Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
Just for giggles, I checked on bike rentals and flights.

Condor flies from Anchorage direct to Frankfurt and other places in Europe, 10 hour + or - air time, not really so bad, and depending on dates I could round trip for as little :v: as $900 or so. It costs more than that to fly to Alaska bush communities!

Bike rentals, found a place with K75's, $700 a week. I'd want 2 weeks to make it worthwhile, so if I plan far enough ahead I may be able to get the bike over there for roughly that much, it's be worth it to me to take my own though.

I have a year to plan this, right? That's 9 months to say "I have plenty of time", 2 months of "I should get moving on this" and a month of frantic effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Sounds like you need an alaskan flag patch or something. I'll stick with:

edit:Might also look into renting one of those fancy european bikes they don't ship over here, even just for a day or something.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

Buell has redesigned the Blast for 2010

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Did Buell really just say 'Our bike wasn't that great, so we crushed one and made fun of ourselves for it'?

I just don't understand modern marketing.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
There's nothing modern about playing up to the harley crowd by going 'durr, AMERICA FUCKERS' *smash*

jesus. Destroying perfectly good fun little bikes. Why don't the assholes donate them to an MSF.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
I was all sent to get angry, but honestly...that's hilarious. The "view features" page is pretty funny.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
Yeah, that was pretty funny. I don't see why anyone needs to get up in arms about it. As gnaghi said, the features page is really what makes it.

low ground clearance
centralized mass
tight cockpit
:lol:

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe
I like the gallery better. There's something innately hilarious about an artsy shot of a metal cube taken on the salt flats.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
i like it.
"centralized mass," i laughed out loud at that.

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

jesus. Destroying perfectly good fun little bikes. Why don't the assholes donate them to an MSF.
perfectly good? i heard they sucked, vibrated like poo poo, weren't good for msf use because they were too heavy with too much torque (500cc single? most of their bikes are like 250 twins and poo poo)

Simkin
May 18, 2007

So have any spy shots of the actual 2010 blast leaked out, or are they just dropping the line entirely?

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Checking out the color options did it for me.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Simkin posted:

So have any spy shots of the actual 2010 blast leaked out, or are they just dropping the line entirely?

I doubt they'll drop it, given the Blast is basically the supply for the Harley version of the MSF. They've certainly got me wondering what the new one's going to look like.

Anyone else thinking this is what you'd get if you hired Top Gear to do your motorcycle marketing?

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Well, either that, or they'd hire a bunch of loonies to use them to host a jousting tourney. :black101:

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

My Blast is now weeping in my garage.

Maybe I can argue up its trade-in price now if it's discontinued. The salesmen I work with keep complaining that they could make so many more sales if we had any to sell.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:
After blasting putting around all weekend on my 250r, I really started to wonder how anyone manages to live when they jump on a 600 super sport with no training or riding experience. I was hitting bumps and grabbing throttle, target fixating, forgetting to keep my head up, and just in general being a newbie and making newbie mistakes all weekend. If I had something with some real horsepower and torque underneath me I'd probably be in the hospital right now.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

frozenphil posted:

After blasting putting around all weekend on my 250r, I really started to wonder how anyone manages to live when they jump on a 600 super sport with no training or riding experience. I was hitting bumps and grabbing throttle, target fixating, forgetting to keep my head up, and just in general being a newbie and making newbie mistakes all weekend. If I had something with some real horsepower and torque underneath me I'd probably be in the hospital right now.

We need this quoted in the OP. :-)

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm
I'm back to hating the newbie feeling. Nothing to do with riding a bike, but I'm learning to drive, and there's some habits from the bike that really aren't helping. Plus I'm finding it tough to modulate the steering when I have to move my hands. Oh, and I keep forgetting that I can't brake, gas and clutch at the same time in the car.

Motorcycling for 2 years has given a huge sense of traffic flow and clutch control though. I just hate sucking at things.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Orange Someone posted:

Oh, and I keep forgetting that I can't brake, gas and clutch at the same time in the car.
Sure you can.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

I had a fun ride to work! Party!

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

I wouldn't mind some of that rain here in Phoenix. The last couple weeks it has been too loving hot to rain during the day so we get very light, short sprinklings in the middle of the night. Just enough to make it humid.

ranathari
May 26, 2006

by elpintogrande
I wish the rain would stop over here: I misjudged my corner speed this morning and then pulled way too hard on the front brake. Missing a large chunk of skin from my knee because that's the only bit of me that wasn't in proper gear: boots did a good job of protecting the ankle that got trapped under the bike and jacket saved my elbows.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
:sigh:

Only Indiana can make what might have been a fun motorcycle ride into the most painful experience of my entire life. Route normally takes 5.5-6 hours, ended up taking 9-9.5 hours because of construction. loving 2 hours on the way out to travel 3 miles. On the way back crash after crash made me detour through Bumsfucksville Indiana.

After 5-6 hours my rear end and knees reached a point where I could barely do anything. I was stopping every 45-60 minutes, stretched and everything, but I still reached a point where it was painful to do anything. Like 3-4 minutes to dismount the bike at gas stations painful. The Corbin seat was of no help. The best description of the pain would be if someone stuck ducttape all over your rear end, and on each bump tore it off. That was the pain I felt on every big bump in the road, which Indiana had plenty. I think I might sit on a pillow next time :cry:

Besides the seat I dont know what to do about my knees. Highway pegs would be nice, but nowhere to mount them on the SV.

Ideas would be appreciated since at this point I dont know if I can stand another long distance trip. :(

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
While a lot of your pain sounds like too much time on the road there are some other things you can do to make things more comfortable.

- Don't wear boxers, just tighty whiteys. I don't know why this helps but it does.
- Shift your rear end to a new position on the seat every 10 minutes or so, this is more important than anything else.
- Be militant about stopping, even for a short while, every hour or so. If your rear end starts to hurt then its too late and more stops at that point wont help as much as they would have earlier on.
- When you do stop don't just stand around, take a quick walk around to stretch
- If you're on a really long haul and its a nice straight open highway I like to reach my legs back and put them on the passenger pegs, sort of lying forward over the bike. This works on my standard bike, not sure how well it would work on an SV650

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

dietcokefiend posted:

Only Indiana can make what might have been a fun motorcycle ride into the most painful experience of my entire life. Route normally takes 5.5-6 hours, ended up taking 9-9.5 hours because of construction. loving 2 hours on the way out to travel 3 miles. On the way back crash after crash made me detour through Bumsfucksville Indiana.

After 5-6 hours my rear end and knees reached a point where I could barely do anything. I was stopping every 45-60 minutes, stretched and everything, but I still reached a point where it was painful to do anything. Like 3-4 minutes to dismount the bike at gas stations painful. The Corbin seat was of no help. The best description of the pain would be if someone stuck ducttape all over your rear end, and on each bump tore it off. That was the pain I felt on every big bump in the road, which Indiana had plenty. I think I might sit on a pillow next time :cry:

Besides the seat I dont know what to do about my knees. Highway pegs would be nice, but nowhere to mount them on the SV.

Ideas would be appreciated since at this point I dont know if I can stand another long distance trip. :(

It gets better as you get used to it.

On a comfortable bike (not one with the ZZR's too soft seat :argh:) I just stop at gas stations.

I move around, stand up on the bike, sit on the passenger seat, sit on the tank, side side saddle, anything to change position. It's a lot worse on my current seat which hotspots like hell after about an hour and a half.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

jdonz posted:

I wouldn't mind some of that rain here in Phoenix. The last couple weeks it has been too loving hot to rain during the day so we get very light, short sprinklings in the middle of the night. Just enough to make it humid.

You're more than welcome to come up to southern Ontario and take some of ours, we're full.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

dietcokefiend: I think a few guys on here recommend a sheepskin cover, but that might look a little out of place on an SV...

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

dietcokefiend posted:

LD Comfort shorts and BMX bicycle pegs:

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

8ender posted:

- If you're on a really long haul and its a nice straight open highway I like to reach my legs back and put them on the passenger pegs, sort of lying forward over the bike. This works on my standard bike, not sure how well it would work on an SV650
I tried this with the main pegs and it works really well at lower speeds like being stuck in bumper to bumper construction traffic. Only problem was on the right side if I wasnt careful my heel would rub on the spinning tire. At full highway speeds (80-100) I think it might be an accident waiting to happen.

Simkin posted:

dietcokefiend: I think a few guys on here recommend a sheepskin cover, but that might look a little out of place on an SV...

I it could be a bright pink assbag inflatable circle and if it worked I wouldnt care.

laymil
Sep 13, 2005

so it goes...

dietcokefiend posted:

I it could be a bright pink assbag inflatable circle and if it worked I wouldnt care.

Everyone I've met who has tried the wood/ceramic bead mats like these raves about them. My buddy now has them on his GSX-R 750 - they made what was left of our 2500 mile ride bearable.

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

Skier posted:

BMX bicycle pegs:
You know, I've thought about attaching something to the/around the radiator on the SV. Now that I've seen it in action I might to it.

Chris Knight posted:

You're more than welcome to come up to southern Ontario and take some of ours, we're full.
Yeah, I almost felt bad after I posted that. I realize that there is no happy medium but 115 for weeks is loving hot. I do feel for you guys that live in cold/rainy climates. Every summer I've been in Arizona I wondered why I haven't moved and then I remember I probably wouldn't want to ride year round.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

dietcokefiend posted:

I tried this with the main pegs and it works really well at lower speeds like being stuck in bumper to bumper construction traffic. Only problem was on the right side if I wasnt careful my heel would rub on the spinning tire. At full highway speeds (80-100) I think it might be an accident waiting to happen.

i sit up on the pillion seat a lot on long drives, i find it pretty comfortable.
i alternate between that, normal seating with regular standing up and leg stretches, and lying flat on the tank with my feet on the passenger pegs.
At the end of the day you just have to build up the correct muscles to deal with it.
I'd bet that 3 hour rides will seem easy to you now after that ordeal.

MiamiKid
Dec 14, 2003

dietcokefiend posted:

Were you heading up to Chicago? I know 65 has had a lot of construction on it lately.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

MiamiKid posted:

Were you heading up to Chicago? I know 65 has had a lot of construction on it lately.

Construction around Chicago? I know I-55, I-355, I-80, I-88 are all under construction, plus I-74 and I-39 further south and west, and all the major back country roads.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

MiamiKid posted:

Yea, my route goes 275 to 74 to 465 to 65 to 80 to 294... basically the worst possible route ever in the history of driving.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
The problem with a corbin seat is that they almost always lower your seating a position, so if you are tall you will give up legroom. The best mod you can do to just about any bike is to put Buell Lightning footpegs on them. They about a 3/4" drop to them which really makes a big difference. Buy them with springs and prepare to use a grinder to make them work. Cost is about $35 new from a dealer.

I think the best mods for comfort are as follows:
Throttle Lock/Cruise/Etc - being able to take your right hand off the bars sure is nice.

Aftermarket seat - pick your poison as to what you actually do. Corbins are very nice in my opinion.

Lower Footpegs

You need to move around on the bike - and stand up on the bike as well. About every 30 minutes I'll ride around for a minute or two standing up. Helps get blood back into places. If you start getting really sore, take a 30 minute break and take some ibuprofen.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

jdonz posted:

I do feel for you guys that live in cold/rainy climates.

Its not normally this bad in Ontario during the summer. This year has been hell for bikes. I finally snapped last week and decided I'm riding whenever I want even if it means riding through hailstorms again.

This poo poo summer is depressing because a bitter long winter is right around the corner. The summer is all we have :(

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie
I don't think Chicagoland has had 1 full week without rain all summer long. A couple weeks back I gave up and just started riding provided it wasn't actively pouring when I went to leave the house. Good thing I'm waterproof. The plus side is I wash my bike more often now...

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

Halo_4am posted:

I don't think Chicagoland has had 1 full week without rain all summer long. A couple weeks back I gave up and just started riding provided it wasn't actively pouring when I went to leave the house. Good thing I'm waterproof. The plus side is I wash my bike more often now...

I managed to make it into Chicagoland and back out without more than a mist that lasted 2-3 minutes. :smugbert:

Taelrin
Jul 17, 2004
So, I'm going to Sturgis at the end of the week and plan on being there from the 2nd through the 6th. Has anyone been before and have any suggestions as to what to do/avoid? So far my plan consists of demoing a Boss Hoss and hopefully not dying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

Taelrin posted:

So, I'm going to Sturgis at the end of the week and plan on being there from the 2nd through the 6th. Has anyone been before and have any suggestions as to what to do/avoid? So far my plan consists of demoing a Boss Hoss and hopefully not dying.

You should really head over to Custer State Park and spend a day just riding around taking pictures of wildlife and enjoying their amazing roads. Choose a day and tell everyone you meet that you'd want to ride with that you're going on that day. I expect you could have a fair sized group with you if you wanted.