Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

codo27 posted:

My Windows 7 experience thus far has been less than enjoyable. I assumed my processor (2ghz Centrino Duo) was 64 bit compatible...it is not, I went ahead and downloaded it and burned it off, formatted my 32 bit Vista partition, and ran into that lovely little message saying my CPU was not compatible. That was last night.

Fast forward to this morning, I get the 32 bit version installed, I'm not really sure how I feel about the new taskbar just yet, but anyway, I'm having an issue with Windows Live Messenger. It refuses to stay signed in for any more than a couple of minutes, and seeing its one of my primary functions for this computer, its trying my patience ever so slightly. I've never had that issue for as long as I've been using MSN/WLM, has anyone else been having this issue with the Win7 RC?
I went through the Windows firewall and made sure it wasn't being blocked, but aside from that, I'm not sure what it could be....any help appreciated.

To narrow down this issue, try using a different MSN client like Digsby. Who knows, you may even like Digsby more than WLM (I know I do!).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Hmm, I assumed I had the latest, I only downloaded it from the Microsoft site just last night, I just brought up system info and it shows 6.1.7100... strange

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

codo27 posted:

Hmm, I assumed I had the latest, I only downloaded it from the Microsoft site just last night, I just brought up system info and it shows 6.1.7100... strange

That's the latest you can get direct from Microsoft until RTM. The 72xx and 76xx builds are leaked builds that weren't officially released.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

AlexDeGruven posted:

That's the latest you can get direct from Microsoft until RTM. The 72xx and 76xx builds are leaked builds that weren't officially released.

Ah very good, I kind of suspected that. Is there a difference in those, so much so that it would be worth me going through the Windows setup process again?
I think I've nailed down the cause anyway, I uninstalled Norton 360 and its working fine (for now) so I assume it was a conflict with the firewall within that.

edit: no I think I still need to smash everything, it did stay signed in much longer this time but it just went off on me again. I think I'm going to try that digsby program.

codo27 fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jul 30, 2009

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Oh god. Norton 360 is a terrible product at the best of times, and yet here you are trying to run it on an OS that it wasn't even designed for, despite the fact that it has to install itself at a pretty low level in the OS in order to function.

That said, shouldn't Win7 pop up a message telling you that this app is unsupported?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Indeed it did, but I went on anyways.
Anyway, now my WLM is fine, but I have another issue. Rather than backup all my mp3s on my buddy's external along with all the rest of my stuff, I thought I'd just copy it all back from my mp3 player. Well, thats being a total bitch as well, sometimes it works, but with certain folders seemingly it will freeze up and eventually give me a message that says "Invalid handle" or "The semaphore timeout period has expired". I have never seen either of these before and am quite perplexed/enraged at this time.

edit: however, I think this is more the fault of my lovely Zen than the new Windows, when this freeze up occurs, I unplug the zen and it still shows the transfer animation on the screen, yet when I plug it back in, the charge level bar shows up docked again somehow, but windows dont pick it up. Then I have to reset it via the little pin hole in the bottom, and can manage to get a few more songs again before it freezes. Yay

codo27 fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jul 30, 2009

ho mercy
Jul 8, 2006

Did you mean: dudefarts Top 2 results shown
I installed 7 on a separate partition but I want to run it as my sole operating system now. How can I delete the partition with Vista on it if it is the "System Partition?"

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

ho mercy posted:

I installed 7 on a separate partition but I want to run it as my sole operating system now. How can I delete the partition with Vista on it if it is the "System Partition?"

Boot into 7, then delete the Vista partition?

E: VVV Format it first?

Factor Mystic fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jul 31, 2009

ho mercy
Jul 8, 2006

Did you mean: dudefarts Top 2 results shown

Factor Mystic posted:

Boot into 7, then delete the Vista partition?

The Windows partitioning software doesn't allow you to delete the system partition which is what the Vista partition is. I don't see any easy way of changing it.

Exclusive
Jan 1, 2008

ho mercy posted:

The Windows partitioning software doesn't allow you to delete the system partition which is what the Vista partition is. I don't see any easy way of changing it.

Use non-Windows software then. Boot into GParted.

dorkanoid
Dec 21, 2004

ho mercy posted:

The boot loader/boot menu is most likely stored on your Vista partition, so after deleting it you might have to boot from the Windows 7 CD again to repair the startup - make sure you have it available before you start ;)

(My disk with the system partition on died, and I spent half a day getting my system to boot again - it didn't help that I accidentally wrote the NEW system image to my RAID, effectively breaking it until a rebuild could be done)

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Warning to anyone who's buying Windows 7 from http://www.additionsdirect.co.uk/ - as far as I can tell, it applied the discount on the website, but didn't apply it to the money taken from my account, so I seem to have just paid more than the MS price for this.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

ho mercy posted:

The Windows partitioning software doesn't allow you to delete the system partition which is what the Vista partition is.

It's not, if you're booted into Win7. Unless Vista is installed on your C: drive?

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

Shadowgate posted:

I hated that they removed the sidebar as well until I discovered Winkey+G

Best hotkey MS has put in :D

I miss the sidebar, as i had it set to [ermanently be on top, mostly because i had a clipboard history gadget that was right there without having to hit a key to bring it back on top.
I did some googling ad there does seem to be a hack to get it back, just haven't bothered trying it as yet.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Leovinus posted:

Warning to anyone who's buying Windows 7 from http://www.additionsdirect.co.uk/ - as far as I can tell, it applied the discount on the website, but didn't apply it to the money taken from my account, so I seem to have just paid more than the MS price for this.

Holy poo poo. What about the confirmation email?

Time to ring up your bank and do a chargeback.

Edit: Apparently Dabs and Argos currently have it at £50.

Lum fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jul 31, 2009

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

Shannow posted:

I miss the sidebar, as i had it set to [ermanently be on top, mostly because i had a clipboard history gadget that was right there without having to hit a key to bring it back on top.
I did some googling ad there does seem to be a hack to get it back, just haven't bothered trying it as yet.

Right click on your gadgets.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

CombatMedic posted:

I'm having a bizarre networking issue.

At work I connect to the internet through my Touch Pro cell phone on a laptop, via a program called PDAnet. I've used the program for at least a couple of years now. I get latency of about 100-200ms. I used to be able to run Steam games online with a reasonable level of playability.

Have you tried using WMWifirouter or the new HTC wifi app instead of PDAnet?

hobb
Sep 20, 2001
Ive been wanting to upgrade to a 72xx build myself, but I read that the rc keys aren't compatible with a few of them. If thats not the case I'll actually considering doing it sometime as Ive had some niggling issues with the rc thats not enough to warrant uninstalling it, but they do bug me.

Steiler Drep
Nov 30, 2004
what?
I'm thinking on installing Windows 7 on my 2009 13" MBP, but I'm unsure due to it's huge size. I've got a 320gb hard drive with a remaining 80gb, and it appears a minimum requirement is 20gb for the 64bit version. Is there a way to reduce the installation size? I don't really want printer drivers and other languages other than english, I just want it as my gaming and applications that don't work on Crossover system. Does nLite work on this? What is the minimum size of installation I can get?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Steiler Drep posted:

I'm thinking on installing Windows 7 on my 2009 13" MBP, but I'm unsure due to it's huge size. I've got a 320gb hard drive with a remaining 80gb, and it appears a minimum requirement is 20gb for the 64bit version. Is there a way to reduce the installation size? I don't really want printer drivers and other languages other than english, I just want it as my gaming and applications that don't work on Crossover system. Does nLite work on this? What is the minimum size of installation I can get?

vLite works, can cut it down to under 8 gigs, but the install usually isn't over 12 gigs anyway - it has to copy the files, then extract them onto the hdd.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

fishmech posted:

Yes it does! I just had it work while listening to American Idiot as a matter of fact.

It could be crossfading. I tried this with Quadrophenia (the album by The Who) and it doesn't work. foobar is better anyways because it doesn't have bloat.

myself
Jul 17, 2001

Are there any known issues with Windows 7 + Nvidia cards and fan speed? I posted earlier how with newest Nvidia drivers, in 7, the fan speed doesn't go down after playing a game (it was Left 4 Dead), I installed slightly older Nvidia drivers and the fan speed still seems really high during games (both in Ghostbusters and L4D) but goes down afterwards at least when I quit the game. I dunno, maybe it is supposed to go quite loud in cooling the card but I don't remember it being this loud before.. the card I'm using is a Geforce 9600 GTS.

myself fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Jul 31, 2009

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

codo27 posted:

Indeed it did, but I went on anyways.
"My experience with Windows 7 has been atrocious! I went to install an application that it does not support and it told me not to, but I blatently ignored it and did so anyway. Now it has the audacity to have problems! I HATE YOU MICROSOFT WINDOWS 7 IS HORRIBLE!!!!"

You sound kind of stupid. Do you blame Ford when you put diesel into your petrol car because it's cheaper, and then the engine shits itself?

myself
Jul 17, 2001

Well I installed DirectX 10 and cleaned my card with airduster and the problem went away, so one of those things fixed it (probably the dusting :p)

revolther
May 27, 2008
Just went ahead and upgraded from RC to RTM. Besides taking ten times longer than a regular install it seemed to go fairly well.

The only problem I've noticed has been Chrome stopped working. No combination of settings has made it work, however Chromium loaded up just fine, so I merged my settings into that and all is well.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

Messadiah posted:

Right click on your gadgets.

That's an almost, but they're then on top of other things i might want to click on unless i was to resize all my windows to leave a strip at the side.

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

Shannow posted:

That's an almost, but they're then on top of other things i might want to click on unless i was to resize all my windows to leave a strip at the side.

So hit Win+G so they sit at the order in the stack you want them to be?

They shortcut is different, but its not any different than what Win+space did in Vista.

Daktari
May 30, 2006

As men in rage strike those that wish them best,

revolther posted:

Just went ahead and upgraded from RC to RTM. Besides taking ten times longer than a regular install it seemed to go fairly well.

You still get to use it without paying until March next year?
Tried asking a bit earlier but the guy thought I was asking about a clean install.

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

Daktari posted:

Tried asking a bit earlier but the guy thought I was asking about a clean install.

No, the RTM (that is 7600) leaked will be the same bits you buy in a store starting in October. You get the 30 day trial period, which can be rearmed 3 times giving 120 days (or 4 months) to run it without a key. Since 7 will go on sale within that time, you should be able to enter your key in then. Most of the 7200 builds that were leaked should work with the RC keys.

The real question is if the upgrade key everyone has bought will work in such an install. If upgrades only work from activated Windows installs, what will it do when you didn't enter the key in until months after upgrading?

osigas
Mar 4, 2006

Then maybe you shouldn't be living here
Just pre-ordered my copy of Professional "E" and I didn't realise that the EU crap about IE they had to have this in the product information:

quote:

Please be aware that you should download a web browser of your choice and burn it to disc before starting the Windows installation, as this release does not include a browser.
:bang:

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

osigas posted:

Just pre-ordered my copy of Professional "E" and I didn't realise that the EU crap about IE they had to have this in the product information:

:bang:

That is no longer true:
Microsoft caves to EU pressure, will offer browser ballot

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Daktari posted:

You can use an unactivated copy of Windows (Vista and forward) for up to 120 days, and possibly more, depending on how long the initial trial is set up.

You do this by installing without activating. Then, when the activation messages come to about 1 or 2 days left, you can use slmgr -rearm from the command line (as Administrator) to reset the activation counter for another period. If (at least in Vista's case) you miss the timer and end up in 'Reduced Functionality Mode', you will have no choice but to activate legitimately, or reinstall and start the process over.

Fake Edit: Beaten with some other details as well.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

kapinga posted:

No, the RTM (that is 7600) leaked will be the same bits you buy in a store starting in October. You get the 30 day trial period, which can be rearmed 3 times giving 120 days (or 4 months) to run it without a key. Since 7 will go on sale within that time, you should be able to enter your key in then. Most of the 7200 builds that were leaked should work with the RC keys.

The real question is if the upgrade key everyone has bought will work in such an install. If upgrades only work from activated Windows installs, what will it do when you didn't enter the key in until months after upgrading?

This was my plan, and I've already installed RTM without a key, but I didn't realize I installed Professional, but I only pre-ordered the 50$ version. I'm going to have to reformat in order to downgrade, wont I?

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

kapinga posted:

So hit Win+G so they sit at the order in the stack you want them to be?

They shortcut is different, but its not any different than what Win+space did in Vista.

Yeah, but it's still a pain to have to flick back to it every time.

This works fine

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.
I miss the dark (-er than window borders) Vista Taskbar and how the titlebar & Taskbar turn opaque when a window is maximized. Does anybody know of a way to get that behavior back?

I also miss the blue line on active windows for some reason.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Shmoogy posted:

This was my plan, and I've already installed RTM without a key, but I didn't realize I installed Professional, but I only pre-ordered the 50$ version. I'm going to have to reformat in order to downgrade, wont I?

Yep reformat. You loaded Windows 7 RC Ultimate not Pro btw.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

redeyes posted:

Yep reformat. You loaded Windows 7 RC Ultimate not Pro btw.

Gaahh, I meant Ultimate. That's a pain in the rear end, I wanted to do it now so I wouldn't have to in October. Does 7 Ultimate not have all the versions on the disc like Vista Ultimate had, or did I screw up while installing and miss the chance to install a different version?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Shmoogy posted:

Gaahh, I meant Ultimate. That's a pain in the rear end, I wanted to do it now so I wouldn't have to in October. Does 7 Ultimate not have all the versions on the disc like Vista Ultimate had, or did I screw up while installing and miss the chance to install a different version?

No, you didn't screw up, its just that MS doesn't care about making RC Ultimate to Upgrades work. Every windows disc has all the versions but they are not available without editing the DVD and changing some .ini files.

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

Shmoogy posted:

You have to edit a file to enable the option to install a different version.

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/...c-media-or-iso/

Note I have not installed RTM so I'm just going on reports of what others have done.

e:f,b

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice
I think I lost the use of the Windows + arrow keys for minimizing, maximizing, etc.

I know it worked when I first installed Windows 7, but I think I might have turned off that function somewhere. I checked the "make the keyboard easier to use" and the "Adjust for best appearance or best performance" areas, but I can't find the option to turn it back on. Anyone have any idea where this option might be hiding, or what I might have done to turn it off?