Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

camuk19 posted:

Errrr, so I know nothing about the four trillion different genres of metal, but I like a decent bit of melodic stuff, and basically anything with some sort of crazy guitar work in. A sample of the bands I listen to is Bal-Sagoth, Wintersun, Dream Theater, Symphony X, Protest The Hero, Opeth, In Flames, Mastodon etc.

The main genres you should be looking at are progressive/power metal(particularly modern stuff), and melodic death metal. For the latter, look for bands who came out of Gothenburg, Sweden from the mid 90's onwards(or are compared to In Flames, Soilwork, Dark Tranquillity, (later) At the Gates, or Arch Enemy), and probably the newer stuff coming out of Finland - that's Children of Bodom, Kalmah, Norther, and Insomnium.

I feel weird about not recommending anything I actually like or listen to so I'll point you to a few MDM bands that I like and you might enjoy as well.

Eucharist:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fv7NGXvFlwY
Their first album leans a little more to the rawer, more black metal side of their sound. This song is off of their second album, which is cleaner and has a little bit of Gothenburg influence.

Dissection:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNOVgsYqsZk
Later albums are more death metal, but my favorite from them is their first, The Somberlain.

Sacramentum:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFxsnxA-pYI
Same basic deal as Dissection: they lean death metal later on, I personally recommend the early stuff.

I understand that linking you things with blast beats and (by comparison) kind of rough production might not be particularly helpful to you, but give them a shot anyway. You never know.

One more, not usually classified as melodic death metal so not associated with the stuff I've been talking about but you'd probably like them. Disincarnate:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTHXHVflB6Y
Disincarnate was sort of like a solo project for James Murphy, a famous death metal guitarist. You can hear a lot of inspiration from Human-era Death in here, which makes sense since he played in Death for a short time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

PatronSaintONothing posted:

I'm looking for solo acoustic guitar similar to Kaki King, Sir Richard Bishop, James Blackshaw, etc. Not a huge fan of new age-y poo poo, but I'll try anything once. Suggestions?

He's definitely a bit on the new age side of things, but Michael Hedges really was a tremendous talent and I think anyone interested in acoustic guitar should at least give him a shot. I also definitely hear similarities in his and Kaki King's style, so if you already enjoy her work I think there's a good chance you could get into Hedges. Aerial Boundaries is probably the best album to investigate first.

Edit: Correcting a little mistake - Aerial Boundaries was Hedges' second album, not his first.

Cyne fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jul 15, 2009

Bean_
Oct 6, 2006

by Ozma

camuk19 posted:

Errrr, so I know nothing about the four trillion different genres of metal, but I like a decent bit of melodic stuff, and basically anything with some sort of crazy guitar work in. A sample of the bands I listen to is Bal-Sagoth, Wintersun, Dream Theater, Symphony X, Protest The Hero, Opeth, In Flames, Mastodon etc. Other stuff not metal such as Fall of Troy, QOTSA, Interpol, Flaming Lips I enjoy to get a sense of what I think is decent. Most of those bands probably sound generic to you lot but i'd appriciate any recommendations you guys have as i'm a little lost with all these genres to pick from.

You sound a lot like me.

As for metal, try:
At the Gates
Atreyu
Bury Your Dead
Children of Bodom
Chimaira
Cult of Luna
Dark Tranquility
Devin Townsend
Devin Townsend Band
Disarmonia Mundi
Disfear
Disillusion
Hypocrisy
Iron Maiden
Kataonia
Killswitch Engage
Lacuna Coil
Nightwish
Ram Zet
Soilwork
Sonata Arctica
Strapping Young Lad

As for some other stuff you might be into:
Alexisonfire
Break the Silence
HORSE the band

See my posts in the last couple of pages for links to several of these band's videos that I recommend!

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
Afrobeat & Juju(beat). Already gotta a lot of Fela Kuti and Sunny Ade. (And Shina Peters, but the keyboards and production always bug me.) Anyway, recommended afrobeat revival or og groups? Needs nasty horns, funky bass, long groove. So the more funk & soul influence the better (for now). Already know Antibalas and Kokolo.

Links to mixes & blogs, too, please. (gently caress, while we're at it latin deep funk that's not Budos / Bronx River Parkway / Daptone etc.)

plogo
Jan 20, 2009
Strut and Soundway have both released a bunch of good comps, academy is rereleasing a bunch of rare african lps, pitchfork made a list of 100 tunes etc etc...

Also check out the blogs http://analogafrica.blogspot.com/ and http://voodoofunk.blogspot.com/ .

Voodoo funk has the deepest and best cuts but its all in mixed form. If you just want one comp or something I'd probably recommend the strut compilation nigeria 70.

Also Kon and Amir's off track and kings of diggin compilations have a few african joints that I'd never heard elsewhere. For example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Odg9-4QAe1g

I'm not as familiar with latin funk, but I have the compilation fania released relatively recently (last year?) I get kinda bored by most deep funk compilations and this was more or less the case with the fania comp, but if you're totally clueless that's a starting point.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I love Marc Ribot's guitar work on Tom Waits' albums. What is his best "introductory level" solo album, if there is one? I'm not a big fan of noisy free jazz, but I'm up for almost anything else.

Jadz
Jan 8, 2004

Stuck in the middle with you.

camuk19 posted:

Errrr, so I know nothing about the four trillion different genres of metal, but I like a decent bit of melodic stuff, and basically anything with some sort of crazy guitar work in. A sample of the bands I listen to is Bal-Sagoth, Wintersun, Dream Theater, Symphony X, Protest The Hero, Opeth, In Flames, Mastodon etc. Other stuff not metal such as Fall of Troy, QOTSA, Interpol, Flaming Lips I enjoy to get a sense of what I think is decent. Most of those bands probably sound generic to you lot but i'd appriciate any recommendations you guys have as i'm a little lost with all these genres to pick from.

Listen to Bean_, he's got good taste :) I linked to some examples of most of that stuff a few pages back: try here, here, here and here.

Hope this helps, melodic metal's a great genre :)

axynn
Sep 11, 2001

http://www.dourfestival.be/en/2009/byday

I'm going fri-sat-sun, I'm sad I had to miss seeing Chase&Status, Dr lektroluv, MSTRKRFT and Noisia on thursday. On saturday I'm ashamed to admit I only know the big mainstream "last arena" bands, 65dos and roots manuva...so recommend me bands!

Two years ago dour's highlights for me were superlux, dj feadz and vitalic...I also enjoyed otto von schirach

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

axynn posted:

http://www.dourfestival.be/en/2009/byday

I'm going fri-sat-sun, I'm sad I had to miss seeing Chase&Status, Dr lektroluv, MSTRKRFT and Noisia on thursday. On saturday I'm ashamed to admit I only know the big mainstream "last arena" bands, 65dos and roots manuva...so recommend me bands!

Two years ago dour's highlights for me were superlux, dj feadz and vitalic...I also enjoyed otto von schirach

What a line-up. I would see:

Mercury Rev, Rinôçérôse, Mad Professor, Richard Devine, Pet Shop Boys, Black Milk, Jazzanova, EPMD, Bogdan Raczynski, Aphex Twin + Hecker, Luke Slater, Venetian Snares.

do it to julia
Jun 19, 2009

by Fistgrrl
I don't know if anyone has any exposure to Arabic music I just heard of Souad Massi and fallen in love with her. She's Algerian, and was in a political punk rock group that got death threats there and forced her to flee to France. This is one of my favorite song by her, in Algerian Arabic a dialect which I don't understand at all but it's beautiful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQjYpWfk4-c

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Bean_ posted:

I'm looking for some more stuff along the lines of
Circa Surive

I'm already a fan of Saosin, and dig Anberlin's "New Surrender" as well as Coheed and Cambria's debut album (jury is still out on this). I've also heard a few things from Choidos and Sounds of Animals Fighting, both of which have been hit/miss with what I've heard.

Thanks.

You should try Edison Glass. They're kinda like a combination of Circa Survive and As Tall As Lions. Also, I know they don't really sound alike but it seems most people who like Circa Survive also like Thrice. I'd recommend their latest couple releases to start.

Try these too:
Rx Bandits - ...And the Battle Begun
Dredg (I don't really dig 'em but I can see why many people do)
Minus the Bear - Highly Refined Pirates
Portugal. The Man

I'm sure I could come up with more, but that's a decent start.
e: I missed the 'don't' about Thrice. Oops.

Hooplah fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Jul 22, 2009

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
What are other online streaming stations that have mixsets of big techno DJs other than BBC's Radio 1 and France's Radio FG? House and electro sets in particular.

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

di.fm ... there's a ton of sites with better dj mixes and more genres but they're usually podcasts or downloads rather than streaming

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

etard knievel posted:

di.fm ... there's a ton of sites with better dj mixes and more genres but they're usually podcasts or downloads rather than streaming

This is really the only reasonable choice. Over two dozen different genre choices, live DJs all the time, a really really good station.

Bean_
Oct 6, 2006

by Ozma

Hooplah posted:

You should try Edison Glass. They're kinda like a combination of Circa Survive and As Tall As Lions. Also, I know they sound really sound alike but it seems most people who like Circa Survive also like Thrice. I'd recommend their latest couple releases to start.

Try these too:
Rx Bandits - ...And the Battle Begun
Dredg (I don't really dig 'em but I can see why many people do)
Minus the Bear - Highly Refined Pirates
Portugal. The Man

I'm sure I could come up with more, but that's a decent start.

Thanks. I shall begin listening tomorrow :)

Oddly enough Amazon has a song of their's (Portugal) as the free song download today. Dug it a good bit. :)

Bean_ fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jul 21, 2009

borapt
Jul 14, 2008
Electro/Nu-Jazz. Very specifically, something like Parov Stelar's work, even more specifically the more upbeat/dance oriented stuff. Like "Monster" or "Brisky Business."

Thanks! Sorry it's so narrow, I haven't quite been able to find more stuff that's similar, mostly more lounge sounding music.

teexas
Apr 13, 2007

I'm a huge fan of Okkervil River - anyone know of other bands that are similar?

Not just folksy but bands that are folksy and rock out quite a bit.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007

"etard knievel [i posted:

and[/i] the"]
di.fm

Thanks for the recommendation, there's some pretty good stuff on here.

FuzzyWuzzy
Jul 16, 2009
:dukedog:
Need some recommendation, My favorite bands are Green Day, Reel Big Fish, Tool, and Red Hot Chili Peppers.

It might be hard to recommend to me, cause' I like a lot of different stuff

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

FuzzyWuzzy posted:

Need some recommendation, My favorite bands are Green Day, Reel Big Fish, Tool, and Red Hot Chili Peppers.

It might be hard to recommend to me, cause' I like a lot of different stuff
I recommend you stop making lovely posts in this forum.

FuzzyWuzzy
Jul 16, 2009
:dukedog:

het posted:

I recommend you stop making lovely posts in this forum.

I don't understand what I did....

I was just asking for a recommendation...

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
I liked the silversun pickups song in rockband, and then I heard one song on the radio I liked.. I guess I'll go around youtube and itunes and such to find some stuff, but what are some songs/albums that fans would recommend over others?

double edit: well I guess my post falls under "make fun of me" as per the OP so go ahead I guess I deserved it. I'll research myself then

Turkeybone fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jul 23, 2009

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Turkeybone posted:

I liked the silversun pickups song in rockband, and then I heard one song on the radio I liked.. I guess I'll go around youtube and itunes and such to find some stuff, but what are some songs/albums that fans would recommend over others?

Dude, they have two albums. Are you that worried about choosing the wrong one?

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can someone recommend good Trip-Hop/Electronic Jazz bands like Bitter:Sweet, Lovage and Portishead?

I'm looking for something with a female singer, and with all that pompous elegant theme. Bitter:Sweet is my favorite band right now and I'm afraid I've already heard too much of their only two albums.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Elentor posted:

Can someone recommend good Trip-Hop/Electronic Jazz bands like Bitter:Sweet, Lovage and Portishead?

I'm looking for something with a female singer, and with all that pompous elegant theme. Bitter:Sweet is my favorite band right now and I'm afraid I've already heard too much of their only two albums.
You named three of my favorites. I love them, and Bitter:Sweet has been one of my greatest musical discoveries of the last few years. Shana Halligan, Jennifer Charles, and Beth Gibbons have some of the sexiest voices ever!

Have you tried Imogen Heap yet? She has two solo albums with a third one on the way, but the second one, Speak For Yourself, is much better than the first. Imogen has another fantastic album, Details, released under the band name Frou Frou. Her stuff is much more electronic-sounding than Portishead's genre-defining trip-hop and Bitter:Sweet's retro lounge sound, but you still might like it.

Also, definitely try Goldfrapp. The best Goldfrapp albums for capturing the lush, sexy sound we like are the first and fourth, Felt Mountain and Seventh Tree. Their second and third albums are much more like pulsing dance pop that belongs in a strip club.

More random songs to sample:
Massive Attack - "Teardrop"
Sneaker Pimps - "6 Underground"
Zero 7 - "In the Waiting Line"
Shivaree - "Goodnight Moon"
Psapp - "Cosy in the Rocket"

And as weird as it might sound, Scarlett Johansson's 2008 album of Tom Waits covers, Anywhere I Lay My Head, is more or less in this style as well.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Elentor posted:

Air

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Does Squarepusher count as electronic jazz? Cause it's awesome, get it anyway.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thanks for the suggestions, I took a look at the recommendations.

Imogen Heap - Really enjoyed it! Good stuff.
Goldfrapp - Didn't enjoy much for some reason.
Sneaker Pimps - Awesome, more like what I was looking for.
Zero 7 - Good, not for my mood right now. I'll remember it for when my mood changes though.
Shivaree - Holy poo poo amazing.
Psapp - Didn't enjoy.

Air - Really couldn't enjoy it. Thanks for the suggestion though!

Squarepusher - A bit too... I don't know. Experimental maybe? Thanks though :)

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Elentor posted:

Thanks for the suggestions, I took a look at the recommendations.

Shivaree - Holy poo poo amazing.

Please tell me if you delve deeper into Shivaree's stuff. I only know that one song from the Kill Bill Volume 2 soundtrack. I love it, but I'd be very curious if their albums have a similar sound to them.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Elentor posted:

Olive
Fischerspooner
Tricky

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Lot of the big names hit already, but:

Elentor posted:

Sneaker Pimps - Awesome, more like what I was looking for.
The album 6 Underground is off of, Becoming X, is a classic in the genre and you should definitely get it. I like their other stuff too, but for some crazy reason they asked Kelli to leave after that and one of the guys sings. It's still good but it's a different sound.

You should also check out Morcheeba. They've been through several singers; Big Calm is generally considered their best, but most of their stuff is good. My three favorites are Big Calm, Who Can You Trust? and Dive Deep. The Antidote is decent but has a different sound and I don't like Charango very much.

I'm gonna try some of these other recommendations myself, there's a few I don't know in there. :)

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
I was at a lounge recently, and the DJ was playing a lot of what resembled Latin jazz but with hip-hop-esque beats backing it up. Pretty minimalist stuff, with some solo trumpet backed up by beats, etc.

Any recommendations for something loungey/jazzy with a Latin vibe and hip-hop beat track?

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

I was at a lounge recently, and the DJ was playing a lot of what resembled Latin jazz but with hip-hop-esque beats backing it up. Pretty minimalist stuff, with some solo trumpet backed up by beats, etc.

Any recommendations for something loungey/jazzy with a Latin vibe and hip-hop beat track?

For instrumental loungey stuff, try Amon Tobin and Bonobo. If you don't mind more upbeat music with rapping/singing, a lot of reggaeton uses jazzy samples. Other than that, unmm... i've heard some recent pop music from Brazil that influenced both by jazz like samba and bossanova with a hiphop or house beat, I don't know any particular artists but maybe you could just look up random stuff from the Brazilian pop/dance charts... Sergio Mendez and will.i.am released an album called Timeless that is a mix of hiphop and bossa, it's okay, but i'm sure there's better stuff out there if you dig.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

the posted:

Olive
Fischerspooner
Tricky

Olive... humm I'm mixed but I think it's good :)
Didn't like Fischerspooner.
And Tricky is awesome. Thanks!

quote:

The album 6 Underground is off of, Becoming X, is a classic in the genre and you should definitely get it. I like their other stuff too, but for some crazy reason they asked Kelli to leave after that and one of the guys sings. It's still good but it's a different sound.

You should also check out Morcheeba. They've been through several singers; Big Calm is generally considered their best, but most of their stuff is good. My three favorites are Big Calm, Who Can You Trust? and Dive Deep. The Antidote is decent but has a different sound and I don't like Charango very much.

Thanks, Morcheeba is great.

Man this thread has pretty much renewed my musical experience! I cannot thank you guys enough.

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

So, I've always been kind of a closet fan of flamenco and Spanish guitar (for the lack of a better term) and just recently I grabbed some stuff by Paco de Lucia and Rodrigo y Gabriela. I'm loving them both, but I really don't know where to go from here. I really don't know anything about the genre, any recommendations would be awesome.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Gerardo Nunez

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

We don't like it when the city light start fading
When the city lights fading then we can't get down

Elentor posted:

I'm tempted to recommend Lamb - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtIeH_J-SiI some of their songs might appeal to you more than others, but that song in particular is one of my favourites, ymmv :)

Tegan and Sankara
May 4, 2009

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

http://hypem.com/#/track/399980/The+Quantic+Soul+Orchestra+-+She+Said+What+

Quantic/The Quantic Soul Orchestra does a few other things similar to this, although I'd say this is the most obvious hip-hop mix (that and the song with Trinidad).

Not much help I know, but I'd like to find some more too so I guess I'm just throwing this in until someone else enlightens us :(

edit: wrong quote

Jul 11, 2003

by astral
Top 5 Regina Spektor songs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

5436 posted:

Top 5 Regina Spektor songs?
I'm confused, are you looking for a place to start with Regina Spektor or just curious about other people's opinions?