Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000

Rainer posted:

Yes it is, and firehawk, I agree on the weights but It just got a new set of tires from the previous owner, so It's going to be awhile until that's fixed (I hope).

Get your rear end to the closest tire shop and have them do a static balance on those wheels. It should be less than $20 and it will save the finish. Leaving wheel weights on the outside of a wheel will gently caress up the finish badly. If you like the wheels and car get that poo poo fixed asap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Putka
Apr 11, 2007
Jailhouse rock!

2ndclasscitizen posted:

I'm just picturing you sitting on the car when the officials arrive, drenched in blood, drinking a coke, going "'sup?"

Heh this is pretty close to what happened. The EMS couldn't believe it.
Just heard from my insurance and looks like they'll cover the car :)

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Putka posted:

Heh this is pretty close to what happened. The EMS couldn't believe it.
Just heard from my insurance and looks like they'll cover the car :)

Uh, why wouldn't they? Thats what you pay them for.

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

Putka posted:

The inspector said that the only reason we're probably alive is the fact that we we're driving so fast, which stopped the moose from coming through the window onto us.

Holy poo poo, that's amazing. Walking away from that is pretty special. Your car did good :)

I don't have to contend with moose but I've been taught that if I see a kangaroo and a collision is inevitable, don't brake too heavily or else the front of the car will dip and flip the kangaroo through the windscreen and in to me :gonk:

My new car is here but here's my old car after a kangaroo at 120km/h. I didn't brake, but I did lift off... it went right over the top:

It cost my insurance company $9000 to repair but they did and I drove it for a further two years. If I'd slammed the anchors on, I'd have been in a world of pain.

Scienide
Sep 29, 2006

Gunplay...

My Audi A3 in a well over-the-top HDR photo!

It's going to be my main ride until the end of the year when I'll look to buy a roadster of some description just for me... I'm thinking an MR2.

I HATE CARS
May 10, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Scienide posted:

TERRIBLE TERRIBLE PHOTO

It's going to be my main ride until the end of the year when I'll look to buy a roadster of some description just for me... I'm thinking an MR2.

loving hell that poo poo hurts my eyes. Put up a photo that you haven't fake-HDR'd would you?

Scienide
Sep 29, 2006

Gunplay...

I HATE CARS posted:

loving hell that poo poo hurts my eyes. Put up a photo that you haven't fake-HDR'd would you?

*Not faked, just really OTT! :v:

I HATE CARS
May 10, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Scienide posted:

*Not faked, just really OTT! :v:

Are you seriously told me that you took multiple bracketed exposures in RAW files using a tripod and then pulled something like that out of it?

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Scienide posted:

Next time, don't bother with the bracketing and just blow out the Contrast slider in photoshop, okay? Same result.

Hatebreed
Aug 31, 2006

by angerbot

I HATE CARS posted:

Are you seriously told me that you took multiple bracketed exposures in RAW files using a tripod and then pulled something like that out of it?

To be fair, the car looks like every other lovely VW/Audi picture in this thread.

I HATE CARS
May 10, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Hatebreed posted:

To be fair, the car looks like every other lovely VW/Audi picture in this thread.

Good point. Here Scienide you can delete your post now, I've even lowered your car and found you much cooler wheels too

Scienide
Sep 29, 2006

Gunplay...

I HATE CARS posted:

Yup, Nikon D90 [f7.1 | ISO400 | 1/8]- took the photos to test out Photomatix that the office had just bought. That's the first, admittedly over done attempt (used the car as it was parked outside and was clean as a test). It was sitting on my hard drive and I thought, looks a bit cack but what the hell, I'll upload it...

I'm surprised to find that you feel so deeply offended by it but, hey ho!

I HATE CARS posted:

Good point. Here Scienide you can delete your post now, I've even lowered your car and found you much cooler wheels too

Cheers but it's going to be lowered next month and A3 Quattro wheels are on the way! I must say, I do find a lot of third party manufacturer wheels look a little cheap*, the 20-spoke Audi alloys that come as part of the new S3 package look much better than the one in the picture you posted:

*Oh, there are always exceptions...

Scienide fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jul 22, 2009

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I went to a nice photogenic area to take some quality pictures of my car the other night, and only got this halfway-lovely one before the PO-LICE showed up and told me I had to leave. I respect law enforcement tremendously, but this guy was an absolute dick. I felt an inch away from being arrested. God forbid anyone is in a church parking lot at 10 o'clock at night! What do you think you're doing here? Well, I'm pointing a camera and tripod at my car.

It is a 2007 Honda Civic Si coupe in rallye red. Modifications to date include a Fujita short ram intake (currently swapped with an AEM cold air intake for the summer,) Strup race header, A'pexi World Sport 2 catback exhaust, Eibach Pro Kit suspension, and a Cobb AccessPort running a stage 2 map ("it's fuckin' tune time.") Bling bling includes a Honda of Japan Civic Type R shift knob and shift boot.

Making an estimated 220 HP. These were rated 197 HP at the crank, but actual baseline power to the wheels typically yields 184 - 186 HP. My last dyno pull yielded 204 HP, and this was with the short ram intake and no AccessPort. After adding the Cobb, it feels like an entirely different beast (any Subaru owner can attest to that, I'm sure.) You WRX owners have it made, though; Cobb has managed to milk over 40 additional horsepower out of the 2009 just with tuning. I'd wager I made something like 15 HP.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Steve. posted:

Holy poo poo, that's amazing. Walking away from that is pretty special. Your car did good :)

I don't have to contend with moose but I've been taught that if I see a kangaroo and a collision is inevitable, don't brake too heavily or else the front of the car will dip and flip the kangaroo through the windscreen and in to me :gonk:

My new car is here but here's my old car after a kangaroo at 120km/h. I didn't brake, but I did lift off... it went right over the top:

It cost my insurance company $9000 to repair but they did and I drove it for a further two years. If I'd slammed the anchors on, I'd have been in a world of pain.
$9000 for only that amount of damage? Holy poo poo, all I can see is the bonnet being a bit bent, did the roo bounce along your roof. I've seen cars looking worse after dealing with a kangaroo at slower speeds.

Nice replacement for the Dunnydore, those VWs look great.

I HATE CARS
May 10, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Scienide posted:

Yup, Nikon D90 [f7.1 | ISO400 | 1/8]- took the photos to test out Photomatix that the office had just bought. That's the first, admittedly over done attempt (used the car as it was parked outside and was clean as a test). It was sitting on my hard drive and I thought, looks a bit cack but what the hell, I'll upload it...

Wait, from what you're saying there you shot all the pictures with exactly the same settings and aperture. That's not how you do it ...

I'm going to stop messing up this thread and just recommend you go read Creative Convention or something to get a start - http://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=31

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

enojy posted:

I'd arrest you too for taking a picture that terrible.

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

You Am I posted:

$9000 for only that amount of damage? Holy poo poo, all I can see is the bonnet being a bit bent, did the roo bounce along your roof. I've seen cars looking worse after dealing with a kangaroo at slower speeds.

Nice replacement for the Dunnydore, those VWs look great.
Yeah, I was surprised too. When I picked the car up from being fixed the repairer told me it was on the verge of being written off. You're right, it doesn't look too bad but apparently it had ruined a fair bit of stuff. It did hit the roof at the rear and leave a dent, but I didn't notice that in time to get a photo. There was kangaroo juice all over the windscreen :gonk:

I'd driven from Adelaide to Thredbo and back, and this happened five minutes from home on the freeway (near the Stirling exit for any Adelaide goons) after not having seen a single dead or alive kangaroo the 2700km round trip.

I'm loving the R36, it's an enormous step up from a VY Commodore and even from a mark 5 Golf GTI.

sw0cb
Feb 18, 2007

enojy posted:

I went to a nice photogenic area to take some quality pictures of my car the other night, and only got this halfway-lovely one before the PO-LICE showed up and told me I had to leave. I respect law enforcement tremendously, but this guy was an absolute dick. I felt an inch away from being arrested. God forbid anyone is in a church parking lot at 10 o'clock at night! What do you think you're doing here? Well, I'm pointing a camera and tripod at my car.

It is a 2007 Honda Civic Si coupe in rallye red. Modifications to date include a Fujita short ram intake (currently swapped with an AEM cold air intake for the summer,) Strup race header, A'pexi World Sport 2 catback exhaust, Eibach Pro Kit suspension, and a Cobb AccessPort running a stage 2 map ("it's fuckin' tune time.") Bling bling includes a Honda of Japan Civic Type R shift knob and shift boot.

Making an estimated 220 HP. These were rated 197 HP at the crank, but actual baseline power to the wheels typically yields 184 - 186 HP. My last dyno pull yielded 204 HP, and this was with the short ram intake and no AccessPort. After adding the Cobb, it feels like an entirely different beast (any Subaru owner can attest to that, I'm sure.) You WRX owners have it made, though; Cobb has managed to milk over 40 additional horsepower out of the 2009 just with tuning. I'd wager I made something like 15 HP.
What do those run in the 1/4 mile?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Steve. posted:

Yeah, I was surprised too. When I picked the car up from being fixed the repairer told me it was on the verge of being written off. You're right, it doesn't look too bad but apparently it had ruined a fair bit of stuff. It did hit the roof at the rear and leave a dent, but I didn't notice that in time to get a photo. There was kangaroo juice all over the windscreen :gonk:

Out of curiosity: Did it set the airbags off?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Steve. posted:

I'd driven from Adelaide to Thredbo and back, and this happened five minutes from home on the freeway (near the Stirling exit for any Adelaide goons) after not having seen a single dead or alive kangaroo the 2700km round trip.

I'm loving the R36, it's an enormous step up from a VY Commodore and even from a mark 5 Golf GTI.
Ah, well if it hit the roof hard enough, then that'll screw up the safety cell for the passengers.

Replica Kill
Sep 11, 2001

"Weird is part of the job"
One of my employees wanted to fool around with his new camera. Here's another one of the ol' box...

Click here for the full 2048x1300 image.

ozziegt
Jul 8, 2005

cool under pressure

Replica Kill posted:

One of my employees wanted to fool around with his new camera. Here's another one of the ol' box...

I've seen pictures like this before...they look like paintings or sketches instead of photos. I imagine it's some kind of HDR technique...got any details?

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Replica Kill posted:

Yeah, I'd like to know too, I think the M3 deserves a photo or two like this.

Nait Sirhc
Sep 11, 2001
Yeah, I want a pic like that of my car. How do I get one without paying someone a zillion dollars?

Replica Kill
Sep 11, 2001

"Weird is part of the job"
I don't know anything about photography, but ozziegt is right, the technique is called "HDR".

Here's the photographer's website, etc. in case you want to get in touch with him: http://sjbvision.com. I'm surprised he put my car on the site, it's in the HDR section along with some other cars, an SR71 and a SPACE SHUTTLE!

Parabellum
Feb 26, 2004
Si Vis Pace

Replica Kill posted:

get out of here b.o.x.s.t.e.r. :v:

ozziegt
Jul 8, 2005

cool under pressure

Replica Kill posted:

I don't know anything about photography, but ozziegt is right, the technique is called "HDR".

Here's the photographer's website, etc. in case you want to get in touch with him: http://sjbvision.com. I'm surprised he put my car on the site, it's in the HDR section along with some other cars, an SR71 and a SPACE SHUTTLE!

Well, there is a lot of HDR photography and most of it is crap (look a few posts up). I'm not really into HDR, but I would love to be able to get that effect.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

Das Volk posted:

I think the M3 deserves a photo or two like this.

NO car deserves a picture like that. :colbert:
That is the :rice: version of HDR photography.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Baby Hitler posted:

I'd arrest you too for taking a picture that terrible.

I know! This was the only one that even remotely came out. I spent all of 90 seconds setting up before the police showed up; I'm guessing they were nearby and saw me park.

sw0cb posted:

What do those run in the 1/4 mile?

My best was 14.8 when I just had a short ram intake, but I'm not much into drag racing, so I'd assume a well-versed driver could get mid to low 14s with a bolt-on or two. It's still a Civic in that regard.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

enojy posted:

My best was 14.8 when I just had a short ram intake, but I'm not much into drag racing, so I'd assume a well-versed driver could get mid to low 14s with a bolt-on or two. It's still a Civic in that regard.

Needs more boost.

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

dissss posted:

Out of curiosity: Did it set the airbags off?
No, there wasn't any exceptional acceleration - I was slowing down gradually because I had lifted off but that's it. I don't really want to think about what would have happened had the airbags deployed. I'd probably be dead.

You Am I posted:

Ah, well if it hit the roof hard enough, then that'll screw up the safety cell for the passengers.
To be honest I don't really remember much about the roof. The kangaroo incident was 2006, I think - so I guess I drove the car for a further three years after being fixed. My theory is that the tail hit, as the dent was quite long but not very wide.

After we hit it, I kept driving. I was only five minutes from home and I wasn't going to stop on the freeway at 3am in the dark, and the car didn't freak out much apart from the headlights pointing in different directions. I got the car home, which wasn't all that good because it just dropped coolant all over my driveway and was very annoying to get towed out of there the following day.

I'm very glad that we had swapped drivers about two hours previously. My friend who had been driving would have freaked out after hitting a kangaroo. I've hit so many different animals so many times... I don't freak out as much.

Finch! fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jul 23, 2009

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Scientifically proven to be more fuel efficient than hybrids!

Replica Kill posted:

Dear God.

Please tell me none of you want to actually reproduce this photo with your own cars, Jesus. There are much, much better ways to put together an HDR shot and have it look 100x better.

bung posted:

That is the :rice: version of HDR photography.

Pretty much this.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Or you could just take a good photo of it and not have to make your car look fake to be cool. I really hate 95% of HDR photography and this is a prime example. Exposure blending is fine because the eye sees a bigger range of light than a camera does anyway, but HDR is way beyond that. This isn't even a photo any more.

Hatebreed
Aug 31, 2006

by angerbot

Steve. posted:

gently caress you for even being able to get the R36. Please post pictures :D

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

rockcity posted:

Or you could just take a good photo of it and not have to make your car look fake to be cool. I really hate 95% of HDR photography and this is a prime example. Exposure blending is fine because the eye sees a bigger range of light than a camera does anyway, but HDR is way beyond that. This isn't even a photo any more.

Auto photography is what killed HDR for me. I think I've seen one, maybe two good HDR car photos. The rest are just horrible.

edit: Case in point: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stits/2989809531/

DropShadow fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jul 23, 2009

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

rockcity posted:

This isn't even a photo any more.

But it is art, and art is subjective. The performance aspects of cars are objective, it's either fast or it's not. Aesthetics and photography styles are subjective, some people like them and some people don't. Saying you don't like it is fine, saying that it's wrong is another matter. Most of us share the opinion that the picture of a civic above is not a good picture, but it's still just an opinion however popular it may be. At any rate, don't we have a subforum to discuss this sort of thing?

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE
We have a thread over in CC for only HDR photography and theres a tutorial in the OP about how to do it.

Its really not hard at all http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2568111

ozziegt
Jul 8, 2005

cool under pressure

rockcity posted:

This isn't even a photo any more.

That's kind of the point.

KickStand posted:

We have a thread over in CC for only HDR photography and theres a tutorial in the OP about how to do it.

Its really not hard at all http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2568111

I think I need to hang out over there because it seems like the photographers over here are a bunch of prudes.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
Art is subjective, but talk to any photographer, or probably any artist worth their salt, and they will tell you that that is not good photography. It might be subjective, but there is still such a thing as objectively good and bad art (I guess that is technically my opinion, but your really splitting hairs if you want to get into that).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

polydizzle
Sep 13, 2004
http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm80/charliehustlee/soobie004.jpg

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm80/charliehustlee/soobie005.jpg

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm80/charliehustlee/soobie007.jpg

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm80/charliehustlee/soobie001.jpg

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm80/charliehustlee/soobie002.jpg

03 wrx wagon. Got it about 8 months ago with 60k and then promptly put 20k on it. Oops.

Nothing to crazy at the moment, momo steering wheel and shift nob, 17's, turbo back exhaust + front and rear sway bars. Looking to get it tuned and get some STI/STP aesthetic additions in the near future.

I love this car and will probably stick with subaru for a long time. Great car all around. Wish I had an sti though :O

loving photobucket not saving the blackout on my lp. brb.

polydizzle fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jul 23, 2009