Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

I GOT CRABBY ABOUT PHONE GAMING

The Mash posted:

Chuck is the best show on TV, put it top of all the lists right now

I've been trying to convince people of this all year long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Watson
Oct 28, 2003
I could have missed it, but I haven't see Eli Stone get much loving in this thread. My wife and I have almost finished season 1 over the last week or two, and it is pretty good so far. Somewhat episodic, but it has a lot of charm.

Prophet 60091
Sep 28, 2007

The lucky person wins a free plate of their choice.
BSG (two and a half times in a row)
Little Britain
Dead Like Me (just the first season)
Curb your Enthusiasm (all episodes back to back)
Lost (except the last season)
Heroes (except the last season)
Dr. Who / Torchwood
Big Love (except the last season)

waar
Sep 29, 2001

Prophet 60091 posted:

Big Love (except the last season)

haha what?

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
I burned through the first season of Heroes in two and a half days and really enjoyed it. I then tried watching the second season but got bored around the fifth episode. Seeing people's comments on the third and fourth season, I'm just not very encouraged to continue.

I'm ill right now, which means Twilight Zone-marathons all day and Night Court-marathons all night.

Prophet 60091
Sep 28, 2007

The lucky person wins a free plate of their choice.

waar posted:

haha what?

Oh I just checked wikipedia.. I thought there were 4 seasons. I guess I have seen everything so far.

waar
Sep 29, 2001

Prophet 60091 posted:

Oh I just checked wikipedia.. I thought there were 4 seasons. I guess I have seen everything so far.

Oh I thought you were saying not to watch the last season

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Just finished the four regular seasons of Blackadder (not counting the "Christmas Carol" and "Back and Forth" specials) and I don't know what it is... during the last two minutes of the final episode I always seem to get something in my eye.
So very strange...

One of the best and most powerful final moments of any series, hands down.

Probably not as powerful out of context, but here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ba-64h6d6Q

(It's from 1989... Hugh Laurie was 3o years old at the time.
Nine years younger than I am now. That feels so very, very weird...)

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
I just binged through all 10 episodes of Castle so far. I wanted to see how well Nathan Fillion would do outside of Firefly, and he's performed admirably(no, I didn't watch Drive). Also, I'm now in love with Stana Katic, and I'm looking forward to season 2.

AN AOL CHAT ROOM
Feb 22, 2003

Power-shovelling fat turds into my cock busted syphilitic maw. Like a fat cunt shovels doughnuts. The resulting turds from my hemorrhoid infested goat fucked ass are pure gold compared to my shitting posts.
I'm starting on Curb Your Enthusiasm. I've only watched the first DVD of the first season and I already love it, but I also know that had I been in Larry David's position in many of the situations involving easily-offended drama queens flailing in histrionics, the show would have been called Justifiable Homicide. Looks like I'm in for a :argh: FUN RIDE! :argh:

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

HOLY SHITBALLS! posted:

I'm starting on Curb Your Enthusiasm. I've only watched the first DVD of the first season and I already love it, but I also know that had I been in Larry David's position in many of the situations involving easily-offended drama queens flailing in histrionics, the show would have been called Justifiable Homicide. Looks like I'm in for a :argh: FUN RIDE! :argh:

Curb is one of my favorite shows, both for Larry's questioning of stupid societal norms and just the general fun vibe you get from the improving. It's like watching friends hang out and shoot the poo poo about stupid stuff.

In that misanthropic vein, I am storming through It's Always Sunny. It reminds me of a cross between Strangers With Candy and Curb, which is completely up my alley. I guess I just like shows about awful people who never learn any life lessons.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Admiral Bosch posted:

I just binged through all 10 episodes of Castle so far. I wanted to see how well Nathan Fillion would do outside of Firefly, and he's performed admirably(no, I didn't watch Drive). Also, I'm now in love with Stana Katic, and I'm looking forward to season 2.

What's it like? I remember reading somewhere that it's just a normal episodic police procedural with a quirky detective that uses a gimmick to be really good at solving crimes?

I really can't stand that formula, to the point where I can't even watch The Mentalist or Life which apparenlty get rave reviews. So is it like them or is it different?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I saw a couple episodes of Castle, it's nothing special and I think the only reason a lot of people here watch it is for Nathan Fillion. Not that there is much wrong with that, I'm watching a terrible show called the Philanthropist because it has Mark Antony from Rome.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jul 23, 2009

JustV
Apr 23, 2008

Only Literally On Fire

Just binged through the second season of Pushing Daisies. The final minutes are an unbelievable tour (complete with Jim Dale's narration) through the utterly fantastic universe the show created. It's absolutely heartbreaking knowing that it's gone yet somehow uplifting at the same time. Bryan Fuller, my hat is off to you.

I also now believe that the cancellation and horrible treatment of Pushing Daisies in its final days may be official proof that television network executives have no souls (I'd always assumed this to be true, but it's nice to have some proof).

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Mu Zeta posted:

I saw a couple episodes of Castle, it's nothing special and I think the only reason a lot of people here watch it is for Nathan Fillion. Not that there is much wrong with that, I'm watching a terrible show called the Philanthropist because it has Mark Antony from Rome.

That's pretty much true, although Castle isn't terrible at all. Without Fillion I never would've watched it, but he is just a really entertaining guy, and his chemistry with both Stana Katic and the girl who plays his daughter makes the show a lot of fun to watch.

Leviathan
Oct 8, 2001

I hear the jury's
still out.. on science.
Fun Shoe

JustV posted:

Bryan Fuller, my hat is off to you.

Goddammit why do all his shows get canceled? BTW, watch Wonderfalls.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I just blew through all of Psych..is that show still going? What an incredibly well written show.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Thanks to Hulu (who I am now hopelessly enamored with), I've given Stargate SG-1 a try, and I now hate myself for missing out on this show. I can't explain why I never picked it up earlier, since I loved Stargate when it came out in the theater. Currently trying to locate Season 6, since Hulu currently only has 1-5 online. The episode where Daniel dies made me cry so much, I'm glad I was alone when I saw it.
I've never encountered a series where I fell in love with every character, even the bad guys (Mayborn rocks, I'd love to see a spinoff with just him and Jack teaming up). Star Trek: DS9 came close, but even the characters on there, no matter how much I liked them, would annoy the piss out of me at some point or another by behaving out-of-character.
So yeah, I highly recommend this series to anyone looking for good sci-fi that's not a Star Trek ripoff. I just hope Stargate: Atlantis is at least in the same ballpark as SG-1, I feel like I'm going to be pretty let down though. :smith:

I also watched Firefly on Hulu, and was awestruck enough that I'm considering checking out Whedon's other work, but I'm not sure about Buffy, the few bits of episode I've managed to see always seemed kinda stupid.

Organic Lube User fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Jul 23, 2009

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

LorneReams posted:

I just blew through all of Psych..is that show still going? What an incredibly well written show.

It's coming back next month.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

TheTarrasque posted:

I also watched Firefly on Hulu, and was awestruck enough that I'm considering checking out Whedon's other work, but I'm not sure about Buffy, the few bits of episode I've managed to see always seemed kinda stupid.

It's quite possible to like Firefly and still have disinterest and disdain for Buffy, etc.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

The quality of the episodes in Buffy (and Angel) swings wildly between brilliant and terrible. The bad epsiodes do tend to a come across a little better when you're watching them as part of the season-long arc though, rather than watching them out of context. Season 1 of Buffy is kind of bad, 2-4 are the best so if you do plan to start with it you can easily start there.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
They just put Spaced on Hulu. I've been dying to watch this forever, so that's my new binge, I'll get back to the IT Crowd next weekend after I obsessively watch Spaced every free minute this weekend.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Still working my way through Babylon 5 but I'm finding it's not binge-friendly so far, so it's slow going.

I decided I needed a half-hour comedy so I started How I Met Your Mother. Liking it so far and it gets a few good laughs out of me every episode. It's not as consistently hilarious as AD or some of the other comedies I watch but it's funny. My only gripe is that I really hate the laugh track. It's such an outdated thing to use on sitcoms nowadays, and now that I've seen so many well-made comedies without them it's kind of 4th-wall-breaking to watch one again.

[edit]I think I'd like it more if I didn't think Ted was such a douchebag. If he becomes more likeable and/or his personality becomes the butt of jokes I'll enjoy his scenes more. I like the other characters though.

Bonk fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jul 23, 2009

Cherokee Jack
Dec 27, 2005

Just got season 1 of The Wire yesterday ($20!) and I'm starting disc 3 right away.

Holy poo poo, this is loving awesome television. Directing, acting, writing, everything. It's just fantastic. Nothing more I can really say except gently caress.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006

Bonk posted:

[edit]I think I'd like it more if I didn't think Ted was such a douchebag. If he becomes more likeable and/or his personality becomes the butt of jokes I'll enjoy his scenes more. I like the other characters though.

I have always disliked Ted. HIMYM has always been the Marshmellow and Barney show for me.

I finished Avatar: The Last Airbender tonight, and loved it so much. I don't care how corny his jokes were, Sokka always managed to crack me up.

My roommate and I have watched Oz 3 or 4 times together. Whenever I see people recommend it, I wonder if they rewatched any of it. It's really not a good show when you look back on it. A printing press?? I'd watch it again if we could make our own Rifftrax of it probably.

I quit playing WoW recently, and have been looking for a show to keep me entertained during my nights on the road. I've started The Wire for the 3rd time. Hopefully I can make it past episode 4 this time around.

Edit: Oh and according to wikipedia, while HIMYM isn't filmed in front of a live audience, it doesn't use a laugh track either. Supposedly the completed show is screened for an audience, and the laughter is recorded for broadcast. Was news to me too.

canyonero fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jul 24, 2009

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

Bonk posted:

There's no doubt Ted is a douche, but I think they're starting to acknowledge that in show so it looks to be building for a storyline.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

canyonero posted:

I have always disliked Ted. HIMYM has always been the Marshmellow and Barney show for me.

And Robin. The best way for HIMYM to end would be Ted and Lily running off together and Barney, Marshall and Robin moving to somewhere zany and having more crazy adventures.

I'm almost finished watching Andy Richter controls the universe and it's hilarious, it reminds me of Scrubs, but probably because of the fantasy sequences.

So next I'm thinking of catching Better Off Ted, although Andy Barker P.I. is intriguing.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Apr 10, 2007

You have no fucking idea how hungry I am
I just started binging Press Gang, any other old school Steven Moffat fans out there?

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Smorgasbord posted:

There's no doubt Ted is a douche, but I think they're starting to acknowledge that in show so it looks to be building for a storyline.

Robin also calls it on him several times. It's one thing we couldn't stand watching the show was Ted being a douche.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
Watching Arrested Development for the first time at the moment and kinda binging my way through it at the moment. It's hilarious and I'm a little annoyed that I've left it this long until I started to watch it.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car
So i have been trying to save money, and decided that for a few days i will be a shut-in and catch up on all the series and movies that i missed whilst at uni.

So far:

Dexter: Was always high on my list, knew about the premise and knew it was good, didnt know it was THIS good though.

The goode family - only seen the first episode but im going to give this a shot. so far, im not overly impressed, yet im not utterly appalled it has potential.

10 things i hate about you - yes its lovely teen family comedy with lame drama involved, yes its stereotypical high school movie teens (who's characters i think, dont actually exist in real life...anywhere) but its cheesy and i enjoy it.

Weeds Season 5: mexican drug lords, pregnancy's, the general lee!, mary lousie parker lookin smokin as ever. cant beat it.

TRAILER PARK BOYS
"Two smokes trevor, lets go"
BRILLIANT

Tiburon541
Jul 22, 2009
Got to agree on Dexter -- got Seasons 1 and 2 and had both completed in 3 days. REALLY good stuff.

Recently picked up the first 2 seasons of Weeds as well. So far, so good. Didn't realize the episodes were only 30 mins long. Both of these shows I'd definitely recommend.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Tiburon541 posted:

Recently picked up the first 2 seasons of Weeds as well. So far, so good. Didn't realize the episodes were only 30 mins long. Both of these shows I'd definitely recommend.

Weeds and Entourage are two shows that almost more than any other really lend themselves to being marathoned. The episodes are over almost in the blink of an eye. For me at least, trying to watch these weekly, is like getting a single, small bite of a piece of chocolate cake and then all of the sudden the rest just disappears.

The all time worst for me though is 24. I only ever watch that in marathons otherwise I start punching stuff.

dog with eyebrows
Feb 19, 2005

Cherokee Jack posted:

Just got season 1 of The Wire yesterday ($20!) and I'm starting disc 3 right away.

Holy poo poo, this is loving awesome television. Directing, acting, writing, everything. It's just fantastic. Nothing more I can really say except gently caress.

Yes!! I've watched the whole series three times. I even named my cats Jimmy and Kima. My cat is a drunk womanizer.

I just started Jericho last night by chance when I was going through Netflix and seeing what was streaming for free. It's addictive as hell, I'm on episode 7 and I can't stop. I'm not a big fan of the Hawkins storyline yet but I'm sticking it out. I know this show ended before it finished its full second season, I'm really hoping they wrap it up and give an acceptable degree of closure rather than an awful cliffhanger with no resolution.

My friends are trying to convince me to start watching True Blood. I watched an episode and was totally confused by the sheer number of crazy supernatural things that were happening. They promise me it's great because it's so bad. We'll see. :(

hypnorotic
May 4, 2009
I just finished Entourage and The Wire, and am now binging through The Sopranos.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Still plowing through HIMYM and I just got to the "Slap Bet" episode, and read afterward that it's already been revisited in the show. That has to be the greatest subplot ever. Since Marshal apparently has a couple left, I hope the final slap comes in the series finale.

Ted's more tolerable in the second season too. I guess he's less douchey when he has a steady girlfriend.

BostonCreamTerrier posted:

I just started Jericho last night by chance when I was going through Netflix and seeing what was streaming for free. It's addictive as hell, I'm on episode 7 and I can't stop. I'm not a big fan of the Hawkins storyline yet but I'm sticking it out. I know this show ended before it finished its full second season, I'm really hoping they wrap it up and give an acceptable degree of closure rather than an awful cliffhanger with no resolution.
I envy you. If you're addicted by episode 7, holy poo poo. The first block of episodes is the part that most people thought sucked when it was airing, because the network mandated a bunch of family drama. After that they let the writers do their own thing, and generally people considered the good part of the show episode 8 and beyond, all the way up to the end. After that it keeps ramping up the awesomeness and never stops.

And yes, the ending is pretty conclusive. There's definitely room for more, but it resolves itself pretty nicely. The last two episodes in particular are loving amazing. It didn't end before finishing it's "full second season" either; it actually only got a 7-episode order for the second season, so everything is really fast-paced and written tightly. If you like the earliest episodes you're in for a real treat.

Bonk fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Jul 27, 2009

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

Bonk posted:

Still plowing through HIMYM and I just got to the "Slap Bet" episode, and read afterward that it's already been revisited in the show. That has to be the greatest subplot ever. Since Marshal apparently has a couple left, I hope the final slap comes in the series finale.

Ted's more tolerable in the second season too. I guess he's less douchey when he has a steady girlfriend.

I envy you. If you're addicted by episode 7, holy poo poo. The first block of episodes is the part that most people thought sucked when it was airing, because the network mandated a bunch of family drama. After that they let the writers do their own thing, and generally people considered the good part of the show episode 8 and beyond, all the way up to the end. After that it keeps ramping up the awesomeness and never stops.

And yes, the ending is pretty conclusive. There's definitely room for more, but it resolves itself pretty nicely. The last two episodes in particular are loving amazing. It didn't end before finishing it's "full second season" either; it actually only got a 7-episode order for the second season, so everything is really fast-paced and written tightly. If you like the earliest episodes you're in for a real treat.

I loved Jericho at first but gradually lost interest after each episode until I didn't really care that it got cancelled. Also gently caress them for killing off Johnston

Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

I'm midway through season 4 of Six Feet Under now. I'm really falling in love with the show. I don't know... I just really like it. It's not all cliff hangery, or plot twist after plot twisty. It's just characters and I really enjoy that. Or Maybe I just have a crush on Claire. :o

Candy Dawn
Aug 7, 2007

Ponsuke-san!!
I bought my husband all 5 seasons of Babylon 5 for Christmas and he finally started watching it and had me sit in on it too. I joked about the lovely graphics but we're halfway thru season 1 and I'm having way too much fun with this series. I am happy now we have all the seasons so we can move on to Season 2 immediately!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

^^^^
Oh man. Oh man, if you both have gotten past the dated production values, then season 2 starts to really ramp up the arcs. Seasons 2-4 are gold.

And to the goon that just can't get started on The Wire, you better have some good reasons as to why.