Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

het posted:

I'm confused, are you looking for a place to start with Regina Spektor or just curious about other people's opinions?

Both. I know a little of her stuff, but just getting into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Final Fart Buttball
Jun 24, 2005

5436 posted:

Both. I know a little of her stuff, but just getting into it.

Get Soviet Kitsch first. If you like that, get Songs and Far.

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

MilitantBlackGuy posted:

So, I've always been kind of a closet fan of flamenco and Spanish guitar (for the lack of a better term) and just recently I grabbed some stuff by Paco de Lucia and Rodrigo y Gabriela. I'm loving them both, but I really don't know where to go from here. I really don't know anything about the genre, any recommendations would be awesome.

Gipsy Kings, Sir Richard Bishop, Charlie Byrd, Larry Coryell, DeVotchKa, Calexico

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

fruitpunch posted:

I'm tempted to recommend Lamb - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtIeH_J-SiI some of their songs might appeal to you more than others, but that song in particular is one of my favourites, ymmv :)

Gonna quote this, Lamb is a great band, though I found it hard to get into them. Every album has a different feel I think, there's a mix of drum and bass, chillout, trip hop and so on. If you don't like one album, try another. I'd say you should start chronologically, Lamb, Fear of Fours, What Sound and then Between Darkness and Wonder.

Still looking for a PJ Harvey recommendation. I like both the real raw early songs, and the softer ones later on. Favorite album is probably Is This Desire? if it helps.

Bean_
Oct 6, 2006

by Ozma
Looking to get into some "house" music. I downloaded "World's Greatest Electro House" from amazon for $3, and have fallen in love.

Anyone got anything that would go well with this?
http://www.amazon.com/Worlds-Greatest-Electro-House/dp/samples/B000NDJSX4/ref=dp_tracks_all_3#disc_3 Money in the Bag or Consequences....are probably two of my favorites in the 3.5+ hour mix.

Bean_ fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jul 31, 2009

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan
I'm sure someone's asked this before, but what's some good music to set the mood/get laid to?

I really wanna set the mood for my fiance tonight

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

KingShibby posted:

I'm sure someone's asked this before, but what's some good music to set the mood/get laid to?

there's been entire dumb threads about this and every post says Massive Attack - Mezzanine. Don't do that, do Friends of Dean Martinez, any album except Random Harvest

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Bean_ posted:

Looking to get into some "house" music. I downloaded "World's Greatest Electro House" from amazon for $3, and have fallen in love.

http://www.amazon.com/Worlds-Greatest-Electro-House/dp/samples/B000NDJSX4/ref=dp_tracks_all_3#disc_3 Money in the Bag or Consequences....are probably two of my favorites in the 3.5+ hour mix.

Well, this style of house has eight million blogs about it, so it's pretty easy to get into. Just get mixes from discobelle, disco dust, and the Mad Decent podcasts.

There's other kinds of house other than this, though. Watch the documentary "Pump Up the Volume," it's on google video.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

KingShibby posted:

Saez - Sexe, which I discovered from this scene :nws:, which is probably one of the hottest (technically) non-nude scenes ever filmed.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Bean_ posted:

http://www.di.fm/mp3/electro.pls
http://www.di.fm/mp3/house.pls

Plenty of others at that site.

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy

KingShibby posted:

Just download a ton of old 60's and 70's Soul Music. It's tailor-made for getting laid.

Stuntman Mike
Apr 14, 2007
The saucer people are coming!
Please recommend me music that's like R.E.M. and the Tragically Hip!

If that's too broad, just more bands similar to R.E.M., then.

spe
Aug 28, 2007

All Stocked Up
Some grindcore thats as foot tapping and funky as Pig Destroyer.

e: something equally well produced would be nice too.

spe fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jul 31, 2009

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Stuntman Mike posted:

Please recommend me music that's like R.E.M. and the Tragically Hip!

If that's too broad, just more bands similar to R.E.M., then.

If you're looking for stuff like R.E.M. you should look into jangle pop.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_jangle_pop_bands
http://allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=77:2692
http://www.last.fm/tag/jangle+pop

Grant it, not all of REM's songs are jangle pop but their earlier material is pretty representative of the genre. Some of my favorites are the Replacements, which combine hard rock with the janglier stuff, and the dB's, who are more power pop oriented.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Also, The Feelies.

Timelord
Jan 17, 2008

I'm looking to get into some older classical music. I can hazard a guess that I should listen to some Bach, Joplin, and Mozart.. But I don't quite know where to go from there.

I do know that I like more melodic and rhythm based songs than the grans expositions that you would get from a play's soundtrack.

Again my memory is quite fuzzy and I'm obviously not very versed in this area.

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

Timelord posted:

I'm looking to get into some older classical music. I can hazard a guess that I should listen to some Bach, Joplin, and Mozart.. But I don't quite know where to go from there.

I do know that I like more melodic and rhythm based songs than the grans expositions that you would get from a play's soundtrack.

Again my memory is quite fuzzy and I'm obviously not very versed in this area.

I'm not exactly sure what you're talking about with the 'play's soundtrack' business but why not try a classical compilation series? A good place to look is the local library, you can borrow a CD and then *ahem* it... Most composers have a fairly characteristic style that their works follow and in a 300 year old music it's not like there's going to be anyone new, hot and obscure you're missing out on. If you just want random names, Beethoven, Haydn and Schubert should definitely up there in the classics with Mozart and Bach, a few of my favorite later romantic composers are Tchaikofsky, Grieg, Chopin, Berlioz and Mendelssohn, and if you think you might like opera (hint: it's awesome) check out Verdi, Bizet, Wagner and Puccini, as well as Mozart's The Magic Flute (my favorite work by him).

I'm still not entirely sure what Joplin has to do with this (I'm assuming you're talking about Scott and not Janice, unless there's a classical composer named Joplin I've never heard of) but his stuff is pretty standard ragtime, so along those lines try Joseph Lamb and Greg Scott

*edit: forgot a couple*

kundalini rinsing fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Aug 1, 2009

Mad Eddy
Jul 22, 2007
I'm looking for some trippy/mellow stuff. Like for instance In the Fade by Queens of the Stone Age And kind of but less so like Piggy by Nine Inch Nails Also looking for stuff like the whole of Misfit Love also by QOTSA. I know I'm being terribly specific here but I can't seem to find anything like it. Really anything like Queens of the Stone Age would be great

Mad Eddy fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Aug 2, 2009

Brickhouse Betty
Sep 11, 2001

Well well well
Hey, I have a double recommendation request! But don't worry, they're kinda related.

First: I'm looking for fuzzed-out blues or possibly blues-rock, in the vein of Captain Beefheart, Tom Waits such as Real Gone, Bone Machine, Orphans: Bastards, or the like. I want it abrasive and I want it rough, but I still want the music grounded in blues, if possible. I'm planning a big drinking bender this month and I want the right background tunes.

Second: I want condensed Americana. Manufactured nostalgia is totally fine. I'm wanting a more relaxed feel here, something to listen to DURING the hangover following the aforementioned bender. Most of what the Asylum Street Spankers do would be appropriate, as would Tom Waits' slower songs like Kentucky Avenue or Ruby's Arms or Tom Traubert's Blues. Lyrics are fairly important here.

OK, I guess they're not really related, other than both being done really well by Tom Waits, but that should be helpful still. If you like Tom's rougher stuff, recommend me something there. If you like his ballads, recommend me something there. If you don't like Tom Waits, then have a crappy weekend, hope your house burns down.

Thanks!

Timelord
Jan 17, 2008

etard knievel posted:

I'm still not entirely sure what Joplin has to do with this

I meant Chopin actually, I said I was pretty fuzzy.
Thanks for the.. library idea. I'll check all of those out, and I did forget that I loved opera! Thanks for your help :buddy:

Edit: by play I meant vivaldi's four seasons, which I really hated for some reason.

Timelord fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Aug 2, 2009

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
OK, so this may a bit too vague, but I'll try my best to give an idea of what I'm looking for. I'm far from a music aficionado, so I may be using faulty terms to describe this stuff.

I've been trying to find some good "haunting" tracks; a piece that can kinda overwhelm you under the right listening circumstances (ex: as you fall asleep).

And I don't necessarily mean depressing in style, just... those tracks that, when there are no other sounds around, seem 10x the song you had previously thought they were.

I guess the common trait I notice is that they're usually centered around piano/organ/string instruments, or completely orchestrated. Figured I may as well link a bunch of tracks I already have that evoke this sentiment:

Burkhard Dallwitz & Philip Glass - Father Kolbe's Preaching
Final Fantasy - Better Than Worse
Michael Giacchino - Parting Words
Bear McCreary - Gaeta's Lament
Moby - My Weakness
Koh Ohtani - Sunlit Earth
Radiohead - Videotape
Sigur Rós - Starálfur
Hans Zimmer - Leave No Man Behind

So yeah, I'll listen to anything that's recommended, regardless of genre or artist. Thanks!

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

kalensc posted:

So yeah, I'll listen to anything that's recommended, regardless of genre or artist. Thanks!

Sounds like you'd like some post-rock stuff, especially since you already listed Sigur Ros there, and if you haven't checked out their early albums do so right now. As for others, try Explosions in the Sky's All of a Sudden I Miss Everyone, Godspeed You! Black Emperor's Infinity, Mono's Hymn to the Immortal Wind, Jesu's Silver EP and while not entirely post-rock also give Alcest's Souvenirs d'un Autre Monde a go.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

kalensc posted:

I guess the common trait I notice is that they're usually centered around piano/organ/string instruments, or completely orchestrated.

This song in particular sounds like what you're looking for: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jxvy7W9bqo&feature=related (Radio Protector by 65daysofstatic from their One Time For All Time album)

If you like that, you might want to check out the whole album, although this is the most orchestral song on there - the rest is more guitar orientated.

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

Try Arcade Fire and The National

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Thanks for the suggestions! A lot of great stuff was listed, but most of it I already own and didn't list in my previous post because I figured 30+ links would be overkill. :)

That being said, Alcest and 65daysofstatic is entirely new to me, so I'll check them out pronto.

And as I wrote this post out, I learned that Radio Protector is an excellent song.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Mad Eddy posted:

I'm looking for some trippy/mellow stuff. Like for instance In the Fade by Queens of the Stone Age

You'd probably enjoy Screaming trees which was one of Mark Lanegan's (the lead singer in that song) earlier bands. Their last album Dust probably has the most similar songs. If you like that, then check out Sweet Oblivian.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

kalensc posted:

OK, so this may a bit too vague, but I'll try my best to give an idea of what I'm looking for. I'm far from a music aficionado, so I may be using faulty terms to describe this stuff.

I've been trying to find some good "haunting" tracks; a piece that can kinda overwhelm you under the right listening circumstances (ex: as you fall asleep).

And I don't necessarily mean depressing in style, just... those tracks that, when there are no other sounds around, seem 10x the song you had previously thought they were.

I guess the common trait I notice is that they're usually centered around piano/organ/string instruments, or completely orchestrated. Figured I may as well link a bunch of tracks I already have that evoke this sentiment:

Moby - My Weakness
Radiohead - Videotape
Sigur Rós - Starálfur

Leonard Cohen's album Songs of Love and Hate.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.

kalensc posted:

Moby - My Weakness
Radiohead - Videotape
Sigur Rós - Starálfur

Wow, great to see Father Kolbe's Preaching in that list. The whole Truman Show soundtrack is excellent.

Check out Mogwai's Auto Rock. Its very, very good.

Also, the movie 'Monster' official soundtrack by BT.

Van or Astrovan
Oct 6, 2008

by Peatpot
I'm looking for something like the album Silent Movie by Quiet Village, plese help me

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

kingcobweb posted:

Leonard Cohen's album Songs of Love and Hate.

I'm almost embarrassed I'd never given any Cohen works a serious listen. Thanks!

Cyril Sneer posted:

Wow, great to see Father Kolbe's Preaching in that list. The whole Truman Show soundtrack is excellent.

Check out Mogwai's Auto Rock. Its very, very good.

Also, the movie 'Monster' official soundtrack by BT.

Weird, I love BT, and songs like The Antikythera Mechanism and Good Morning Kaia would have fit my above list quite well, but I didn't care much for the Monster OST on the first listen. I'll have to give it another spin I suppose.

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

Van or Astrovan posted:

I'm looking for something like the album Silent Movie by Quiet Village, plese help me

(awesome album) check out recloose, lindstrom & prins thomas, luke vibert/wagon christ, morgan geist and air france

DryOatmeal
Jan 30, 2009
Looking for some good, mellow/groove instrumental stuff. Similar to Black Magic Woman by Santana but more instrumental, and preferably stuff that doesn't stick to one riff.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I am trying to find some Francophone music that is nice and kind of mellow. An example would be Carla Bruni maybe mixed with the Amelie soundtrack. Thats a bad description, but essentially something light, maybe some accordion, and a nice smooth voice or voices singing in French. I tried using lastFM to find similar artists but the results returned were all anglophone.

My purpose is two fold: Firstly, I want some nice background music that I can write papers to without distracting me because I can't understand the language. Second, I will be taking up French soon and it would be nice to have something that, when I am ready, I can start to pick out words from in a language I will be learning. Anyone have some artists I should be on the look out for?

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

nesbit37 posted:

I am trying to find some Francophone music that is nice and kind of mellow. An example would be Carla Bruni maybe mixed with the Amelie soundtrack. Thats a bad description, but essentially something light, maybe some accordion, and a nice smooth voice or voices singing in French. I tried using lastFM to find similar artists but the results returned were all anglophone.

My purpose is two fold: Firstly, I want some nice background music that I can write papers to without distracting me because I can't understand the language. Second, I will be taking up French soon and it would be nice to have something that, when I am ready, I can start to pick out words from in a language I will be learning. Anyone have some artists I should be on the look out for?

Serge Gainsbourg - Histoire de Melody Nelson.

Twisted Aristocrat
Feb 1, 2006

by Peatpot
Any recommendations for someone who enjoys these two Lightning bolt songs in particular?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQ2ni-bYL_o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7fVK1mA2zg

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

doug fuckey fucked around with this message at 21:48 on May 31, 2012

sixteenstraws
May 7, 2009

slave to a label but I own my masters

nesbit37 posted:

jacques brel - olympia 64

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU
I really love the Demon Days album from Gorillaz. Where should I go from here?

Daryl Fucking Hall
Feb 27, 2007

Daryl ohhhhhhhh Daryl

doctor iono posted:

For Gorillaz? They only have one other album...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

doctor iono posted:

There's so many different types of songs on that album, better tell us which you enjoy most. Check out their release album too, they got some remix cd's too.