Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?
I was going to install a New Old stock exhaust system.

The old one was fine, until I bent the central undercarriage protection / skid guard which pressed up against the exhaust and pulled out a bolt.

Turns out that when the previous owner replaced the CAT with a test pipe, he tossed 3 of the 5 brackets that holds the system in place.

And the heat shield where the muffler bolts onto.

:ughh:

Fortunately I have most of the parts from another truck so I should be ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Four Banger
Oct 29, 2008
I sold it. and I'll miss her, but I'd be an idiot not to.

for those unaware, I have a 1991 e30 318is, which I cannot drive since I don't have my license, but enjoy tinkering on. Today I was upstairs getting a drink and I look out the window and see 2 guys looking around my car. So I go out to ask if I can help them with anything, and they ask if the cars for sale. These guys were in a civic coupe with some rimz. So I'm already thinking "oh great, some guy wants to offer me a grand". So they ask some questions and I show them the car, they start it up. In the end they make an offer. $5,000.00. Yes, they offered me $5,000.00 for my 318is that I never even drive. Which I paid $1,500 for a year ago.

He said he asked his buddy was saying they usually go for 5-6k around here (which is what they seem to go for on Kijiji, but they NEVER sell).

That's what I did to my car today.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
I bought a 1991 Mercury Capri for my mom. It had colder air conditioning than my 1995 Lexus and my 1992 Honda (dealer-installed R-134a system from 1994).

This made me mad so I bought one of those aircon recharge hoses with the integrated pressure gauge at Wal-Mart. Maybe next summer I will have the system evacuated and refilled.

I pumped a can into the Lexus and one into the Accord and now both cars air gets colder than I can handle.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I used to be able to charge up my AC every few weeks before it leaked out again, but it wont take a charge anymore. I think its dead for real now.

turnerburna
Jan 11, 2005
Cobra Commander
Took some photos of the work I've done over the past 3 weeks. New mirrors, bumper lights and blackout panel. Konis, UCAs, LCAs, Springs and Panhard rod next once my Koni rears get here. The only other thing visually I might do is a Shelby spoiler since it flows with the lines of the car better than the stock GT.

When I was taking these a man and woman were walking by on the path. They started chating me up about the car ~ aparently the guy has a 1969 Mach1 M code and 1970 Mach1 Q code. He is going to email me some photos if anyone is interested. He also said he could get me some work done at Roush in Livonia...

turnerburna fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jul 28, 2009

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Finally pulled the transmission today. Having the jack made it a cinch once I got the bolts loose, but BMW and it's non-threaded starter can go gently caress itself. 3 feet of extension on the tranny side for the bolt, and 2 feet on the engine side for the nut. Very glad I bought some wobble extensions, they don't break loose all the time like U-joints.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I started to put the new Robbins top on my miata frame that I took off last week, but failed. I need larger rivets cause I drilled out the old ones with too large of a bit. :suicide:

Arok
Mar 17, 2007
Last week I painted the headliner, A,B and C pillars black on my 06 xB. The interior was all black from the bottom of the windows down and light gray from there up. I did not paint the oh poo poo handles, rear view mirror or the visors. I had planned to but I like it as it is. i mostly did it to hide blemishes before I sell it. I'd rather keep it but between the payment and insurance it costs me $300/mo.

I'm not sure if it's kosher to try and sell it here so I'll check the rules first. And I haven't seen many xB fans on AI anyway.

EDIT/ I used some fabric spray paint for the headliner and it took four cans. Also made it more stiff to the touch, but headliners aren't meant to feel nice. The pillars got primed gray and painted gloss black.

Arok fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jul 28, 2009

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
I jump started my car and drove it up and down the street! Haha naysayers, it does actually run!

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Octopus Magic posted:

I jump started my car and drove it up and down the street! Haha naysayers, it does actually run!

When is the last time it was started?

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

Baby Hitler posted:

When is the last time it was started?

Maybe a month or so ago.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Adjusted the brakes! (Well, this was yesterday, by the time I was done I was tired and didn't think to post.) Stops sooo much better, turns out there wasn't air in the lines after all. Maybe the adjusters are stuck (not surprising), but I don't want to go in there and fix the adjusters until I have to do shoes, 'cuz I might as well repack the wheel bearings when I'm in there, and ughh. Glad to be driving it again, though! I'd stopped, 'cause the squishy brakes half an inch from the floor scared the hell out of me. Shoulda taken a picture with the wheel off and dramatic work-light lighting in the middle of the night, but alas.

hippynerd
Nov 5, 2004

by Ozma
I hooked up a mechanical oil pressure gauge and rigged it up on the dash. Oil pressure this morning was real good (over 80 psi cold, 40-60 warmed up).

Drove into town to sign insurance paperwork after switching my insurance back to the starions. put some atf in the power steering resevoir, found oil leaking all over the place, drove back to where I work on the car, cleaned up the oil, did not find where it leaked out of, topped off the oil (was about 1/2 quart low), and found that I now have no oil pressure again :(

RapeWhistle
May 26, 2009
Two weekends ago I installed my JHM short throw shifter. God drat that thing feels like hot sex on a platter compared to stock.

Removed my useless cup holder that sits in my arm rest which I rest my arm on to shift. At least the Audi engineers decided to make it easy to remove on the B6 A4.

useless:

useful:

Tomorrow I replace cabin filter, front left fog, wipers, new floor mats, and apply rubber care to da rubber seals. Installing B7 RS4 rear sway bar and flushing tranny with new Redline MT90 over the weekend.

RapeWhistle fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jul 28, 2009

Lipstix Lesbian
Apr 20, 2004
yesterday i replaced the front brake pads and struts on my civic but when my father and i got it back together the front end was toe out as a spread eagle hooker and it squeaked on concrete so we aligned the front end with a piece of string and a level. it felt pretty good up until 70 or 80 so when i got to town i had it aligned for 60 dollars. oh well i still saved as much as 600 dollars.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

If you plan on keeping the car a long time and doing your own suspension work investigate a lifetime alignment. You pay more money up front (it was $150 at the local Firestone, vs. $50 for a one-time align) and they align whenever you bring it in.

The Firestone down the street from my workplace will align to my specifications (lots of negative camber, zero toe) and they re-do it completely free whenever I screw around with the car. I was shocked that the re-aligns were totally free. I thought they would at least crack me $5 for a "shop rag fee" or something.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
I did this:

I tracked it. AutoX solo with the SCCA last weekend. I'm fairly slow!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

trouser chili posted:

I tracked it. AutoX solo with the SCCA last weekend. I'm fairly slow!

I hope you drove in some wild goose chase route back home to make sure no one followed you.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

kimbo305 posted:

I hope you drove in some wild goose chase route back home to make sure no one followed you.

I went to work :(

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

I went to the junkyard at lunch and found a fender in the correct color to replace the damaged driver's fender in the 1992 Accord I inherited from my dad almost two months ago.

The last time I saw him alive he had given me some cash to find him a replacement fender.

Doctor Bud
Jul 25, 2008

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
Changed the oil in the two vehicles that are about to make a 2230 mile round trip each. Also bought washer fluid and put a quart of oil, gallon of coolant, and a small toolkit and jumper cables in the trunk.

hippynerd
Nov 5, 2004

by Ozma
I checked my oil pressure again (while cold), pressure came up nicely, I warmed the car up, still had good oil pressure. drove the car around, no problem with the oil pressure. parked the car and worked on the 83.

I replaced the oil tube on the turbo (had a pinhole that blew oil all over the windshield,(hoodless), turbo and exhaust manifold making smoke everywhere I went. The 83 is running, and not leaking anything, but its not running quite right yet.

After fixing the 83 I went back to the 86. I started it up, and saw no oil pressure. Oh noes! I moved the mechanical gauge and oil pressure popped right up. I think the way it was mounted was putting pressure on the line, causing the gauge to not work. My guess is that since changing the filter, I have not actually lost oil pressure, just the gauge. I still have an oil leak to track down, but Im feeling pretty relived that I dont have an oil pressure problem.

Im going to try painting some of the 83 today, which may not work out, as its going to be over 100 degrees.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Fixed my cupholder that I broke when I sat on it. JB Weld Putty and a nail I found in my garage. I lost the spring which swings it open, but it still works fine. The best part is that the putty is the same exact color as the plastic.

Click here for the full 2048x1536 image.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jul 29, 2009

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

My SC400 has a vibration above 60mph. I swapped tires on and off the car to determine that both tires that were on the front are bad. I had already taken the wheels to the tire shop to have the balance checked.

nattrass
Feb 2, 2009
Found that my celica gt-four (alltrac) has a lovely rotten sill.

Dreading replacing it, probably find the entire car is rotten too.

digger_smolkin
Feb 23, 2007

Any Problem Solved

Is A New Problem Made
Last week my truck began randomly idling at 3500 rpm, so over the weekend I put this on.

So now it looks like:

It's the prettiest thing on the truck, and it's making so much more power (old pump was original with >200K) that I'm still trying to get the trans adjusted properly.

Fatty_McLumpkin
Sep 30, 2002

Oh I loooove going to the mooon ahaha ahhhahaaa
Well.. i haven't DONE it yet because I just picked these up.

BUUTTT....

and for ultimate :psyduck:

safety?? :raise: Whatever do you mean??

:gonk:

Anyone know where I can buy rails for these seats that were actually made for my car?

hippynerd
Nov 5, 2004

by Ozma
^^^ Under the seats that are in your car.

I started painting my 83 finally. I've painted (but need some fixing) the fenders hood, valance last month. Today I did a bunch of prep and started painting the body.

the 86 Still leaks oil :(

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
Swapped relays, hoping to cure an intermittent problem where the A/C blower on my '04 GTO would stop working. Since it's been a hundred goddamn degrees here for more than a month, I don't think I need my rear window defroster anyway.

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Basking in the cathode glow
1.Replaced my crappy repro Corvair fuel pump with another crappy repro Corvair fuel pump. The chinese clearly don't know how to make decent diaphragm material. Fuel pump diaphragms should not be eaten away by FUEL.

2. Applied this sticker to my corroded rear bumper.

Click here for the full 1024x636 image.

A friend gave it to me, I had to do it.

MullardEL34 fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jul 30, 2009

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro

Fatty_McLumpkin posted:

Well.. i haven't DONE it yet because I just picked these up.

BUUTTT....

Naruto wall scroll spotted.

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

Did the rear brakes on my truck, probably the first time in 20 years, also replaced the fan clutch and put on a new passenger side mirror.

I don't think that seal is supposed to be out like that.

$75 from Ford, the $15 NAPA one didn't stay where it was put.

Bought a Battery charger.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Technically I did it the other day, but I pulled my clutch to find out it was in great shape!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Timage
Feb 6, 2006
I replaced all the coil packs for my Stagea today with after market splitfire items. These are supposed to be near-invincible so I shouldn't be having any misfire problems for a while. It's a really annoying job though and I've now got bloody hands from all the sharp pointy things on the engine.

I only took photos of the half-way point. As you can see, the last coil is in a really inconvenient place. Blue things = new coil packs.

These coil packs are the only non-standard components in my engine bay.

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."
Whew did this all three hours ago on my MR2.

*Replaced my front sway bar bushings
*Replaced my front control rod bushings
*Front tie rod ends
*Replaced rack and pinion bushings
*Replaced rear balljoints
*Rotated the tires
*Found my mystery oil leak
*Replaced the bolt that fell out of my transmission mount. :(
*Realigned my front torque mount since the engine was sitting a little low. (Led me to discover my transmission mount's missing bolt)
*Adjusted my new rear strut bar to fit and bolted it in.

Tomarrow;
*Fix my toe-in to I can drive it to get it aligned Monday
*Take it on some twisty country roads to "bed in" the new suspension. :3:
*Plan out the rear suspension overhaul.
*Replace the rear torque mount since it's rubber shock has completely fallen apart thanks to the engine wiggling around due to the missing transmission mount
*Clean the interior and cry about the cracked dash, and worn drivers seat.

My driver's side tie-rod end was a handful of miles from failing. Ugh, good timing.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Well I got a head start on the Volvo's tuneup today since it stopped raining for an hour and I had nothing else to do.

Replaced the air filter:

Replaced the cabin filter:

Replaced the drive belt :psyduck: (yes that is a chunk missing, and it was cracked all the way around like you see. Suprised it was still in one piece, honestly).

Replaced the headlight wipers
Put my wife's german plate on the front
Noted that I still get a racket from the belt area, need to look more into it. Hopefully its just the tensioner or the idler. I'll need to get in there with my stethoscope.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Today I replaced the rear muffler, and in doing so swore I'd never attempt it again with a mild steel pipe. I also replaced the old broken dials with some slightly less old and much less broken ones, causing my car to double in mileage instantaneously and suddenly look in very good condition. Then I topped up the oil and coolant and went on the first drive I've been on in my car without something being broken. :unsmith:

Until I noticed that my temperature gauge still doesn't work. I'd put it down to the old dials being knackered, so I guess I'm going to spend tomorrow playing with temperature senders. :argh:

Bobby_Wokkerfella
Apr 16, 2007

i am a black female myself and i am not good of can't sporting another black person who doesn't look black,like other brothas and sistas
Focused mainly on the interior today;
Pulled apart and dyed 3 out of 4 of my door panels in the 240, as well as buying some gray carpet dye to completely change my interior from browns to blacks/grays over the next few weekends.

Also bought some fabric to make some custom seat throws later on :gay:

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

spent 3hrs trying to get yesterdays mud off the thing- still havent gotten it all, but its significantly better than it was!

then a minor service- oil, filter, fuel filter, chassis grease and a tyre rotation- now my tyres are as noisy as hell until the big tread blocks wear into their new positions!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Landerig
Oct 27, 2008

by Fistgrrl
Checked the oil and coolant levels.

Dumped more gear oil into my rear differential. drat leaky seal...

Topped off the washerfluid level, and cleaned corrosion off the sensor's connecting tabs so it'll quit giving me false readings.