bullet For My Valentine also have new albums coming out in the fall. Excited for both of those, BFMV's output has been nothing but stellar (only what, two albums, but still) and all you have to do for atreyu is forget that they ever made lead sails :v:

Dr. Glasscock
Apr 15, 2004

HOO-DAH!!! Fatal Wiimote blow to the face, 20 points!

krustster posted:

"Starting Over" is one of my favorite songs on there, really. It reminds me of the classic "Rose of Sharyn".

Seconding the love for this song, goddamn it is great. I don't think I like this album as much as As Daylight Dies but it's still pretty damned good (I've also been listening to that since release, so I have a number of years of bias heh). Going to Mayhem Fest in a month and seeing KSE with All That Remains (who I loving MISSED last time they were in town because the lead singer blew out his voice), can't loving wait for that.

I'm gonna have to follow this thread and get some good recommendations for new bands to check out.

EDIT: ^^^^^^^ And I've never heard of Bullet For My Valentine but they are playing at said concert, pretty good eh?

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
I was just at Mayhem Festival last Saturday and I was pretty blown away by a lot of bands I've never really given a chance.

Whitechapel, Job for a Cowboy and God Forbid pretty much tore the house down before they even opened the main stage area. Trivium was Trivium but closed their set pretty awesomely, and Black Dahlia were killing it while Metal Mulisha were doing back flips and poo poo in the rain. Killswitch was awesome too, and I would do anything to hang out with Adam D on a Saturday night.

But Slayer stole the show from everybody and my friends and I left after 5 Manson songs. That was my first time seeing him, but is he always so boring? Literally nobody was moving on the lawn during his set that we saw. Not even during the Dope Show.

I found Bullet For My Valentine to be really average.

And I took this video of a guy 'enjoying' himself during Slayer. It was the oddest thing I have ever seen at a concert in my life.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKSUG_NXo6s

-Atom- fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jul 16, 2009

Dr. Glasscock
Apr 15, 2004

HOO-DAH!!! Fatal Wiimote blow to the face, 20 points!

-Atom- posted:

I was just at Mayhem Festival last Saturday and I was pretty blown away by a lot of bands I've never really given a chance.

Whitechapel, Job for a Cowboy and God Forbid pretty much tore the house down before they even opened the main stage area. Trivium was Trivium but closed their set pretty awesomely, and Black Dahlia were killing it while Metal Mulisha were doing back flips and poo poo. Killswitch was awesome too, and I would do anything to hang out with Adam D on a Saturday night.

But Slayer stole the show from everybody and my friends and I left after 5 Manson songs. That was my first time seeing him, but is he always that boring?

I found Bullet For My Valentine to be really average.

And I took this video of a guy 'enjoying' himself during Slayer. It was the oddest thing I have ever seen at a concert in my life.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKSUG_NXo6s

Hey thanks for the writeup, makes me even more pumped! I've never heard of Trivium (but my friend with similar musical tastes says they're last album is pretty good), never listened to Manson (and have no idea what to expect from that) or Slayer (everyone seems to agree that they rock).

-Atom- posted:

Killswitch was awesome too, and I would do anything to hang out with Adam D on a Saturday night.

The only think I know about Adam D is the hilarious faces he makes while playing and that he wore a San Andreas tshirt in that (funny as hell) Daylight Dies preview video he made with Howard. Super nerdy but he seems pretty funny / entertaining.

Speaking of that, goddamn why didn't they make another one of those? The Daylight Dies one is absolutely hysterical, I still watch it every now and then.

Dr. Glasscock fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jul 16, 2009

Gorewar
Dec 24, 2004

Bang your head
I'm seconding the praise for Architects. Got to open for them as well as Misery Signals when they came through in May; great show, great show. Awesome merch, too.

Jacquismo
Dec 1, 2003
~~HEY GUYS I'M ON THE RHINOCEROS I MEAN INTERNET~~
I'll take this chance to bring up some bands that no one ever talks about around here...

Would you guys consider Soilwork to be metalcore? I see them getting categorized as melodeath, but their two albums post-Figure don't seem like that to me...

Also, is anyone excited about Spineshank's new album? Their previous stuff was more nu-metal, but it seems like Jonny Santos is pushing them in a similar direction to Silent Civilian. What I've heard sounds great. Has anyone seen them since they've reformed?

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

This thread is full of people with good opinions! We are cool. :cool:

Jacquismo posted:

I'll take this chance to bring up some bands that no one ever talks about around here...

Would you guys consider Soilwork to be metalcore? I see them getting categorized as melodeath, but their two albums post-Figure don't seem like that to me...

Also, is anyone excited about Spineshank's new album? Their previous stuff was more nu-metal, but it seems like Jonny Santos is pushing them in a similar direction to Silent Civilian. What I've heard sounds great. Has anyone seen them since they've reformed?

Soilwork really isn't metalcore at all, but the general opinion of them in the "real" metal thread seems to be rather low. Personally I love every one of their albums except for the last one which was a disappointment. Apparently it was different because Peter Wichers left and he was the main songwriter, or one of them at least. He's back in the band now though, so the next one is sure to be awesome! And if Spineshank turns into Silent Civilian v.2, that'd be pretty good because their first one showed a lot of potential.

The Bryan posted:

Yeah i cant wait for this, its only 6 songs long so they are gunna be long and good.

Also does anyone like The Devil Wears Prada ? I think they have really good mixes of singing screaming and breakdowns. Especially on thier first 2 albums

I never really used to like them, I saw them in concert twice and found them to be pretty bad. But the new one, With Roots Above and Branches Below is awesome. I like that it's less "random" and more melodic. There are some truly excellent parts in it too, like the piano break in "Big Wiggly Style" (drat I hate the stupid-rear end "witty" song titles).

anticake
Nov 5, 2004

Biscuit Hider

Dr. Glasscock posted:

The only think I know about Adam D is the hilarious faces he makes while playing and that he wore a San Andreas tshirt in that (funny as hell) Daylight Dies preview video he made with Howard. Super nerdy but he seems pretty funny / entertaining.

Adam is pretty awesome. He pranced around the stage in shortish shorts and a loving cape.

Jadz
Jan 8, 2004

Stuck in the middle with you.
Picked up the new Killswitch album yesterday. It's good, but I still prefer Daylight Dies. There's just not much of the melodic stuff I've become so fond of (My Curse, Rose of Sharyn, Arms of Sorrow, End of Heartache, etc). Still a good album, and it's going to get plenty of spin-time in my car.

I recently picked up a couple albums by In This Moment - "The Dream" and "Beautiful Tragedy". Good melodic metalcore.

"Beautiful Tragedy" is what I imagine KSE would sound like if Howard were a white chick from L.A. She does a really good mix of growling/melodic vocals, and the guitarist and drummer are easily on par with Adam and Justin.

"The Dream" is far more toned down. Still lots of yelling and hard music, but she doesn't do nearly as much screaming as on Tragedy. I think this album sounds more like something you'd hear from Breaking Benjamin. More touchey-feeley, upbeat type stuff. Still really good though, I'm enjoying both albums very much.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

krustster posted:

I never really used to like them, I saw them in concert twice and found them to be pretty bad. But the new one, With Roots Above and Branches Below is awesome. I like that it's less "random" and more melodic. There are some truly excellent parts in it too, like the piano break in "Big Wiggly Style" (drat I hate the stupid-rear end "witty" song titles).

More importantly, "Danger: Wildman." I KNOW A GHOST :c00l: The new Arsonists Get All The Girls is also quite good, it's a big step up from their prior work.

I'm totally digging the new A Skylit Drive right now. The vocals are very ... unique and the song-writing has a level of restraint that is rarely heard in the genre. I think there's only two or three breakdowns! In the whole CD!

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
Has anybody listened to the new It Dies Today album 'Lividity' with the new vocalist Jason Woods? I checked it out a few weeks ago and was completely disappointed. It just goes to show that in studio Nick kind of made that band with Hatalack, even though a lot of people hated Sirens I enjoyed it for what it was.

The skit in the hidden track is pretty funny though.

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
I will admit I'm usually not too much of a fan of the more girly/emo vocals (hate Alesana and such but In Fear and Faith-style stuff I can handle) but I recently saw I See Stars live with Emarosa and I thought they were going to suck but they sound really cool live.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

x TOMMYBOY x posted:

I will admit I'm usually not too much of a fan of the more girly/emo vocals (hate Alesana and such but In Fear and Faith-style stuff I can handle) but I recently saw I See Stars live with Emarosa and I thought they were going to suck but they sound really cool live.

Yeah, I See Stars kick a lot of rear end, their new record is one of the better releases this year. Anyone into that sound should check out a band called Call It Karma, they remind me a lot of I See Stars.

I also love Alesana, they're everything about the modern "emo/screamo" song all rolled up into one band, which then is all rolled up into one song, "Congratulations, I Hate You."

deadwing fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jul 17, 2009

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Can someone explain to me whats supposed to make God Forbid good?

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Nothing, they aren't

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

They are pretty cool in a live setting.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT
What is HORSE the Band considered? Must be some kind of core (and don't say Nintendocore!). I'm pretty excited for their next album in August (I think), even though A Natural Death was a slight disappointment.

Also thirding the BTBAM excitement!

anticake
Nov 5, 2004

Biscuit Hider

-Atom- posted:

They are pretty cool in a live setting.

I thought it was pretty funny that the vocalist, who already had one guitarist doing clean vocals, decided he should do clean vocals as well except completely fail at getting anything near resembling in tune. That's about all the entertainment I got out of them.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

anticake posted:

I thought it was pretty funny that the vocalist, who already had one guitarist doing clean vocals, decided he should do clean vocals as well except completely fail at getting anything near resembling in tune. That's about all the entertainment I got out of them.

Their album "Determination" owns :mad:

the phisH
Sep 1, 2006
You help me, and in turn, I am helped by you.
Random but I was pretty bummed when Dead to Fall broke up last year. Their last one, Are You Serious? started off with 4-5 really amazing songs even though the rest may not have been that good.

Casual Combustion
Jan 12, 2003

this thread is the first i've heard of BTBAM's new album, and it's coming out the day after my birthday, so that is awesome. i'm also excited for the new dillinger escape plan, which will be coming out probably sometime in 2014. there's a tiny snippet of one of the songs at the end of one of their vlog things. it's at like 4:11.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qa6m8Oy2CBU

Cock Soup
Oct 15, 2006

rgrdgr Karnage posted:

I'm really enjoying Constellations by August Burns Red. I never could get into any of their previous work, but they seem to have stepped up the songwriting on this album. Seconding the awesomeness of Tommy Rogers on Indonesia.

Constellations didn't impress me, it seemed to me as a dumbed down version of Messengers.

If you like their sound, you might like Blind Witness. The vocal is more brutal but it shares the "Breakdown over Melody" construction.

On another note, my two favorite albums of the year in the -Core department up to now are -

Impending Doom - The Serpent Legion
A whole lot of breakdowns, and very brutal. The riffs aren't all that interesting but it does its job as a placebo while I'm waiting for the next Whitechapel album.

House Vs Hurricane - Forfeiture
I might get bashed for liking Trendcore, but this Progressive Post-Hardcore band really impressed me. Their songs all sound very distinct and they have very surprising/interesting elements to them.

MalConstant
Mar 16, 2008

Cock Soup posted:

If you like their sound, you might like Blind Witness. The vocal is more brutal but it shares the "Breakdown over Melody" construction.

Haha, their Backstreet Boys cover is awesome.

TheIneff
Feb 7, 2006

BEEP BOOP BEEEEEP
Is the new Job For a Cowboy album Ruination worth listening to?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
The new Every Time I Die album New Junk Aesthetic is coming September 15th. Their new song "The Marvelous Slut" is on their myspace: http://www.myspace.com/everytimeidie

Their original (I guess) drummer, Mike Novak, recently left the band and a replacement has not yet been announced. Mike stayed around long enough to record the new album, though.

emdash fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jul 17, 2009

Cock Soup
Oct 15, 2006

TheIneff posted:

Is the new Job For a Cowboy album Ruination worth listening to?

Erf, they aren't -Core anymore. They went from being a top Deathcore band to an average Technical Death Metal band. Listened 2-3 of their new songs while the album was on free streaming on myspace. Good stuff but nothing incredible...

MalConstant
Mar 16, 2008

Cock Soup posted:

Erf, they aren't -Core anymore. They went from being a top Deathcore band to an average Technical Death Metal band. Listened 2-3 of their new songs while the album was on free streaming on myspace. Good stuff but nothing incredible...

yeah, it's definitely an improvement from 'Genesis', but nothing mind blowing.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

New KSE is terrible. I don't know why I haven't given up on them yet. The first track had me thinking "woah this is pretty brutal, maybe this album will go back to sounding like Alive or Heartache." Nope, rest of it was garbage. Sigh.

I'll admit, that they absolutely destroy live though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kajeto
Mar 27, 2004
Instrumento De Muerte
I'm not big on metalcore, but I like Despised Icon. The new track on their myspace kicks all amounts of rear end.

http://www.myspace.com/despisedicon