Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Also, with regards to the quick launch issue...instead of 30 programs on your task bar, try to accustom yourself to "WinKey+first couple letters from program name+Enter".

Many times this is faster and more convenient. Many of us already learned this most excellent behavior on Vista, but I realize many(most?) people are coming from XP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

Thermopyle posted:

Also, with regards to the quick launch issue...instead of 30 programs on your task bar, try to accustom yourself to "WinKey+first couple letters from program name+Enter".

Many times this is faster and more convenient. Many of us already learned this most excellent behavior on Vista, but I realize many(most?) people are coming from XP.

And for another shortcut, Win+shift+# will open a new instance of the #'th application.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

So I just discovered the "previous versions" function in 7 and I think I'm in love. I was able to replace a corrupted registry hive with one from a previous restore point without even booting into safe mode.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

Vinlaen posted:

Are you talking about Dreamspark?

Anyways, I have another question...

Can you access Windows 7 remotely over the web?

I'm very familiar with Remote Desktop but it's blocked at my work so I've been doing some research and it seems like two things exist:

Remote Desktop Web Connection
and
Terminal Services Web (/tsweb directory)

Are either of these available in Windows 7? Do they use regular HTTP(S)?

Try tunneling RDP over SSH? That works pretty well, assuming you install an SSH server on your PC and that its not blocked as well.

Lacc
Jul 12, 2004

Install fist, problem solved.
I did lots of things in weird old ways in previous OSes. I had that two-row taskbar too.
Deciding to forget everything and doing things the default way turned out to be a pretty good idea. I even use stuff I previously ignored, like the libraries, built-in backup and all kinds of explorer views. I guess what I'm saying is that Win 7 wouldn't be nearly as nice if I was still stuck in the past.

Also,

brc64 posted:

Easier than that, you can just middle-click an icon to open a new instance.

m2pt5 posted:

middle-clicking on an Aero Peek preview to close the window.
holy poo poo.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
I don't really get why someone wouldn't like the new taskbar. It's like the old one, except that it has a quicklaunch bar integrated. Instead of having one icon to start a program, and another to show that it's running and to switch to it, you just have one icon to do and show all of those things.

Plus you have the lists, and peek, and progress indicators and all that jazz. I don't get why you would want to lose all that functionality and go back to using seperate buttons for launching and focusing and what have you.

Then again, I understand that people can be rather stubborn. I myself would be rather angry if I couldn't put my taskbar vertically, and I know a guy who gets very mad on the subject of the Office Ribbon.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Dyscrasia posted:

Try tunneling RDP over SSH? That works pretty well, assuming you install an SSH server on your PC and that its not blocked as well.
SSH really won't work for me either unfortunately.

Does the "RDP Web Connection" (or TS Web) work strictly over HTTP?

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Black Pants posted:

The only thing I don't like is when a program has a launcher, so the button pinned would be that launcher but it would show another icon on the taskbar for the actual program once it's running.

This. I like the new pin thing, one one app I use on a regular basis has this issue and it annoys the crap out of me. Is there a fix for this yet?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Psimitry posted:

You can make the new taskbar look like the old with a few clicks:

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Lum posted:

Posted earlier today on AVForums

In that case, I'm glad to be proven wrong! I did have a quick scan on hotukdeals before I made the post, but if more people can get it at that price, I'm all for it. I've also found that Argos has it for £49.99, which is even better.

Daktari
May 30, 2006

As men in rage strike those that wish them best,
I've been using the RC 7100 for a while. Can I still use it free of charge up to March next year if I upgrade it to 7600?

scarymonkey
Jul 15, 2003

by angerbeet

Daktari posted:

I've been using the RC 7100 for a while. Can I still use it free of charge up to March next year if I upgrade it to 7600?

You can't upgrade RC to 7600. It has to be a clean install.

revolther
May 27, 2008
If you aren't dreadfully attached to desktop icons, you can enable the "Desktop" toolbar, disable "Show Title" and "Show Text", then all your desktop shortcuts are iconized all small and positionable.

I'm sure you could do it with any folder full of links, but with a couple clicks, there's some quicklaunch functionality.

Bleepblorp3587
Jun 1, 2003

scarymonkey posted:

You can't upgrade RC to 7600. It has to be a clean install.
The same trick that worked for upgrading the beta to RC works for upgrading RC to RTM.

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

Irish Bandit posted:

The same trick that worked for upgrading the beta to RC works for upgrading RC to RTM.

Mind elaborating?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Full Circle posted:

Mind elaborating?

You go into sources\cversion.ini and set the client number below your current build. (7100 should work fine, but if it doesn't just drop it further, though 7000 is probably where I'd draw the line.)

Still not the best of ideas, because there's a risk of the system flaking the hell out on you because of old files, but it's at least possible.

Capnbigboobies
Dec 2, 2004

Irish Bandit posted:

I can confirm that this trick worked from like build 7127 to RTM.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Forgive me if it's been asked, I might've even asked it before but I don't remember any answer:

I'd like a way to click on an icon on the taskbar for an application and have it bring all of the windows associated with that app to the front - just like clicking the icon in a Dock will do. Does anyone know how to do this?

For example, Digsby is the primary one I want to do this with: I've got the buddy list and a chat window open, I'd like to click the Digsby icon and bring both to the front, instead of having to hover, click the specific window, hover and click the other. It works like this for a single window, but as soon as you get a second one going it stops - does anyone know if this is at all possible?

Lum posted:

This. I like the new pin thing, one one app I use on a regular basis has this issue and it annoys the crap out of me. Is there a fix for this yet?

Try to find a way to disable the launcher - usually they pass a command line option to another exe to bring it up instead of the launcher, so if you can figure that out, you can do it.

There's still no functionality to manually force or prevent groupings of certain apps, sadly.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
For the last few years I've been using Launchy, so I'd weaned myself off clicking icons to launch apps anyway. Now that 7 has that functionality inbuilt, I'm a pig in mud.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Casao posted:

Try to find a way to disable the launcher - usually they pass a command line option to another exe to bring it up instead of the launcher, so if you can figure that out, you can do it.

There's still no functionality to manually force or prevent groupings of certain apps, sadly.

Not really possible. It's a rather complicated terminal server client style product called NX. The launcher handles the SSH session and all the negotiation that needs to be done over SSH, then it launches a modified version of CygWin/X (nxwin.exe) to receive the graphics from the remote machine, finally it hides itself and the SSH process with just nxwin.exe remaining on the taskbar.

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help

Irish Bandit posted:

He wouldn't be able to avoid activating it all the way until next March like he needs, though. Unless there's some trick to avoiding activation even longer, but at that point he'd have essentially just plain pirated Win7.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Casao posted:

Forgive me if it's been asked, I might've even asked it before but I don't remember any answer:

I'd like a way to click on an icon on the taskbar for an application and have it bring all of the windows associated with that app to the front - just like clicking the icon in a Dock will do. Does anyone know how to do this?

For example, Digsby is the primary one I want to do this with: I've got the buddy list and a chat window open, I'd like to click the Digsby icon and bring both to the front, instead of having to hover, click the specific window, hover and click the other. It works like this for a single window, but as soon as you get a second one going it stops - does anyone know if this is at all possible?

Sort of found a solution to this:

Ctrl+Clicking will cycle through the windows, so ctrl+clicking twice will bring up both windows (3 times for 3, w/e) and will keep cycling back and forth. That's slightly more useful than using Peek, and at least requires less thought, so it might serve. Gonna keep looking for a registry tweak or something for this.

Cryptic Edge
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Just tried to do upgrade from vista to RTM, it crashed and burned on the upgrade :(

Doing rollback now.

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

Casao posted:

Sort of found a solution to this:

Ctrl+Clicking will cycle through the windows, so ctrl+clicking twice will bring up both windows (3 times for 3, w/e) and will keep cycling back and forth. That's slightly more useful than using Peek, and at least requires less thought, so it might serve. Gonna keep looking for a registry tweak or something for this.

Some guy wrote up an autohotkey script to do what you asked for. I looked at it but never bothered installing:

http://lifehacker.com/5280228/taskbar-overlord-tweaks-the-windows-7-taskbar

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

deep square leg posted:

For the last few years I've been using Launchy, so I'd weaned myself off clicking icons to launch apps anyway. Now that 7 has that functionality inbuilt, I'm a pig in mud.
I still use Launchy. The start menu search isn't clever enough to equate "rdp" as "Remote DesktoP connection" and then learn those personal shorthands.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

xamphear posted:

I still use Launchy. The start menu search isn't clever enough to equate "rdp" as "Remote DesktoP connection" and then learn those personal shorthands.

That's true, but I've just changed my style a bit. 'rdp' became 're'. I would be good if it were more configurable.

NoArmedMan
Apr 1, 2003

Why not just type mstsc?

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat

Psimitry posted:

Protect it from maximized windows for one thing. I always made sure that "Always on top" or whatever was selected, so with a widescreen monitor, I would always have the sidebar partition separate from the maximized browser or whatever I was doing.

I hated that they removed the sidebar as well until I discovered Winkey+G

Best hotkey MS has put in :D

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

Shadowgate posted:

I hated that they removed the sidebar as well until I discovered Winkey+G

Best hotkey MS has put in :D

:aaaaa:

I have been looking for this hotkey.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

xamphear posted:

Copy the Remote Desktop shortcut, paste it into %appdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs and name it RDP

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

I'm having trouble installing Windows 7 on my laptop.

I make it boot from the DVD and it says loading windows files, then it shows the little flag loading and then I just get a blank screen with a mouse cursor. Nothing happens after this. Its not frozen because I can move the mouse but I've waited over an hour and nothing happens.

Could it have something to do with Vista being hosed on my laptop (won't boot). If so how do I format my laptop? I hit F8 on startup and then I get a list of options such as Repair your computer (doesn't work) and a bunch of others...

I don't have a recovery disc as it never came with one. I remember being able to restore to factory settings before.

It's a toshiba A200

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Fists Up posted:

I make it boot from the DVD and it says loading windows files, then it shows the little flag loading and then I just get a blank screen with a mouse cursor. Nothing happens after this. Its not frozen because I can move the mouse but I've waited over an hour and nothing happens.

Could it have something to do with Vista being hosed on my laptop (won't boot). If so how do I format my laptop? I hit F8 on startup and then I get a list of options such as Repair your computer (doesn't work) and a bunch of others...

I don't have a recovery disc as it never came with one. I remember being able to restore to factory settings before.

It's a toshiba A200

I don't think it's due to hosed up Vista install, but if it is, you could use GParted or similar to do the format.

But that sounds like the kind of thing caused by some USB devices - few people here had it, be sure you've unplugged any excess USB devices and, if possible maybe, turn them off in the BIOS.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

Fists Up posted:

It's a toshiba A200

If you at all want to salvage your Vista partition, I think you can download (legally?) a 120-something meg repair disk.

e: here: http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/windows-vista-recovery-disc-download/

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Casao posted:

Copy the Remote Desktop shortcut, paste it into %appdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs and name it RDP

You can also put regular shortcuts named whatever you want in your home directory and they will show up as expected in start search. Handy for web browser:
code:
ie http://what.ever.com
...does exactly what you'd expect.

slovach
Oct 6, 2005
Lennie Fuckin' Briscoe
Can anyone recommend me a USB wireless adapter that won't give me grief in the 64 bit version of Windows 7?

Mine is an old pile of poo poo and has absolutely no support for Vista, let alone 64 bit. D-Link even says on their website they have no support for it any more.
http://www.dlink.com/products/?tab=3&pid=DWL-G122&rev=DWL-G122_revA2

slovach fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jul 30, 2009

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Godzilla07 posted:

That's because WMP12 does not have gapless playback.

Yes it does! I just had it work while listening to American Idiot as a matter of fact.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

Fists Up posted:

It's a toshiba A200

Another thing to try is to disable Legacy USB support in the BIOS if it's enabled. Some Toshiba's are lame about it while doing certain things outside of a regular Windows install.

CombatMedic
Feb 26, 2004

ANUDDAH SUCCESSFOOL PRECEEDJUH!
I'm having a bizarre networking issue.

At work I connect to the internet through my Touch Pro cell phone on a laptop, via a program called PDAnet. I've used the program for at least a couple of years now. I get latency of about 100-200ms. I used to be able to run Steam games online with a reasonable level of playability.

Since I upgraded to Win 7, I have not been able to connect to any Steam servers. It simply will not query the "master server" and thus will not show me any available servers. I've tried completely disabling Windows firewall but nothing happens.

I know this is horribly vague but I'd really like to be able to kill time at work with some games and Win 7 seems to be cockblocking me.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

My Windows 7 experience thus far has been less than enjoyable. I assumed my processor (2ghz Centrino Duo) was 64 bit compatible...it is not, I went ahead and downloaded it and burned it off, formatted my 32 bit Vista partition, and ran into that lovely little message saying my CPU was not compatible. That was last night.

Fast forward to this morning, I get the 32 bit version installed, I'm not really sure how I feel about the new taskbar just yet, but anyway, I'm having an issue with Windows Live Messenger. It refuses to stay signed in for any more than a couple of minutes, and seeing its one of my primary functions for this computer, its trying my patience ever so slightly. I've never had that issue for as long as I've been using MSN/WLM, has anyone else been having this issue with the Win7 RC?
I went through the Windows firewall and made sure it wasn't being blocked, but aside from that, I'm not sure what it could be....any help appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

codo27 posted:

My Windows 7 experience thus far has been less than enjoyable. I assumed my processor (2ghz Centrino Duo) was 64 bit compatible...it is not, I went ahead and downloaded it and burned it off, formatted my 32 bit Vista partition, and ran into that lovely little message saying my CPU was not compatible. That was last night.

Fast forward to this morning, I get the 32 bit version installed, I'm not really sure how I feel about the new taskbar just yet, but anyway, I'm having an issue with Windows Live Messenger. It refuses to stay signed in for any more than a couple of minutes, and seeing its one of my primary functions for this computer, its trying my patience ever so slightly. I've never had that issue for as long as I've been using MSN/WLM, has anyone else been having this issue with the Win7 RC?
I went through the Windows firewall and made sure it wasn't being blocked, but aside from that, I'm not sure what it could be....any help appreciated.

My first suggestion if you have problems in the RC is always to try upgrading to a 72xx build.