Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet

kajeto posted:

I'm not big on metalcore, but I like Despised Icon. The new track on their myspace kicks all amounts of rear end.

http://www.myspace.com/despisedicon

Song is sick as gently caress and i dont usually like despised icon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rgrdgr Karnage
Feb 2, 2006

What the hell is that on the ceiling?
Despised Icon's first two albums were killer, but I felt like they went a little downhill afterwards. I liked The Ills of Modern Man a lot, just not as much. The new song is pretty good, though.

Blind Witness seems to be pretty awesome. Thanks for the recommendation.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken

TheIneff posted:

Is the new Job For a Cowboy album Ruination worth listening to?

I bought this randomly after not being a fan of JFAC, but heard the new tune and it'd decidedly more DM, so thought I'd try it... meh. It's frantic but nothing memorable at all, it all blends together. I can't recommend.

Major Burns
Jul 25, 2007

NarkyBark posted:

I bought this randomly after not being a fan of JFAC, but heard the new tune and it'd decidedly more DM, so thought I'd try it... meh. It's frantic but nothing memorable at all, it all blends together. I can't recommend.

I liked Genesis despite it being a bit bland but the new album is just really forgettable to me,none of the riffs really stick in your head. I've listened to it 3 or 4 times and still can't remember a single riff from it.

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
I liked JFAC when they were Deathcore :(

The Dirtyness
Sep 13, 2007

MalConstant posted:

Haha, their Backstreet Boys cover is awesome.
This is amazing.

I've been really into the new August Burns Red and Arsonists Get All The Girls lately. They're both pretty solid and I think both bands stepped up their playing a lot in these albums.

Also I'm patiently waiting for a possible new album from As Blood Runs Black. Wikipedia has it listed as 2009 but I'm not too hopeful as I haven't heard anything about it. If you haven't heard their album Allegiance you should check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qB3OgBXt4_U

I don't think I've ever been as excited for an album as I am for BTBAM's new release though. If they put out something better than Colors I think my head will explode.

Cock Soup
Oct 15, 2006

The Dirtyness posted:

Also I'm patiently waiting for a possible new album from As Blood Runs Black. Wikipedia has it listed as 2009 but I'm not too hopeful as I haven't heard anything about it. If you haven't heard their album Allegiance you should check it out.

Erf... that album wasn't all that great. It had some great breakdowns, I admit but the riffing is simply too generic and I felt like I was listening to the same song over and over. They simply never step out of the C Minor Natural scale...

If that's your kind of Deathcore, tough, you might like At The Throne Of Judgment , The Black Dahlia Murder (no breakdowns though, only great riffing) and Here Comes The Kraken .

Think
Sep 20, 2005

The Dirtyness posted:

This is amazing.

I've been really into the new August Burns Red and Arsonists Get All The Girls lately. They're both pretty solid and I think both bands stepped up their playing a lot in these albums.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qB3OgBXt4_U

I don't think I've ever been as excited for an album as I am for BTBAM's new release though. If they put out something better than Colors I think my head will explode.

Last I heard, their new album was recorded with the exception of the vocals. They're doing an audition thing on Myspace to find a new vocalist. I don't know if lyrics are written so I doubt very much it'll be ready for the end of 2009. It's too bad, I really did enjoy Allegiance. It was generic but generic in a very good way.

I'm counting down the days until BTBAM's newest is released. I've listened to Colors god knows how many times and it hasn't gotten old.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
Have you guys listened to the live album of Colors? It's just as good, if not better then the album version. Although it doesn't have the duel vocals part with Adam Fisher from Fear Before (obviously) which was one of the stand outs for the album for me.

Major Burns
Jul 25, 2007

Cock Soup posted:

The Black Dahlia Murder(no breakdowns though, only great riffing)

Wait, how are these guys considered deathcore? They don't have any of the deathcire "traits" (pig squeels,breakdowns etc.)

Cock Soup
Oct 15, 2006

Major Burns posted:

Wait, how are these guys considered deathcore? They don't have any of the deathcire "traits" (pig squeels,breakdowns etc.)

Simply the type of riffing. Technically, it would be "Dark Metal" which is an obscure genre of which At The Gates was the leader. But nowadays, the name has more or less disapeared (go figure :rolleyes:) and people think that the type of riffing typical to Metalcore/Deathcore originated with the genre.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

deltawing posted:

Darkest Hour - Undoing Ruin is the metalcore magnum opus, if you ask me. Produced by Devin Townsend, to top it all off!

One of the best albums of the decade, but it doesn't really sound like metalcore - there are hardcore roots and Mike Schleibaum's rhythms still have the feel of older American hardcore bands as well as some thrash and groove, but Kris Norris really took the lead on the album as far as guitar sound, and this dominates the album. John Henry's vocals aren't bestial growls, but they aren't hardcore shouts either.
Regardless of genre, it is one of my favorite albums, and the solo in 'Tranquil' is amazing.

'The Eternal Return' is Darkest Hour's second album that reaches the same type of perfection, and it does so in a different way. It still has a lot of the melody from the Swedish influence in the band, but it assembled and played in a way much more reminiscent of bands that sound American. It mixes a lot of styles, thrash/groove/melodic death metal/hardcore, all seamlessly, into something new, coherent, and cohesive, qualities which a lot of genre-crossing bands don't feature.

Major Burns posted:

They're a blend of melodic death metal and metalcore, which is fairly common. Deathcore generally blends the more brutal aspects of death metal and brutal death metal with hardcore.

Cock Soup posted:

Simply the type of riffing. Technically, it would be "Dark Metal" which is an obscure genre of which At The Gates was the leader. But nowadays, the name has more or less disapeared (go figure :rolleyes:) and people think that the type of riffing typical to Metalcore/Deathcore originated with the genre.

AtG were one of the bands that defined melodic death metal, I haven't heard them described otherwise except by whiny kids who call them metalcore. I don't even know what "dark metal" is supposed to be, because the term is incredibly ambiguous - I have seen it used to describe blackened death metal, fairly straight black/death/doom, and a lot of the time to describe bands that sound more like Christian Death or Sisters of Mercy than a metal band.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

Cock Soup posted:

uuuuuuh

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!
Black Dahlia Murder is just a melodic death metal band that appeals to the metalcore crowd for some unknown reason (I like them but I don't see the connection)

Cock Soup
Oct 15, 2006

Zodijackylite posted:

AtG were one of the bands that defined melodic death metal, I haven't heard them described otherwise except by whiny kids who call them metalcore. I don't even know what "dark metal" is supposed to be, because the term is incredibly ambiguous - I have seen it used to describe blackened death metal, fairly straight black/death/doom, and a lot of the time to describe bands that sound more like Christian Death or Sisters of Mercy than a metal band.

Well, yeah, the ambiguity is one of the reasons as to why the name disapeared. I've read about the "Dark Metal" genre in a critique of Nocturnal I've read.

Fake edit -
Okay, I've done some researches.. the guy had probably pulled that one out of his rear end. Sorry 'bout the confusion.

krustster posted:

Black Dahlia Murder is just a melodic death metal band that appeals to the metalcore crowd for some unknown reason (I like them but I don't see the connection)

Same kind of riffing and of vocal work...

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Actually just got done listening to Black Dahlia's Murders "Nocturnal" and its pretty :rock:

Although its a good thing its a short album, since it only has one gear the entire time (kick you in the face) so after awhile it could grate i suppose.

MetaKaiser
Jun 3, 2006
It's evolution, baby
Seconding, thirding, whatevering, BTBAM, As Blood Runs Black, and August Burns Red. All amazing bands that are awesome at what they do.

By far, my favorite hardcore/deathcore band would be Emmure. Those guys play some of the sickest music I've ever heard and it's been consistently amazing through an EP and two albums (soon to be three). Some of the band members also played in a, now separated (I believe) band called From The Pawn which is also pretty good.

Also, a favorite of mine that I've seen locally a few times, but by no means a local band, We Came As Romans. Some of the breakdowns are just the sickest things I've ever heard and the clean vocals are actually very well done. Definitely worth checking out.

And has anyone noticed a lot of -core bands are Christian bands? Mychildren Mybride, The Devil Wears Prada, August Burns Red, Texas In July, Whitechapel, Attack! Attack!, etc. As someone who doesn't particularly subscribe to any religion, it's weird that a lot of my favorite bands are singing about god and preaching their faith and whatnot.

MetaKaiser fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jul 21, 2009

ShimaTetsuo
Sep 9, 2001

Maximus Quietus
I don't know who half of those bands are but christian metalcore has always been huge. There have always been tons of christian, straightedge and vegan bands in hardcore/metalcore. It's really not a "have you noticed", it is a huge part of the scene.

And regarding BDM: when you tour with bands of a certain genre you get lumped in with them even if you don't sound anything like them. That's just what happens.

Leviathan
Oct 8, 2001

I hear the jury's
still out.. on science.
Fun Shoe
The new DevilDriver has some sweet riffs and Dez ruins every one of 'em with his terrible vocals.

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
Wow, I don't know if y'all are Saosin faggots (like me) but this new song rapes hard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvNsr5xNSQk&feature=related

Well, I would like to take this opportunity to also declare "Whatever-core" to include post-hardcore. :)

x TOMMYBOY x fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jul 21, 2009

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!

MetaKaiser posted:

And has anyone noticed a lot of -core bands are Christian bands? Mychildren Mybride, The Devil Wears Prada, August Burns Red, Texas In July, Whitechapel, Attack! Attack!, etc. As someone who doesn't particularly subscribe to any religion, it's weird that a lot of my favorite bands are singing about god and preaching their faith and whatnot.

Haha, I really don't think Whitechapel is a christian band:

http://darklyrics.com/lyrics/whitechapel/thesomaticdefilement.html#4

Cock Soup
Oct 15, 2006

krustster posted:

Haha, I really don't think Whitechapel is a christian band:

http://darklyrics.com/lyrics/whitechapel/thesomaticdefilement.html#4

How can it NOT be christian??? It has CHAPEL in its name :confused:

rgrdgr Karnage
Feb 2, 2006

MetaKaiser posted:

Yeah, it's interesting. As long as they don't have overt Christian lyrics, I'm fine with it. I saw Mychildren Mybride live with Protest the Hero and As I Lay Dying, and they were praising Jesus between every song. At that point it gets a little tacky, imo.

Also, am I the only one who doesn't get Whitechapel's popularity? They always have sounded pretty bland and mediocre to me.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Leviathan posted:

The new DevilDriver has some sweet riffs and Dez ruins every one of 'em with his terrible vocals.

I thought it was fairly rockin, but I still like Kind Words much better.

Ramseyk
May 30, 2005
hi
Anybody heard UK band Viatrophy? Their debut album leaked yesterday. I'm enjoying the hell out of it. Not overtly technical and very melodic in some parts, I'm digging it a lot.

Also Black Dahlia Murder is just regular melodic death metal with a specific fixation in the minor scale but I have to say though they do it very well.

As for Devildriver, the Last Kind Words is a bit underrated IMO. That album had quite a few good tracks honestly (Horn of Betrayal, Clouds Over California, Bound By The Moon), and I really like Dez's vocals on that album. He sucks on Pray for Villains though.

Cock Soup
Oct 15, 2006

rgrdgr Karnage posted:

Also, am I the only one who doesn't get Whitechapel's popularity? They always have sounded pretty bland and mediocre to me.

Well, the vocal is pretty killer, their breakdowns are kick-rear end and they have some pretty good riffing, not talking about the insane drummer.

Maybe you didn't listen to their best songs

Possession -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-o9tj-xH1qU
The riff at 1:58 always sends shivers down my spine

Fairy Fay -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ykcPj5nJ-I
The vocals on this one are killer, so tight

Vicer Exciser -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w63P-SNtFPU&feature=related
Kick-rear end breakdown

For the fans of Whitechapel out there, you should check out Impending Doom and Oceano

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EezL-fFoJc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGS8vvQKg14

Ramseyk
May 30, 2005
hi
Oceano are incredibly bland and barring the title track (Depths) I can't stand their album. Whitechapel are better but not by much.

This is just my opinion though.

The band I mentioned earlier, Viatrophy does this style much better with a bit more creativity.

EDIT: vv Hahaha, that review is hilariously spot on. I think the music sounding so boring has to do with the age of the members ( i hear they are pretty young, like 18 or something) so hopefully with time they'll grow and mature and realize music is more than just sounding BRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUTAL

Ramseyk fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jul 21, 2009

rgrdgr Karnage
Feb 2, 2006

Ramseyk posted:

Oceano are incredibly bland and barring the title track (Depths) I can't stand their album. Whitechapel are better but not by much.

This is just my opinion though.

The band I mentioned earlier, Viatrophy does this style much better with a bit more creativity.

Then you should enjoy this review:

http://www.teufelstomb.com/reviews/oceano-depths/

44+ minutes of breakdowns apparently. Go figure.

Leviathan
Oct 8, 2001

I hear the jury's
still out.. on science.
Fun Shoe

Ramseyk posted:

As for Devildriver, the Last Kind Words is a bit underrated IMO. That album had quite a few good tracks honestly (Horn of Betrayal, Clouds Over California, Bound By The Moon), and I really like Dez's vocals on that album. He sucks on Pray for Villains though.

His vocals had a couple high spots on the last album, but for the most part he's always sounded pretty monotonous and most of his lyrics seem like they were written by a 9th grader.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT
Am I the only one that thinks Deliver Us is far and away Darkest Hour's best album? Undoing Ruin is a close second though. I really don't like the new album much at all though.

Ramseyk
May 30, 2005
hi

Leviathan posted:

His vocals had a couple high spots on the last album, but for the most part he's always sounded pretty monotonous and most of his lyrics seem like they were written by a 9th grader.

I like to think the lyrics are a result of his days in Coal Chamber that he just never grew out of. Which were awful to begin with.

Yeah I never listen to them for the lyrics, usually just for the really catchy riffs and fun songs. Also I'm sure I'll get slammed for this but I enjoy their pristine production, there's something about its artificiality that appeals to me.

the Bunt posted:

Am I the only one that thinks Deliver Us is far and away Darkest Hour's best album? Undoing Ruin is a close second though. I really don't like the new album much at all though.
Undoing Ruin has always been my favorite but I appreciate the technicality of Deliver Us. The solos are just ridiculously hard. Good to see it carried over to the new album, which is pretty good (and more of the same.)

Gorewar
Dec 24, 2004

Bang your head
Anyone here into This Very Day? They're quite the force to be reckoned with live, and they have two albums on Blind Witness' label.

They ended up splitting shortly after their second album, but they've recently gotten back together with a new vocalist. I, for one, am really looking forward to seeing them in action again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhOMLO8R7DI

Daddy Two-Coats
Jul 11, 2006

I AM HULKING UP

Cock Soup posted:

How can it NOT be christian??? It has CHAPEL in its name :confused:

Whitechapel is the section of London where Jack the Ripper killed people :ssh:

But on the subject, I've just recently gotten more into stuff like Attack! Attack! and Confide... anyone know of other decent "crab-core" bands like them?

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Daddy Two-Coats posted:

Whitechapel is the section of London where Jack the Ripper killed people :ssh:

But on the subject, I've just recently gotten more into stuff like Attack! Attack! and Confide... anyone know of other decent "crab-core" bands like them?

haha, now you're in my domain. scenecore is my specialty. first, check the new The Word Alive EP, Empires out. it kicks a lot of rear end.

Greeley Estates. their latest disk, Go West Young Man... kicks a ton of rear end.

I See Stars. 3D has been described by some as a better version of Attack Attack!. I think they're fairly different, but still worth checking out

In Fear and Faith. it's like attack attack!, but with more structured songwriting and lyrics about pirates. hearing the singer scream PIIIIRATES LIFE FOR ME over a sick breakdown made me a convert.

hell, just look through Rise Records and The Artery Foundation's roster until you find something you like.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
New shadows fall song is streaming on there myspace:

http://www.myspace.com/shadowsfall

Wow, its pretty good. Sounds better than anything off threads of life.

Think
Sep 20, 2005

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

That's a really sweet track. I've never been a fan of Shadows Fall, adding their album to the ones I'm looking forward to this year.

MetaKaiser
Jun 3, 2006
It's evolution, baby

deadwing posted:

haha, now you're in my domain. scenecore is my specialty. first, check the new The Word Alive EP, Empires out. it kicks a lot of rear end.

Greeley Estates. their latest disk, Go West Young Man... kicks a ton of rear end.

I See Stars. 3D has been described by some as a better version of Attack Attack!. I think they're fairly different, but still worth checking out

In Fear and Faith. it's like attack attack!, but with more structured songwriting and lyrics about pirates. hearing the singer scream PIIIIRATES LIFE FOR ME over a sick breakdown made me a convert.

hell, just look through Rise Records and The Artery Foundation's roster until you find something you like.

I just saw I See Stars and In Fear and Faith for the second time with Our Last Night at a local venue here in South Jersey. Anyone passing through or near Vineland, NJ should stop by Hangar 84. There's a show practically every night that caters to the large hardcore crowd in the tri-state area and they showcase a lot of the local -core talent. The venue is amazing and some big bands have been there and are coming around. For instance, on the 30th Suicide Silence is playing (awesome deathcore band) and Parkway Drive is supposed to be there with A Day To Remember sometime in October.

Back to what I was saying though, the show was pretty good. I See Stars definitely isn't bad, but their music is hard to get into enough to dance along with. In Fear and Faith was slammin and even with the huge crowd the pit was pretty ferocious, definitely a talented group. About the lyrics, I think this is the band that sings that "Big Bad Wolf" song. When the lead singer started screaming that it was mayhem.

And to defend the Whitechapel thing, I just assumed they were a Christian band because I was looking for the Mychildren Mybride CD on Amazon once and they were lumped in there with all of the other Christian bands in the "Other items you might also like to purchase" thing.

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet

MetaKaiser posted:

I just saw I See Stars and In Fear and Faith for the second time with Our Last Night at a local venue here in South Jersey.

I'm assuming this was the Artery tour or whatever stopping by in your town? Anyway, I saw those bands with Emarosa headlining here in Houston at Java Jazz recently and the show was absolutely sick. I had heard I See Stars (the "Big Bad Wolf" band, although I find the Common Hours to be a much cooler song with a better breakdown) was a gay little Alesana-ripoff band which I don't really tend to enjoy, but was pleasantly surprised with a cool electro-hardcore vibe and some intense, well composed breakdowns. They actually had the most active pit out of all the bands, maybe In Fear and Faith was slightly more hectic.

Anyway, I don't usually like that poppy of a band but I found their music original/sincere enough to enjoy. Really all the bands were great that night but Emarosa really blew me away. Jonny was even having microphone problems but his voice still carried through amazingly. All the band members had great stage presence and the light show (again, this was great for all the bands but Emarosa especially) was crazy and went well with all the songs, The Past Should Stay Dead in particular.

Anyway else see these bands?

MetaKaiser
Jun 3, 2006
It's evolution, baby
It's probably the same tour. Emarosa was supposed to play, but they got lost or something and never made it. I've never heard of them though, so it didn't bother me. The venue gave out vouchers to get in free the next time they come and play, which I swear they said was with ADTR and Parkway Drive, so seeing that for free is going to make it so much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leviathan
Oct 8, 2001

I hear the jury's
still out.. on science.
Fun Shoe

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Some good riffage going on, but I'm disappointed by the lack of a real solo.