Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Casao, what script are you using that made the post background green?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
You can also access that menu by hitting Alt, making the huge button there unnecessary.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
Has anyone managed anything cool with Unite? I had to send my iPhoto library to someone the other day, and I hated the fact that Opera Unite said this would be easy, and yet it was not, because I have not started to use Unite yet.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Stanley Pain posted:

Casao, what script are you using that made the post background green?

SALR from the OP.

Mithaldu posted:

You can also access that menu by hitting Alt, making the huge button there unnecessary.

Except that resizes poo poo and ends up being annoying as gently caress.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Uh, not here. In fact, i have no idea how a popup menu would even resize stuff.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Casao posted:

SALR from the OP.

Ah cool, used this a long time ago didn't know it had been updated :).

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Mithaldu posted:

Uh, not here. In fact, i have no idea how a popup menu would even resize stuff.

Oh, it brings up the exact same menu, my mistake, I misunderstood and didn't test it, figuring it worked akin to IE, Explorer and the other new apps by just showing the menu bar.

Meroin
Apr 23, 2008
Finally switched over to using tabs instead of windows in Opera and I like it alright. Mostly I switched because I discovered Right Click + Scroll and also installed Windows 7. Is there a way for the tabs to show up grouped like Explorer windows or IE tabs do in Aero preview on the taskbar when mousing over the Opera icon? I figured it's probably something for which we'll have to wait for the official release of Windows 7. (My main reason for not using tabs before was that I like to Alt+Tab through everything that's open. I can do this now with IE).

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Meroin posted:

Right Click + Scroll

Things I did not know. Thanks.

Meroin
Apr 23, 2008

kapalama posted:

Things I did not know. Thanks.
I figured someone would learn of this from my mentioning it. It seems that every time someone posts about a clever Opera shortcut/hotkey, the knowledge spreads. Perhaps we should make a small list of the best and put it in the OP.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Meroin posted:

Finally switched over to using tabs instead of windows in Opera and I like it alright. Mostly I switched because I discovered Right Click + Scroll and also installed Windows 7. Is there a way for the tabs to show up grouped like Explorer windows or IE tabs do in Aero preview on the taskbar when mousing over the Opera icon? I figured it's probably something for which we'll have to wait for the official release of Windows 7. (My main reason for not using tabs before was that I like to Alt+Tab through everything that's open. I can do this now with IE).

No, that has to be programmed in by the developer for that kind of thing to work with Windows 7, Opera will have to get around to it sometime.

Aturaten
Mar 23, 2008

by elpintogrande
Alright, what I want is very simple: to be able to pull up results from the address bar by searching titles without it searching the loving content of the web page. That's it. When you disable "Remember Content on Visited Webpages", this feature seems to disappear.

Opera is so drat good, it is by far the best browser, but this is the one thing that keeps me from using it as my main, non-development browser. Help?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I'm getting weird issues with Opera. First of all, Facebook:

Click here for the full 1036x194 image.

Their 'quick launch' bar no longer stays anchored, also there is no scroll slide on the right side.

Click here for the full 798x581 image.

When I try to log in, I get: "Logging in must go through the Facebook flow.
Please try again."

Finally, Opera occasionally locks up and crashes. Any ideas?

EDIT:
Version 9.64
Build 10487

EDIT II: Oh yeah, the Back button doesn't work in Facebook.

TITTIEKISSER69 fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Aug 8, 2009

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

sm8000 posted:

I'm getting weird issues with Opera. First of all, Facebook:

Click here for the full 1036x194 image.

Their 'quick launch' bar no longer stays anchored, also there is no scroll slide on the right side.

Click here for the full 798x581 image.

When I try to log in, I get: "Logging in must go through the Facebook flow.
Please try again."

Finally, Opera occasionally locks up and crashes. Any ideas?

EDIT:
Version 9.64
Build 10487

EDIT II: Oh yeah, the Back button doesn't work in Facebook.

Update to the latest version, none of that is happening.

Nobdy
Apr 12, 2004
LOLLERZ LOLLERZ LOLLERZ LOLLERZ
I'm still using 9.64 and I've never had any issues with Facebook. Do you have any userJS that might be messing with Facebook's? I also don't use any 3rd party apps so maybe one of those is the culprit.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Nobdy posted:

I'm still using 9.64 and I've never had any issues with Facebook. Do you have any userJS that might be messing with Facebook's? I also don't use any 3rd party apps so maybe one of those is the culprit.

Could be. I uninstalled and cleaned stuff out, then did a fresh clean install of 9.64 and all my website issues (Facebook et al) are gone. I guess I'll put in one UserJS at a time and see who breaks what.

Oh and I tried updating to the latest version too but the updater said I had the latest version. Guess it was broken too :v:

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
Has anyone gotten Unite to work? :(

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

sm8000 posted:

Oh and I tried updating to the latest version too but the updater said I had the latest version. Guess it was broken too :v:

10 is still in beta, though it's close to release. It's also got an actual updater built in, which will download it and prompt you to update, then take care of it for you. Not quite as good as Chrome's "I update in the background" deal, but whatever.

I'd highly recommend 10 anyway, they made a lot of interface improvements and behind the scenes engine updates.

GuyGizmo
Feb 26, 2003

stupid babies need the most attention

AnimalChin posted:

Has anyone gotten Unite to work? :(
My friend has. He said it took minimal effort to set up, and I could access all of the files and media on his computer in a nice little interface. It was neat.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

GuyGizmo posted:

My friend has. He said it took minimal effort to set up, and I could access all of the files and media on his computer in a nice little interface. It was neat.
It worked for me and a couple of friends the day it was announced, but ever since then the proxy servers and dns calls hardly resolve so almost everybody i know has problems when accessing unite servers.

There are already a few new plugins up though.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

GuyGizmo posted:

:cry: It never has for me. It says everything is running super awesome on my end but people either get a blank page or an endless loading sequence.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Has anyone tried customizing their Opera Speed Dial? It's a bit of an eyesore if left by its default look.

Opera issued a contest for whatever reasons with some nice entries. Resources here, here and here.

I haven't wrapped my head around everything, but if anyone start making a customized Speed Dial page, feel free to share your thumbnail icons with the rest of us, and we might be able to create a nice collection of thumbnails. Speaking of which, does anyone know where I can find a high-res SA logo?

GuyGizmo
Feb 26, 2003

Wouldn't Opera unite require forwarding a port on your router, since other people connect directly to your computer? Could that be why it doesn't work for anybody, or did Opera find a clever way to circumvent that?

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
That's what the proxy servers are for. Opera connects to the unite server, then waits for requests to come. Remote person connects to the unite server, unite forwards the request to Opera via the already open connection, then sends the response back to the remote person.

GuyGizmo
Feb 26, 2003

Plorkyeran posted:

That's what the proxy servers are for. Opera connects to the unite server, then waits for requests to come. Remote person connects to the unite server, unite forwards the request to Opera via the already open connection, then sends the response back to the remote person.
Ah, now I can see why the people at Opera Software were concerned about this system. Because if they're really successful and tons of people start using Opera Unite, then their servers are going to be hammered by the vast amounts of data that will need to move through them. Hopefully they could do something clever like having Opera automatically trying to use something like UPnP to set up automatic port forwarding, and resort to the proxy if all else fails.

Doesn't explain why everyone's been having so much trouble getting this to work. Maybe software firewalls are causing people grief?

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Many people have simply put, utterly retarded firewall/router mixes. When trying to fix poo poo for people using sites of mine I often got told they run 2+ firewalls, or have paranoid settings enabled just to be sure, which even strips referrer headers from http packets.

GuyGizmo
Feb 26, 2003

I admire Opera Software for trying to make running a basic webserver for accessing media and files easy and intuitive for the average home user. Given people in this thread are having difficulty, and what Mithaldu said, I have no idea how the hell they're going to pull it off, much less do it without any proxies. Good luck to them!

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Considering theres already a audio and video streaming plugin out there, i cant see anything good in the future if they really proxy all the traffic (which their simple diagram seems to suggest). Otherwise itd easier to just give every account a ton of webspace and serve from that.

And yeah, some people are indeed behind firewalls administrated by someone else.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

GuyGizmo posted:

Ah, now I can see why the people at Opera Software were concerned about this system. Because if they're really successful and tons of people start using Opera Unite, then their servers are going to be hammered by the vast amounts of data that will need to move through them. Hopefully they could do something clever like having Opera automatically trying to use something like UPnP to set up automatic port forwarding, and resort to the proxy if all else fails.

Doesn't explain why everyone's been having so much trouble getting this to work. Maybe software firewalls are causing people grief?

They probably just use the server to do NAT hole-punching, rather than sending all the traffic through it.

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

Sure, I got a secret. More than one...
how do I install fanboy's adblock list on opera 10? there is simply no \opera\opera\profile folder like there has been on every other install.

its for a friend on win7 x64

ufarn
May 30, 2009

thrawn86 posted:

how do I install fanboy's adblock list on opera 10? there is simply no \opera\opera\profile folder like there has been on every other install.

%appdata%\Opera\Opera 10 Preview\profile.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

thrawn86 posted:

Opera 10 is becoming a well behaved app and storing everything in %appdata%, much to my delight.

Also, as a reminder, OperaFly is an amazing way to do backups of your Opera profile, if you want to.

And later, I'll post something on how to make a minimalist Opera that looks great on a netbook - I've posted a couple shots before but it's been changed a bit. It really makes a difference and I've been using it for a week.

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

that folder didn't exist, but it does for me on x86. either way, I put him back on 9.6x and it works just fine.

now if only we could get rid of the window bar without a 3rd party app like I posted before...

thrawn86 fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Aug 13, 2009

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

Meroin posted:

btw, ctrl-tab cycles through tabs in most applications I've tried. just an alternative to those who aren't mouse gesture initiated yet.

OnyxRaven
Aug 10, 2009
Lately Opera has been crashing on me at random times, about once every 10 minutes or so. Started around 9.5 I believe. I'm using x64 Windows 7, 8GB of RAM. Is anyone else having stability problems? I would love to go back to it, Firefox is OK but I love Opera.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

OnyxRaven posted:

Lately Opera has been crashing on me at random times, about once every 10 minutes or so. Started around 9.5 I believe. I'm using x64 Windows 7, 8GB of RAM. Is anyone else having stability problems? I would love to go back to it, Firefox is OK but I love Opera.

Which version are you using now? Try the latest alpha, been rock solid for me on multiple machines.

Are you using the same profile/data files? Try deleting the profile and starting from scratch.

Have you seen any spikes in CPU/RAM/HDD usage around the crash? Can you trigger it manually? Try watching that for the next crash.

Try a fresh install of the latest Weekly from the Desktop Team blog to a new directory after wiping all of the Opera info from %appdata% and see if that helps.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

OnyxRaven posted:

Two things that if deleted tend to rescue me from some crashiness:
1. Stop the Sycn, and delete the in-process bookmarks lists. It seems like they get corrupted and hang and hang and hang.

2. Delete the favicon folders. They are tiny, but somtimes Opera will put many thousands of files in one folder, which causes crashiness.

Reisen
Aug 5, 2005

Still using 9.64, all of the sudden today no images from SA are loading until I right click and re-load each individual image. I don't have this problem with other sites or other browsers, and closing and opening Opera didn't help. I can't find anything in Site Preferences that seems to be the culprit. Any ideas for fixing?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Reisen posted:

Still using 9.64, all of the sudden today no images from SA are loading until I right click and re-load each individual image. I don't have this problem with other sites or other browsers, and closing and opening Opera didn't help. I can't find anything in Site Preferences that seems to be the culprit. Any ideas for fixing?

What UserJSes do you have?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Reisen posted:

Just SA? Sounds like you're set to Cached images only - check the View menu and see what Images are set to.

Or it could be a UserJS too, though I don't know of any that'd do that.

Or a CSS file.