Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Seagate had some older 640GB drives. But there is no 7200.12 640GB drive AFAIK.
Anyway, its OT. Lets get back to win7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stuntman Mike
Apr 14, 2007
The saucer people are coming!
A friend of mine is having a problem where Win7 can't see an internal NTFS drive, but Ubuntu and WinXP can. He's tried reformatting it, but it still doesn't show up in explorer/Disk Manager, but it does in this 3rd-party program he downloaded.

He's tried both 32 and 64bit versions of the win7 RC. I have no idea what could possibly be wrong.

Flying Squirrel
Oct 24, 2007
Thanks, Zombie Lincoln
Does anyone know a good free program to image drives with so I can backup my XP system before switching to RC and for backing up the win7 system once its up?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

So some update installed last night, and now my battery's actually charging again I'm not lagging in everything I do.

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM
In my installation fiascos over the last two days I have learned a few lessons about Windows7 RC installation. In exchange for the previous help in this thread, I hope these random things I learned will help make others' lives easier (and not take two days to do it).

1) If you are doubtful about taking the 64bit plunge with Windows7, suck it up and do it. The internet is telling you to, the OP is telling you to, and now I am telling you to. I installed the 32bit version on my brand new 4gb memory Core2Duo E7400 2.8ghz machine. It ran ok, but I wasn't impressed. I finally got the 64bit version bootable via thumbdrive (more on this later), and installed it. Even with "only" 4gigs of memory, 64bit runs beautifully out of the box. The difference is striking, so go for 64bit.

2) Booting Windows 7 from a thumb drive is stupidly finicky. But it CAN be done. There are a number of guides out there for it. HOWEVER, most of them use the DISKPART utility in the command prompt, but this will only work if you are running Vista or Windows7. This guide walks you through creating a bootable thumb drive for creating a bootable Win7 thumb drive from within XP .

3) As a general rule, you cannot create a bootable 64bit Windows7 from within a 32 bit system. HOWEVER, if you follow a guide such as this one , it CAN be done. You will need to download both 32 and 64bit flavors of the Windows7 RC. Then, to create a bootable 64bit version in a 32bit environment, simply replace the "bootsect" file located in the boot folder of the 64bit folder with the 32bit version before Step 7 in the aforementioned guide. This worked for me, and lo it was good.

The only real casualty (other than wasting most of a Saturday) of this process was a nuked LG dvd burner, which somehow had its firmware deleted by its own update file I ran after discovering it was not natively compatible with Win7. I'm pretty agitated about that and hope LG will be able to help me out.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

change my name posted:

So some update installed last night, and now my battery's actually charging again I'm not lagging in everything I do.

I knew the system assessment thing wasn't right, when I ran it last night I got 2.2 on my processor and RAM, then when I ran it today they both shot up to 5.4. I think the update made it so windows finally correctly recognizes my power adapter.

MrSlayer
Nov 27, 2007
you are now manually breathing
regarding these UK deals, do the boxes contain both 32-bit and 64-bit versions?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

MrSlayer posted:

regarding these UK deals, do the boxes contain both 32-bit and 64-bit versions?
That's what I've heard. Having Microsoft take out IE8 is class on so many levels.

Greenfield
Jan 27, 2005
How can I edit this field in a files properties?

I am using Media Center, and it is getting file names from that field. See example below.

On a .jpg I can just double click the field and change it, but on .avi I can't do anything.

This is on Windows 7 64bit. I have full ownership/control of the file.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Greenfield posted:

How can I edit this field in a files properties?

I am using Media Center, and it is getting file names from that field. See example below.

On a .jpg I can just double click the field and change it, but on .avi I can't do anything.

This is on Windows 7 64bit. I have full ownership/control of the file.

Open the AVI in Virtualdub. Make sure Video>Direct Stream Copy and Audio>Direct Stream Copy are set. Go to file > Set Text Information. The field you need to edit is "Name". Then save a new AVI, delete your old one, ta-da!

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!
Does SteadyState work with Windows 7?

Greenfield
Jan 27, 2005

c0burn posted:

Open the AVI in Virtualdub. Make sure Video>Direct Stream Copy and Audio>Direct Stream Copy are set. Go to file > Set Text Information. The field you need to edit is "Name". Then save a new AVI, delete your old one, ta-da!

I tried that, but virtualdub gives me this error.

I googled the error, and followed the directions from the second post on this page here

Still same error. Is there a different way to edit it?

EDIT-- Found a program called abcAVI Tag Editor. It worked like a charm.

Greenfield fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Jul 20, 2009

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
I'm thinking of trying the RC, but don't know how it handles information on my computer. I'm running Vista 64 right now, and if I install the RC, I assume it will keep all my data. However, if/when I upgrade to the full version when it comes out, will that keep all my data as well? Or, if I go back to Vista, will it keep all my information?

I'm also curious how I would go back to Vista, since my computer didn't come with an install DVD. I guess I would have to order one?

Edit: Reading the installation FAQ, it looks like installingthe R requires a clean install. Guess I'll need to hunt down an external HDD I can use.

A Bad Poster fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Jul 20, 2009

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I just tried Windows 7 on my first generation Asus EEE PC, but unfortunately the results were pretty lackluster. Even after using vLite, it's near-impossible to get it down to a size where the 4 gig main hard drive is useable, plus I don't think disabling the physical pagefile was an option. I messed around with it for a while and ultimately went back to Windows XP on it. I think 7 should work fine on netbooks that had Vista on them, and any modern netbook should be fine, particularly if it doesn't use a solid state drive (or has a very large one, like a single 16 gig drive or larger) and has a minimum of 1 gig of RAM. Looks like at least one of my computers will be stuck on XP.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

4GB HDD? Good luck.

weaaddar
Jul 17, 2004
HAY GUYS WHAT IS TEH INTERWEBNET, AND ISN'T A0L the SECKZ!? :LOL: 1337
PS I'M A FUCKING LOSER
I think if I'm going to go to Windows 7 on my media center PC, I will probably have to go with 32bit if only because of the annoyance with the codec situation.

In the RC 64 bit I had the following issue that I could never figure out.
1. Switch media player to 64. Use command line thing and registry switch.
2. Try to play an Mp3 and open taskman, notice how WMPlayer has a * next to it :(.

I also couldn't get resampling of audio working in FFDShow in x64, and my crappy realtek integrated audio wouldn't send 44hz through SPDIF it would send garbage.

This wouldn't be so bad but the codec situation was a nightmare in that you needed both a 64 bit and a 32 bit codecs, sometimes Media Center would use FFDShow x64 audio, sometime x32 and my favorite is sometime it didn't use either and I would get no sound. WMPlayer would never used FFDshow video.
Also Arcsoft TMT3 seem to crash more on x64 using the media center plugin. [which also didn't downmix but thats a different issue...]

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

weaaddar posted:

I think if I'm going to go to Windows 7 on my media center PC, I will probably have to go with 32bit if only because of the annoyance with the codec situation.

In the RC 64 bit I had the following issue that I could never figure out.
1. Switch media player to 64. Use command line thing and registry switch.
2. Try to play an Mp3 and open taskman, notice how WMPlayer has a * next to it :(.

I also couldn't get resampling of audio working in FFDShow in x64, and my crappy realtek integrated audio wouldn't send 44hz through SPDIF it would send garbage.

This wouldn't be so bad but the codec situation was a nightmare in that you needed both a 64 bit and a 32 bit codecs, sometimes Media Center would use FFDShow x64 audio, sometime x32 and my favorite is sometime it didn't use either and I would get no sound. WMPlayer would never used FFDshow video.
Also Arcsoft TMT3 seem to crash more on x64 using the media center plugin. [which also didn't downmix but thats a different issue...]

I've been using 64 bit Vista and now 64 bit Win7 for years and I've never installed a 64 bit codec or player.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

univbee posted:

I just tried Windows 7 on my first generation Asus EEE PC, but unfortunately the results were pretty lackluster. Even after using vLite, it's near-impossible to get it down to a size where the 4 gig main hard drive is useable, plus I don't think disabling the physical pagefile was an option. I messed around with it for a while and ultimately went back to Windows XP on it. I think 7 should work fine on netbooks that had Vista on them, and any modern netbook should be fine, particularly if it doesn't use a solid state drive (or has a very large one, like a single 16 gig drive or larger) and has a minimum of 1 gig of RAM. Looks like at least one of my computers will be stuck on XP.

They make computers with 4GB hard-drives? My USB thumb drive is twice that and cost me a fiver.

Probably a bad idea to run Win 7 on a 4GB hard drive.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Lipstick Apathy

Xachariah posted:

They make computers with 4GB hard-drives? My USB thumb drive is twice that and cost me a fiver.

First gen Eee PCs like he said had super tiny SSDs.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Thermopyle posted:

I've been using 64 bit Vista and now 64 bit Win7 for years and I've never installed a 64 bit codec or player.

Ditto.

I've been running 64-bit Windows for a long time now. I didn't switch because I wanted to start using 64-bit-EVERYTHING, I switched so all of my 32-bit applications had more breathing room. I have 8 Gigs RAM, and all my 32-bit apps are pleased as punch, as they all get to grab their 2 Gigs or whatever and not have to fight.

When I try to think of any disadvantage of 64-bit Windows, the driver-signing requirement is the only thing I can think of.

I think WinRAR is the only 64-bit application I've bothered downloading. I know 64-bit would help something like that.

If you can't find 64-bit Codecs, then how the hell will switching to 32-bit Windows make things better???
Using all your 32-bit stuff on 64-bit Windows is better than using it under 32-bit Windows.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Xachariah posted:

Semi-beaten, but the first-gen Asus EEE Laptops had 4 gig SSD hard drives, and even a lot of the later ones (their biggest is I think 20 gigs) has a 4 gig fast OS drive and then the rest on a slower data drive (the system actually has two physical drives). Newer systems like the Dell Mini 9 will either have a traditional hard drive with platters, or a large, single SSD. Basically, I wouldn't run 7 on a comp with less than a 16 gig drive.

weaaddar
Jul 17, 2004
PS I'M A FUCKING LOSER

Xenomorph posted:

Ditto.

I've been running 64-bit Windows for a long time now. I didn't switch because I wanted to start using 64-bit-EVERYTHING, I switched so all of my 32-bit applications had more breathing room. I have 8 Gigs RAM, and all my 32-bit apps are pleased as punch, as they all get to grab their 2 Gigs or whatever and not have to fight.

When I try to think of any disadvantage of 64-bit Windows, the driver-signing requirement is the only thing I can think of.

I think WinRAR is the only 64-bit application I've bothered downloading. I know 64-bit would help something like that.

If you can't find 64-bit Codecs, then how the hell will switching to 32-bit Windows make things better???
Using all your 32-bit stuff on 64-bit Windows is better than using it under 32-bit Windows.
I can find 64 bit codecs that's not the problem! Its the inconsistent usage of them. If you switch WMP to 64 bit it will randomly decide to run in 32 bit mode. It also may decide to play back certain things in 32 bit mode, and sometimes simultaneously. Having both FFDShow 32 and 64 bit installed can lead to really hosed up results like 2 FFDShow audio decoding something [and butchering my ears in the process]. The "best" you can hope for is that it will play video in 64 and audio in 32 and even that is sketchy at best. Plus in x64 using WMP in 32bit mode it doesn't resample my audio. In Vista 32 I never had this problem. My Media center PC can only support 2 gigs of ram and a 512 meg video card so I don't need the extra address space. I'm not even sure I will update it despite my company granting me a MSDN subscription.

Yes, I can use MPC-HC x64 and that works pretty well, but I like media center and the built-in codecs for windows 7 sometimes choke on files that FFDshow will play fine.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Also can't you insert SD cards for extra storage space? I'm pretty sure most netbooks have the slot.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

change my name posted:

Also can't you insert SD cards for extra storage space? I'm pretty sure most netbooks have the slot.

Yes, but they don't expand the SSD, they're a separate partition, just like installing a second hard drive would give you C: and D:. No good for installing an OS to, and with a max speed of roughly 8mbit/s, I wouldn't wanna run anything off of one.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

weaaddar posted:

I can find 64 bit codecs that's not the problem! Its the inconsistent usage of them. If you switch WMP to 64 bit it will randomly decide to run in 32 bit mode. It also may decide to play back certain things in 32 bit mode, and sometimes simultaneously. Having both FFDShow 32 and 64 bit installed can lead to really hosed up results like 2 FFDShow audio decoding something [and butchering my ears in the process]. The "best" you can hope for is that it will play video in 64 and audio in 32 and even that is sketchy at best. Plus in x64 using WMP in 32bit mode it doesn't resample my audio. In Vista 32 I never had this problem. My Media center PC can only support 2 gigs of ram and a 512 meg video card so I don't need the extra address space. I'm not even sure I will update it despite my company granting me a MSDN subscription.

Yes, I can use MPC-HC x64 and that works pretty well, but I like media center and the built-in codecs for windows 7 sometimes choke on files that FFDshow will play fine.

I don't think you understand. There's no reason to install 64 bit codecs. Don't do it.

Greenfield
Jan 27, 2005

Thermopyle posted:

I don't think you understand. There's no reason to install 64 bit codecs. Don't do it.

Isn't Windows Media Center only 64bit on Windows 7 64bit? I can play .mkv on WMP, but I can't play them in WMC because I don't have 64bit codecs installed.

Maybe I am wrong though.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Casao posted:

Yes, but they don't expand the SSD, they're a separate partition, just like installing a second hard drive would give you C: and D:. No good for installing an OS to, and with a max speed of roughly 8mbit/s, I wouldn't wanna run anything off of one.

This, plus SD cards aren't designed for the constant reading and writing an OS does and will die very quickly with those kinds of stresses. Yes, it's possible to install it, and people have done it with Windows XP and Vista, but I wouldn't recommend it.

weaaddar
Jul 17, 2004
PS I'M A FUCKING LOSER

Greenfield posted:

Isn't Windows Media Center only 64bit on Windows 7 64bit? I can play .mkv on WMP, but I can't play them in WMC because I don't have 64bit codecs installed.

Maybe I am wrong though.

Not quiet. its a WPF app in x64, but the playback engine is still WMP and so it can switch down to 32bit for some illogical reason.

And before you say don't install 64 bit codecs if you use MC you sort of need to or else [sometimes] it won't be able to split an MKV. At minimum you need a splitter for MKVs in 64bit and potentially other things if your need is there, like audio mixing.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

weaaddar posted:

Not quiet. its a WPF app in x64, but the playback engine is still WMP and so it can switch down to 32bit for some illogical reason.

And before you say don't install 64 bit codecs if you use MC you sort of need to or else [sometimes] it won't be able to split an MKV. At minimum you need a splitter for MKVs in 64bit and potentially other things if your need is there, like audio mixing.

I did not realize this. I just assumed WMC would not be a douchebag and work like every other video player on Windows. :(

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,
With Vista I had programs pinned to the taskbar, but now it only shows the "type of program" instead of what I want. Let me clarify: I have a Loveline.pls in a folder somewhere in C:\ and .pls files are associated with VLC. When I drag the .pls file to the taskbar it says it's pinned but when I click on it, it doesn't open the .pls file, it just opens VLC. The same goes for folders. I used to have C:\Stuff\Stuff2 pinned to the taskbar, but now when I drag the folder either from explorer or from a shortcut or whatever it just turns into the annoying "Libraries" thing. And again when I open it, it goes straight to "Libraries" and not to the folder.

Has anybody else had this problem and figured out a solution?

(also the watermark is annoying)

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

thehandtruck posted:

Has anybody else had this problem and figured out a solution?
Right click and select it from the pinned menu.

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,

ilkhan posted:

Right click and select it from the pinned menu.

Oh gotchya, is there any way the icon starts the .pls by default instead of me having to right click everytime. I mean the whole point of it is convenience which is gone now.

thehandtruck fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jul 21, 2009

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Regarding the UK deal, it says that in order to qualify you need to be running a genuine XP or Vista install. I'm currently running Linux.

None of the retailers selling it mention this requirement, so what's the actual deal here?

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
There are no upgrade editions in the UK.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Lum posted:

Regarding the UK deal, it says that in order to qualify you need to be running a genuine XP or Vista install. I'm currently running Linux.

None of the retailers selling it mention this requirement, so what's the actual deal here?
There will be no upgrade versions available in the EU, so to compensate us poor bastards who can't upgrade, we're getting the full version for upgrade prices. When I say full version, I mean we're getting what is basically an OEM disc. You can do a clean install but not an update. I don't know if they will make us provide an XP disc during installation or something like that. It's not exactly crystal clear.

All transitory

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

From the MS site: http://www.microsoft.com/uk/windows/buy/offers/pre-order-faq.aspx

Microsoft posted:

How do I know if I am eligible for this offer?

To be eligible for the offer, you need to be running a genuine copy of the Windows XP or Windows Vista operating systems.

This is what I'm asking about. Is it going to ask for a Vista product key or something?
Edit: Also, do you get downgrade rights?

Lum fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jul 21, 2009

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Lum posted:

From the MS site: http://www.microsoft.com/uk/windows/buy/offers/pre-order-faq.aspx

This is what I'm asking about. Is it going to ask for a Vista product key or something?
Edit: Also, do you get downgrade rights?
Jesus, that basically contradicts what Amazon had on their web site about Windows 7 E Home Premium. Unless they mean that from a legal point of view, you need to own a previous version of Windows. Amazon UK explicitly stated that you don't need to have a previous version of Windows installed to do a clean install of 7 E, so I hope the most it requires is a product key.

I've read a few things that make it seem like Microsoft are unclear about this at present.

Cromlech
Jan 5, 2007

TOODLES
How do I stop Windows 7 from installing generic plug and play drivers as soon as I uninstall my current drivers?

For instance, I bought a new wireless card (D-link WDA-1320) and I downloaded the latest version of the atheros driver from a website. When I try to manually point Windows to the directory with the (obviously newer) drivers, it says it's already up to date. When I uninstall it, the card does not show up in the Device Manager, which doesn't even allow me to point it to the directory with the new drivers. When I refresh it, the PnP drivers automatically install.

Any ideas?

Cromlech fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jul 21, 2009

tijag
Aug 6, 2002
Hello all.

I have 2 Dell computers [one laptop and one desktop]. Both are currently running the RC and I enjoy them very much.

I bought the preorder for Win7 $50 buck upgrade, two copies.

What will I have to do to install the actual OS when the disks come?

Will I be able to preform a clean install from the RC? [will it recoginze the RC as a legitimate OS from which to use the upgrade disk?] Or if that won't work, if I use the OS recover thing which is on the computer, can I then use that OS as the 'upgrade platform' to perform a clean install?

I'm sorry these questsions have probably been asked an answered. I read the OP but didn't see an exact reference to what I am asking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

tijag posted:

Hello all.

I have 2 Dell computers [one laptop and one desktop]. Both are currently running the RC and I enjoy them very much.

I bought the preorder for Win7 $50 buck upgrade, two copies.

What will I have to do to install the actual OS when the disks come?

Will I be able to preform a clean install from the RC? [will it recoginze the RC as a legitimate OS from which to use the upgrade disk?] Or if that won't work, if I use the OS recover thing which is on the computer, can I then use that OS as the 'upgrade platform' to perform a clean install?

I'm sorry these questsions have probably been asked an answered. I read the OP but didn't see an exact reference to what I am asking.
You will have to load either XP or Vista apparently, then activate it. Then do the upgrade.