Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leviathan
Oct 8, 2001

I hear the jury's
still out.. on science.
Fun Shoe

SaviourX posted:

And to the goon that just can't get started on The Wire, you better have some good reasons as to why.

I don't think it's that much of a mystery, especially if the person isn't used to slow-moving, character-based, in-depth television. It took me about 6 months to make it through the first 6 episodes, and only about another month to make it through all 5 seasons once I realized how good it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Choculitis
Sep 13, 2007

I love you, Shepard. I always have. I want to understand what this is between us... and make it real.
Finished season 2 of Veronica Mars, and have decided not to continue into season 3. Loved the ending of s2, still want to marry Logan, and that finale was just incredible. Overall I thought season 2 was weaker than season 1, but that ending was fantastic.

I've also finally started on The West Wing after all of my friends harassed me to watch it for ages. I'm shocked at how incredible it is right from the start. Love all the characters, love their relationships, love everything about it. I kind of feel like an idiot sometimes though - I occasionally have to watch scenes twice because I get confused because they talk SO FAST and there are SO MANY names and things involved, and the friend I'm watching it with has seen the show a jillion times. It just all moves along so quick, I have issues keeping track! We just finished s1 ep13, can't wait to watch more!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's a fast paced show, but that's Sorkin's signature style and you get used to it quickly. Also if you want a quick laugh check out this article from the front page.

http://www.somethingawful.com/d/news/how-write-for.php

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Just started season 3 of HIMYM. Season 1 was good and got better toward the end. Season 2 brought it from being a good show to a great show. They added a LOT more running jokes (sandwiches instead of weed is currently my favorite), and the callbacks to previous episodes and plots are excellent (slap bet in particular). My little gripes about it are pretty much gone too, I don't mind Ted or the laugh track anymore.

I also keep spotting stuff hidden in the background, like how Barney's revenge play was called "Suck It Lily" on the playbill but was never mentioned in the show, and how in Marshal's future scene where he opens the death letter there's a headline in the background that says "Lawyer finds Nessie".

\/\/\/That post is a lot funnier if you read it as a response to this one at first, like I just did. :v:

Bonk fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Jul 29, 2009

dog with eyebrows
Feb 19, 2005

I can see what you mean, Bonk--a lot of the relationship/family stuff is kinda dry--my brother and I just finished 13 and had a total meltdown with the implication that our own government is responsible. From the very beginning that was my prediction but I figured, nawww, way too obvious. Well, we'll see--hopefully there's more to it than that. It's weird the way there'll be three episodes in a row sometimes when we neither see nor hear a thing from some of the major characters like Stanley and his sister or Heather. oh god i want to read that spoiler so bad oh god

Count Choculitis, I'm not finishing Veronica Mars either. Everyone I know says it got really awful after the second season. :[ I want to remember her...as she was when I fell in love with her...

Leviathan posted:

Goddammit why do all his shows get canceled? BTW, watch Wonderfalls.

oh my god I completely forgot about this show. It's fantastic and absolutely hilarious. There are only a dozen or so episodes, too. Pushing Daisies even makes an allusion to it, so you know it's awesome. :c00l:

dog with eyebrows fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jul 29, 2009

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
The third season of Veronica Mars is still totally worth watching if you liked the first two. It's not quite as awesome, but it's still pretty good.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

jeffersonlives posted:

The third season of Veronica Mars is still totally worth watching if you liked the first two. It's not quite as awesome, but it's still pretty good.

It totally abandons almost everything that made the first two season so great. It's poo poo. But like I've said before, I don't blame the show since it was mostly due to pressure from the new network to make it more accessible.

Jarl
Nov 8, 2007

So what if I'm not for the ever offended?

Click here for the full 640x480 image.

Just finished the first season of drawn together. My friends should have told me of this one earlier. Especially the first to episodes made me laugh out loud ("for realz not for flav flav") and tear my eyes up from laughter.
Favorite character is Ling Ling (a hell-bent Pikachu parody) who lives in his own world. Also he is a mighty warrior, which he proves whenever the opportunity presents itself.

Best animated comedy since the fourth season of Futurama ended. Although don't be fooled this one is not like Family Guy, South Park, Futurama, and thank god that they actually do try new things.

Jarl fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jul 30, 2009

jazz babies
Mar 7, 2007

Criminal Minds. Finished all 4 seasons.

Oh Dr. Reid... :swoon:

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Jarl posted:

Click here for the full 640x480 image.

Just finished the first season of drawn together. My friends should have told me of this one earlier. Especially the first to episodes made me laugh out loud ("for realz not for flav flav") and tear my eyes up from laughter.
Favorite character is Ling Ling (a hell-bent Pikachu parody) who lives in his own world. Also he is a mighty warrior, which he proves whenever the opportunity presents itself.

Best animated comedy since the fourth season of Futurama ended. Although don't be fooled this one is not like Family Guy, South Park, Futurama, and thank god that they actually do try new things.
I had to check your post history to make sure you weren't trolling. I haven't observed Drawn Together to be a show looked on too favourably around here, it's rare someone likes it or heaps praise like that upon it.

I'm glad you like it, but eh, it's not for me. I could use a bunch of adjectives (sophomoric, puerile, base, etc.) but honestly it just doesn't appeal to me at all. It's trying too hard. Who knows, maybe I just don't "get it." For example/comparison, I love Strangers with Candy. Brilliant, sardonic, dark show. But I could easily imagine someone watching a couple episodes and coming away feeling as I do towards Drawn Together.

pwn fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jul 30, 2009

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008
I'm burning through 4400! It's the best powered crime procedural ever. We're about to hit the end of season 2.

Leviathan
Oct 8, 2001

I hear the jury's
still out.. on science.
Fun Shoe

Bonk posted:

I also keep spotting stuff hidden in the background, like how Barney's revenge play was called "Suck It Lily" on the playbill but was never mentioned in the show, and how in Marshal's future scene where he opens the death letter there's a headline in the background that says "Lawyer finds Nessie".

That reminds me, this site is still up:

http://www.tedmosbyisajerk.com

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Bonk posted:

Just started season 3 of HIMYM. Season 1 was good and got better toward the end. Season 2 brought it from being a good show to a great show. They added a LOT more running jokes (sandwiches instead of weed is currently my favorite), and the callbacks to previous episodes and plots are excellent (slap bet in particular). My little gripes about it are pretty much gone too, I don't mind Ted or the laugh track anymore.

One of my favorite cutaways in the whole show so far is when it cuts to Marshall giggling with a 2 foot sub sandwich in his hands. I think that was in the second season?

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
Robin Sparkles is the best recurring gag ever, a close second is the related ultra-Canadian Robin.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

The Duke posted:

One of my favorite cutaways in the whole show so far is when it cuts to Marshall giggling with a 2 foot sub sandwich in his hands. I think that was in the second season?

There might be another one that far back, but I know there's a way more recent one because I'm already up to season 4 and I just saw it. It's in the fight episode when Marshall and Ted are watching a kung-fu movie in college.

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
Just finished Avatar: The Last Airbender. I thought it was fantastic. Such a rich world, and it tackled some very mature concepts for a children's show. Carnivale is next for me. I'm sure I'll like it too.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Apr 10, 2007

You have no fucking idea how hungry I am

Meow Cadet posted:

Just finished Avatar: The Last Airbender. I thought it was fantastic. Such a rich world, and it tackled some very mature concepts for a children's show. Carnivale is next for me. I'm sure I'll like it too.

I literally just finished Avatar as well. Now I want to throw myself off a cliff after having enjoyed such a fun show over a month and now there's no more :(

I've also been watching Steven Moffat's Press Gang, a 'children's' show from the early 90's that was made up entirely of Very Special Episodes that actually did it really well. Very mature themes (child abuse, suicide, PTSD) for children's programming, I think this stuff was shown at 4 in the afternoon.

Leviathan
Oct 8, 2001

I hear the jury's
still out.. on science.
Fun Shoe

Bonk posted:

There might be another one that far back, but I know there's a way more recent one because I'm already up to season 4 and I just saw it. It's in the fight episode when Marshall and Ted are watching a kung-fu movie in college.

The kung fu sandwich was great, especially since there was no reference to what the sandwich actually was.

It really is the little touches:

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I picked up John Adams on a whim the other week and decided it was time to start watching. I finished the first two episodes a little bit ago, it looks amazing on blu ray and I wouldn't be adding anything new to the conversation in my praise of everyone involved. Can't wait to get back to it.

Don Music
Jun 20, 2008
Entourage. I started at season 1, and I am now halfway through season 5....and I started on monday...:smith:

It's a great show though. One of the only shows that hasn't diminished in quality over the seasons *cough* Prison Break *cough*

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Started on "Weeds" on Thursday evening and just finished the first disc of season 3.

The show somehow flew below my radar because from the synopsis I read a while back and clips I occasionally caught I expected it to be some sort of stoner comedy, which never did anything for me (not judging, just saying). Boy, was I wrong about that. Highly enjoyable, funny with a hint of drama and with a great cast of characters. Some turns and twists are a tad deus ex machina at times, but I've seen worse.

I just realized that Sanjay is Jonathan from 30 Rock (Jack Donaghy's assistant).
I have no idea how I missed that, it's so obvious but it did not click.

And Mary-Louise Parker must have some sort of Dorian Gray picture down in her basement, it is unbelievable how stunning she looks at 45.

Edit: And while the opening titles kind of got on my nerves in season 1, I liked the take in the second season, using different styles and interpretations of the song. Can't get it out of my head right now... "Little boxes, on the hillside..."... it's haunting me.

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Aug 1, 2009

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I picked up John Adams on a whim the other week and decided it was time to start watching. I finished the first two episodes a little bit ago, it looks amazing on blu ray and I wouldn't be adding anything new to the conversation in my praise of everyone involved. Can't wait to get back to it.

The first half is so awesome, then in the later ones...blargh

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Aug 1, 2009

Vivek
Jun 27, 2007

I watched the first two seasons of Dexter. I thought the first season was brilliant, but I was kind of disappointed by the second season. I'm not sure if I should continue watching or not. Does season 3 get better or worse?

After that, I watched the first two seasons of Weeds. That was such a crazy cliffhanger at the end, I'm going crazy trying to get a hold of season 3.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vivek posted:

I watched the first two seasons of Dexter. I thought the first season was brilliant, but I was kind of disappointed by the second season. I'm not sure if I should continue watching or not. Does season 3 get better or worse?

As bad as season 2 is, 3 gets so much worse. Incredibly dumbed down and conventional. My recommendation would be to give up while you still can.

Aluminum Record
Feb 2, 2008

When you rip off the breakaway pants, thrust your pelvis toward the bachelorette.

doctor thodt posted:

As bad as season 2 is, 3 gets so much worse. Incredibly dumbed down and conventional. My recommendation would be to give up while you still can.

To each his own I guess, I heavily enjoyed all 3.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Aluminum Record posted:

To each his own I guess

Pretty much this, because I can't imagine anyone not liking season 2, especially the latter half. The hunt for The Bay Harbor Butcher is easily the most compelling story arc the shows ever had. The pacing and the way it was constantly "edge or your seat" tense was incredible. For anyone who's season movies like No Way Out with Kevin Costner and Out of Time with Denzel Washington you'll know what I'm talking about. The way the character is constantly just barely managing to squeeze through and remain afloat for a little longer was great. It brings that level of intensity to the show and it's just awesome.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I just finished the first three seasons of The Shield after starting under two weeks ago. I really enjoy it though it occasionally gets a bit repetitive when you're watching it all at once.

After all the bullshit they've pulled, the most reprehensible thing the strike team has done was how they treated Tavon to cover for Shane and his bitch girlfriend. Awful.

On the other hand I was getting annoyed how Lem was always trying to talk about doing the right thing and then always letting it slide and going along with the team. Then he finally loving did something about it. Loved that scene.

Now I gotta find season 4.

Leviathan
Oct 8, 2001

I hear the jury's
still out.. on science.
Fun Shoe

doctor thodt posted:

3 was still better than most of the television that's available today even if it doesn't touch the first season in terms of quality.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Leviathan posted:

3 was still better than most of the television that's available today even if it doesn't touch the first season in terms of quality.

I'd put it on par with most of the television that's available today, which is to say terribly boring and formulaic.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.
I found Season 1 of Dexter to be mediocre at best, but I loving loved Season 2. So intense, and well-done. If they could get some real actors in place of Doakes and the sister, they would have a fantastic show.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Binged through Leverage and finally managed to pull through Dexter season 3 which didn't manage to improve its pace and made the bottom of the best-of season list.

Leverage is fantastic. All episodes are great, and the production value is splendid. As is the crew.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Aug 2, 2009

ACauseToLead
Apr 7, 2009
Just finished all of Queer as Folk U.K. on hulu, and now I wanna start the U.S. version. Also I'm at the end on season 5 of The West Wing, but took a break to shake off my disappointment.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Apr 10, 2007

ACauseToLead posted:

Just finished all of Queer as Folk U.K. on hulu, and now I wanna start the U.S. version. Also I'm at the end on season 5 of The West Wing, but took a break to shake off my disappointment.

How was Queer as Folk? I'm a fan of Russell T Davies' other work that I've seen, Casanova and Second Coming, and I"m told Bob and Rose and Century Falls are also great. And as much as we all like to bitch, I think he's done a great job with Doctor Who.

Also, is this the first time you've seen the West Wing? Because totally hang in there, it gets better.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I recently finished Carnivāle. It's a shame this show couldn't get a full run. It had some of the most incredible production design I've ever seen in a TV series, and the show's mythology was really interesting. Nick Stahl's acting was off-and-on for me, but Clancy Brown and Toby Huss made the show something I couldn't pull away from. And the intro sequence!

I'm a few episodes in to Deadwood and I'm really enjoying it so far. Timothy Olyphant's acting seems a little wooden, but I expected that going in. Ian McShane is the show's biggest asset, of course. I'm dreading having the same sad feeling at the end of this series as I did for Carnivāle. Dammit, HBO, why can't you shell out the big bucks when it matters? :(

Another series I'm really enjoying is a collection of old episodes of Julia Child's The French Chef. She's really endearing - her heavy, enthusiastic breathlessness and her pitch-happy voice make the show a delight to watch. Most importantly, she's funny and she treats cooking like something anyone can do. I've learned a lot in just a few short episodes of the show.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Mu Zeta posted:

The first half is so awesome, then in the later ones...blargh

Do... do the English win? :ohdear:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Do... do the English win? :ohdear:

Giamatti is still great, it's just that John Adams turns old and grumpy

ACauseToLead
Apr 7, 2009

Mitthrawnuruodo posted:

How was Queer as Folk? I'm a fan of Russell T Davies' other work that I've seen, Casanova and Second Coming, and I"m told Bob and Rose and Century Falls are also great. And as much as we all like to bitch, I think he's done a great job with Doctor Who.

Also, is this the first time you've seen the West Wing? Because totally hang in there, it gets better.

Queer as Folk was really really good, but I don't think I can recommend it to anyone who isn't either gay or really into gay culture. It's dark and humorous and often silly, but there's quite a bit of graphic gay sex. On the up side, the U.K. series is only 6 episodes long (with the first four being and hour +, and the last two 45 mins) so if you're looking something to plow through real quick on an empty afternoon, it's something to check out. If you can make it through the first 20 minutes without being gayed out, watch the rest; you won't be disappointed.

And yeah, this is my first time going all the way through with The West Wing. 1-4 were great, but 5 was just such a let down I kinda wanted to forget about it before I moved on to 6 and 7, which I hear are better, albeit different.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Apr 10, 2007

ACauseToLead posted:

Queer as Folk was really really good, but I don't think I can recommend it to anyone who isn't either gay or really into gay culture. It's dark and humorous and often silly, but there's quite a bit of graphic gay sex. On the up side, the U.K. series is only 6 episodes long (with the first four being and hour +, and the last two 45 mins) so if you're looking something to plow through real quick on an empty afternoon, it's something to check out. If you can make it through the first 20 minutes without being gayed out, watch the rest; you won't be disappointed.

I don't think I need to worry about being "gayed out." I'm not gay myself, and I wouldn't say I'm "in to gay culture", but I don't think gay subject matter makes me think less of a show or film by virtue of its being there, and I don't think it will be extremely inaccessible - I mean, lots of people liked this show, didn't they? Besides, one of my favourite shows is Six Feet Under, and I can't say I'm "gayed out" by that. I think I'll be fine, is what I'm saying.

And cool, thanks for the recommendation. If you haven't seen The Second Coming or Casanova, I recommend you take a look. Russell Davies is a good writer.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Mitthrawnuruodo posted:

Russell Davies is a good writer.

Granted I've seen nothing of his but Doctor Who, but sentences like this just do not make sense to me. He has consistently been the worst writer on that show, almost without exception through four seasons. How that could come from a "good writer" is beyond me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mitthrawnuruodo
Apr 10, 2007

EX-GAIJIN AT LAST posted:

Granted I've seen nothing of his but Doctor Who, but sentences like this just do not make sense to me. He has consistently been the worst writer on that show, almost without exception through four seasons. How that could come from a "good writer" is beyond me.

I believe he writes bad science-fiction - he loves Doctor Who and wants to make it like he saw it as a kid but he's too committed to other things in his writing and it all ends up very hamstrung. He wants to write grown-up things but he thinks he's writing a kids' show and so has to have all the marvellous things. Also, Davies just doesn't know a thing about satisfying plot conclusions, and sci-fi is a very plot-based medium. Moffat is much, much better for this, even if his pedigree is sitcom rather than sci-fi.

However, I encourage you to at least check out The Second Coming for Christopher Eccleston being incredible, and it is genuinely good, except for one really terrible shot which I can only blame on the actress and director. Casanova is really stylish and heaps of fun, and the way it all turns out is really beautiful, if a little contrived. The last shot's a tearjerker. I'm told Century Falls is his best work, and a lot of people like Queer as Folk too.