Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

WoW does not even obey the triangle thing because you cannot travel in straight lines most of the time. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Vanadium posted:

WoW does not even obey the triangle thing because you cannot travel in straight lines most of the time. :colbert:

Flying mounts :colbert:

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

quadreb posted:

Flying mounts :colbert:
Until 3.2 very little of the time you spend leveling involves a flying mount.

chips
Dec 25, 2004
Mein Führer! I can walk!
Sorry guys but I'm out, you're cramping my style.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg20327195.600-breaking-down-social-networks-could-foster-innovation.html

dancavallaro
Sep 10, 2006
My title sucks
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Serious Hardware / Software Crap > The Cavern of COBOL > WoW Megathread?

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

dancavallaro posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Serious Hardware / Software Crap > The Cavern of COBOL > WOW6432 Megathread?

:smug:

dancavallaro
Sep 10, 2006
My title sucks

Factor Mystic posted:

I don't get it?

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

Factor Mystic posted:

The WOW64 hacks are actually on-topic :(

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

dancavallaro posted:

I don't get it?

It's Windows .. on Windows, man! It's the new wave!

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD
That article might need to stay away from all these internet social networks as well. Here's one reason why they get it wrong:

"Bold ideas are typically incompletely formed when first conceived and easily shot down by criticism."

That's true, minus the "bold" part. An idea can be new, good, bad, etc, but the boldness behind a "bold idea" is not actually the idea itself. It's the person who pursues it despite popular criticisms. You can't be bold about something if you're not receiving negative input from somewhere.

Meanwhile, if someone does put an idea out to the big bullies on social networks, get lambasted, discouraged, and drops the idea, it's at least out there for others to possibly take interest and try out themselves. Boldly.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/api/javax/xml/transform/TransformerFactory.html

Apparently just having an XSLT transformer isn't enough. It needs to be instantiated using a factory for extra flexibility. At first I thought it was for the ability to read input and write output as streams, SAX events, STAX events, and DOM trees with the same API. Now I've learned that it's also great for use cases such as the developer having one XSLT implementation which accepts blank namespaces and the server having another XSLT implementation which suffers a fatal error whenever it encounters a blank namespace. :suicide:

dancavallaro
Sep 10, 2006
My title sucks
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3178624

Key points to take away from the above thread:

* Java is the same as Javascript
* C and C++ are essentially the same and should be referred to as C/C++
* Python's dynamic typing makes it "too simple to be useful down the road"
* Regular expressions are one of the biggest hurdles for beginning programmers

dancavallaro fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Aug 1, 2009

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

dancavallaro posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3178624

Key points to take away from the above thread:

* Java is the same as Javascript
* C and C++ are essentially the same and should be referred to as C/C++
* Python's dynamic typing makes it "too simple to be useful down the road"

God I love Ask/Tell threads about programming. They are the nectar of the gods.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

dancavallaro posted:

REs are hard for a complete beginner. How many times have you read a thread asking how to parse html tags with a regular expression?

dancavallaro
Sep 10, 2006
My title sucks

MEAT TREAT posted:

REs are hard for a complete beginner. How many times have you read a thread asking how to parse html tags with a regular expression?

Not disagreeing that regexps are difficult for a beginner, but when someone is asking about how to get started with programming why the gently caress should regular expressions be within a ten-foot-pole of the vicinity of the conversation?

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

From the Ask/Tell thread:
code:
Template<class T> void printspecial (T &foo) {
  const char *foostring = foo; // Automatically invokes foo.operator const char* or whatever C++ calls it
  // do whatever with foostringstring
}
:gonk:

Filburt Shellbach
Nov 6, 2007

Apni tackat say tujay aaj mitta juu gaa!

dancavallaro posted:

when someone is asking about how to get started with programming why the gently caress should regular expressions be within a ten-foot-pole of the vicinity of the conversation?

Why? Regular expressions are useful outside of the context of programming. Good text editors provide regex support. Learning regex can ease you into the exactness of programming while still providing very practical benefits.

The Noble Nobbler
Jul 14, 2003
Regular expression can be amazing things, but more likely than not, you'll forget the syntax after you've moved on, so maintaining them is a real pain in the rear end.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The Noble Nobbler posted:

Regular expression can be amazing things, but more likely than not, you'll forget the syntax after you've moved on, so maintaining them is a real pain in the rear end.

"Moved on"? Regular expressions are an integral part of modern business programming.

TSDK
Nov 24, 2003

I got a wooden uploading this one
Programmers should be allowed near regular expressions if and only if they know the difference between a regular language and a context free language, and are able to sketch out a rough proof of the pumping lemma for regular languages.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
No that's dumb

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
so dumb the stupidity is infecting me:mad:

Blotto Skorzany fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Aug 1, 2009

TSDK
Nov 24, 2003

Sounds like someone didn't like their discrete maths module much.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
Discrete math is fine, your dumb ideas about regexes are not

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

quote:

I've been lucky to be ahead of the curve since I got into this whole social media thing early. Yay me!
I already hate this thread. There's no way it can go downhi--oh jesus :suicide:

quadreb posted:

"Moved on"? Regular expressions are an integral part of modern business programming.
s/business//

Also, regular expressions in Java are so terribly loving broken, I don't know if there's any correlation between them and "business programming".

edit: Also also, regexes aren't hard to understand, and if you think they are then you are dumb

BigRedDot
Mar 6, 2008

Dijkstracula posted:

s/business//
I work on sonar systems for submarines, I can say confidently that regular expressions are not at all an integral part of the programming we do.

TSDK
Nov 24, 2003

Otto Skorzeny posted:

Discrete math is fine, your dumb ideas about regexes are not
I also happen to think that programmers should know and understand boolean logic, two's complement arithmetic, have a decent notion of algorithmic complexity and be able to pick out an NP complete problem in a line-up. Likewise any programmers touching multi-threaded code should have a passing familiarity with the dining philosophers problem and the producer-consumer problem.

But then I'm a bit old-school, so maybe being ignorant of the basics is fine and dandy these days.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

TSDK posted:

I also happen to think that programmers should know and understand boolean logic, two's complement arithmetic, have a decent notion of algorithmic complexity and be able to pick out an NP complete problem in a line-up. Likewise any programmers touching multi-threaded code should have a passing familiarity with the dining philosophers problem and the producer-consumer problem.

You're right on all these things, but you're deluded about regexes (Aho, Sethi and Ullman agree with me btw)

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

TSDK posted:

boolean logic,
two's complement arithmetic,
have a decent notion of algorithmic complexity and be able to pick out an NP complete problem in a line-up
Likewise any programmers touching multi-threaded code should have a passing familiarity with the dining philosophers problem and the producer-consumer problem.

Yes to all of these, with an "meh" on two's complement arithmetic for most. These are all things you will need to know for implementation.

quote:

Programmers should be allowed near regular expressions if and only if they know the difference between a regular language and a context free language, and are able to sketch out a rough proof of the pumping lemma for regular languages.

Uh...

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

BigRedDot posted:

I work on sonar systems for submarines, I can say confidently that regular expressions are not at all an integral part of the programming we do.
The military as a business? :911: :v:

edit: But seriously, folks. It might not be used in every single program that you write, but people can't deny that its only use is to tabulate reports or whatever. String matching is important and common. :)

edit 2: TSDK, would you also say that people should only be allowed near a context-free language if they can distinguish it from a context-sensitive language, and prove it using the equivilent context-free pumping lemma?

Dijkstracula fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Aug 1, 2009

Lonely Wolf
Jan 20, 2003

Will hawk false idols for heaps and heaps of dough.

TSDK posted:

I would be happy with just the first part. :argh:

Flobbster
Feb 17, 2005

"Cadet Kirk, after the way you cheated on the Kobayashi Maru test I oughta punch you in tha face!"
Can we quit calling regular expressions "regular"? Because most of the implementations in common use now are not.

TSDK
Nov 24, 2003

Otto Skorzeny posted:

You're right on all these things, but you're deluded about regexes (Aho, Sethi and Ullman agree with me btw)
Okay, so the regex was a bit of a light troll on my part (especially the pumping lemma proof), but DFAs aren't exactly difficult. I would expect any decent programmer to be able to grasp the fundamentals without too much trouble.

I would seriously expect anyone who considers him or herself an expert on the topic of regexes to know the difference though.

(And I don't care who agrees or disagrees with me ;))

EDIT:

Dijkstracula posted:

edit 2: TSDK, would you also say that people should only be allowed near a context-free language if they can distinguish it from a context-sensitive language, and prove it using the equivilent context-free pumping lemma?
Yes, but only for Java, Ruby and MUMPS.

TSDK fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Aug 1, 2009

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

TSDK posted:

Okay, so the regex was a bit of a light troll on my part (especially the pumping lemma proof), but DFAs aren't exactly difficult. I would expect any decent programmer to be able to grasp the fundamentals without too much trouble.
The thing is, though, that I agree with you that people ought to know about language theory since a) it's important, and b) it's interesting, but for 99% of working programmers (maybe this is what people mean by "business programmers"), understanding the rough idea ("This returns true/false if the input matches against this expression") and the syntax is enough.

Also, as Flobbster said, regular expressions in practice aren't DFAs anyway. Perl's maximal matching via backtracking behaves more like an NFA, and the moment you start dealing with ERA stuff like backreferences, you've thrown yourself out of the regular world altogether. Given that, does it really make sense for every person to read the first fifty pages of Sipser or Aho/Hopcroft anyway?

TSDK
Nov 24, 2003

Dijkstracula posted:

Given that, does it really make sense for every person to read the first fifty pages of Sipser or Aho/Hopcroft anyway?
If they didn't fancy it, I suppose they could always go with John Martin's Introduction to Languages and the Theory of Computation instead.

But of course, I'm being less than serious by now :q:

dancavallaro
Sep 10, 2006
My title sucks
I really hope the thread in A/T doesn't die, it's been really entertaining so far.

Oh and super informative too.

:suicide:

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
Jesus, you guys with your requirements for programmers should spend a couple weeks working for an internal IT department. I'm fricking thrilled if one of my devs knows what a pointer is.

Stuff like language theory is probably important for an architect, but if a dev is told they are going to be using a regular expression, it's nowhere near a necessity. Twos complement as it relates to business programming today is pretty much the least leaky abstraction ever - it's interesting as a sign of intellectual curiosity if someone knows it, but not knowing it would have exactly zero effect on the quality of code they output.

enki42 fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Aug 1, 2009

Seth Turtle
May 6, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

enki42 posted:

Jesus, you guys with your requirements for programmers should spend a couple weeks working for an internal IT department. I'm fricking thrilled if one of my devs knows what a pointer is.

Stuff like language theory is probably important for an architect, but if a dev is told they are going to be using a regular expression, it's nowhere near a necessity. Twos complement as it relates to business programming today is pretty much the least leaky abstraction ever - it's interesting as a sign of intellectual curiosity if someone knows it, but not knowing it would have exactly zero effect on the quality of code they output.

My coworkers are responsible for developing Flash-based tutorial software for use in the military. It's generally accepted at the company that a Flash script file of 2000 lines is preferable to writing class files, because class files mean "more work".

Our company is well-liked and has lots of business.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

enki42 posted:

I gotta agree 100% on this - if something is important you should be able to learn it, and should have the curiosity to read up on it, but first on the list is usually an in depth knowledge of the problem area that they are dealing with (for me, usually financial or power) and theory a distant second. Or third, from being able to explain what the hell they are doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

enki42 posted:

Stuff like language theory is probably important for an architect, but if a dev is told they are going to be using a regular expression, it's nowhere near a necessity.
I agree, but I would temper this statement a bit to say that it's important that the person have some sense of what a regular expression can "do" (that is, to have an understanding of the limits of the tool that they use). I'm not saying that they need to know how to knock off proofs using the Pumping Lemma by heart at all, but someone should have an intuition that tells them that you can't determine whether a string is a palendrome using a regular expression.

(I say this only because I know a guy who spent hours trying to write a regex to match something along the lines of "anbn", which is pretty much the canonical non-regular language.)