Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stedd
Jun 20, 2004

The name's Bullet. Tracer Bullet.

Psimitry posted:

So I'm forcing myself to work with the new taskbar without any form of quicklaunch or other quick access to shortcuts, and I feel like I'm getting used to it. I'm still not completely sold on the concept, as I REALLY don't like having all of my windows grouped. But I'm going to try it for a bit longer.

You can change the grouping from "Always combine, hide labels" to "Combine when taskbar is full" or "Never combine" on the Task bar and Start menu Properties dialog box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Virtual PC is available on Professional and up.

I tried running this earlier and it said my system didn't have hardware virtualization enabled while it (should) have it. I just ended up running Sun VirtualBox and it's working well enough.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

Shmoogy posted:

I tried running this earlier and it said my system didn't have hardware virtualization enabled while it (should) have it. I just ended up running Sun VirtualBox and it's working well enough.

http://www.grc.com/securable.htm run that and it will tell you for sure.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

quote:

Hardware Virtualization

This processor does offer advanced hardware support for hardware virtualization!

Yeah that doesn't make sense. I'll try to figure out why the program doesn't work later, it's probably disabled in the bios or something.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
It will be your BIOS, yes

deltawing
Sep 20, 2007

feels good man
I bought http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002DHLUWK/ref=ox_ya_oh_product for 50 bucks during the deal back in June.

Currently running the RC, will I have to re-install my Vista Home Premium that came with my computer BEFORE I can do this upgrade? And also, everytime I reformat (which is kind of often), will I have to revert back to Vista just to get 7, or can I just reformat straight from the upgrade disk?

EDIT: I think I may have found my answer in the OP, I must've missed it the first time, but I guess I would like some clarification on the reformat question. Say I upgraded to 7 from Vista Home Premium, but I wanna reformat. Do I just use the 7 Upgrade disk and reformat from there or do I have to go back to my factory installed OS, aka Vista Home Premium?

EDIT 2: I guess I've just never used an Upgrade disk before. Is it just gonna ask for my serial from Vista Home Premium and ensure it's legit and then allow me to clean install with the 7 Upgrade disk?

Thanks for the help :3 Hope I didn't make it too confusing, I just wanna make sure my 50 bucks was well spent for the Upgrade and that it won't be a MAJOR pain in the rear end when I wanna reformat all the time.

deltawing fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Aug 4, 2009

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Install once, activate, image. Never worry about it again.

deltawing
Sep 20, 2007

feels good man

ilkhan posted:

Install once, activate, image. Never worry about it again.

Make in image of the activated copy? I'm not a total retard (or maybe I am) but further clarification would be appreciated :) thanks man

deltawing fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Aug 4, 2009

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

deltawing posted:

Make in image of the activated copy? I'm not a total retard (or maybe I am) but further clarification would be appreciated :) thanks man

There are a variety of programs out there which can clone hard drives either to other hard drives or to a file. Think of it as a .ISO but for a harddrive.

Acronis TrueImage is the goon-approved one, but you have to pay for that. I used a free one called SelfImage that does roughly the same thing. Basically you boot from a boot CD/Floppy/USB with a suitable imaging program installed and dump the contents into a file on a USB harddrive.

But basically yes, install Win7 once (clean install preferably) and then before you even start installing drivers (as they will probably have been updated by the time you come to re-install your image) take an image, keep it somewhere safe and if you need to reformat, you just blast the image back onto your harddrive using the same boot CD, problem solved.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Lum posted:

But basically yes, install Win7 once (clean install preferably) and then before you even start installing drivers (as they will probably have been updated by the time you come to re-install your image) take an image, keep it somewhere safe and if you need to reformat, you just blast the image back onto your harddrive using the same boot CD, problem solved.
Id install any drivers that dont get updated often, and any software you are always going to need (fully patched for the time). Then you dont have to reinstall those apps/updates either.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I mean how often do you update your sound/NIC drivers? If you have a Creative you don't count.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Fair point. I was thinking more like ATI/nVidia drivers which are updated every week and still don't work properly, and also need a full uninstall or the new ones don't even install properly half the time.

Best to image your machine before you put that crap on there, because chances are it'll be ATI or nVidia that are causing you to have to reinstall in the first bloody place.

Use your own judgement. If you have a Marvell NIC, they update all the time, as do things like the Intel ICH*R RAID drivers, and Logitech SetPoint gets updated quite often too.

Lum fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Aug 5, 2009

lazydog
Apr 15, 2003

Lum posted:

There are a variety of programs out there which can clone hard drives either to other hard drives or to a file. Think of it as a .ISO but for a harddrive.

Acronis TrueImage is the goon-approved one, but you have to pay for that. I used a free one called SelfImage that does roughly the same thing. Basically you boot from a boot CD/Floppy/USB with a suitable imaging program installed and dump the contents into a file on a USB harddrive.

Windows 7 makes it even easier because one of the options with the built-in backup software lets you do a full disk image, and lets you create a bootable rescue disk.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

lazydog posted:

Windows 7 makes it even easier because one of the options with the built-in backup software lets you do a full disk image, and lets you create a bootable rescue disk.
wow. that Ill have to play with. :)

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
So I want to put Win7 on my lappy to see how well it runs. I have the 64 bit version on my main PC fine with no problems.

I download the 32 bit copy direct from MS and it fails the loving integrity check. I tried downloading a 32 build 7100 bit copy from a news server but the MD5 points to a copy infected with a trojan. Where is a reliable fast place to download the 32bit version that I can use my beta 32 bit key with?

deltawing
Sep 20, 2007

feels good man

Lum posted:

The alternative to doing this would be having to reinstall Vista every time just for a proper 7 reformat with my Upgrade disk, then?

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
3rd attempt finally passed a verification check. Dunno why it didnt want to work before this attempt.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

lazydog posted:

Woah, it can do this?

That's freaking awesome if so. I've been using TrueImage but I'd love for a built-in/native backup solution. As long as it's truely backing everything up 100% bit-by-bit.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

Vinlaen posted:

Woah, it can do this?

That's freaking awesome if so. I've been using TrueImage but I'd love for a built-in/native backup solution. As long as it's truely backing everything up 100% bit-by-bit.

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/windows_7_feature_focus_%E2%80%93_backup_and_restore

This was posted today and explains how to do it in a step by step guide.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Parachute Underwear posted:

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/windows_7_feature_focus_%E2%80%93_backup_and_restore

This was posted today and explains how to do it in a step by step guide.

I was pretty excited about this until I saw that it requires that I have 460 gb for my image. My Windows 7 partition is only 100gb.

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

Shmoogy posted:

I was pretty excited about this until I saw that it requires that I have 460 gb for my image. My Windows 7 partition is only 100gb.

Where does it say that? He uses a 460 GB drive, but its not the minimum required. What he does say, though, is on the last page:

quote:

Ideally, a backup drive should have available space least twice the size of the hard disk capacity you are backing up. [...] If you use a backup target drive that is less than double the capacity of your backup source, you will fill it up more quickly. Windows Backup will prompt you to discard older backups to make room for newer backups.

There is no point in making a backup if you don't have some other drive to store it on. If you want backups and don't even have 200GB free on some other drive, it's time to buy a new drive.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

kapinga posted:

Where does it say that? He uses a 460 GB drive, but its not the minimum required. What he does say, though, is on the last page:

There is no point in making a backup if you don't have some other drive to store it on. If you want backups and don't even have 200GB free on some other drive, it's time to buy a new drive.

No, it is asking me for 460 gigs free. I have a terabyte hard drive to back up things on, but I don't want to use half of it to back this up.

I think it's trying to create an image of Windows 7 partition AND vista partition (460 gigs) I'll try playing around with it later.

e:

Shmoogy fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Aug 5, 2009

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Shmoogy posted:

No, it is asking me for 460 gigs free. I have a terabyte hard drive to back up things on, but I don't want to use half of it to back this up.

I think it's trying to create an image of Windows 7 partition AND vista partition (460 gigs) I'll try playing around with it later.

e:

You're trying to back up 460 GB, but you don't want to take up 460 GB?

Don't back up all 460 gigs then.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Shmoogy posted:

e:

It's just a notice, not a stop. You can still choose what you want to back up in the next two screens.

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

NCIX.COM is having an offer where, if you buy Vista, you get a free Windows 7 upgrade (to the corresponding option). The prices are roughly $100 less than the posted Windows 7 retail versions will be. Is this worth snapping up? I don't have any experience with using upgrade versions or what their drawbacks may be.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
Well I took the plunge and finally upgraded my main Vista install. Four hours. :suicide: Majority of that was the settings crap. I had to uninstall the drivers for my scsi card before the upgrade would even work. (Funny thing about those, they're inbox drivers from Vista and I get every drat warning in the book installing them but they work fine.) Looks like they decided to say gently caress you to the Ultimate Extras crowd and not only not offer anything this time around they disable everything you already had. Classy. I'm currently trying to get daemon tools working again, but that seems to be the only headache so far.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

That Windows Backup system image capability looks perfect.

I typically image my systems (using TrueImage) but this looks quite a bit nicer. I wonder if you can create differential system images though...

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
I had thought Backup was like system restore, while I only want to backup selected documents (I couldn't care less about the system drive). But I just had a pick through it and it does look pretty decent. Definitely more user-friendly than my current method:

quote:

@echo off
mkdir b:\stuff
c:\windows\system32\robocopy s:\ b:\stuff /MIR /XA:SH /XD "$Recycle.Bin" "System Volume Information" "temp" /R:0 /W:0 /TEE /V /NFL /NDL /NP /log+:"a:\programs\backup\robobackup.log"
attrib -h -s b:\stuff

CombatMedic
Feb 26, 2004

ANUDDAH SUCCESSFOOL PRECEEDJUH!
Sprint mobile broadband is blocking ICMP traffic for me. Does anyone know how to bypass this in Win 7?

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

deep square leg posted:

I had thought Backup was like system restore, while I only want to backup selected documents (I couldn't care less about the system drive). But I just had a pick through it and it does look pretty decent. Definitely more user-friendly than my current method:

I love robocopy, but if all you're backing up is a less than a couple gigs of documents you should check out something like Mozy. Having your stuff on a second HDD won't help when your house burns down/is flooded/gets carried off by a tornado.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

LooseChanj posted:

I'm currently trying to get daemon tools working again, but that seems to be the only headache so far.

Install SPTD manually then reboot and install Daemon Tools.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

xamphear posted:

I love robocopy, but if all you're backing up is a less than a couple gigs of documents you should check out something like Mozy. Having your stuff on a second HDD won't help when your house burns down/is flooded/gets carried off by a tornado.

Thanks, I have thought of that. It's currently about 20GB, though, and will increase (lots of raw photos). I'm not trying to protect against fire, just against failing drives.

I do back up a small number of personal documents to an offsite server, though.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Lum posted:

Install SPTD manually then reboot and install Daemon Tools.

I must have had a brain fart or something because I thought I'd re-installed it after it stopped working after the upgrade, but I just tried again it works now.

That sentence sucks, but you can see what I mean.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Any ETA for TrueCrypt compatibility for Win7?

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

ufarn posted:

Any ETA for TrueCrypt compatibility for Win7?
3 months ago? I've been using it since before the RC. Works great.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

xamphear posted:

3 months ago? I've been using it since before the RC. Works great.
Are you running 32-bit?

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
TC works perfectly for me on x64.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
Are there any Windows7 "themes" that are more than just Color+Wallpaper? I mean things that change the border icons and title bar not just to another color but to a completely different layout. I can never tell what window has focus and every "theme" just tints the glass a slightly different color. I'm afraid of trying to google "windows 7 themes" because why don't I just add "and viruses" on the end of that.

Can someone also explain to me why UAC is considered security at all when a PA account can dll inject into explorer and auto-elevate to gain administrative rights? The article claims that there's no point to doing so, because fixing your software to run and elevate itself properly are easier, but dll injection is loving childsplay and in the 101 class for system exploitation.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Odd. I must have been deterred by the Win7 warning the first time I tried it, or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
Microsoft cares about their corporate users first, and they shouldn't really be running as PA. If you turn the UAC slider up one notch this also prompts on PA accounts. This can be easily done via group policy I presume.