Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

Picked up Time Bandits and The Exterminating Angel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Word of wisdom:

There is absolutely no reason not to jump to get F for Fake at $20. Awesome movie and it's one of the few DVDs I've actually gone through all the supplements at least once. I've watched "One Man Band" thrice. And it's Orson Welles.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
What if you barely have enough money for gas and every time you drive past B&N your insides are gnawed away a little more?

Stupid sale. Making my life difficult.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Magic Hate Ball posted:

What if you barely have enough money for gas and every time you drive past B&N your insides are gnawed away a little more?

Stupid sale. Making my life difficult.

It's $20. I look at it as giving an hour of my daily wages a spine number.

Mr. Fun
Sep 22, 2006

ABSOLUTE KINOGRAPHY
Thanks guys, you convinced me to spend more money. I got all 3 of those movies I said.

I'm actually really excited about them though, so it's ok.

Mr. Fun fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jul 19, 2009

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

Merry Christmas Scary Wormhole!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

At least get Fanny And Alexander, it's worth every penny.

Especially if its the box set.

By the by, I ended up ordering John Cassavetes: Five Films from B&N today.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I just bought Tanner 88, The Documentaries of Louis Malle, and The Seventh Seal.

I'm going back in a few days too. What I was told by a friendly clerk was that the sale is going until August 3rd and that they can order any Criterion from their warehouse (pending that its available and a criterion in circulation) if they don't have one in store and it will be shipped to your home for free.

Thus, I will be getting at least a few more Criterion's in the coming week or two.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I'm tempted to buy the Wajda set. All I want is Kanal but I could the eBay the other two and probably make out pretty good.

Also tempted by the Rohmer box, even though I don't rate any of the films higher than an 8. I'm a sucker for box sets, maybe. Fortunately I've got a pretty strong will about it, I try very hard not to fill out my collection with stuff I'm only marginally interested in.

The one that's really hard to resist is Ran. I sold my copy when they announced the Blu-Ray... before it got cancelled and the DVD went OOP. B&N says they have it in stock... I hate not having it in my collection, but my gut tells me they'll clear up the rights situation eventually.

FitFortDanga fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jul 19, 2009

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I'm really wanting to get my first Eclipse, but I'm rattling my brains on it.

None of them interest me incredibly except for Lubitsch Musicals, which I've already watched half-way (The Love Parade and One Hour With You on Netflix). The Louis Malle documentaries look interesting, but I'm not sure if even the $40 discounted price is worth a blind-buy.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Egbert Souse posted:

I'm really wanting to get my first Eclipse, but I'm rattling my brains on it.

None of them interest me incredibly except for Lubitsch Musicals, which I've already watched half-way (The Love Parade and One Hour With You on Netflix). The Louis Malle documentaries look interesting, but I'm not sure if even the $40 discounted price is worth a blind-buy.

You've seen the better half of the Lubitsch set. If those two aren't compelling you to buy it, the other two won't seal the deal.

I've got the Kaurismaki, Mizoguchi, Bergman and Kurosawa sets. I'm a big fan of all four directors so naturally I'm very happy with them. But for you I'd recommend the Kaurismaki. I think you'd like his stuff, and for $20.24 it's a steal.

I really liked the one film I've seen so far from the Shimizu set. drat, another temptation...

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

FitFortDanga posted:

You've seen the better half of the Lubitsch set. If those two aren't compelling you to buy it, the other two won't seal the deal.

I've got the Kaurismaki, Mizoguchi, Bergman and Kurosawa sets. I'm a big fan of all four directors so naturally I'm very happy with them. But for you I'd recommend the Kaurismaki. I think you'd like his stuff, and for $20.24 it's a steal.

I really liked the one film I've seen so far from the Shimizu set. drat, another temptation...

How are The Smiling Lieutenant and Monte Carlo? I loved the other two.

There's really only two dozen other Criterions I'd jump to get if without monetary (or Blu release) concern, plus the Lubitsch Eclipse set. It's taking restraint on the Hulot films (except for the Playtime Blu on preorder). I already own about that many if you include two EAH and The Red Balloon.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Egbert Souse posted:

How are The Smiling Lieutenant and Monte Carlo? I loved the other two.

My reviews are on Criticker. TSL is okay, Monte Carlo is mediocre. I rank them:

One Hour With You
The Love Parade
The Smiling Lieutenant
Monte Carlo

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

The Sam Fuller Eclipse set is great, if you're into that. I'd never seen Baron of Arizona before -- Vincent Price is perfect.

Helvetica Sucks
Aug 4, 2005
I've got a new brain.
That B&N deal is cool. I grabbed Pickup on South Street, Missing, The Seventh Seal, and House of Games. I'll probably grab more when I get paid.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Question: Is Vengeance Is Mine any good? I like a good crime drama and it sounds like it would be up my alley, but I'm not too sure.

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006

Macrame_God posted:

Question: Is Vengeance Is Mine any good? I like a good crime drama and it sounds like it would be up my alley, but I'm not too sure.

I really liked the first part but the film really drags once he meets his wife. Don't let the cool cover art fool you it's more of a family drama than anything else. The first few murders were very well done but after that the plot really meanders and slows down. I would not recommend a blind buy.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Macrame_God posted:

It's not really a crime drama, but I wouldn't call it a family drama either. It's a lot like Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer if that gives you any frame of reference.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

FitFortDanga posted:

It's not really a crime drama, but I wouldn't call it a family drama either. It's a lot like Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer if that gives you any frame of reference.

I see. I'm wondering because I've already made up my mind that I'm going to get F For Fake and Time Bandits but I want one more thing. For some reason, I'm craving something with some action and/or suspense to it so I'm kind of leading myself into a blind buy, but I don't know what I want exactly. :(

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Get either The 39 Steps or The Lady Vanishes, then. They even have both the full-on Criterions and the Essential Art House cheapies.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Why Time Bandits? I guess if you're a completist, but the Anchor Bay release is leaps and bounds ahead of the Criterion.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Macrame_God posted:

I see. I'm wondering because I've already made up my mind that I'm going to get F For Fake and Time Bandits but I want one more thing. For some reason, I'm craving something with some action and/or suspense to it so I'm kind of leading myself into a blind buy, but I don't know what I want exactly. :(

If you want suspense, go with The Vanishing.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Cacator posted:

If you want suspense, go with The Vanishing.

Heh, I was considering The Vanishing, but it sounds like it would be a major downer. Also, is the Criterion version of Time Bandits really that bad?

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Macrame_God posted:

Also, is the Criterion version of Time Bandits really that bad?
I haven't seen it but it's non-anamorphic, so probably.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

I haven't seen it but it's non-anamorphic, so probably.

Yikes. Well, scratch that then. :(

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Macrame_God posted:

Heh, I was considering The Vanishing, but it sounds like it would be a major downer.

Yeah, but it's also really good, and it has its humor ("CAR GETTING USED TO SASKIA").

Macrame_God posted:

Yikes. Well, scratch that then. :(

DVDBeaver is usually a good resource to check before you buy anything. Here's the page for Time Bandits.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Macrame_God posted:

The Wages of Fear, if you don't already have it. Available on DVD and Blu-Ray.

Seconding Lady Vanishes and 39 Steps.

A few others to consider...

Action:
The Hidden Fortress
Yojimbo/Sanjuro
Branded to Kill
Tokyo Drifter
The Sword of Doom

Suspense:
Diabolique
Peeping Tom
Rififi
Le Trou
Eyes Without a Face
Army of Shadows

Hijinkz
Apr 11, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Which criterion movie has the best/most special features/documentary/interviews? I have $40 B&N gift money to spend and it's so hard to choose. :(

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Hijinkz posted:

Which criterion movie has the best/most special features/documentary/interviews? I have $40 B&N gift money to spend and it's so hard to choose. :(

I personally prefer the three-disc special edition of Seven Samurai, but that's mostly because I'm totally gay for Seven Samurai. Regardless, it's an excellent selection.

EDIT: Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas is great too, especially given Hunter S. Thompson's commentary track.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Macrame_God posted:

It's not very suspenseful except in small doses, and it's got a very deliberate pace, but it's a very good movie if you don't mind being disturbed.

FitFortDanga posted:

Suspense:
Rififi

I'd second this one. Much more 'crime/noir' oriented, and the entire second half of the movie is pretty edge-of-your-seat. It's probably the best heist movie I've ever seen.

Brian Fellows
May 29, 2003
I'm Brian Fellows
Is it really that much cheaper to buy from B&N right now than using the DDD sale? Sorry, I'm at work and can't check B&N or DDD, but it seems like being marked down 50% from the insane B&N prices would still be more expensive than 25% off DDD's prices.

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006

Brian Fellows posted:

Is it really that much cheaper to buy from B&N right now than using the DDD sale? Sorry, I'm at work and can't check B&N or DDD, but it seems like being marked down 50% from the insane B&N prices would still be more expensive than 25% off DDD's prices.

Yes, Barnes and Noble has most 40$ criterions at 19 (17 with membership, 15 with membership and coupons). While deep discount is at 27, with the 25% off that ends up at 21, so if you have a membership or use the coupons that were posted earlier in the thread you'll save about 5 dollars per film at B+N

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
I don't think I would've spent $180 on DVDs if I didn't realize that I would've paid over $350 at retail for all this:

Criterion:
An Autumn Afternoon
Fires on the Plain
Late Spring
My Dinner with André
Mouchette
Yi Yi

Eclipse:
Aki Kaurismäki’s Proletariat Trilogy
Raymond Bernard
Silent Ozu

So $180/14 movies = A little under $13 per movie. Not a bad deal.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
If you all are wondering what else is worth the money, I would highly suggest nearly every documentary they have on Criterion.

Namely, Hoop Dreams, Hearts and Minds, Harlan County USA among others.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

soggybagel posted:

If you all are wondering what else is worth the money, I would highly suggest nearly every documentary they have on Criterion.

Namely, Hoop Dreams, Hearts and Minds, Harlan County USA among others.

Well, I wouldn't necessarily recommend Koko the Talking Gorilla or General Idi Amin Dada. The others are all pretty good, though.

A great overlooked one is Symbiopsychotaxiplasm.

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

FitFortDanga posted:

A great overlooked one is Symbiopsychotaxiplasm.

Seconded.

Also, did my ps3 just die? seriously? It won't turn on, blinks red lights. A google search confirms the obvious. It must have seen the box by the door that had my Last Year at Marienbad blu-ray in it. Excuse me, I have veins to open now.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

zeroordie posted:

Seconded.

Also, did my ps3 just die? seriously? It won't turn on, blinks red lights. A google search confirms the obvious. It must have seen the box by the door that had my Last Year at Marienbad blu-ray in it. Excuse me, I have veins to open now.

Did you recently switch out the TV you were using? Sometimes the PS3 shits itself when you change TVs that have different HD resolutions and you have to boot it up the hard way.

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

Macrame_God posted:

Did you recently switch out the TV you were using? Sometimes the PS3 shits itself when you change TVs that have different HD resolutions and you have to boot it up the hard way.

No, nothing has changed, although I have experienced that before. When I try to turn it on it starts blinking a red light and nothing else happens. :(

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

zeroordie posted:

No, nothing has changed, although I have experienced that before. When I try to turn it on it starts blinking a red light and nothing else happens. :(

Well, I hope you don't have to get the thing repaired. :ohdear:

I have a friend whose PS3 recently bricked and Sony is going to charge him for the repairs (as opposed to Microsoft whose poo poo breaks all the time).

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
I am now the proud owner of The Seventh Seal. Question: I got the newest one, but whats the differnece between it and the old one. Before I crack open the shrink wrap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
New transfer, and probably a slew of new extras.