Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

BigKOfJustice posted:

Last time I saw something like that was a truck with a siren/PA system on it. It was wired directly with speaker wire and wire nuts with no relays. Nothing like a few amps going through a dashboard switch.

:ughh:

What if I wire nutted and then electrical taped all around the nut and wires?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hippynerd
Nov 5, 2004

by Ozma
I had my dash hood off a couple months ago, and found some wire nuts, decided to be careful not to touch them, and pretend I didnt see them.

I've had the car since 1994, and I didnt put them in, so it must have been one of the 2 previous owners.

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.
Found a pinhole leak in the FMIC of my TT. :(

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006
Yesterday I put $130 worth of oil and a new oil filter into my statesman, then ran it for 2 hours. This morning I changed the oil and filter again.

I HATE CARS
May 10, 2009

by Ozmaugh

DogDodger posted:

Found a pinhole leak in the FMIC of my TT. :(

JBWeld. Worked fine on my intercooler for years.

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.
Thanks. I thought about that, but decided to have it welded just to make sure. Should get it back on Friday.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!
I swapped the oem radio for the oem nav unit in my SRT8 after work today. Unfortunately it did not come with the GPS antenna so i have exactly the same functionality as the radio i just replaced :downsgun:. I'll look into getting an antenna tomorrow at work.

FortifiedTumor
Aug 4, 2007
Title text (optional; no images are allowed, only text)
Pasted the underbody with a nice coating of salt.

Click here for the full 1000x750 image.

The Bonneville Salt Flats are seriously too much fun. Turn your wheel any direction and press any combination of pedals.

If anyone is curious this is a stock Mazdaspeed3. Topped out at 147. Elevation and heat I think kept it from going any faster.

FortifiedTumor fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Jul 22, 2009

sw0cb
Feb 18, 2007

FortifiedTumor posted:

Pasted the underbody with a nice coating of salt.

Click here for the full 1000x750 image.

The Bonneville Salt Flats are seriously too much fun. Turn your wheel any direction and press any combination of pedals.

If anyone is curious this is a stock Mazdaspeed3. Topped out at 147. Elevation and heat I think kept it from going any faster.

I hate you so much. How much did it cost to run out there? DO you just need a helmet and such?

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.
On Friday I got my Jetta chipped with APR 93, it has transformed from a peppy family car to a quick family car. It is really quite fun.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

FogHelmut posted:

What if I wire nutted and then electrical taped all around the nut and wires?

Thats not what wire nuts are for. They are for joining solid core wire to solid core or stranded wire in a wall conduit box that never moves. A car is none of those, so get some butt connectors and shrink tubing. Wire nuts are a fire hazard and I fathom if one created a fire insurance would have a field day with it.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

sw0cb posted:

I hate you so much. How much did it cost to run out there? DO you just need a helmet and such?

Er... when i drove through there on I-80 you could just turn the wheel and drift out over the salt flats any time you like (well, okay, you'd want to slow down a bit). I don't know if it's legal or not, but ...

FortifiedTumor
Aug 4, 2007
Title text (optional; no images are allowed, only text)

sw0cb posted:

It cost zero dollars. I just showed up and burned through a tank of gas and talked to other people who came out to drive. There's really nothing there. The pavement ends and you're on the salt flats. There's a somewhat worn path to the graded area that's used for competitions.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=40.761772,-113.894663&spn=0.008874,0.021136&t=k&z=16

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."
Today, I finally finished charging my A/C system. Sucks driving around in stop and go traffic in the middle of summer with no A/C.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Did some cooking..

I worked towards reassembling my saab 99T and amongst other stuff I gave my manifold a coat of high temp paint and then baked it for a while. It stank!
It can have a second coat tommorrow now.

grzydj
Oct 4, 2000

You say agricultural or thrummy, I say totally yummy.
Put some new tires on the Liberty.

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

drat, these tires are excellent compared to the piece of poo poo Goodyear ST's that were on it before.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Doctor Zero posted:

Er... when i drove through there on I-80 you could just turn the wheel and drift out over the salt flats any time you like (well, okay, you'd want to slow down a bit). I don't know if it's legal or not, but ...

Yeah, there's not really any curb or anything:

Though I probably wouldn't drive off at anything faster than 10 mph, given the many rocks out before the real salt.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
I put new exhaust from the manifold all the way back on my 1991 Mercury Tracer LTS. The flex pipe had holes in it, the catalyst was welded onto the resonator section that was rusted in half, and the muffler was full of rattly pieces.

The new exhaust is Bosal factory-style replacement pieces with a Walker 'SoundFX' muffler. Everything went fine except I snapped one of the studs that holds the exhaust manifold to the flex pipe (surprise surprise on a nearly twenty year old car in the Midwest), so it leaks just a little from up there.

Any experience with replacing exhaust studs like that on FWD inline four cylinder motors, especially Mazdas?

A bunch of parts for the five-lug/rotor-over-hub/Acura Legend twin-piston caliper/rear disc brake conversion for my 92 Accord came in.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Put in the first tank of gas. 11.3 gallons. It'll take a few more tanks to get out of the break in period.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

$400 later, fitted new shocks and a new steering damper to try and make my car handle and go around corners again!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
A tank of gas, and then discovering that despite what the gas cap says, driving around with it open does not make warning lights appear on your dashboard, preventing you from looking like a goober when you pull into traffic. :saddowns:

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Changed the oil, first maintenance I've ever done. Incredibly easy, although I wish I had a set of jack stands and a floor jack rather than ramps. Tomorrow is cut holes in the rear deck for the speakers the previous owner installed and didn't cut any kind of opening for. Makes so much sense...

Lighthammer
Mar 13, 2007

kalvick posted:

then get a Mach 1 Grill Delete to complement the Mach 1 chin spoiler

Ok.

Before:

After:

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Clayed and waxed it. Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax is loving awesome.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Got new tires for and changed the oil in the VW. Shipping the VW wheels back to WI this week so I can mount them and drive it down in the next month or two.

Realized I really am going to need to find a place with a garage because I miss working on cars and an oil change is about the most I can really do at this apartment.

Edit: Then took it to Deals Gap and tossed it through the twisties.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jul 25, 2009

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Since my car decided not to start last weekend, today I:

- changed oil
- replaced PCV valve
- replaced fuel filter (thank god for PB Blaster)
- completely cleaned the interior
- quick exterior wash

Still terrified of changing my spark plugs.

edit- Forgot to mention that I replaced the burnt out lights in my trip computer display.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jul 26, 2009

turnerburna
Jan 11, 2005
Cobra Commander
put in clear bumper lights

washed

clay bared

waxed

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

On the Mazdaspeed3:
*Changed the oil and filter
*Cursed the useless rubber strap wrench and too-small metal strap wrench, ordered a 10-pack of OEM Mazda oil filters with a free filter wrench
*Removed the air filter (AEM Dryflow, Mazdaspeed CAI) and washed it, about six hours ago
*Discovered one of the hoseclamps on the CAI was barely holding on and trashed, bought a bag of six at Lowes for the price of two at Autozone

Still waiting on the goddamn air filter to dry. Got fed up with trying to air dry it in 105 degree heat and put it in the passenger seat of the Miata to bake at about 130-140.

On the Miata:
*Drove it a bit. Sounds like the battery is going soft.

On the Truck:
*Thought about ordering steering components. I haven't driven it in so long :(

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

Changed the oil for the first time on my 960. Got two or three quarts of oil on the garage floor before I could get the pan in the right position, but everything else went off without a hitch and it's running like a dream now.

solarbeam
Nov 29, 2005
The HID kit I said I bought earlier in this thread started flickering slightly. Then last night it was like a goddamn rave party then it finally went out.

I ripped that HID kit out and learned my lesson: never buy an aftermarket kit. So I went and bought me some Sylvania Silverstar Ultra halogen bulbs and installed them.

Goddamn it's a bitch getting to the headlights on a BMW Z4 :(

hunter x az
Oct 28, 2003
aftermarket headlight kits work fine... HID are pretty widely used. did you notice anything weird when you uninstalled them? mine work fine...

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Bahamutsrage posted:

The HID kit I said I bought earlier in this thread started flickering slightly. Then last night it was like a goddamn rave party then it finally went out.

I ripped that HID kit out and learned my lesson: never buy an aftermarket kit. So I went and bought me some Sylvania Silverstar Ultra halogen bulbs and installed them.

Goddamn it's a bitch getting to the headlights on a BMW Z4 :(

You'll do it again in a few months, Silverstars are garbage and are super overdriven to keep decent light output for that stupid white blue filter.

hippynerd
Nov 5, 2004

by Ozma
replaced rod bearings in the 86 starion, and sealed up the oilpan. when I get the rest of the parts back on the motor tomorrow, and start it up, I better have good oil pressure.

I'll be speaking with bob at mobil oil monday morning about their excellent oil filters.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

solarbeam
Nov 29, 2005

Baby Hitler posted:

You'll do it again in a few months, Silverstars are garbage and are super overdriven to keep decent light output for that stupid white blue filter.

Nah, I'm done with the headlights. The ballast completely died and they're just kind of unreliable. I think I'll save up and do a retrofit in the future and use only OEM ballasts, bulbs, etc.

Yeah Silverstars aren't the best halogen bulbs but after driving last night with the Ultra's they're pretty nice IMO. Well, nicer than regular stock ones, though I think I should've just bought some XtraVision bulbs which are 100% color coated free and cheaper and last longer :(

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

I use Xtravisions in everything. They do fine in 20 year old DOT housings, I don't see why people need much more dim-light than that. Maybe they need glasses?

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
About 2 years ago a bird poo poo on my car and I didn't get it off before it left a mark on the clear coat. It was on the spoiler. I recently bought a buffer so I whipped out the clay bar, polish and wax and fixed the problem. Can't tell it was even there now.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Replaced the odometer gears in my wife's '97 Volvo 850 on Saturday. The smaller one was broken but I replaced them both since supposedly the larger one WILL break if you don't replace it.

They really weren't hard to get to at all, but I did have to run to harbor freight and pick up a T-7 mini torx bit. The smallest I had was a T-8. drat swedes :argh:

Next weekend is the full tune-up since all the parts I ordered will finally get here by then.

I also washed and claybarred the Volvo, but the paint's so bad on it I don't know why I did.

wintermuteCF
Dec 9, 2006

LIEK HAI2U!
I bought a new cabin air filter. Opened up the filter box behind the glovebox and find there was no cabin air filter installed at the time. So I now have a cabin air filter, whereas previously I was running without a filter at all.

Also washed my car, only to have it rain four hours later.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

wintermuteCF posted:

I bought a new cabin air filter. Opened up the filter box behind the glovebox and find there was no cabin air filter installed at the time. So I now have a cabin air filter, whereas previously I was running without a filter at all.

Also washed my car, only to have it rain four hours later.

Friend of mine found out Jiffy Lube charged him for an engine air filter and never put one in. So he's been driving around with no air filter for six months.

Serves him right for going there I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hippynerd
Nov 5, 2004

by Ozma
Bob at mobil says that he's never heard of an oil filter stopping oil flow, and that there is probably a relief valve in my car that may be malfunctioning.

I have no idea where my oil pressure relief valve might be on these cars, and I've taken the motor apart and not found one.

Is there a way I can test the oil filter (with out putting back in my car!)