Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

LightsGameraAction posted:

What are some good Criterion sci-fi titles to pick up during the sale? I've already got Brazil, Vampyr, and Onibaba.

The Man Who Fell to Earth, All of Cronenberg's stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I'll second The Man Who Fell To Earth. That movie was unbelievable.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

It's one of those films that has a lot of flaws, but it actually adds to the experience. I'm looking forward to watching it again in Blu.

Just ordered Vampyr, the Louis Malle documentaries Eclipse, and the Jean Painleve collection. $77 shipped! $19.99 for Vampyr and Painleve, $31.99 (after the 20% off coupon) for Malle. Even if I don't like the latter two, I'll at least break even on a resell.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006
I forgot to mention I had The Man Who Fell To Earth on blu-ray. It is definitely one of the weirdest movies I've ever seen but I thoroughly enjoyed it and it looks great on blu-ray.

I'm not really sure how I feel about Vampyr. I think I need to watch it again, I was a little distracted the first time I was sitting through it. It definitely had a cool atmosphere to it, I just found it hard to follow at time. Still I kind of enjoy blind-buying criterions, I bought Onibaba, Brazil, and In the Mood for Love without knowing poo poo about them other than they were considered good movies and they all instantly became favorites.

The only criterion I ever regretted buying was Jigoku. I'll concede it may have just not been my bag, but that's weird since I love horror movies. I just found it a pretty boring movie until the end, which was so random and out-there compared to the rest of the movie.

Anyway, this time around I took you penismightier's advice and ordered Equinox, as well as 400 blows on blu-ray(replacing my standard def.) and El Norte(taking FitFortDanga's advice from earlier). Came to about $54 tax included, free shipping for all 3.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

LightsGameraAction posted:

Anyway, this time around I took you penismightier's advice and ordered Equinox

Word of advice: think of the whole two discs and the essays as a giant multi-media making of piece, with the film as a special feature. If you go in expecting a great film, you'll be disappointed; if you go in expecting an amazing story about the love of moviemaking, you'll be elated.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

penismightier posted:

Word of advice: think of the whole two discs and the essays as a giant multi-media making of piece, with the film as a special feature. If you go in expecting a great film, you'll be disappointed; if you go in expecting an amazing story about the love of moviemaking, you'll be elated.
I've seen the trailer for Equinox already, and I could swear I've seen a bit of it when I was younger, but I already know I'm not in for a great film. I've got a pretty high tolerance for much worse movies already anyway, but I'll definitely make sure to check out the special features, they sound right up my alley.

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

While not really traditional sci-fi films, both of Lars Von Triers available in the collection have sci-fi elements: The Element of Crime and Europa. They're very dystopian also. And very good, in my opinion.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

penismightier posted:

Yeah, Equinox is a very cheesy film (in a fun MST3K kind of way), but when you study the special effects and how they were pulled off you realize that it's a surprisingly clever picture. Very fun. :)

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

One thing I can't remember them addressing on the Equinox dvd, though, is how much Sam Raimi was inspired by it to do Evil Dead - it's about a few kids who go into the woods, find a magic book, and unleash hell in the form of overly ambitious special effects work. A lot of fun.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

penismightier posted:

One thing I can't remember them addressing on the Equinox dvd, though, is how much Sam Raimi was inspired by it to do Evil Dead - it's about a few kids who go into the woods, find a magic book, and unleash hell in the form of overly ambitious special effects work. A lot of fun.

I can't remember if they address that either, but they really don't need to. It's blatantly obvious that Sam Raimi watched himself a shitload of Equinox.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Oh poo poo, I accidentally ordered twice. I accidentally placed without the Painleve DVD and immediately canceled it so I could re-place. Now I'm getting two copies each of Vampyr and the Malle docs. :byodood:

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Egbert Souse posted:

Oh poo poo, I accidentally ordered twice. I accidentally placed without the Painleve DVD and immediately canceled it so I could re-place. Now I'm getting two copies each of Vampyr and the Malle docs. :byodood:

That shouldn't be hard to cancel. Otherwise I'll take them. :v:

I should have a little extra side money coming to me so I think I'm going to order Marienbad. We'll see.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Criminal Minded posted:

That shouldn't be hard to cancel. Otherwise I'll take them. :v:

I should have a little extra side money coming to me so I think I'm going to order Marienbad. We'll see.

They wouldn't let me cancel. It was $52 for the DVDs and it'll probably cost about $4 for me to ship, so is $56 shipped OK? I'll give you my Paypal address once it's delivered.

Otherwise, I'll put them on Amazon for marginally lower than their prices and make $50 more. :v:

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Haha, by "take" I mean that quite literally. I'm so broke. :( You should find a buyer on Amazon or eBay easy enough.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Criminal Minded posted:

Haha, by "take" I mean that quite literally. I'm so broke. :( You should find a buyer on Amazon or eBay easy enough.

Do you have anything to trade? I'd be happy to trade Vampyr for another Criterion or something. I'll even Paypal whatever it costs to ship.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
I'd have to browse, but I doubt I have anything you'd be terribly interested in that I want to part with. Somebody here can probably offer you better bang for your buck. Thanks for the offer though.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I like being generous to goons, though. :)

Really, the only things I'd refuse to trade for would be Michael Bay or Uwe Boll.

Didn't realize For All Mankind is $20 on Amazon (along with When We Left Earth), so I snatched that up when I found an old Coinstar Amazon certificate I got months ago.

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

poo poo. I've tried like hell to hold off, but I've finally given in to bn.com sale.

Thusfar I've ordered The Orphic Trilogy and The Last Metro BD, which total came to like $48 or something ridiculous. Probably going to order Science is Fiction and The Earrings of Madame de... next. Considering The 400 Blows BD too even though I own like three copies of the dvd already. Decisions, decisions.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

zeroordie posted:

Considering The 400 Blows BD too even though I own like three copies of the dvd already.

This is the one title where I've broken my "if it's worth owning, it's worth owning on Blu-Ray" rule. There's no way in hell I'm getting rid of the Doinel box (until they release the whole thing on BR) and I don't like having multiple copies of any movie. Even at a steal of a price, I just hate "clutter" in my collection.

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

FitFortDanga posted:

This is the one title where I've broken my "if it's worth owning, it's worth owning on Blu-Ray" rule. There's no way in hell I'm getting rid of the Doinel box (until they release the whole thing on BR) and I don't like having multiple copies of any movie. Even at a steal of a price, I just hate "clutter" in my collection.

Yeah I definitely can agree with that. I just question how long it will be until they rerelease the entire set, you know.

I'm trying to figure out the best scheme to order the Repulsion BD next, I think.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Any time you see Delekhan post, make this face and tell him how much he owns.

zeroordie posted:

I'm trying to figure out the best scheme to order the Repulsion BD next, I think.

You can't really go wrong with 50% off + extra 20% off + free expedited shipping + extra 10% off (for members)

With my B&N membership it's something like $15 shipped per movie. Repulsion here i come!

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

FitFortDanga posted:

I'm actually in the process of selling all my DVDs that are on BluRay and/or I already upgraded. Instead of having a bunch of copies of one movie, I'm simply making DVD-Rs to keep alongside the BluRays.

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

Merry Christmas Scary Wormhole!
Oooooohh! Do share for the too poor for Blu-Ray crowd.

Edit: Using puncuation.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
Just remember DVD-R's degrade over time no matter how good media you use. They wear out eventually even if you don't use them. I've taken to saving the .ISOs on a big external hard drive (not that it's perfect). Just thought I could help

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

Bambi posted:

You can't really go wrong with 50% off + extra 20% off + free expedited shipping + extra 10% off (for members)

With my B&N membership it's something like $15 shipped per movie. Repulsion here i come!

How'd you get the extra 20% off on a pre-order? I couldn't get that work.I'm not a member, so I'm averaging just around $16.44, which is totally cool with me.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Any time you see Delekhan post, make this face and tell him how much he owns.

zeroordie posted:

How'd you get the extra 20% off on a pre-order? I couldn't get that work.I'm not a member, so I'm averaging just around $16.44, which is totally cool with me.

You can't. Have to wait til the release date. Worth saving the few extra pennies imo :)

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Argh. Couldn't help myself and bought Berlin Alexanderplatz using the 20% coupon + Visa deal for around ~$50. Hope those 15 1/2 hours are worth it.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

I keep trying to get out but they pull me back in. :(

I got Andrei Rublev, For All Mankind, Solaris and The Hit. I'm tempted to buy The Rock somewhere just for shits and giggles.

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

Good call, Bambi. Apparently the 20% off coupons P3N9L8M and V7P9T8N expire at 2:59 am Eastern time, meaning if you want to order the BD of Repulsion, you have about an hour left to stack this discount on top of it it.

I just ordered it through the visa link, with the coupon; total with tax came to $16.44. hot. drat.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

Kerck Pnameless posted:

Berlin Alexanderplatz ... ~$50.
You tramp! I had to pay $90 for mine, that was when Amazon didn't even stock it and you had to go through their third parties.

FitFortDanga posted:

I'm so glad that I'm not the only one.

Right now my next Criterion purchase is going to be: Chungking Express BR, Pierrot le Fou BR, My Dinner with Andre. I've seen all of them and I've always been worried about making blind Criterion purchases. The only blinds I've made with them were Fanny & Alexander, Berlin Alexanderplatz, and the post-A&C stuff in the Doinel box. I've yet to be disappointed, but I think that's mainly luck.

Wolfgang Pauli fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Jul 28, 2009

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well thanks to this sale I now own all of the Criterion Blu-Rays, and I didn't even want El Norte or Benjamin Button. Just walked out of my local B&N with Repulsion for $13.80

It was the best of sales, it was the worst of sales.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Any takers for my extra Vampyr and Malle Documentaries Eclipse? $22.50 for Vampyr, $34.50 for the Malle. $57 for both. I got Vampyr today and the Malle is coming tomorrow.

Also, I watched The Seventh Seal and The Last Emperor in Blu over the weekend. Absolutely stunning... I couldn't believe how flawless TSS looked. And the 2:1 crop on TLE didn't seem to hurt the compositions at all.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
Argh... Don't wander into a B&N right now because it requires a Herculean effort to not buy Criterions (what with the sale near done). I got tagged for Ran and Rashomon. I know Rashomon is a good movie so I picked it up, but I grabbed the Essential Art version since I'm cheap. Is there anything of value on the full blown Criterion that I would miss?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

LaptopGun posted:

Argh... Don't wander into a B&N right now because it requires a Herculean effort to not buy Criterions (what with the sale near done). I got tagged for Ran and Rashomon. I know Rashomon is a good movie so I picked it up, but I grabbed the Essential Art version since I'm cheap. Is there anything of value on the full blown Criterion that I would miss?

Yeah quite a bit, actually. Like most Criterion Kurosawa's, it's got a commentary (with Donald Richie, one of the best). Other features:

* Video introduction by Robert Altman
* Excerpts from The World of Kazuo Miyagawa, a documentary film about Rashomon’s cinematographer
* Reprints of the Rashomon source stories, Ryunosuke Akutagawa’s “In a Grove” and “Rashomon”
* Akira Kurosawa on Rashomon: a reprinted excerpt from his book Something Like an Autobiography

Does the EAH version have the stories in the booklet?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

FitFortDanga posted:

Does the EAH version have the stories in the booklet?

I doubt it. Usually they'll have one essay and nothing else.

That being said, I love the Essential Art House series. I'm perfectly content with my barebones version of Wild Strawberries, and I didn't have to pay out the rear end in a top hat for it.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The EAH editions are a great idea. Since Grand Illusion and La Bete et la belle are quite likely BluRays for the near future, :10bux: movie-only editions are a great idea as interim discs.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Am I the only person who refuses to buy their SD stuff anymore now that they're releasing Blu-Rays? I just hate the idea of knowing that I'll inevitably double-dip :ohdear: Then again I haven't bought a single SD-DVD since I got a Blu-Ray player so I guess it has less to do with Criterion and more to do with me being a snob.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

doctor thodt posted:

Am I the only person who refuses to buy their SD stuff anymore now that they're releasing Blu-Rays? I just hate the idea of knowing that I'll inevitably double-dip :ohdear: Then again I haven't bought a single SD-DVD since I got a Blu-Ray player so I guess it has less to do with Criterion and more to do with me being a snob.

I'm picky for all studios, but I'm generally sticking out for anything post-1970. Before, I'm not holding my breath. Although, BFI and Masters of Cinema are real wild cards right now. We're getting Fritz Lang's Die Nibelungen, a 5 1/2 hr. silent epic, on BluRay next year from them.

On the other hand, Criterion and their :effort: upcoming Z DVD...

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006

doctor thodt posted:

No you're not, I'm like that too. I've stopped buying non-criterion regular dvds, hell I don't even rent them anymore. I'd rather have great picture quality from the on-demand (even though it isn't in the proper aspect ration sometimes :mad:Comcast:mad:). Criterion's are different though, I don't have a blu-ray drive in my computer and I usually listen to the Criterion commentaries while doing work so it does serve a purpose for me. I'd prefer blu but unless I'm sure it's coming out (like Gimme Shelter or Kwaiden) I'll just buy the standard dvd.

EDIT: Egbert, what's the best site to import MoC movies? Nosferatu on Blu is something I'd like to get. Also are the regular editions region free or region 2.

SneakySneaks fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jul 30, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001

doctor thodt posted:

I really want a Ble-Ray of La Haine. I hope it doesn't take too long for them to put that one out.