Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

kapinga posted:

From earlier this page:

That specifies inplace upgrades. Can I do a clean install?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suction
Jul 17, 2009

kapinga posted:

Whoops, didn't know that. How would you set it to block programs unless otherwise authorized like CIS does.

i did some research and found this:
http://www.lockergnome.com/blade/2009/03/09/vista-firewall-allows-inbound-outbound-blocking/

technically it does block outbound connections, but still it does not notify you when some applications try to do an outbound connection (unless i'm missing an option somewhere). so in essence, you can just block everything that isn't on your white list. still it would be useful if there's an option that let you know when it blocks something.

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

Joe Don Baker posted:

That specifies inplace upgrades. Can I do a clean install?

I've seen one blog post that claimed that it would be an option, no other sources have been particularly clear on the subject. Be prepared to have to reinstall Vista or XP if you are buying an upgrade copy, and you might be pleasantly surprised.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
I have a couple of questions with the 64bit version of Win7

1) WMP(32 bit) comes pinned as default to the task bar. When I pin the 64 bit version it doesn't have the "Tasks" category in the right click menu option. How can I get this back?

2) When launching a movie or other media the default program is WMP(32 bit). When I try and change the default application via the "Open With..." menu and select WMP(64 bit) it doesn't work. How can I fix this?

3) I'm not sure how many other programs have both 32 and 64 bit versions. But I find it rather stupid that when you have the 64 bit version of the OS installed it insists on using the 32 bit applications. Is there a list some where that I can just go through and make sure the default application is the 64 bit version?

Update:
I found this site:
http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/01/19/switch-change-or-set-64-bit-windows-media-player-11-wmp11-in-windows-vista-x64-as-default/

Following the instructions it solves problems 1 and 2 but creates one of its own. When I double click a media file everything works fine. But if I click the taskbar button it creates a separate button in the task bar. Anyone know how to fix this?

I'm either missing something obvious or this new taskbar is kinda buggy...

xgalaxy fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Aug 2, 2009

astounding_zlatan
Apr 27, 2003
---

astounding_zlatan fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jul 23, 2020

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Lum posted:

Well it looks like the setting that controls the Peek delay is HKCU\Software\Control Panel\ActiveWndTrkTimeout. This is also the setting that controls the delay before refocussing the mouse if you turn on X Mouse.

I also found out that you can turn on the X Mouse focus following without getting autoraise by editing UserPreferencesMask in the same part of the registry and adding +01h to the first digit, by default this will mean changing 9E to 9F.

You'll need to log out and back in again for these changes to take effect.

Note, do not set ActiveWndTrkTimeout to 0 if you are enabling X Mouse as you wont be able to access hidden systray icons as the mouse has to pass over the desktop which will focus on the desktop and close the pop up window. Set it to 50, which is quick enough that you wont notice the difference, but slow enough to keep access to the pop up window.

Hrmery. Is the registry different in x86 vs x64? I found ActiveWndTrkTimeout in HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop\

revolther posted:

When you add gadgets to your desktop, there's a little "Get More Gadgets Online", it links you to a page where you can download more gadgets.

Here's a searchable link

Nothing happens when I click Install. :(

PirateBob fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Aug 2, 2009

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

PirateBob posted:

Hrmery. Is the registry different in x86 vs x64? I found ActiveWndTrkTimeout in HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop\

Nope, you are right. Regedit just didn't remember the location I had opened last, so when I opened it up again to write this post I wrote down the wrong location and didn't check. Original post edited to save confusion.

As for the 32bit Media Player thing. My understanding is that 64bit Media Player requires 64bit codecs which, for the most part, don't exist yet so I wouldn't bother using it, there's nothing to gain by doing so.

It's like 64bit Internet Explorer, yeah it'll be useful eventually but not while we're stuck with only 32bit Flash available.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
Not sure if this has been answered before, but;

I have 3 monitors. If something is maximised on one window and I drag the title bar (and hence drag the window) to another monitor and hit it against the top so that it maximises on that monitor, it will maximise on the original monitor. Ie, it will do nothing. It didn't do this on build 6801, but it's been an issue on both 7100 and the latest build.

I do use ultramon, but I'm not sure if that's what's causing this.

Any ideas?

Bleepblorp3587
Jun 1, 2003
Does the shitcanning of E mean that keys sold in Europe should be compatible with the existing RTM after all?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Why does this keep disabling my touchpad? it happened after I first installed, and after reinstalling the touchpad driver it still does it after boot-up occasionally.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

change my name posted:

Why does this keep disabling my touchpad? it happened after I first installed, and after reinstalling the touchpad driver it still does it after boot-up occasionally.

There's often a BIOS setting to disable your touchpad when a USB mouse is connected - any chance that is set?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Mierdaan posted:

There's often a BIOS setting to disable your touchpad when a USB mouse is connected - any chance that is set?

Nope, I usually start it up without the mouse attached and it still fails.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
Found my forst issue with windows 7 - Using winamp 5, attempting to burn a cd causes the burning dilog wondow to flicker like an epileptic with parkinsons, rendering it unusable.
Which is a bit of a scrote.

Flex Mentallo
Mar 14, 2001

BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! BEEP!
Is there any way for "pinned" icons to not take up the whole width of a vertical taskbar when the app is not running?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.
For the record, I've got 7600 running quite well on an old laptop with a pIII-1.33 Ghz and 512 MB RAM. Amazing.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Flex Mentallo posted:

Is there any way for "pinned" icons to not take up the whole width of a vertical taskbar when the app is not running?

You could try upgrading from Windows 98. That might help any number of issues.

Edit: Actually, try this out, it may appeal to you: http://www.randomnation.co.uk/subsites/7progman/

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat

xamphear posted:

Edit: Actually, try this out, it may appeal to you: http://www.randomnation.co.uk/subsites/7progman/

Haha, seriously why would you even use that style start menu? I don't understand why someone would want their OS to look like poo poo.

Avian Pneumonia
May 24, 2006

ASK ME ABOUT MY OPINIONS ON CANCEL CULTURE
i'm going to format the hard drive of a new laptop and install 7

what's the story on drivers? do i use vista drivers?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Avian Pneumonia posted:

Windows 7 will more than likely automatically install drivers for all of your hardware. For anything it can't find/for which the drivers it finds are inadequate, Vista drivers will most likely work.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

BOOM! DOCTA WATSON posted:

Windows 7 will more than likely automatically install drivers for all of your hardware. For anything it can't find/for which the drivers it finds are inadequate, Vista drivers will most likely work.

I'm finding it good like this, I was trying to get pics off my mom's camera today on her laptop (vista) and the camera wasn't picked up, just the memory card (pics were on the internal memory) and I brought it down here and plugged it in and way to go, picked up and installed right away.
and all my other gear/built in laptop stuff has worked thus far.
the only complaint really is my sound is garbage, I'm having trouble getting my music to sound right, though I dont remember loving around with it very much previously with vista.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Avian Pneumonia posted:

Vista drivers will work if W7 doesn't install the drivers automatically. I had some problems though with memory card reader drivers not wanting to install but I ran the setup program in compatibility mode for Vista and they work fine now.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

xamphear posted:

Ah, very good. Took me a second to realise that it's a spoof of http://www.sevenclassicstart.com/

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

:siren: Chrome App shortcuts will keep their own task icon in the newest dev channel :siren:

I've confirmed it myself. However, it does have its little issues - for instance, pinning it to the taskbar creates a generic Chrome.exe shortcut, and using an already pinned shortcut from the start menu or w/e will open a new taskbar button at the end. So pinning is still a little off, but at least everything gets its own slot on the taskbar.

whozatmac
Jul 17, 2006
my brother Greeky kicks ass

Network posted:

I only have 2gb of ram right now, is it worth is to buy an extra stick of 1gb ram so I can run Windows 7 as smoothly as windows xp right now?

I'm running 7 on an old single core ThinkPad with 2gb of RAM and find the performance to be about the same as XP, and the generally sense of stability much better. Not that XP ever crashed on that machine, but it would get 'stuck' for while, which 7 seems not to do.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

I'm building my first PC after having my old laptop bite the dust, and after spending hours trying to find the best combo of parts for deals and prices and etc, I've managed to leave myself about $40...

Then I remembered I need an OS :P

I've run XP for years, and really aren't interested in Vista in the slightest but could probably suck it up and take it for a couple of months, as I was seeing upgrade talks eaarlier in this thread. Can you guys give me any advice for what I should grab?

After some quick looking around, this: Home Premium 64BIT OEM DVD with Windows 7 Upgrade Offer looks like my best bet, but I'd love some advice from someone who knows what they're talking about.

I'm going to be doing music production with this machine, and probably a bit of gaming on the side. Minimum requirements aren't going to be a problem. Cheers.

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.
Does anyone have any idea how the media library works WRT to indexing/monitoring folders?

I'm finding that it can take hours for media (both music and movies) to show up as shared to the homegroup (unless I manually start up media player and force it to index or add to the library) on the local computer, and then even longer to show up on other homegroup computers as shared. Often this can be fixed by rebooting, but that's far from a reasonable solution.

Anyone else having these kind of issues?

Flex Mentallo
Mar 14, 2001

xamphear posted:

Aww, thats just mean :(

Shadowgate posted:

Haha, seriously why would you even use that style start menu? I don't understand why someone would want their OS to look like poo poo.

I'd like my OS to be blinged out as much as the next guy, but aero's white taskbar text + white highlight effect on top makes the app text hard to read.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Beyond a processor with VT and a video card that supports DX11, are there any other specific hardware needs than Win7 may need? Something like some special feature that is only enabled if you have X piece of hardware in your system? I'm getting to the point where I'm going to build an entirely new PC, and I'm curious if I should build one now, or if I should wait because some piece of hardware is coming out later that 7 could take advantage of.

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009

Flex Mentallo posted:

I'd like my OS to be blinged out as much as the next guy, but aero's white taskbar text + white highlight effect on top makes the app text hard to read.

You can change the colour of the tasskbar in Appearance / Personalization.

Flex Mentallo
Mar 14, 2001

4 Day Weekend posted:

You can change the colour of the tasskbar in Appearance / Personalization.

Hmm, even when setting the taskbar to completely black the white "highlight" on top of the white text was still there, maybe I missed some setting.

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

Flex Mentallo posted:

This is too hard to read?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Avian Pneumonia posted:

You might have to use some Vista drivers because some manufacturers are slow at getting new drivers out, and to be fair Win 7 isn't actually released yet.

I had a problem where Asus' Win7 beta driver for Xonar audio cards would pretty much lock up my computer after the restart and make it impossible to start any programs. I had to use system restore. I found out that the problem is fixed by installing the latest Vista hotfix driver on top of the Win 7 beta driver, before restarting.

You should be careful if you are installing 7 as the only OS. Set system restore points!

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

I realize this is a massive longshot, but does anyone know if there is a 7 driver for the ALI Cyberblade video chipset? I've had no luck and I'd like to use some of the (minimal) graphics acceleration available.
There are XP drivers out there. Can I force these to work or am I stuck with using a generic VGA driver?

Nillerz
Jun 24, 2008

Nillerz posted:

Why don't I eat veggies? I don't look at them as *food*, in the classical sense.
AM I POSTING ABOUT HOW WOMEN ARE STUPID, WEAK AND WORTHLESS? REMIND ME THAT I AM AN INFANTILE MANCHILD WHO REFUSES TO EAT VEGETABLES
I am the only person in the world to downgrade from Win7 to Vista, aren't I?

Stuntman Mike
Apr 14, 2007
The saucer people are coming!

Nillerz posted:

Really? You'd do that? What are your reasons?

Yes. Yes you are. :v:

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures

Stuntman Mike posted:

Really? You'd do that? What are your reasons?

Yes. Yes you are. :v:

I'm also curious as to why you would do this, other then to test the process itself.Do you have hardware that just wouldn't work under 7?

MjolnirMan
Aug 15, 2006
It's Hammertime
Yeah, as has been demonstrated by a few people, 7 can be made to look almost identical cosmetically to Vista, and most of the underlying software is changed in only a positive direction (including, thank god, the HDD footprint).

But perhaps Nillerz is an EXTREMELY die-hard Sidebar fan? Honestly, I'd quite like the feature back too, if just for docking and using "pages" of gadgets to scroll through using the arrows. But it is by no means a deal-breaker.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

I miss my quick-launch bar. I know I can "pin" poo poo, but the QL was better IMO.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

deep square leg posted:

Ah, very good. Took me a second to realise that it's a spoof of http://www.sevenclassicstart.com/

What the gently caress is the point of the Win95 style Start Menu?

If someone wanted to make an old-style Start Menu, then I'd think the XP one is the one they would want to copy. The XP style had the old style of displaying the "All Programs" menus, and had quick access to things like Computer (including its right-click menu).

The old Win9x style? What does it offer? I HATE trying to work on a system and it being set to the Win9x style. I'm so use to clicking Start, then right-clicking Computer to get to features like Computer Management.

It seems like some people like having "Show Desktop" hidden (or even deleted), have a dozen apps open, and the Win9x Start Menu enabled. I have to right-click the Taskbar and "show desktop", then hunt for their "My Computer" icon among the 800 desktop icons they have, or I have to go to Start-> Control Panel or something. Or I have to hit Start -> Run and type in something to open the management console or computer management.
Because that is SO MUCH easier than just clicking "Start" and having "Computer" right there. RIGHT?

Nillerz posted:

When I used Beta build 7000, I noticed lots of weird quirks that pissed me off. It made since for me to wipe Win7 then and go back to Vista. Everything since then has been great. Everything build 7077 and higher has been release-ready it seems.

So yeah, it's a little weird to go back from Win7 to Vista.

Windows 7 is Vista with a lot more polish. You don't like polish?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flex Mentallo
Mar 14, 2001

kapinga posted:

This is too hard to read?
Too hard or too hard, with a bright window off to the side behind me that is less comfortable to read than black on light grey.

Kynetx posted:

I miss my quick-launch bar. I know I can "pin" poo poo, but the QL was better IMO.
It's still there with show desktop icon and all. Just right click on the taskbar and go toolbars->new toolbar and point at
%userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch

Flex Mentallo fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Aug 3, 2009