Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Twisted Aristocrat posted:

So I take it the offer finished early in the UK, because it's asking for £80 for the premium version now :/

Yes, there were a limited amount of copies for some reason and they've all sold out. Bit annoying when America's deal lasted the full 2 weeks while ours lasted little over 1, but I managed to get it pre-ordered the day the deal began. Better get it before next year though, as it'll be £150 then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

I haven't seen it mentioned in this thread yet so I figured some people would like to know. The latest beta release of ultramon adds a very nice working windows 7 toolbar!

edit: and a working "move to other monitor" button.

Full Circle fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jul 25, 2009

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Twisted Aristocrat posted:

So I take it the offer finished early in the UK, because it's asking for £80 for the premium version now :/

They're all sold out, there was only ever a limited allocation:

http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/buy/offers/pre-order-ended.aspx

Microsoft UK posted:

Looking for information about the Windows 7 Pre-Order Offer? The reduced-price offer has ended. But you can still be one of the first to get Windows 7. Just pre-order it from the Microsoft Store.

So, since the RTM version has leaked, has the EULA been posted anywhere? More importantly (to me) has the -E version leaked and that EULA been posted anywhere?

There's all these rumours about retail copies no-longer being able to move between hardware, and some people are still claiming that retail copies (of Pro) can be installed on 2 machines. I'd like to know what's going on and what I'll be allowed to do with my cheap copy.

Lum fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jul 25, 2009

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Lum posted:

So, since the RTM version has leaked, has the EULA been posted anywhere? More importantly (to me) has the -E version leaked and that EULA been posted anywhere?

All the EULA variants on on every disc, here's the important bits:

Windows 7 Professional EULA (Retail version) posted:

2. INSTALLATION AND USE RIGHTS.
a. One Copy per Computer. You may install one copy of the software on one computer. That computer is the “licensed computer.”
b. Licensed Computer. You may use the software on up to two processors on the licensed computer at one time. Unless otherwise provided in these license terms, you may not use the software on any other computer.
c. Number of Users. Unless otherwise provided in these license terms, only one user may use the software at a time.
d. Alternative Versions. The software may include more than one version, such as 32-bit and 64-bit. You may install and use only one version at one time.
3. ADDITIONAL LICENSING REQUIREMENTS AND/OR USE RIGHTS.
a. Multiplexing. Hardware or software you use to
· pool connections, or
· reduce the number of devices or users that directly access or use the software
(sometimes referred to as “multiplexing” or “pooling”), does not reduce the number of licenses you need.
b. Font Components. While the software is running, you may use its fonts to display and print content. You may only
· embed fonts in content as permitted by the embedding restrictions in the fonts; and
· temporarily download them to a printer or other output device to print content.
c. Icons, images and sounds. While the software is running, you may use but not share its icons, images, sounds, and media. The sample images, sounds and media provided with the software are for your non-commercial use only.
d. Use with Virtualization Technologies. Instead of using the software directly on the licensed computer, you may install and use the software within only one virtual (or otherwise emulated) hardware system on the licensed computer. When used in a virtualized environment, content protected by digital rights management technology, BitLocker or any full volume disk drive encryption technology may not be as secure as protected content not in a virtualized environment. You should comply with all domestic and international laws that apply to such protected content.
e. Storage. You may store one copy of the software on a storage device, such as a network server. You may use that copy to install the software on any other computer to which a license has been assigned.
f. Device Connections. You may allow up to 20 other devices to access software installed on the licensed computer to use only File Services, Print Services, Internet Information Services and Internet Connection Sharing and Telephony Services.
g. Remote Access Technologies. You may access and use the software installed on the licensed computer remotely from another device using remote access technologies as follows.
· Remote Desktop. The single primary user of the licensed computer may access a session from any other device using Remote Desktop or similar technologies. A “session” means the experience of interacting with the software, directly or indirectly, through any combination of input, output and display peripherals. Other users may access a session from any device using these technologies, if the remote device is separately licensed to run the software.
· Other Access Technologies. You may use Remote Assistance or similar technologies to share an active session.
h. Media Center Extender. You may have five Media Center Extender Sessions (or other software or devices which provide similar functionality for a similar purpose) running at the same time to display the software user interface or content on other displays or devices.
i. Electronic Programming Guide. If the software includes access to an electronic programming guide service that displays customized television listings, a separate service agreement applies to the service. If you do not agree to the terms of the service agreement, you may continue to use the software, but you will not be able to use the electronic programming guide service. The service may contain advertising content and related data, which are received and stored by the software. The service is not available in all areas. Please consult the software information for instructions on accessing the service agreement.
j. Related Media Information. If you request related media information as part of your playback experience, the data provided to you may not be in your local language. Some countries or regions have laws and regulations which may restrict or limit your ability to access certain types of content.
k. Worldwide Use of the Media Center. Media Center is not designed for use in every country. For example, although the Media Center information may refer to certain features such as an electronic programming guide or provide information on how to configure a TV tuner, these features may not work in your area. Please refer to the Media Center information for a list of features that may not work in your area.

16. PROOF OF LICENSE.
a. Genuine Proof of License. If you acquired the software on a disc or other media, your proof of license is the genuine Microsoft certificate of authenticity label with the accompanying genuine product key, and your proof of purchase. If you purchased and downloaded the software online, your proof of license is the genuine Microsoft product key for the software which you received with your purchase, and your proof of purchase from an authorized electronic supplier of genuine Microsoft software. Proof of purchase may be subject to verification by your merchant’s records.
b. Windows Anytime Upgrade License. If you upgrade the software using Windows Anytime Upgrade, your proof of license is the proof of license for the software you upgraded from, your Windows Anytime Upgrade product key and your proof of purchase. Proof of purchase may be subject to verification by your merchant’s records.
c. To identify genuine Microsoft software, see https://www.howtotell.com.
17. TRANSFER TO ANOTHER COMPUTER.
a. Software Other than Windows Anytime Upgrade. You may transfer the software and install it on another computer for your use. That computer becomes the licensed computer. You may not do so to share this license between computers.
b. Windows Anytime Upgrade Software. You may transfer the software and install it on another computer, but only if the license terms of the software you upgraded from allows you to do so. That computer becomes the licensed computer. You may not do so to share this license between computers.
18. TRANSFER TO A THIRD PARTY.
a. Software Other Than Windows Anytime Upgrade. The first user of the software may make a one time transfer of the software and this agreement, by transferring the original media, the certificate of authenticity, the product key and the proof of purchase directly to a third party. The first user must remove the software before transferring it separately from the computer. The first user may not retain any copies of the software.
b. Windows Anytime Upgrade Software. You may transfer the software directly to a third party only with the licensed computer. You may not keep any copies of the software or any earlier edition.
c. Other Requirements. Before any permitted transfer, the other party must agree that this agreement applies to the transfer and use of the software.

The E EULA has this extra bit:

Windows 7 Professional E EULA (Retail version) posted:

9. NOTICE REGARDING THE ABSENCE OF INTERNET EXPLORER 8. The software does not include Internet Explorer 8. As a result, you will need software from Microsoft or a third party in order to browse Internet web sites. More information can be found at go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=150220.

The two bits I quoted above are in the E EULA as well, but with different numbering because of the IE8 point being slipped in.

Here's the OEM edition EULA:

Windows 7 Professional EULA (OEM Version) posted:

2. INSTALLATION AND USE RIGHTS.
a. One Copy per Computer. The software license is permanently assigned to the computer with which the software is distributed. That computer is the “licensed computer.”
b. Licensed Computer. You may use the software on up to two processors on the licensed computer at one time. Unless otherwise provided in these license terms, you may not use the software on any other computer.
c. Number of Users. Unless otherwise provided in these license terms, only one user may use the software at a time on the licensed computer.
d. Alternative Versions. The software may include more than one version, such as 32-bit and 64-bit. You may use only one version at one time. If the manufacturer or installer provides you with a one-time selection between language versions, you may use only the one language version you select.

16. PROOF OF LICENSE.
a. Genuine Proof of License. If you acquired the software on a computer, or on a disc or other media, a genuine Microsoft Certificate of Authenticity label with a genuine copy of the software identifies licensed software. To be valid, this label must be affixed to the computer or appear on the manufacturer’s or installer’s packaging. If you receive the label separately, it is invalid. You should keep label on the computer or the packaging that has the label on it to prove that you are licensed to use the software. If the computer comes with more than one genuine Certificate of Authenticity label, you may use each version of the software identified on those labels.
b. Windows Anytime Upgrade License. If you upgrade the software using Windows Anytime Upgrade, your proof of license is identified by
· the genuine Microsoft Certificate of Authenticity label for the software you upgraded from, and
· the genuine Microsoft proof of purchase label from the Windows Anytime Upgrade Kit you used to upgrade. Proof of purchase may be subject to verification by your merchant’s records.
c. To identify genuine Microsoft software, see https://www.howtotell.com.
17. TRANSFER TO A THIRD PARTY. You may transfer the software directly to a third party only with the licensed computer. The transfer must include the software and the Certificate of Authenticity label. You may not keep any copies of the software or any earlier version. Before any permitted transfer, the other party must agree that this agreement applies to the transfer and use of the software.

The other sections that I checked that looked relevant seem identical, except 3e (talking about storing a copy of the software on a storage device) is REMOVED from the OEM license.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

According to this: http://www.istartedsomething.com/20090725/changes-to-the-windows-7-install-process/

Unlike Windows Vista, Windows 7 discs will be "unique" to each version of Windows 7. For example, the MSDN ISO will ONLY install Ultimate if left as-is. However, there's a file called ei.cfg in the "sources" folder that specifies which "version" the disc is. If you delete the file, you get a selection screen like with Vista install discs, and that one change effectively gives you a universal install disc (yes, the discs are all identical except for that one file).

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

univbee posted:

Unlike Windows Vista, Windows 7 discs will be "unique" to each version of Windows 7. For example, the MSDN ISO will ONLY install Ultimate if left as-is. However, there's a file called ei.cfg in the "sources" folder that specifies which "version" the disc is. If you delete the file, you get a selection screen like with Vista install discs, and that one change effectively gives you a universal install disc (yes, the discs are all identical except for that one file).

That's quite nice actually. It means that Joe Idiot will end up installing the version he actually bought, rather than moaning afterwards when his product key wont activate, but support people can have a CD that installs all of them.

Shame it's no good for me as if I were to get the MSDN ISO, it still wouldn't work as I've bought a -E edition.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Lum posted:

Shame it's no good for me as if I were to get the MSDN ISO, it still wouldn't work as I've bought a -E edition.

That particular ISO, yes, but MSDN will have an -E version up. I even have the checksums for it in my OP, I just don't think it's leaked yet.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
If the iso is not yet available on MSDN/Technet... what exactly is the leaked copy? Internal leak?

dorkanoid
Dec 21, 2004

I read the last few pages, and saw some mentions of TechNet - am I understanding it right as "if you have 2+ computers, don't make money with them (i.e. just use them for learning/fun), and don't mind downloading ISOs, just subscribe to technet today"?

If so, I'll buy one ASAP :D

Just a few questions:
- If you don't renew your technet in a year, is your installation of Win7 technically unlicenced then?
- There are no other limitations that make TechNet problematic for a home user?

myself
Jul 17, 2001

So I installed Windows 7 RC (build 7100)

I'm kind of having this issue, well I have an Nvidia MSI Geforce N9600GT card, and I installed the latest drivers at first, 190.38--so I played a game, Left 4 Dead, and my fan speed went up to probably like 100%, and when I quit the game it wouldn't go down at all. So I installed older drivers 185.81, which still had a really high fan speed in game, but at least went down to normal after I quit, and the same with 186.18 which I installed and have installed now (latest ones before 190.38).

I know the GPU does more work during gaming and heats up of course, but I really don't remember it being that loud, as loud as it is when the computer starts up, when I played this game in XP. If anyone has any insight into this, thank you!

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

myself posted:

So I installed Windows 7 RC (build 7100)

I'm kind of having this issue, well I have an Nvidia MSI Geforce N9600GT card, and I installed the latest drivers at first, 190.38--so I played a game, Left 4 Dead, and my fan speed went up to probably like 100%, and when I quit the game it wouldn't go down at all. So I installed older drivers 185.81, which still had a really high fan speed in game, but at least went down to normal after I quit, and the same with 186.18 which I installed and have installed now (latest ones before 190.38).

I know the GPU does more work during gaming and heats up of course, but I really don't remember it being that loud, as loud as it is when the computer starts up, when I played this game in XP. If anyone has any insight into this, thank you!

Have you tried installing a 72xx build? It fixed a lot of stuff for me and it still uses the RC keys.

myself
Jul 17, 2001

fishmech posted:

Have you tried installing a 72xx build? It fixed a lot of stuff for me and it still uses the RC keys.

Hmmm, is it possible to update 7100 to that or do I have to format?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

myself posted:

Hmmm, is it possible to update 7100 to that or do I have to format?

Yeah, it updates just fine!

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Hey! Quit touching my junk!

fishmech posted:

Yeah, it updates just fine!

Well then. It's time for 1-6.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

PopeOnARope posted:

Well then. It's time for 1-6.

You can't update 71xx to 7600, only 71xx to 72xx.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

fishmech posted:

You can't update 71xx to 7600, only 71xx to 72xx.

You can if you edit cversion.ini

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

c0burn posted:

You can if you edit cversion.ini

Using the same method as Beta2->RC I'd assume. I really shouldn't update to it, though. It's already taken one "Update" install (Vista x64->7 x64). I could re-image back to vista and copy out the data I need, or I can just pave over, and extract my existing data from the image. Hm.

FAILS AT EVERYTHING
Jan 2, 2006

Finally, I've escaped!

Greenfield posted:

How can I edit this field in a files properties?

I am using Media Center, and it is getting file names from that field. See example below.

On a .jpg I can just double click the field and change it, but on .avi I can't do anything.

This is on Windows 7 64bit. I have full ownership/control of the file.

I know this is probably too late, but if the file is added to your windows media player library, when you right click the file and click edit, that will also edit that field instead of using a 3rd party program. :)

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

So if I install the RTM now will it accept my Upgrade key in October or will I have to do an actual upgrade. I'm running the trial right now but I'm keeping Vista on another partition in case I need to verify it.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Will the 64 bit version be included on the disk, or will I have to download a different ISO to use with my upgrade key?

I know I can't do an in-place upgrade from 32 > 64, but since I'm going to have to do a "clean" install from 7100 > 7600, I was wondering how I would go about doing this.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Keys work for both 32bit and 64bit, same as on Vista

Unless you bought an OEM copy, you'll get both sets of discs, I believe.

Edit:
So, given that the browser ballot screen has been announced and it's basically a startup shortcut that loads a list of browsers up (using loving IE8) and if you choose something other than IE it just removes the icons, same as Set Program Access and Defaults in XP SP2, it's looking like the -E edition is completely useless.

Anyone know if a key from a -E edition will work on the US version?

Lum fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jul 26, 2009

Lenins Potato
May 8, 2008

EngineerJoe posted:

So if I install the RTM now will it accept my Upgrade key in October or will I have to do an actual upgrade. I'm running the trial right now but I'm keeping Vista on another partition in case I need to verify it.

Assuming you have the version with the correct hashes, yes. You can install RTM now and continue to rearm until you get the key.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Lenins Potato posted:

Assuming you have the version with the correct hashes, yes. You can install RTM now and continue to rearm until you get the key.

But isn't the RTM ISO that's out right now the "Ultimate" edition? What happens if people try and just use their Home Premium and Professional keys when they get their copies in? Will the RTM take them since it's technically "Ultimate"?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Charles Martel posted:

But isn't the RTM ISO that's out right now the "Ultimate" edition? What happens if people try and just use their Home Premium and Professional keys when they get their copies in? Will the RTM take them since it's technically "Ultimate"?

Not as such.

By default it will only install Ultimate.

But you can edit ei.cfg to install the version you want.

Or delete it to get an edition ballot during the install.

It doesn't just feed you the version of the key you put in anymore, though.

Traxxus
Jul 13, 2003

WWJD - What Would Jack Do?
Quick question. I gave an older computer to a friend of mine, AMD 3200+ single core, 2 gb OF RAM, etc. He doesn't have the money for an OS right now, so he is going to use windows 7 for now. Is there any reason to use the 32 bit version over the 64 bit version? He doesn't really need the features of the 64 bit version but he may upgrade the computer in the future and having to rebuy the 64 bit would suck for him. Will there be any problems using the 64 bit version?

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Xaranx posted:

AMD 3200+ single core...Is there any reason to use the 32 bit version over the 64 bit version?

That's not a 64 bit chip, is it? Sounds about like what I upgraded from.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

LooseChanj posted:

That's not a 64 bit chip, is it? Sounds about like what I upgraded from.

There are only 2 non-64 bit Athlon XP 3200+ processors (and they were top models), the rest are Athlon 64, so it's a fair bet that it's a 64-bit processor. Of course, CPU-Z can remove all doubt.

Except for lack of support for 16-bit programs (which are few and very far between) there aren't really any downsides to running the 64 bit version of windows.

He might have problems finding windows 7/Vista compatible drivers for his 2005ish hardware though.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

I lost my AIM Lite IM screen on my 2nd monitor, which is no longer plugged in, and I can't figure out how to get it back to my main monitor. AIM Lite doesn't have the alt - move trick apparently, so I'm kind of lost.

Traxxus
Jul 13, 2003

All I remember about the CPU was that it was one of the first of the s939 Venice chipsets released.

And that's a good point about the drivers, I had enough trouble finding the XP drivers ever since dfistreet went away. Guess I'll see if I can find motherboard drivers first then go from there.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Xaranx posted:

All I remember about the CPU was that it was one of the first of the s939 Venice chipsets released.

And that's a good point about the drivers, I had enough trouble finding the XP drivers ever since dfistreet went away. Guess I'll see if I can find motherboard drivers first then go from there.

Well check CPU-Z or SecurAble just to double check the 64-bit compatibility of the processor.

As far as drivers, my computer is 5 years old, and is running 7 fine.
Granted I'm currently running 32bit, because I only hav 1GB of RAM and getting a bootable 64bit USB was a pain in the rear end.

However when the first beta came out I did go 64-bit and it was fine with these specs.
  • CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3200+
  • Graphics: nVidia Geforce 7600
  • Mobo: Asus A8N-SLI Premium

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.
I hope I didn't somehow miss someone else post this, RE: the EU browser-bundling debacle: Revealed in a statement by the European Commission, Microsoft offered to give consumers a choice of browser installation through a browser ballot screen.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Xaranx posted:

Quick question. I gave an older computer to a friend of mine, AMD 3200+ single core, 2 gb OF RAM, etc. He doesn't have the money for an OS right now, so he is going to use windows 7 for now. Is there any reason to use the 32 bit version over the 64 bit version? He doesn't really need the features of the 64 bit version but he may upgrade the computer in the future and having to rebuy the 64 bit would suck for him. Will there be any problems using the 64 bit version?

You've stuck the RC on there, so he's going to have to reformat and reinstall when he buys a legit copy of the OS (Don't forget that his OS is going to start rebooting in March and stop altogether in June too!)

Given that, it doesn't really make any difference whether he has 32bit or 64bit. I'd probably go with 32 since it doesn't sound like he'll be upgrading that system any time soon.

Traxxus
Jul 13, 2003

Lum posted:

You've stuck the RC on there, so he's going to have to reformat and reinstall when he buys a legit copy of the OS (Don't forget that his OS is going to start rebooting in March and stop altogether in June too!)

Given that, it doesn't really make any difference whether he has 32bit or 64bit. I'd probably go with 32 since it doesn't sound like he'll be upgrading that system any time soon.

Yeah probably won't, will be expensive to upgrade since he'll need to go with a diff socket cpu. I dunno, I'll just take both versions over there and see what happens.

iKickDogs
Aug 31, 2001

Lum posted:

You've stuck the RC on there, so he's going to have to reformat

No, he won't. He can do a clean install.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

iKickDogs posted:

No, he won't. He can do a clean install.
Or he can copy the contents of his legit Windows 7 DVD to his computer, edit one file, and do an in-place upgrade from the RC to the final, like people running Vista can.

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

So incidentally, with me living in Canada and all, what are my options to inexpensively upgrade to 7 Pro/Ult?

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

PopeOnARope posted:

So incidentally, with me living in Canada and all, what are my options to inexpensively upgrade to 7 Pro/Ult?

Since the pre-order seems to be over with, I'd say look for an OEM copy. My local computer parts store has OEM copies of vista, and even has a neat little deal where they'll throw in a free upgrade to 7 if you buy a computer with vista now.

Aturaten
Mar 23, 2008

by elpintogrande
Supposedly Windows 7 RTM has been leaked today. I suspect the news will pick it up shortly.

NoArmedMan
Apr 1, 2003

Aturaten posted:

Supposedly Windows 7 RTM has been leaked today. I suspect the news will pick it up shortly.

Wasn't it leaked back on July 15 or so? It just wasn't confirmed that the build was correct until a week alter when an msdn blog confirmed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

I installed the RC back in May and had my very first crash today. I'm still running 7100 because I'm lazy, and I'm not worried about it since I'll be updating to the proper version as soon as the University gets it, but I'm just curious if it was a common thing that's been fixed in later builds or if I broke something or what.

I went to open windows explorer and the list to the left only had "Libraries" with a magnifying glass spinning over it. No computer, no subfolders, nothing. My library folders were there, and if I right clicked explorer on the bar the jump list was there and they all opened correctly (except that the list on the left was still empty), but if I went to "computer" from any of those folders, it would lead to a blank screen and the loading bar up top would fill up and then just sit there.
I opened control panel to go look at the event viewer, and it turned out that was blank too. I could access any control panel command by searching for it in the start button, but the panel itself was blank.

Nothing that wasn't fixed by a reboot, and it was probably some kind of explorer problem that I could have fixed by stopping and restarting explorer even, but I'm curious if it's common or if I did some arcane action that caused it to break. Interestingly enough, googling for 'blank control panel' brought up a lot of hits for Vista...

The last four days of event log are full of "The server was unable to allocate from the system nonpaged pool because the server reached the configured limit for nonpaged pool allocations." I don't actually know what that means, but I'm assuming it's somehow related. I am running TVersity as a media server for the Xbox, I don't know if that's the server it's referring to or not. RAM usage seemed normal though.

My system uptime was just over 40 days, so I guess it was due for a reboot anyway :v: