Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Yep! That's it. Thanks. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nione
Jun 3, 2006

Welcome to Trophy Island
Rub my tummy
I've been wanting to try a quilt, but don't have access to a quilting machine and don't really want to pay someone to do it for me, so that cathedral pane quilt has me intrigued. I think I'm going to give it a try, only problem is I'll have to do it by hand as I don't have a functioning regular sewing machine either (for the moment, anyway). Is this an unfinished project waiting to happen? When you guys quilt, how much do you do by hand? I'm not a super fast hand sewer, but I'm adequate. I also wanted to include batting in between the layers of fabric, good idea?

Also, I really like the idea of having every single square be different. Any suggestions for places to get really super cool remnants or charm packs? I looked through a lot of the ones at Fat Quarter Shop and really like some of the fabrics but I'm open to suggestions, especially for really good deals or vintage fabrics.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Lots of people do it entirely by hand, I think it's all about how much time it takes you to do things and how prim and proper your hand stitching is. I think that, unless you're someone who can spend a ton of time just working on patches in front of the TV, it's dangerously close to an unfinished project if you actually have a life. I see all hand-quilted stuff and think "yeah, that's fantastic- I have to work and I have other things to do around the house when I get in, so NO."

You definitely want batting in there. The parts that I typically do completely by hand would be the actual quilting- the stitching that holds the layers together- because my machine just won't quite cooperate with me when it comes to machine quilting. I talk myself into liking this more because it gives it a homey feel.

Most of my actual fabric for quilting has come from smaller shops, but it means I typically pay more even if I get really unique fabrics. I browse the remnants at Joanne's sometimes too but more often than not it's fabric I wouldn't want. With my last quilt (not the monkey one, prior to it) I mixed in some more expensive fat quarters that I'd purchased from a local fabric store with scraps from other projects- I'd estimate the fabric cost of it to be around $80 (including batting). I honestly have no idea what a realistic price range would be because I very rarely go out and buy fabric with something in mind, I tend to get grabby when I see stuff that I like and then figure out a gameplan later.

edit: The more I think on it, the more I think that $80's a bad estimate. Maybe I'm being a little too generous- it was probably closer to $65 considering fabric actually used? This is why it's a bad idea to buy fabric and then plot it out later- you never have an accurate idea of what each quilt "cost" you to make!

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear

Nione posted:

I've been wanting to try a quilt, but don't have access to a quilting machine and don't really want to pay someone to do it for me, so that cathedral pane quilt has me intrigued. I think I'm going to give it a try, only problem is I'll have to do it by hand as I don't have a functioning regular sewing machine either (for the moment, anyway). Is this an unfinished project waiting to happen? When you guys quilt, how much do you do by hand? I'm not a super fast hand sewer, but I'm adequate. I also wanted to include batting in between the layers of fabric, good idea?

Also, I really like the idea of having every single square be different. Any suggestions for places to get really super cool remnants or charm packs? I looked through a lot of the ones at Fat Quarter Shop and really like some of the fabrics but I'm open to suggestions, especially for really good deals or vintage fabrics.

The stuff I've been doing just to get rid of fabric I machine pieced for speed, but the cathedral window and some other things I'm working with I've done by hand, because the wool was too thick, and hand stitching worked better. I'll quilt all of them by hand. It doesn't seem like too much to me, but I'm used to spending 50-60 hours embroidering a lot of my pieces, so...uh..

I'm cheap as anything--I get my fabric from thrift stores. Pillowcases and sheets are good sources, they've usually got some cool prints on older ones. And as ghoulish as it might seem, well, when old ladies die, I guess the families donate their collections, that's where I've gotten a lot of mine. Then again, I really, really hate most of the newer fabrics I see.

handbags at dawn
Mar 8, 2007
If you don't have access to a quilting machine and you're making a blocky-type quilt, tying may be the way to go for you. http://home.howstuffworks.com/tying-quilts.htm It's not so good for intricate blocks, but for a quilt like Ozma showed with the monkeys or one like in that link, it's a quick way to quilt. Just pay attention to the batting you get - typically it'll tell you how close or far apart you can get. The batting I usually like to use is thicker and heavier than polyester batting and you can quilt as far as 10 inches apart which is nice and makes things quicker. (plus I don't like a lot of busy quilting, I tend to like boxes and long lines)

As far as fabric? If you're not someone who's picky about brand new fabric, garage sales, old clothes, sheets, tablecloths, napkins, anything that catches your eye. Like Goldaline said, especially if you like a vintage look. If you like packs that have a lot of variety, I've seen some scrap packs on Etsy or eBay and some on-line fabric stores will sometimes sell "scrap bags" by the pound.

I'm too impatient to do anything by hand. :blush: I think it's because I did needlework for so long and it's nice to have projects I can finish in days or weeks instead of months or years.

Nione
Jun 3, 2006

Welcome to Trophy Island
Rub my tummy
I think I'm going to give it a shot. I went through my future mother-in-law's scrap bag last night and found a few things. I think I'll send out a general request to everyone I know that sews asking for small pieces (just enough for one "pane") of colorful fabrics. I actually found a dinosaur print from the 80s that was leftover from a hawaiian style shirt my fiance used to wear when he was a little kid. It's pretty drat adorable.

Thanks for all the advice, I really like the cathedral pane style. I've seen them before but don't know anyone that's ever made one, but it seems perfect for a hand-sewing project. I'd really only be able to use a machine to sew the blocks together anyway. Each pane would have to be handsewn into the backing fabric whether I had a machine or not. And I've got people whose machines I could use for short amounts of time if I get really sick of sewing the blocks together.

Has anyone had any experience with making black the main color of a quilt or bedspread. I'd be using a cotton of course and I'd love to have the backing be black so the colors really pop, but I'm a bit concerned with it fading. I still want it to get that soft/worn quilt look (my favorite thing about quilts), but I also don't want it to end up looking gray and dingy. Also on the fabric question, I can get upholstery samples through work, and they'd be the perfect size for a quilt, but of course upholstery fabric is much heavier and less washable than regular fabric. This also got me to thinking about using fabrics with different fiber contents. Do I need to watch out for that or is it pretty much anything goes?

I'm also really excited about getting back into sewing. I lost my machine in a flood and so I've been knitting only for the last year or so and this seems like a perfect opportunity to start a fun new project. Blackwork embroidery is next, after I get more comfortable with long stretches of sewing by hand.

Nione fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jul 29, 2009

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear
Black clothing fades because you wash them so often, I don't think you'd have too much of an issue with a bed spread unless you wash it way too much.

Traditionally, 100% cotton is used for quilting...obviously, I don't personally hold to that, but the back ground really ought to be something light enough to press with an iron. For the middle squares, I think you could probably use anything.

Enjoy some crappy photobooth pictures because I can't find my camera's cord.

Starting my organza version. I think I'm going to make the centers more organza dyed in a gradation of gray.

I spent a few days tracking down this pattern. The squares are 2" and all wool. I think I'm making this into a vest or coat in 3 years when I've put it all together, hahaha.

Using these techniques in clothing finally! The braid was made of tiny scraps from a failed project, I sat there and hand-pieced them at work. The shirt is a reconstruction of an army surplus.

Found a pair of my favorite cut of jeans for $10, but they were black, and I have this weird problem with black jeans. So I threw them in Thiox (like bleach, but not, it smells like a perm) and bam, tan pants.

And for 4R7 THi3F especially, part of my sewing/needle arts book collection. Reader's Digest and Better Homes and Gardens books are the best! Right now I'm investigating Hardanger Work, Huck Embroidery, Bobbin Lace..summer is too short!

handbags at dawn
Mar 8, 2007
The only reason you have to watch out for fabrics of different fibers in quilting (as part of the quilt top) is the shrinking aspect - you don't want the fabrics shrinking at different rates. (that's my understanding, tell me if I'm wrong!)

I recognize a couple of those books, Goldaline, and I'm in love with that shirt with the braid on it.

Hardanger and openwork were always my favorite. It seems like I always gave away most of my projects, but I did know where one was even though it was folded up. It's Ukranian openwork, I took a guild correspondence course years ago. I'll link the pictures because I think I post too many pictures!

http://i28.tinypic.com/2jadvcw.jpg
http://i32.tinypic.com/1zcmsy9.jpg
http://i31.tinypic.com/2jbp8wz.jpg

haximus prime
Nov 23, 2007
buttes
i'm sure some of you will laugh at me, but i recently came across a (free) singer model 20

Click here for the full 640x606 image.

but the only problem seems to be that i dont know how to thread it... i run the thread correctly through each of the little numbered eyelets, but no matter which way i thread the needle, front or back, the thread gets caught up on this thing on the bottom that spins, and what ever i'm sewing never moves forward.

now i know this isn't really a feasible way to sew anything seeing as how the whole thing is maybe 7 inches long, but it seems like a cool thing to screw around with.

Hannah Banana
Jul 16, 2009

Let me show you the REAL New Deal
I just read through this thread, and it is really neat looking at all of the stuff everyone has made! I am trying to get in to a sewing class, but I am going to have to wait until the spring. They offer classes through a local adult school, but it conflicts with my college classes. Hopefully I will be able to get in to it, along with my sister, and learn how to sew! I have always wanted to learn how, so it should be a lot of fun.

Also whoever is making the Paleo Denim, those things look loving fantastic. I would buy some of those in a heartbeat!

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008
Just a quick question: what kind of fabric is commonly used for T-shirts and other stretchy garments?
I just finished my first sewing project (yay!) and while the shirt came out decent enough the fabric feels kind of coarse on skin. What should I look for on the fabric labels to know it will be comfortable when worn?

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Cross_ posted:

Just a quick question: what kind of fabric is commonly used for T-shirts and other stretchy garments?
I just finished my first sewing project (yay!) and while the shirt came out decent enough the fabric feels kind of coarse on skin. What should I look for on the fabric labels to know it will be comfortable when worn?

That type of fabric is called jersey knit (or at least that's what I've heard it called). If you look closely at t-shirt fabric you can see that it's actually knitted, not woven. Jersey knit is usually available in cotton or poly-cotton mixes and can sometimes be found in bamboo or rayon mixes. It generally comes in a wide range of colours, but I've only ever been able to get it online as fabric shops in my vicinity only stock woven cottons and sari fabric.

vaginadeathgrip
Jun 18, 2003

all them bitches can't handle my sassy ass mouth
I love the look and feel of rayon, but the one major downside of the fabric is that over time, gravity takes its toll, so the hemline tends to sag in different places. I started noticing this in shirts I've bought, where the care label tells you to "hang to dry." Later the right side is a couple inches lower than the left. It's terribly unfair, and you would think the manufacturers would encourage people to keep it flat to increase the longevity of the garment. It would be such a great fabric if it weren't for this one horrible problem :argh:. Anyone got any tricks?

vaginadeathgrip fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Aug 9, 2009

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008
I'll look for that. Thanks madlilnerd.

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear
The cathedral window dress is finally finished! The needlelace panels were starting to get really boring to do. Still needs an under dress, I was thinking of ombre dying something gray to black. More pictures (though equally bad) at my blog.

Also started over on the shirt to go under the wing-vest, I'm going for simpler this time. Fabric was originally a very heavy cotton (almost flannel) sheet.

Going to slice-and-godet it up to make it more full, still undecided if I'm going to dye the godets or not, and how I'm going to finish the seams on them.

Beep Street
Aug 22, 2006

Chemotherapy and marijuana go together like apple pie and Chevrolet.
Edit: Question about bobbins but I've worked it out hurrah.

Beep Street fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Aug 28, 2009

Nettles Coterie
Dec 24, 2008

Play in the Dark, lest the Heat catch you standing still

Goldaline posted:

Also started over on the shirt to go under the wing-vest, I'm going for simpler this time. Fabric was originally a very heavy cotton (almost flannel) sheet.

Going to slice-and-godet it up to make it more full, still undecided if I'm going to dye the godets or not, and how I'm going to finish the seams on them.

Jesus christ Goldaline, if I saw someone wearing that vest on the street I would literally beat the poo poo out of them and steal it. I've saved every picture you posted of it, and I can't stop looking at them. If I had the skills to make that poo poo I would wear it every single day.

Okay, maybe I'm exaggerating, but gently caress I love it so much!

drat Beep Street, I got a reply for you all typed out, but then you went and figured it out yourself :colbert:

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear

Calvervtutrp posted:

Jesus christ Goldaline, if I saw someone wearing that vest on the street I would literally beat the poo poo out of them and steal it. I've saved every picture you posted of it, and I can't stop looking at them. If I had the skills to make that poo poo I would wear it every single day.

Okay, maybe I'm exaggerating, but gently caress I love it so much!

drat Beep Street, I got a reply for you all typed out, but then you went and figured it out yourself :colbert:

Hahaha, wow, well, that's a good reaction I guess! It's not as much skills as patience, I promise! If I find the pattern when I unpack my studio, I'd be happy to send it to you~

Nettles Coterie
Dec 24, 2008

Play in the Dark, lest the Heat catch you standing still
:aaaaa: If you find it and you don't mind, that would be absolutely amazing! I think it's one of my favorite pieces of clothing I have ever seen.

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.
Been working on my dress. It's not perfect, and it's the most complex piece I've ever done considering everything but the bodice is me winging it. I also need to remove some of the padding from the dress form on top, since it's not quite to scale this month.

Any tips on how to make a nice hemline? Should I break down and buy some tape?

Click here for the full 400x634 image.

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008
Can't help you, but that's a really gorgeous dress!

Beep Street
Aug 22, 2006

Chemotherapy and marijuana go together like apple pie and Chevrolet.

Calvervtutrp posted:

Sorry! Thanks very much anyway. I really was going mad trying to get the bobbin thread up. In hindsight I really should have asked someone to show me how a sewing machine works instead of trying to learn it all myself.

I've since managed to sew scraps of material together with the machine and am really enjoying sewing so far - I'm amazed at how neat the stitches look compared to hand sewing. I'm going to have a good read of this entire thread for inspiration.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Not cool, sorry.

cakesmith handyman fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Sep 3, 2009

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear
Ahaha, so I've been working on these feathered leggings/pants for a few days. I finally put the on someone...and wow, they look a lot more like gorilla legs than I anticipated.

Oh well! They're due Thursday so I guess that's just how it's going to be.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Goldaline posted:

Ahaha, so I've been working on these feathered leggings/pants for a few days. I finally put the on someone...and wow, they look a lot more like gorilla legs than I anticipated.

I love them! But I see what you mean about gorilla legs. They'd probably look more birdy if you get your model to wear killer heels.

handbags at dawn
Mar 8, 2007
I suspect it's the color that's making you think of gorilla legs. For what it's worth, I looked at the picture before reading the text and thought "bird legs!"

Artemisia
Jun 27, 2002

Fetish

Goldaline posted:

I think if the feathers went all the way down to the ankle, they'd look less like gorilla legs. But I didn't really think gorilla until you said something about it. They kind of remind me of the pants that are in vogue with belly dancers right now that either have big slashed open flares with a lettuce edge, or flares with layers of ruffles.

4R7 THi3F
Aug 8, 2005

oh... so you ARE sick....

Goldaline posted:

ahahhaha they're soooo cool

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
I'm going to an auction this weekend and I am pretty sure it is the direct result of some kind of southern-as-hell clothing and horse-riding manufacturer going out of business. Can you guys think of anything especially nifty I should keep an eye out for? Here's the ad:

quote:

Warehouse Equipment, Manufacturing Equipment, Pallet Racks all sizes, Huge Motorized Apparel Mezzanine, Crown lift truck, pallet jacks, Cutting Tables, Warehouse Carts, Fabric, Fabric Cutters, Consew sewing machine, Forms, Manikins, Steam Irons, Buttons, Sheets, Couches, Conchos's, Rolls of Material, Pallets of product, Office Furniture, Office Supplies, Computers, Servers, Server Racks, Phone System, Printers, Copiers, Microwaves, Break room, Coffee maker, Tables, Chairs, Pictures, Art, Reception Desk, File Cabinets, Work Tables,

Huge amount of Men's & Women's apparel & Western wear Plus Stetson, Resistol hats.

Lectra Plotter & CAD/CAM System

Equipment for these dedicated industries: fashion, accessories, footwear, furniture, automotive, aerospace, marine or industrial fabrics

Most of the really awesome industrial stuff is probably going to be out of my price range, but I am mentally framing this as a museum visit so I won't be disappointed. Furthermore, Goldaline will you gay-marry me?

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear

Corla Plankun posted:

Furthermore, Goldaline will you gay-marry me?
I don't even know how this works. Also, I want industrial everything. Right now, my desk is a board across two old shelving things. :( It gives me splinters.

CRIT DAY!

Happily, they look less like gorilla leg now that they go all the way up. And the feet look deranged because I had to throw together a leg-mannequin the night before. (I have lovely pictures of my poor mate wrapped in duct-tape on my blog)

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008
Now that I am starting to get the hang of things I feel like it's time to get working on the shirt and jacket that I've wanted for the past 16 years (sorry for the poor paste job):

Click here for the full 1240x813 image.

The bright blue sleeves look like regular polyester and the jacket might be jacquard? Anyone seen stuff like that recently? I checked out the fabric sites listed in the OP but did not notice anything that would come close.

Cross_ fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Sep 12, 2009

Cat Breath
Jul 1, 2007
meow.
Fallen Rib

Cross_ posted:

The bright blue sleeves look like regular polyester and the jacket might be jacquard? Anyone seen stuff like that recently? I checked out the fabric sites listed in the OP but did not notice anything that would come close.

It looks like upholstery fabric. I know that they used a lot of upholstery fabrics for the costumes on Star Trek. Finding a good upholstery fabric store may be difficult (you won't find this kinda stuff in a normal fabric store, as you've found), but they're still around.

Customer Service
Jun 20, 2004

I'm not wearing any pants
Would this be the right thread to ask for some in-depth advice about making plush toys and stuffed animals, or would that be better for a thread of its own? (Since aside from making adorable outfits for them it doesn't have much to do with fashion) I've just recently gotten into it and I'm having a hell of a time finding GOOD information.

Also, though I have no interest in clothes making, the stuff in this thread is amazing and almost makes me tempted. :aaa:

clarion ravenwood
Aug 5, 2005

I've made some softies and stuffed animals. I'm no expert but I'm happy to help if I can - so if you have any questions post away.

I have bought a few simple books for inspiration, but there are plenty of free patterns online, Crafster is a good place to look.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
I'm currently making a fairly tailored womens jacket with darts, but do I need to put darts in the lining too?

stars
Jun 11, 2008
_Cross-
Have you looked into home dec fabric? Way heavy but they'll probably have something in a blue jacquard. If you want silk, I have had a lot of success at Chinatown fabric stores for silk jacquards, problem being they are 60-100.00 a yard.

madlilnerd posted:

I'm currently making a fairly tailored womens jacket with darts, but do I need to put darts in the lining too?

Yup. Make it exactly like the outer jacket, save the facings, cuffs, etc. Without darts it won't lie smoothly.

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear
So I finally made some shoes! I've been wanting to forever-never got up the courage. They came out a little wonky, but it was a good learning experience.I think next time, trying it without cording might be good, that made the sole/upper connection a little tough.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Goldaline posted:

So I finally made some shoes! I've been wanting to forever-never got up the courage. They came out a little wonky, but it was a good learning experience.I think next time, trying it without cording might be good, that made the sole/upper connection a little tough.

:aaa: WOW. Those are gorgeous. How do they look from the back?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Goldaline posted:

I hate making shoes! These are so beautiful though, it makes me want to try again. They look really good. Are they turnshoes? Can I ask what you used for the sole?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear
From the back:

Ashcans posted:

I hate making shoes! These are so beautiful though, it makes me want to try again. They look really good. Are they turnshoes? Can I ask what you used for the sole?

I had to look up what that meant--I think they sort of are? I'm afraid I'm not the most..um...well-taught person when it comes to garment-making, so I mostly just look at things and make up techniques.

The uppers on them are sewn to an inner (wool) sole inside-out and then turned, but I then sandwiched that between two layers of leather and a layer of boiled wool, then added two inner liners of wool and fur.

So it goes, starting with the fur against your foot--fur-wool-leather-wool-boiled wool-leather, and then it has a little heel piece of leather-boiledwool-leather.