Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
I have enough money to justify buying one movie and that's it. (I am that broke, yes.) Really, really thinking hard about Il Posto.

EDIT: The competition is Naked, Play Time and Last Year at Marienbad.

Criminal Minded fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jul 22, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~
Got most of my stuff today: Ingmar Bergman's Silence Trilogy, Sawdust and Tinsel, Story of Floating Weeds, A Night to Remember, Life and Death of Colonel Blimp, Three Penny Opera, In the Realms of the Senses blu, and the Hiroshi Teshihagara box set.

Unfortunately, BN sent me The Red Shoes instead of Tales of Hoffmann, and no sign of Canterbury Tale yet.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Criminal Minded posted:

I have enough money to justify buying one movie and that's it. (I am that broke, yes.) Really, really thinking hard about Il Posto.

EDIT: The competition is Naked, Play Time and Last Year at Marienbad.

Play Time's coming out on Blu ray soon so there's no reason to get that. I'd go with either Marienbad or Il Posto.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Play Time's coming out on Blu ray soon so there's no reason to get that. I'd go with either Marienbad or Il Posto.

Those are the two favorites, but I don't have an HDTV yet anyway, or a PS3. Hopefully by the end of the year I'll at least have the TV.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you

LaptopGun posted:

I am now the proud owner of The Seventh Seal. Question: I got the newest one, but whats the differnece between it and the old one. Before I crack open the shrink wrap

Bold is new; italics is both. The big difference is that Disc 2 is Bergman Island (although I think Bergman 101 was on the old disc).

* New, restored high-definition digital transfer (with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition)
* Introduction by Ingmar Bergman, recorded in 2003

* Audio commentary by Bergman expert Peter Cowie,
with a new afterword
* Bergman Island (2006), an 83-minute documentary on Bergman by Marie Nyreröd, featuring in-depth and revealing interviews with the director
* Archival audio interview with Max von Sydow
* A 1989 tribute to Bergman by filmmaker Woody Allen
* Theatrical trailer
* Bergman 101, a selected video filmography tracing Bergman’s career, narrated by Cowie

* Optional English-dubbed soundtrack

* New and improved English subtitle translation
* PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic Gary Giddins

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
Thanks Steveie and Magic Hate Ball. I thought there was going to be stuff that was left off or unique to the original release or something. Jeez, it's not even close. Aside from the minor pictureboxing thing on the new one, which I don't care about, it's clear the new one is superior.

How much money is B&N making off this sale. Both times I've been to one I've either joined someone browsing the Criterion rack or someone follows me in. Otherwise the DVD section is a ghost town. At the very least, it's gotten me to buy 3 Criterions which I wouldn't have bought in store... or at least with them. Funny thing is I don't remember much of a markup when I worked at Best Buy... I bought Videodrome for like $30 with the employee discount. The discount was buying the item at cost plus 5-10% (depending on product and BB's DVD cost was usually pretty close to retail). Aside from DVD sets (like TV shows), it was my experience that markup for "normal" DVDs wasn't big. Not even Criterions were very big either. So here we are at B&N, which we all know usually has absurd movie prices normally. Their sale could be loss leader theory or Criterion cut them a break temporarily. I did notice that they only keep 1 copy of a movie out at any time (fake urgency factor). I'm fascinated how they decided to sell these things at closeout prices.

Is Ran worth owning? Rashamon? Yojimbo and its sequel (sidestory?) Sanjuro? There's my Kurosawa fix. Other movies I may possibly find interesting?

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

LaptopGun posted:

Is Ran worth owning? Rashamon? Yojimbo and its sequel (sidestory?) Sanjuro? There's my Kurosawa fix. Other movies I may possibly find interesting?

Every one of those Kurosawas is fantastic, good call.

What are you looking for? Might give me a better idea than just listing off my favorites, of which there are a lot.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

LaptopGun posted:

I did notice that they only keep 1 copy of a movie out at any time (fake urgency factor).

This is probably not "fake urgency" but because the store only ever stocks one or zero of each Criterion since they move so slowly. Sometimes they stock up specifically for sales, but even so I doubt every store would have stocked multiples of every Criterion, because even with the sale there are going to be a lot of distributor returns, which costs B&N money.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

STEVIE B 4EVA posted:

This is probably not "fake urgency" but because the store only ever stocks one or zero of each Criterion since they move so slowly. Sometimes they stock up specifically for sales, but even so I doubt every store would have stocked multiples of every Criterion, because even with the sale there are going to be a lot of distributor returns, which costs B&N money.

This.
I worked there for about a year and a half in the music/movie department. The only time we get more than one is if it's a new release, or it's a special occasion (ie: employee recommendations, actor dies or there's a sale)

Another big problem is that they're big targets for theft. Again, why we don't have more than one.
We got hit big when a couple filled a modified bag with rows of blu-ray/criterion at a time and walked out.

Bande apartheid
Feb 11, 2008

Sometimes reality is too complex for oral communication. But legend embodies it in a form which enables it to spread all over the world.

Criminal Minded posted:

Those are the two favorites, but I don't have an HDTV yet anyway, or a PS3. Hopefully by the end of the year I'll at least have the TV.

Since Marienbad is already on blu-ray, I'd go for Il Posto and just get Marienbad on blu-ray once you have the ability to play it.

I haven't gotten anything from this sale yet because I'm a poor college student. The benefit of this though is that I'm still young enough for people to give me money on my birthday which is between now and August 3rd. :hehe:

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

LaptopGun posted:

If you've never seen a Kurosawa I'd recommend Yojimbo first because it's awesome in every way. Which reminds me that Kagemusha blu-ray comes out next month and I need to spend some more money.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
My sole retail experience was with Worst Buy so it could be I'm biased. I also could be jaded from the absurd number of commercials advertising limited offers and "strict limit of x per caller"

Criminal Minded posted:

Every one of those Kurosawas is fantastic, good call.

What are you looking for? Might give me a better idea than just listing off my favorites, of which there are a lot.

Thanks. Mostly action and supense stuff. I realize Criterion doesn't do many popcorn flicks... now, anyway, since they went OoP. Alright, I admit I kinda want to find the old letterbox only release of Armageddon just to see the like 1/2 hour of deleted scenes that may start to fill the craters of plotholes, unexplained developments, missing information, and other fun stuff about movies :) But seriously, something with a lot of action (if it has intelligence and/or realism in it, that would be ideal).

Cacator posted:

If you've never seen a Kurosawa I'd recommend Yojimbo first because it's awesome in every way. Which reminds me that Kagemusha blu-ray comes out next month and I need to spend some more money.

I've seen Seventh Samauri and Throne of Blood (I was very happy to see that in store). I'll keep that in mind.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

LaptopGun posted:

Thanks. Mostly action and supense stuff. I realize Criterion doesn't do many popcorn flicks... now, anyway, since they went OoP. Alright, I admit I kinda want to find the old letterbox only release of Armageddon just to see the like 1/2 hour of deleted scenes that may start to fill the craters of plotholes, unexplained developments, missing information, and other fun stuff about movies :) But seriously, something with a lot of action (if it has intelligence and/or realism in it, that would be ideal).

Suspense: The Vanishing. Very slow and contemplative for a thriller, but it pays off big time. Really interesting film. It's about a guy whose girlfriend goes missing at a gas station on a trip. I won't say any more than that and if you're interested I advise you not to look up anything else.

The Wages of Fear is supposed to be great, but I haven't seen it myself. There are lots of good crime options as well, like Rififi, that fit the "suspense" mold.

Action? Geez, I dunno. Outside of more Kurosawa I can't think of anything that's really very actiony that I'm familiar with.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Jeez, we just went over this on the LAST PAGE

FitFortDanga posted:

The Wages of Fear, if you don't already have it. Available on DVD and Blu-Ray.

Seconding Lady Vanishes and 39 Steps.

A few others to consider...

Action:
The Hidden Fortress
Yojimbo/Sanjuro
Branded to Kill
Tokyo Drifter
The Sword of Doom

Suspense:
Diabolique
Peeping Tom
Rififi
Le Trou
Eyes Without a Face
Army of Shadows

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

Hey FitFortDanga how can I find out when/where the new Criterions are announced next month? :twisted;

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

Ah, yeah Danga. I really like making a fool of myself, especially when it comes to letting others recommend how I'm spending my money :eng99: Argh.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Criminal Minded posted:

Action? Geez, I dunno. Outside of more Kurosawa I can't think of anything that's really very actiony that I'm familiar with.

The Criterion used to have Hard Boiled and The Killer and those were excellent action flicks as was Robocop. Since they lost the rights, I don't know what else The Criterion has as far as modern and conventional action pictures go. The Rock maybe? Speaking of which, was The Rock included in the sale? I didn't see it and I believe it's still in print.

I guess the folks at The Criterion Collection should look into getting some more modern action flicks.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Macrame_God posted:

The Criterion used to have Hard Boiled and The Killer and those were excellent action flicks as was Robocop. Since they lost the rights, I don't know what else The Criterion has as far as modern and conventional action pictures go. The Rock maybe? Speaking of which, was The Rock included in the sale? I didn't see it and I believe it's still in print.

I guess the folks at The Criterion Collection should look into getting some more modern action flicks.

Man, I'd like nothing more than to get a BR copy of those action movies.

I found a copy of The Rock at Half Priced Books, but I need to clean it off so it'll play 100%.
And I've looked for it while working at B&N but for some reason it's not in our system, so I just assumed it was OOP.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

DevCore posted:

I found a copy of The Rock at Half Priced Books, but I need to clean it off so it'll play 100%. And I've looked for it while working at B&N but for some reason it's not in our system, so I just assumed it was OOP.

Strange. The Criterion Collection website says it's still in print. Hell, you can buy it right there from the site. Perhaps Michael Bay, even in Criterion form, is too passe for B&N? :v:

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

STEVIE B 4EVA posted:

Hey FitFortDanga how can I find out when/where the new Criterions are announced next month? :twisted;

CriterionForum.org has a lot of speculation and they're usually at least on the right path.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Oh, and I didn't go with any of the things I listed - I actually used this opportunity to upgrade my Seventh Seal DVD. Couldn't bear not having the best edition of one my favorite films by one of my favorite directors.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Any time you see Delekhan post, make this face and tell him how much he owns.
If you're still looking to get Criterions, not only is the B&N sale still going on, but they now have additional 20% off coupons (V7P9T8N and P3N9L8M).

I just ordered Last Year at Marienbad on Blu-Ray for 15.33 shipped after my membership discount, the 20% coupon, and free shipping through the Visa link. These prices are awesome.

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

Bambi posted:

If you're still looking to get Criterions, not only is the B&N sale still going on, but they now have additional 20% off coupons (V7P9T8N and P3N9L8M).

I just ordered Last Year at Marienbad on Blu-Ray for 15.33 shipped after my membership discount, the 20% coupon, and free shipping through the Visa link. These prices are awesome.

gently caress YOU BARNES AND NOBLE!!! I don't need to spend anymore money but Two Lane Blacktop for 15 dollars is too good to pass up.

If you use the Visa thing and the 20% off code but are not a member it cost me $16.03 for F for Fake.

The Lucas fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jul 23, 2009

Punch Drunk Drewsky
Jul 22, 2008

No one can stop the movies.
So I decided on Olivier's Shakespeare collection, The Third Man, Vampyr, Kicking and Screaming, WR : Mysteries of the Organism and Brute Force through the Barnes sale.

They arrived, I started partaking in some Olivier, then decided to throw on The Third Man. Come to find out the first disc shipped cracked. The second disc and the rest of the DVDs are good though.

Anyone have any experience with the tolerance of Barnes and Noble's return policy?

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

My My Dinner With Andre DVD arrived today and it seems that my cover is much darker than the one seen in the Criterion website (the background table is almost black). Are all copies like that or did mine come with a printing error or something?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Fuuuuck... so hard not to order a shitload of titles with that extra 20% coupon. But I'm maintaining my resolve to 1) wait for Blu-Ray on most titles and 2) not let my collection get bloated again.

I did have to snag Vampyr and the Wajda box though. $51.98 shipped.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

That 20% coupon is tempting me really bad on some of the DVDs...

$32 for the Eisenstein box set is really good, but I remember being distracted by the weird remix on Alexander Nevsky. Did Mosfilm mess with the tracks on Ivan the Terrible?

Is the Jean Painleve set worth a blind buy? I like old nature films and educational shorts and $16 doesn't seem like a bad price.

I guess I just need to figure out what I'll get with Vampyr since it's only $16 after the coupon.

Since they're basically the UK Criterion... does anyone have any Masters of Cinema DVDs? I'm locked into importing their upcoming Sunrise BluRay, but I'd like input on the German silents (Nosferatu, Faust, The Last Laugh, etc) and others. The DVD Beaver reviews look favorable, but I'd like to know if anyone here has them.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Egbert Souse posted:

Is the Jean Painleve set worth a blind buy? I like old nature films and educational shorts and $16 doesn't seem like a bad price.

Man, that's a hard call. I enjoyed it more than I thought I would, but I don't think there's a whole lot of rewatch value to it. Try to find some on YouTube (or elsewhere) and see what you think.

GonzoIsKing
Sep 26, 2004
drat you guys I barely had the willpower to not order anything in this sale because I'm broke and shouldn't spend the money i do have on DVDs. But then you have to come in here with your free shipping and your 20% off coupons and shatter my resolve.I got Seventh Seal and M.

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

FitFortDanga posted:

Man, that's a hard call. I enjoyed it more than I thought I would, but I don't think there's a whole lot of rewatch value to it.

Well, it has for me. I love the Yo La Tengo score they did for some of the shorts and I also look forward to watching them with the original soundtrack/narration in the future.

I own the two Masters of Cinema blu-rays released so far: Mad Detective and Tokyo Sonata. They are both quite good (and region-free). Don't own any of the silents though.

Mr. Fun
Sep 22, 2006

ABSOLUTE KINOGRAPHY
Have any other Canadians ordered from this sale? I ask because I'm trying to figure out if I'm able to actually track my package. They gave me a tracking number online but it doesn't seem to do anything, am I missing something?

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006
Does the B&N website work like Amazon, in that if a sale ends before something ships, it stays at the sale price?

I ordered The Seventh Seal a week ago, and when I hadn't gotten it yet I checked the website and it says it won't ship til the 7th of August.

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

LightsGameraAction posted:

Does the B&N website work like Amazon, in that if a sale ends before something ships, it stays at the sale price?

I ordered The Seventh Seal a week ago, and when I hadn't gotten it yet I checked the website and it says it won't ship til the 7th of August.

If you placed the order already, the price should stay the same.

HankMcCoy
Jul 26, 2006
Never trust the White man driving the Black van, he's saving all his voodoo for you
Is the sale only for online or is it an in-store sale as well?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

bmmello posted:

Well, it has for me. I love the Yo La Tengo score they did for some of the shorts and I also look forward to watching them with the original soundtrack/narration in the future.

I own the two Masters of Cinema blu-rays released so far: Mad Detective and Tokyo Sonata. They are both quite good (and region-free). Don't own any of the silents though.

Just ordered Faust, Nosferatu, and The Last Laugh... even after S&H and VAT, it was $15 cheaper than getting the Kino ports here. :v:

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

Merry Christmas Scary Wormhole!
Goddammit guys, tempt me not with your 20% coupons. Now I've got Branded to Kill and Wages of Fear tugging at my sleeve.

The Mighty Boosh just came out in Region 1 this week too. :sigh:

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
I just picked up "The Life Aquatic" at B&N for $8.95 with my 10% member discount. Thanks for the heads up on the sale!

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Well, that was money I didn't really have to spend, but at least I now own Solaris and F for Fake. I'm usually way too cheap to buy Criterion releases, but this is just within my range.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006
What are some good Criterion sci-fi titles to pick up during the sale? I've already got Brazil, Vampyr, and Onibaba.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

LightsGameraAction posted:

What are some good Criterion sci-fi titles to pick up during the sale? I've already got Brazil, Vampyr, and Onibaba.

If you're willing to look past its (many) shortcomings as a film, Equinox is one of the most fascinating titles in the collection. Dennis Muren, who would later become the special effects man behind Star Wars, Close Encounters, and Jurassic Park, essentially filmed it in his backyard when he was a teenager. The extras are crammed with tributes from Harryhausen and Ackerman and Lucas and shorts and other glimpses of the genius on display. It's a great lesson in guerilla filmmaking and one of a few movies in the collection that really is a tribute to the joy of filmmaking.

Robinson Crusoe on Mars is a very fun, pretty cheesy/campy adventure movie on Mars with a monkey and Adam West.