Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

ilikechapstick posted:

my HPI RS4 MT.

Anyone still have one of these? I think they discontinued them a while back, but my ESC is blown and I was thinking of going brushless on it. Would be pretty nasty I think.

4WD electric stadium trucks never took off, HPI and Yokomo were the only ones to have these kits, and the Yokomo came out way after the RS4 MT was released. I'd imagine they'd still be a lot of fun, especially against mod buggy if you're allowed to race against them. Even if you don't race some tires like the Geolandars or Dirt Hawgs would be really fun, look cool and let you blast around everywhere. I'd imagine the hard-case LiPo packs will fit in easily, just check the diffs to make sure they're pretty strong if you're going to put in a powerful brushless motor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

I have a Thunder Tiger S18 Hammer nitro monster truck , which is no end of fun for thrashing around.

With hindsight, I should have probably got an electric truck instead, as the nitro engine was enormously fiddly to get tuned correctly and also it makes a hell of a noise, so I can't run it outside my house too much or I'll annoy the neighbours. I think electric cars are probably considerably less irritating to others if you live in a quiet area, and you also don't have the problem of spending ten minutes trying to get the drat thing started and working out which of a dozen things could have gone wrong with it.

But, it is enormously satisfying to have it roar off in a cloud of smoke.

A question: are inline fuel-filters worth it, or are they just a gimmick?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Stoatbringer posted:

A question: are inline fuel-filters worth it, or are they just a gimmick?

Yes, they're worth it, but most kits these days come with 'stone' filters in the fuel tank so they're kind of unnecessary. Never a bad idea to double-up on the protection though.

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

Just ordered a 17.5 Novak brushless system for my Durga. I have no idea what to get for a battery/charger though. I'm using a tower 1900mAh NiCD right now and want to get a lipo, but have no idea what brands/chargers are good or if it even matters.

Any reccomendations? I'm willing to spend up to around $150 for a lipo + charger, want the battery to last as long as possible and I'd prefer a faster charger but only take it for a spin one or twice a week so it doesn't have to charge that fast if the battery is gonna last me a good while.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Team Orion usually makes good stuff

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
Reedy, Orion, Trakpower, SMC, and Maxamps (known for soft case lipos) all make good lipos. For the most part all their cells come from the same place (Kokam and a few other major lipo manufacturers).

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

Man I already broke the car before even draining my NiCd since my LiPo wont be here for another few days. Rear a-arm fell out and 2 little pieces that hold it in the suspension block got lost. Now i must order more parts and wait longer to enjoy my new motor. I love how much faster it is though, was a lot more fun the short while i got to run it.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Automotive Insanity: To me that's pretty unsavoury. Am I being overly sensitive? > You put WHAT on your R/C car? Stupid poo poo we've seen people put on their R/C cars

http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-items-sale-trade/311991-nitro-truck-ill-let-go-cheap.html

tylerlong posted:

okay my last thread got deleted i guess so im making a new one
its a himoto eldorada
it has all traxxas electronics and I still have the stock electronics
ill trade it or sell it for really cheap

I will consider anything you offer!

Jesus christ man, looks like it was assembled by a 5-year-old from a cave drawing.

Band clamps for the radio gear? Bet you get some good range and servo response!

Look at that bolt in the front steering linkage. Bet that doesn't bind on anything!

What happened to the two speed? OH GOD THAT THING IS DIRECT DRIVE RIGHT TO THE REAR DIFF! gently caress WHERE ARE THE BRAKES? Probably doesn't need them considering the muffler is missing and there's no back pressure on the fuel tank!

kuffs fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jul 14, 2009

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

That thing is horrendous.

In other news I got my Durga all back together. Got my 17.5 brushless last week and the rear a-arm pivot stripped the suspension block and popped out before the battery was completely drained after its first run. So I ordered the aluminum suspension blocks and mount for the rear and carbon reinforced a-parts since the little balls disappeared in the lawn when it broke. Got it all back together last night and the car is so much more enjoyable to drive around now with the increased speed and power.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
haha beginners :)

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Got my Tamiya Rough Rider reissue today :D

Click here for the full 1335x799 image.

Pretty Little Rainbow
Dec 27, 2005

by T. Finn

You Am I posted:

Got my Tamiya Rough Rider reissue today :D

Click here for the full 1335x799 image.

Thats awesome, hows your BUGGY CHAMP shirt fit? :haw:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Pretty Little Rainbow posted:

Thats awesome, hows your BUGGY CHAMP shirt fit? :haw:
It says "XL" but I have a feeling it is a Japanese XL, which will mean it is a Medium.

aceuvspades
May 26, 2006

Hypnolobster posted:

e: This is the vintage Tamiya Grasshopper that started it all. My grandfather bought it in the mid 80's and I got to play with it at his house once every ~2 years. I lusted after it on the top shelf in the basement for a long time.
Note the now bald original tires, and my kickin' video taking modification for personal amusement (I removed the scale driver and screwed in a tripod mount).
You can see in the front of the cockpit a funny little copper thing with little copper pads. Forwards/reverse is controlled with a servo that moves an arm that touches 4 different copper pads for two speeds each direction.

Have you guys ever seen the Go Pro Cam? Google it if you haven't. It would be great with the helmet adapter mounted to the roof of the lexan...

Here's my abomination of a stadium truck. It's a worked Duratrax Maximum ST with a fresh DX .18 in it. Way too much torque, I can't keep it on four wheels, all it wants to do is wheelie so I'm constantly feathering the the throttle to keep it down.

My next car is definatly going to be a brushless buggy, I'm over nitro all together. I have a soft spot for Mini-Z's as well. I'd like a blue Altezza to match my IS300.

MacPac
Jun 2, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I`ve had the slash for a month now and im having a blast just bashing with friends. I`ve allready managed to strip the teeth off the spur gear, while i`m waiting for a new one i`m drooling over this baby:

http://www.axialracing.com/ftp/Press-Releases/04-07/AX10.htm

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

MacPac posted:

I`ve had the slash for a month now and im having a blast just bashing with friends. I`ve allready managed to strip the teeth off the spur gear, while i`m waiting for a new one i`m drooling over this baby:

I'm kinda good buddies with the guys that started up Axial, they're pretty solid dudes and make some very cool stuff. They just recently released a scale shotgun rack with a rifle and shotgun in the same set :) pretty funny

I have a Scorpion and it's a blast, it got me to finally make a custom crawler, which took way longer than I thought it would, and a lot of jigsaw cutting & Dremeling!

also, about the Go Pro cam, those are sweet, these are the kinds of videos you end up with: http://www.neobuggy.net/modules/news/article.php?storyid=6493 (former 1/8th buggy World Champ and Kyosho designer Yuichi Kanai)

aceuvspades
May 26, 2006

krushgroove posted:

also, about the Go Pro cam, those are sweet, these are the kinds of videos you end up with: http://www.neobuggy.net/modules/news/article.php?storyid=6493 (former 1/8th buggy World Champ and Kyosho designer Yuichi Kanai)

First R/C vid. I've seen using a Go-Pro. Awesome link there. That guy can race his rear end off.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
I've just ordered a Traxxas Rustler VXL and now I'm looking for batteries.

A local retailer got both Hyperion G3 CX and VX packs. Both packs I'm looking at is 5000mAh/5500mAh 11.1V. Using a stock rustler with brushless, will there be much difference between the 25c and the 35c packs?

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
krushgroove, you ought to appreciate this http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-items-sale-trade/314350-hpi-rs4-1990s-electric.html

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

kuffs posted:

krushgroove, you ought to appreciate this http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-items-sale-trade/314350-hpi-rs4-1990s-electric.html

WOW, and only 40 bux, not a bad price. It's a dated design but anyone familiar with that should look at the Cup Racer and instantly see the similarities :)

BTW, I couldn't mention this before but there's a(nother) new stadium truck coming out: http://www.hpiracing.com/blitz/ Looks fantastic, Erik did an amazing job in such a short time.

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
That stadium truck looks really awesome. I want.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

All these shortcourse trucks on the market makes it reaaaaaaaaaally hard to avoid getting back into this money pit of a hobby :(

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

krushgroove posted:

WOW, and only 40 bux, not a bad price. It's a dated design but anyone familiar with that should look at the Cup Racer and instantly see the similarities :)

I was tempted to buy it for parts for my Nitro 2. But it doesn't look like he has a ball diff, which is what I'm really after.

krushgroove posted:

BTW, I couldn't mention this before but there's a(nother) new stadium truck coming out: http://www.hpiracing.com/blitz/ Looks fantastic, Erik did an amazing job in such a short time.

I love all this short course stuff. I like everything about that truck except for the dogbones. The mudflaps are an especially nice touch.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

My spare time in the night has been building my Datsun 510 CUP Racer :) It has been an AWESOME build. Just some soldering, then painting the body and I will be ready to rip. Pics to follow...

MacPac posted:

You mean kind of like this that is sitting on my desk here at work? (HPI Banner/car model is to show off to krushgroove :cheers: )
EDIT: Not stock, much of this truck features http://teamstrc.com/ebproduct.asp?catmainid=15 parts at nearly every available level

Laserface posted:

All these shortcourse trucks on the market makes it reaaaaaaaaaally hard to avoid getting back into this money pit of a hobby

With the HPI BLITZ with an expected street price to be identical to the SLASH, HPI has made it EXTEMELY easy to get back into this AWESOME hobby.

FYI, the Short Course Nationals race is currently being held at RC Madness in Enfield Connecticut, where the debut of the BLITZ is showing some impressive runs. They are currently leading the qualifying...

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

krushgroove posted:

I really like the look of that, and the all-metal gearbox is cool, as are the tires. Plastic shock bodies are a minus, though.

I think I'm going to pick up a Losi Strike when they're released, so I can have a high-rider chassis to go with my SC10 low rider. But, the Slash is appealing too because there's a ton of cool after market stuff, but the Losi is basically mid motor vehicle which seems neat. I like the Bind 'n Drive option, too, so I'm not saddled with a crappy transmitter.

Speaking of the SC10, I've beaten the living poo poo out of it since I've owned it but not broken a thing - I'm talking multiple lawn-dart incidents on a BMX track, which means really, really big air. The only wear issue has been the rear hub bearings, due to the dogbones. The slop/vibration inherent in the dogbone setup has worn the bearings out. I've got some MIP C-CVDs and ST Racing aluminum hub carriers on the way to solve the problem (if someone would make a spline-drive CVD like MIP does for the Revo, that would be sweet as hell and eliminate all slop in the drivetrain). The stock body shell has also been beaten to hell, so I picked up a JConcepts Truth (for the Slash, but fit pretty well perfectly) to be the shelf queen body. Still a bit of a work in progress, as I have to tint the windows and stuff.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

MacPac
Jun 2, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Somewhat Heroic posted:

You mean kind of like this that is sitting on my desk here at work? (HPI Banner/car model is to show off to krushgroove :cheers: )
EDIT: Not stock, much of this truck features http://teamstrc.com/ebproduct.asp?catmainid=15 parts at nearly every available level

Awesome! I'm currently tinkering with my order from http://www.ckrccrawlers.com seems every time i surf rccrawler.com i find some new parts to add. Im up to 700 bucks now :sweatdrop:, will probably be placing my order next weekend.

MacPac fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jul 25, 2009

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

A crappy blurry in progress photo of the Buggy Champ:

Click here for the full 1148x570 image.

I have to say for a basic RC chassis, it has been one of the most fiddly ones I have ever built.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Somewhat Heroic posted:

(HPI Banner/car model is to show off to krushgroove :cheers: )

haha cool, where did you get the banner? nick it from a race? ;)

compressioncut posted:

I really like the look of that, and the all-metal gearbox is cool, as are the tires. Plastic shock bodies are a minus, though.

tbh, plastic shock bodies are not the massive drawback that some folks think. Especially in off-road, long-stroke shocks where the shaft can wobble back and forth from impacts as the suspension is compressed. You have plastic rubbing on plastic, which is quite smooth. It works really well and lowers the cost of kits, like sealed gear diffs and other things like that. One of the recent US magazines even nixed the 'threaded shock bodies are awesome' thinking, which is good imo - it's nice to sell option parts and metal is shiny and cool but there are things it's better to spend money on.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

So whats considered to be the best short course truck on the market at the moment? I guess I'd need RTR since I sold all my gear not long ago, but will definitely be swapping all the parts out so Im really after a good platform that has out of the box advantages, but plenty of room to upgrade into a racer/all out brushless monster.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

Laserface posted:

So whats considered to be the best short course truck on the market at the moment? I guess I'd need RTR since I sold all my gear not long ago, but will definitely be swapping all the parts out so Im really after a good platform that has out of the box advantages, but plenty of room to upgrade into a racer/all out brushless monster.

There are only two on the market now, the Slash and SC10. The Losi Strike will be available in August (17th at the dealer I use). The HPI truck will be available in the fall.

The SC10 and Slash are quite different chassis-wise. The Slash has a much higher center of gravity - which you think would be bad, but the trucks run relatively skinny, "scale tread" tires, so the handling is pretty similar.

The Slash is based on the Traxxas Stampede, whereas the SC10 is a stretched T4, which in turn is basically the same as the B4 buggy - a very successful race car. Lots of hop up parts are available, but they're pretty generic (suspension arms, hubs, etc).

But, the Slash has tons of crap available, too - billet aluminum beadlocks, scale rollcages, lots of cool stuff. Lots of local tracks are running Slash-only classes. Your local hobbyshop probably has a wall of spare parts.

I think they're similar enough in performance out of the box that you can choose based on superficial qualities - I, for instance, think the Slash is ugly as hell, so I got an SC10. You can, however, make the SC10 into a serious high performance machine quite easily, taking advantage of its lower center of gravity and overall race-bred design.

The SC10 has a shortcoming, though, and it's the rear axles. They're a pure dogbone design and plain do not last long. Mine bent and chewed up the rear hub bearings ASAP. If you get one order MIP CVDs along with it (about $20) to nip the problem in the bud.

Swordfish
Aug 15, 2001

As someone who has never really touched an RC car, is there a good reason not to pick up an 18R cheap from craigslist? I like the look, I like that its kind of a rallycross style. I intend on really just zipping it around my wooden deck and running it around on a tennis court or light dirt at my local park. There's a guy selling one with a bunch of accessories and a busted spur gear for $90 right now.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
If you have merely a small mechanical inclination you should be fine.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Swordfish posted:

As someone who has never really touched an RC car, is there a good reason not to pick up an 18R cheap from craigslist?

Yes...it can get very addictive, very quickly :)

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

compressioncut posted:

There are only two on the market now, the Slash and SC10. The Losi Strike will be available in August (17th at the dealer I use). The HPI truck will be available in the fall.

The SC10 and Slash are quite different chassis-wise. The Slash has a much higher center of gravity - which you think would be bad, but the trucks run relatively skinny, "scale tread" tires, so the handling is pretty similar.

The Slash is based on the Traxxas Stampede, whereas the SC10 is a stretched T4, which in turn is basically the same as the B4 buggy - a very successful race car. Lots of hop up parts are available, but they're pretty generic (suspension arms, hubs, etc).

But, the Slash has tons of crap available, too - billet aluminum beadlocks, scale rollcages, lots of cool stuff. Lots of local tracks are running Slash-only classes. Your local hobbyshop probably has a wall of spare parts.

I think they're similar enough in performance out of the box that you can choose based on superficial qualities - I, for instance, think the Slash is ugly as hell, so I got an SC10. You can, however, make the SC10 into a serious high performance machine quite easily, taking advantage of its lower center of gravity and overall race-bred design.

The SC10 has a shortcoming, though, and it's the rear axles. They're a pure dogbone design and plain do not last long. Mine bent and chewed up the rear hub bearings ASAP. If you get one order MIP CVDs along with it (about $20) to nip the problem in the bud.

Thanks. Locally it seems the Slash is the only one available (go go Australia) so Im either getting that or I will wait for the Losi, as the bundled radio is pretty decent (Ive used one before on my Mini-LST2 and it was fine for most stuff) but being a Losi it has some unconventional design traits that Im a little unsure of. the chassis is narrow-as-gently caress too.

I may end up with a HPI cup racer since there doesnt seem to be any competitive clubs for EP offroad near by. that Corolla and Datto 510 are pretty mouth watering.

Grater
Jul 11, 2001
Might seem like a nice guy, but cross me once...
Well, this thread got me. I went out over my lunch break today and bought the new 1/16th E-Revo: http://www.traxxas.com/products/electric/erevo7108/trx_erevo7108.htm

It's nothing great I know but I don't have time for anything serious these days. I'm looking forward to trying it out later tonight.

Now, I should go pull out my box of junk and put together my old E-Maxx once again.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I just found out about this this minute, but the designer of the Blitz (and Pro 4, Firestorm, Nitro 3 and other stuff) is online with RC Driver talking to them live about the Blitz: http://www.hpiracing.com/home/

Three of our guys stormed the Short Course Nationals and took 2nd, 4th and 6th :) lost out on the win by 0.4 of a second!

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Hey SGT. Squeaks, just saw your Corvette made Best Paint in the latest issue of RCCA. Also saw a very good looking Datsun 240Z Cup Racer.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Two men enter, one man leaves. That is the way of the hobotorium!
Really? Awesome! They emailed me about it almost 3 months ago. I was wondering if it was going to show up. Very cool!

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

krushgroove posted:

I just found out about this this minute, but the designer of the Blitz (and Pro 4, Firestorm, Nitro 3 and other stuff) is online with RC Driver talking to them live about the Blitz: http://www.hpiracing.com/home/

Three of our guys stormed the Short Course Nationals and took 2nd, 4th and 6th :) lost out on the win by 0.4 of a second!

so what came first :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Laserface posted:

so what came first :v:

don't know, don't care :) it's a fun class, once these start going 'factory team' and all hypergraphitiumcompositebullshit it'll start to die