Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

redeyes posted:

You will have to load either XP or Vista apparently, then activate it. Then do the upgrade.

Nope, the RC, as long as it is also activated, will be good for an upgrade.

Edit: On second thought this is less solid than I thought it was. If you don't have any previous copy of Windows I would think twice before purchasing the upgrade based on this.

Initial source I got it from (no idea how reliable it is):

Dwight Silverman posted:

So far, there's been no clear guidance on this from Microsoft - until now. I've been asking a spokesman for the company about this for about a month, and he's finally been able to offer an answer.

It's an interesting one.

If you are running the Windows 7 Release Candidate, and you have activated it, you will not need to reinstall an older version of Windows before using an Windows 7 upgrade disk.

Emphasis is the author's.

Sorta confirmed by Microsoft,
http://windowsteamblog.com/blogs/windows7/archive/2009/07/13/update-on-windows-7-rtm.aspx

quote:

Can I continue to use the Windows 7 Release Candidate (RC) until I receive the RTM version?

Yes, you can continue to use the RC until it expires on June 1st, 2010 (expiration starts March 1, 2010 – this is when the reboots start – final expiration on June 1). Please note that “in-place” (or direct) upgrades from the Windows 7 RC to RTM will not be supported. You will be required to do a Custom installation (aka “clean install”).
Emphasis mine. It's not a real solid confirmation, but it definitely implies that an upgrade license will work, just not the in-place upgrade install itself.

kapinga fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jul 21, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

kapinga posted:

Nope, the RC, as long as it is also activated, will be good for an upgrade.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Windows-7-Upgrade-Paths-RC-to-RTM-Jump-Not-Supported-117231.shtml says otherwise, I think

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

See my giant edit up above. You can't do an "in-place" upgrade, but you should be able to use an upgrade key. The upgrade paths they are discussing in that article are about in-place upgrades (e.g. you can't go Vista Ultimate to 7 Home Premium), but you can definitely use an upgrade license of 7 Home Premium on a system running Vista Ultimate.

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000
The family pack is finally confirmed by Microsoft.

quote:

I know there have been some rumors going around about a “family pack” for Windows 7. We have heard a lot of feedback from beta testers and enthusiasts over the last 3 years that we need a better solution for homes with multiple PCs. I’m happy to confirm that we will indeed be offering a family pack of Windows 7 Home Premium (in select markets) which will allow installation on up to 3 PCs. As I’ve said before, stay tuned to our blog for more information on this and any other potential offers.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I've got a couple of questions about Windows 7:

If I'm browsing in a file location dialogue box and hit "Network" the dialog freezes for 15-20 seconds, then finally sees the other computers. There's only three: the HTPC (the only wireless client), my server, and the computer I'm on. Any idea on why it's causing the delay?

Two: I know that indexing and desktop search stuff is the big thing nowadays, but it is frustrating as hell that there's isn't a Right Click > Search functionality that will let me filter by wildcards. All I wanted to do is find all instances of folder.jpg and delete them, but I couldn't figure out how to do it natively. Am I missing something obvious?

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
I don't see it posted, but some dude got Win7 to run on a Pentium II at 266 MHz CPU, 96 MB of RAM and a 4 MB graphics card.

Click here for the full 1280x1024 image.

Stuntman Mike
Apr 14, 2007
The saucer people are coming!

Propaganda Hour posted:

I don't see it posted, but some dude got Win7 to run on a Pentium II at 266 MHz CPU, 96 MB of RAM and a 4 MB graphics card.

Click here for the full 1280x1024 image.

:aaaaa: Holy balls.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

-Dethstryk- posted:

Oh gently caress yeah. Three copies will take care of my household perfectly.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

m2pt5 posted:

Oh gently caress yeah. Three copies will take care of my household perfectly.
I run 3 comps (albeit ones a laptop which will have 7 natively) as well.

Depending on pricing, technet could be a better option.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

EC posted:

Two: I know that indexing and desktop search stuff is the big thing nowadays, but it is frustrating as hell that there's isn't a Right Click > Search functionality that will let me filter by wildcards. All I wanted to do is find all instances of folder.jpg and delete them, but I couldn't figure out how to do it natively. Am I missing something obvious?

Maybe I'm not understanding you, but just open the root of wherever you want to search and type folder.jpg in to the search box. Then select all results and press Delete.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Looks like the timeline for RTM has been officially published.

MSDN and TechNet people: I hate you.

http://icrontic.com/news/the-official-windows-7-rtm-timeline

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Thermopyle posted:

Maybe I'm not understanding you, but just open the root of wherever you want to search and type folder.jpg in to the search box. Then select all results and press Delete.

That sounds like exactly what I want, except it doesn't find any results at all.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755

quote:

RC1 x64 has been buggy as hell since I installed it.

I waited until the last day to install RC1 as Beta was expiring. The Beta was running perfectly.

Now my mute button lights up at all times unless a flash video is on screen and will not turn off otherwise. Sounds still play. Every few minutes, the mute button will turn off and an error ding will sound through the speakers.

Also, flash is straight-up wacky now: the only browser that lets me interact with flash related stuff outside of simple mouseclicks is IE8. Not only that, flash tends to lock up the browser for 2-3 seconds like Java loves to do on low-end machines.

What the hell? Why is RC1 somehow more buggy than the beta?

Windows Update just pushed a new SoundMAX HD Audio driver and it completely resolved the only issue I had with RC1. Strangely, the audio driver was really slowing the system down outside of just video loading...

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

EC posted:

That sounds like exactly what I want, except it doesn't find any results at all.

Hmm. It sounds like you have some weird issue, as I just double checked this functionality with different common filenames and filetypes and it works...

LonelyKing
Feb 2, 2003

Fun Shoe

-Dethstryk- posted:

Hmm, in the document linked in that article, it also states that you'll only be able to use the Professional upgrade if you currently run Vista Business. So that essentially means I need to cancel my preorder and miss out on the 50% deals because Home Premium can't upgrade to Pro, and I need Pro to run the old Cisco VPN client. Fortunately this is the first they've ever mentioned it and all the upgrade pages on Amazon/elsewhere just champion the benefits of getting something other than Home Premium. :smith:

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Thermopyle posted:

Hmm. It sounds like you have some weird issue, as I just double checked this functionality with different common filenames and filetypes and it works...

Is it supposed to search subfolders by default? I'm looking for any existence of folder.jpg in my \TV Shows\* folders, and trying to delete them.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

ilkhan posted:

I run 3 comps (albeit ones a laptop which will have 7 natively) as well.

Depending on pricing, technet could be a better option.

I wish they offered it for Pro, but then again I understand why they wouldn't (it would prompt small business to buy that instead of proper licenses) My main PC and my laptop require it as I use them to VPN into work. what I'll probably end up doing is having 7 on my main PC, keeping the RC on my laptop for a while and upgrading my HTPC to home whenever there's a good enough reason to. I probably would have upgraded them all in one shot if it wasn't for the fact that I need to fund a 7 upgrade and a new PC for my sis, as well as myself.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

EC posted:

Is it supposed to search subfolders by default? I'm looking for any existence of folder.jpg in my \TV Shows\* folders, and trying to delete them.

Yes.

I just did a search for folder.jpg in my Music folder, which of course is chock full of subdirs, and it showed them all. Is your TV Shows folder an indexed location? If not, a little bar drops down from the top of the window and tells you...

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

LonelyKing posted:

Hmm, in the document linked in that article, it also states that you'll only be able to use the Professional upgrade if you currently run Vista Business. So that essentially means I need to cancel my preorder and miss out on the 50% deals because Home Premium can't upgrade to Pro, and I need Pro to run the old Cisco VPN client. Fortunately this is the first they've ever mentioned it and all the upgrade pages on Amazon/elsewhere just champion the benefits of getting something other than Home Premium. :smith:

I thought they let you upgrade from a lesser version to a better version, but not the other way around. (e.g. You should be able to upgrade from Vista Home to 7 Pro, but you can't "upgrade" from Vista Business to 7 Home.)

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Matlock posted:

Windows Update just pushed a new SoundMAX HD Audio driver and it completely resolved the only issue I had with RC1. Strangely, the audio driver was really slowing the system down outside of just video loading...

I don't know why but Windows pushing drivers is awesome.

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

m2pt5 posted:

I thought they let you upgrade from a lesser version to a better version, but not the other way around. (e.g. You should be able to upgrade from Vista Home to 7 Pro, but you can't "upgrade" from Vista Business to 7 Home.)

I'm pretty sure you can use an upgrade license from Vista Business to 7 Home Premium, you just can't do an in place upgrade. If you can go from any version of XP to any version of 7, the same should be true from Vista.

ungaungaunga
Oct 7, 2005
Wondering if anybody knows of a solution to get my Logitech Quickcam Messenger working in Win 7. I got the drivers installed by using an old XP installer, because apparently the newer versions of the installation package don't even support my webcam, but when I plug it in, the webcam won't install properly.

Alternatively, if I can't get it working, are there webcams that are confirmed to work with Windows 7? I'd prefer to stay with Logitech, but I will go with another manufacturer if necessary.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

ungaungaunga posted:

Wondering if anybody knows of a solution to get my Logitech Quickcam Messenger working in Win 7. I got the drivers installed by using an old XP installer, because apparently the newer versions of the installation package don't even support my webcam, but when I plug it in, the webcam won't install properly.

Alternatively, if I can't get it working, are there webcams that are confirmed to work with Windows 7? I'd prefer to stay with Logitech, but I will go with another manufacturer if necessary.

If that's a webcam whose installer has a version number 8.something, I think you're pretty much SOL, I'm pretty sure they don't even work on Vista. Pretty much anything made by Logitech or anyone else in the last few years should work, though.

Vulcan
Mar 24, 2005
Motobike
Whats with Windows 7 jacking a 100MB partition without my consent!? How dare it ruin my perfect partition configuration >.<

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

Vulcan posted:

Whats with Windows 7 jacking a 100MB partition without my consent!? How dare it ruin my perfect partition configuration >.<

Are you, honestly, going to notice 100MB missing off your hard drive?

Besides, I believe it's used for holding a lot of the stuff that would normally clutter the root of C:\, like the boot files, because I just looked at my C:\ root with system files unhidden and nothing but the page and hibernation files showed up.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Thermopyle posted:

Yes.

I just did a search for folder.jpg in my Music folder, which of course is chock full of subdirs, and it showed them all. Is your TV Shows folder an indexed location? If not, a little bar drops down from the top of the window and tells you...

The bar doesn't appear. The search works fine in \Movies and \Music, but not \TV Shows. Very strange. I'll look into making sure it's an indexed location.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Vulcan posted:

I seem to remember reading before that it was so people could enable BitLocker although I'm not sure how good my memory is.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

EC posted:

:words:
Try rebuilding the index. Always sorts me out, the few times I've had weird search non-results.

Merv Burger posted:

Are you, honestly, going to notice 100MB missing off your hard drive?

Besides, I believe it's used for holding a lot of the stuff that would normally clutter the root of C:\, like the boot files, because I just looked at my C:\ root with system files unhidden and nothing but the page and hibernation files showed up.
Is the 100Mb not used for system recovery files that would normally require you to insert the DVD to tackle, such as boot up repair etc? I remember reading about this somewhere but can't find the source.

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Jul 22, 2009

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Oops, double post.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

Vulcan posted:

The space is reserved to allow you to convert the drive for bitlocker later on and for the windows recovery environment. There were similar reasons why XP always liked leaving 8mb free on the drive as well.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Has anyone got Homegroups working at all? I tried and tried to get stuff shared between my 3 computers with 7 RC and absolutely nothing works! I can create a Homegroup and password but no computers can see the other computers. My normal file shares work fine. WTF?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

redeyes posted:

Has anyone got Homegroups working at all? I tried and tried to get stuff shared between my 3 computers with 7 RC and absolutely nothing works! I can create a Homegroup and password but no computers can see the other computers. My normal file shares work fine. WTF?

I got it to work on the beta, but it messed up my regular file shares. My Xbox 360 couldn't access the share. I'm curious as to whether or not Microsoft will release an update for the 360 so it can join a Homegroup.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

AlexDeGruven posted:

MSDN and TechNet people: I hate you.

If you're going to be using this thing for personal use, the best deal in Microsoft land is a Technet Plus Direct subscription. You get full disk images of all the OSs and applications they currently support; each of the retail keys can be activated ten times. The catch is that you absolutely cannot use them in a production environment or let anyone else use them. There is no time limit on the installs.

$350/year, you also get a free phone support incident and access to moderated newsgroups (forums for you young whippersnappers).

Considering an Ultimate retail release of Vista was $300, it's worth every penny.

CONTENT:

I'm irritated that for the Intel GMA card in my netbook, I have two driver choices for win7 if I want the aspect ratio to be correct at 640x480 or 800x600: the intel driver for 7, which has a broken control panel (none of the settings stick), or the Vista driver, which mostly works but doesn't quite work right if I bring it out of sleep.

Anyone know a registry key I can set so I can use the latest driver but with aspect ratio correction?

xarph fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jul 22, 2009

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

xarph posted:

and access to moderated newsgroups (forums for you young whippersnappers)
Thanks for making me feel old :(

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Gah, try as hard as I may, I cannot get HDMI audio to work with Windows 7.

I have a Dell XPS M1330, running Windows 7 RC 7100. The TV is a Panasonic Viera 37" HDTV. All drivers are up to date as I could get them.

When I switch the TV to HDMI input and then connect the laptop, it switches the video fine, 1050p, no problems with video. But the sound only comes from the laptops speakers, not the TV's considerably stronger onboard speakers. The common fix online is to set the HDMI TV as the default playback device, but I can't.

When I rightclick the volume icon and select Playback Devices, the only option I have is laptop speakers. This is true even if I rightclick and check "Show Disabled Devices" and "Show Disconnected Devices".

I've googled around and tried every possible method of making it work, restarting while connected to HDMI, setting HDMI on the TV before connecting it, I've gone to the TV's Sound menu and set 'HDMI audio' to Digital or Analogue (neither make any difference).

I'm thinking of just going back to Vista if I can't get this working, see if that does it. It will probably still be broken, but I might rule out Win 7 RC as a factor.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Xachariah posted:

Maybe your laptop's HDMI port is video only.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Xachariah posted:

I have a Dell XPS M1330, running Windows 7 RC 7100. The TV is a Panasonic Viera 37" HDTV. All drivers are up to date as I could get them.

When I switch the TV to HDMI input and then connect the laptop, it switches the video fine, 1050p, no problems with video. But the sound only comes from the laptops speakers, not the TV's considerably stronger onboard speakers. The common fix online is to set the HDMI TV as the default playback device, but I can't.

When I rightclick the volume icon and select Playback Devices, the only option I have is laptop speakers. This is true even if I rightclick and check "Show Disabled Devices" and "Show Disconnected Devices".

I've googled around and tried every possible method of making it work, restarting while connected to HDMI, setting HDMI on the TV before connecting it, I've gone to the TV's Sound menu and set 'HDMI audio' to Digital or Analogue (neither make any difference).

I'm thinking of just going back to Vista if I can't get this working, see if that does it. It will probably still be broken, but I might rule out Win 7 RC as a factor.

Some posts I've seen online say your laptop has audio problems over HDMI even on Vista. Just wait till like September when there'll be full 7 drivers.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Now and then, I can't drag my files and folders. Any idea what's up?

Digital_Demon
Nov 28, 2003

Got an email in my box just a little bit ago that we have RTM on Win 7. Woo!

quote:

Today we will begin to move all of Microsoft to Windows 7 and Server 2008 R2. We are making the final build available to MSIT with today’s announcement, and they will now begin creating and replicating images throughout the world - in record time....you will have access to RTM code starting on August 3rd

Digital_Demon fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jul 22, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleepblorp3587
Jun 1, 2003
Word on the street (i.e. Neowin) is that 7600.16385 has been confirmed as RTM.