Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Ryokurin posted:

only 10 activations.

per CD-Key, or per account?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
So all this Aero Peek talk has gotten me curious as to what gadgets you guys use (and where do ya get em)? I can't really seem to find gadgets anywhere and the ones that come with 7 are kind of lame.

revolther
May 27, 2008
When you add gadgets to your desktop, there's a little "Get More Gadgets Online", it links you to a page where you can download more gadgets.

Here's a searchable link

Lenins Potato
May 8, 2008

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

per CD-Key, or per account?

People in the tech-net thread said you get 10 activations per key, but after 10 you get a prompt to call into MS for the automated system to clear you.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Lenins Potato posted:

People in the tech-net thread said you get 10 activations per key, but after 10 you get a prompt to call into MS for the automated system to clear you.

OK, I can't imagine ever needing to activate 10 times on the same machine anyway. Thanks!

CheeToS
Dec 25, 2003
Dangerously Cheesy
Holy crap :psyduck:
http://community.winsupersite.com/blogs/paul/archive/2009/08/01/microsoft-kills-windows-7-e-editions.aspx

Microsoft is getting rid of the E versions altogether now. The people in Europe who pre-ordered the retail E versions will be getting full retail versions at upgrade prices.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Anyone else unable to install Live Messenger in Win 7? :(

the snipping tool is neat :cool:

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

CheeToS posted:

http://community.winsupersite.com/blogs/paul/archive/2009/08/01/microsoft-kills-windows-7-e-editions.aspx

Microsoft is getting rid of the E versions altogether now. The people in Europe who pre-ordered the retail E versions will be getting full retail versions at upgrade prices.
Happy times. £45 for a full licence of Home Premium? Check.

LoopyJuice
Jul 5, 2007

CheeToS posted:

Good to know, i've got a copy of home and a copy of pro pre-ordered, £150 for both!

I wasn't all that upset about getting an E edition anyway, they announced the ballot screen meaning it wouldn't be a problem at all.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

kode54 posted:

It may be possible with some install file manipulation, although probably against the EULA. Oh, and you'll need to buy an Ultimate Upgrade key, because you can't in-place upgrade Ultimate to anything less.

I thought there was a thing like just last week that said you could go from RC to Official?

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

The Wonder Weapon posted:

I thought there was a thing like just last week that said you could go from RC to Official?

You still can't in place upgrade Ultimate (which is the RC) to Pro or Home or anything other than Ultimate. So unless you're shelling out for Ultimate, you can't in place upgrade.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Bwahahaha, so I just got a full version of Pro for 90 quid. gently caress yeah!

Thanks for the peek stuff, I can see how Peek would be useful, Aero Peek less so unless I bother with gadgets. Next question.

I used to use the X-Mouse functionality that TweakUI for XP added, and this has turned up in Win 7, only now it's in the accessibility stuff, rather than in a powertoy, however all I can do is turn it on and off, and enable or disable autoraise.

How do I get rid of the annoying 2 second delay between hovering the mouse and having the window become active?

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

kapinga posted:

You still can't in place upgrade Ultimate (which is the RC) to Pro or Home or anything other than Ultimate. So unless you're shelling out for Ultimate, you can't in place upgrade.

Thats...loving lovely. Can anyone else c/d?

that one guy
Jun 3, 2005
Just to confirm - I can upgrade from any version of XP to 64bit 7 Pro, correct? I know it requires a clean install etc., but as far as being authorized to do the upgrade, I can do XP -> 7 Pro

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

that one guy posted:

Just to confirm - I can upgrade from any version of XP to 64bit 7 Pro, correct? I know it requires a clean install etc., but as far as being authorized to do the upgrade, I can do XP -> 7 Pro

My understanding is that yes, Windows XP qualifies you to use an upgrade edition of Win7.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Is it possible to upgrade to Windows 7 from a Win XP VLK key?

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
I looked up windows photo booth equivilents but I had no luck except with in-browswer poo poo and people smugly telling others with my same question to take the picture and put it into photoshop. All I want is to easilly take pictures, and occasionally put a filter on it. I don't want to use photoshop, and I want it to be offline.

In XP there is an easy way to view your webcam and have it take a picture. Is there an easy way to do the same in win7 or am I just missing something?

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Is it possible to upgrade to Windows 7 from a Win XP VLK key?

As long as you have XP and installed and activated, you should be good.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Well it looks like the setting that controls the Peek delay is HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop\ActiveWndTrkTimeout. This is also the setting that controls the delay before refocussing the mouse if you turn on X Mouse.

I also found out that you can turn on the X Mouse focus following without getting autoraise by editing UserPreferencesMask in the same part of the registry and adding +01h to the first digit, by default this will mean changing 9E to 9F.

You'll need to log out and back in again for these changes to take effect.

Note, do not set ActiveWndTrkTimeout to 0 if you are enabling X Mouse as you wont be able to access hidden systray icons as the mouse has to pass over the desktop which will focus on the desktop and close the pop up window. Set it to 50, which is quick enough that you wont notice the difference, but slow enough to keep access to the pop up window.

Lum fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Aug 2, 2009

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Thats...loving lovely. Can anyone else c/d?

What's to confirm? Vista is the same way. Anytime upgrade is for moving up the version chain. Ultimate is the top of the chain.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Lum posted:

I used to use the X-Mouse functionality that TweakUI for XP added, and this has turned up in Win 7, only now it's in the accessibility stuff, rather than in a powertoy, however all I can do is turn it on and off, and enable or disable autoraise.

How do I get rid of the annoying 2 second delay between hovering the mouse and having the window become active?

http://factormystic.net/blog/xmouse-toggle

suction
Jul 17, 2009
what firewall for w7 do you guys recommend? i used comodo firewall but it hasn't been updated for 7 yet. windows default firewall sucks btw

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

suction posted:

what firewall for w7 do you guys recommend? i used comodo firewall but it hasn't been updated for 7 yet.

The Windows one plus a decent router

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

suction posted:

what firewall for w7 do you guys recommend? i used comodo firewall but it hasn't been updated for 7 yet. windows default firewall sucks btw

Windows firewall.

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

suction posted:

Windows firewall. There's nothing wrong with it, you're just being a baby.

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

suction posted:

The only thing Windows firewall doesn't do is firewalling outbound connections, which never seemed like a particularly useful feature. If you need outbound connections to be blocked, you already have malicious software on your machine - your AV should be able to catch stuff like that. If its for random software you don't want phoning home, use your HOSTS file.

If you are really really determined to use an outbound firewall, I believe the latest version of Comodo IS can be installed on 7, just put it in Vista compatibility mode. My overly security paranoid roommate does this, and of course fights a million different popups every time he installs a new program :v:.

suction
Jul 17, 2009
Call me paranoid but I rather have some pop-ups than a malware that my AV fails to detect trying to phone home. =) Thanks will try Vista compatibility mode.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

PirateBob posted:

Anyone else unable to install Live Messenger in Win 7? :(

the snipping tool is neat :cool:

Figured it out. It's a problem with the Windows Firewall blocking the setup-downloader app. Downloading the full Live package and installing that works.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy
I'm running the x64 7100 build right now and it's been giving me some weird performance issues that I never had in XP. Basically, most games that run at <80 fps play like they're running about 15 frames behind my mouse and keyboard, so if I open up a menu in game and drag it around the screen it trails the mouse by about half a second. I'm running an nvidia 8800 GT with an E8400 cpu, so there's really no reason for games like Civ IV to be giving me this problem.

Fiddling around with settings on my video card didn't give me any results, so I'm going to try upgrading to a newer build since that seems to be the most common solution to odd problems like this. I know I'll need to do a clean format when my upgrade edition of 7 home arrives in October, but for now is there any reason I shouldn't just upgrade to the RTM insteal of 72xx?

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

I'm running the x64 7100 build right now and it's been giving me some weird performance issues that I never had in XP. Basically, most games that run at <80 fps play like they're running about 15 frames behind my mouse and keyboard, so if I open up a menu in game and drag it around the screen it trails the mouse by about half a second. I'm running an nvidia 8800 GT with an E8400 cpu, so there's really no reason for games like Civ IV to be giving me this problem.

Fiddling around with settings on my video card didn't give me any results, so I'm going to try upgrading to a newer build since that seems to be the most common solution to odd problems like this. I know I'll need to do a clean format when my upgrade edition of 7 home arrives in October, but for now is there any reason I shouldn't just upgrade to the RTM insteal of 72xx?

I didn't have any performance issues with 7100. I just upgraded to the RTM, but be careful to edit the ISO so that you can install whatever version of 7 that you purchased. I didn't do that, and I'm going to have to reformat again in October.

Don't bother upgrading to 7200, just do the RTM.

DarthDommo
Feb 5, 2003

Anyone know how to get rid of this awful looking Windows 95 dashed-line selection box from desktop icons? It suddenly started doing this and I don't know why...

edit: Logoff/Login fixed it. Still wonder what made that crap reappear from nowhere though.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DarthDommo fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Aug 1, 2009

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

kapinga posted:

The only thing Windows firewall doesn't do is firewalling outbound connections
There have been outbound firewall rules since Vista. :confused:

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
Is there any way of changing the behavior of icons in Explorer, so that they are only 'targetted' by clicking on the actual icon image or name, rather than any whitespace in the big rear end square tile surrounding it even when not in Tiled view?

If I wanted icons click-foolproofed while I'm drunk and/or legally blind I'd put them into a different display mode than Medium Icons.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

BOOM! DOCTA WATSON posted:

I've started having a problem wherein my laptop's keyboard randomly stops working until I reboot. I thought it was just the keyboard itself failing because everything else on this piece of poo poo is disintegrating now that it's two weeks out of warranty, but I tried opening the onscreen keyboard and it just hangs at a blank window indefinitely, leading me to believe that the keyboard driver might be loving up. I've been running Windows 7 since January and am only just now having this problem, but the only new thing I've installed recently is Virtual Clone Drive and I don't see how that would gently caress with the keyboard drivers. Has anyone else run into this?

It turns out that pressing Caps Lock causes the keyboard driver to completely quit working. What the hell is the deal here?

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

DarthDommo posted:

Anyone know how to get rid of this awful looking Windows 95 dashed-line selection box from desktop icons? It suddenly started doing this and I don't know why...

edit: Logoff/Login fixed it. Still wonder what made that crap reappear from nowhere though.

I think it's one of the settings in System Properties - Performance Options.

Can someone tell me how to delete hiberfil.sys? I've already set hibernation to 'never' and I don't see any option in Disk Cleanup to remove it.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

PirateBob posted:

I think it's one of the settings in System Properties - Performance Options.

Can someone tell me how to delete hiberfil.sys? I've already set hibernation to 'never' and I don't see any option in Disk Cleanup to remove it.

"powercfg -h off" from an elevated command prompt

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

brc64 posted:

There have been outbound firewall rules since Vista. :confused:

Whoops, didn't know that. How would you set it to block programs unless otherwise authorized like CIS does.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
This is most likely a dumb question, but I'm having a hard time figuring out the answer. I know MS said we can go from Win7 RC to the full version with the upgrade disc. The Win7 RC is the Ultimate edition. Can I upgrade to Win7 Pro from the RC?

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

c0burn posted:

"powercfg -h off" from an elevated command prompt

That worked. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

Joe Don Baker posted:

This is most likely a dumb question, but I'm having a hard time figuring out the answer. I know MS said we can go from Win7 RC to the full version with the upgrade disc. The Win7 RC is the Ultimate edition. Can I upgrade to Win7 Pro from the RC?

From earlier this page:

kapinga posted: