Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phayray
Feb 16, 2004

Lum posted:

Install SPTD manually then reboot and install Daemon Tools.

According to the Daemon Tools site they updated it to work with Win7. http://www.disc-tools.com/download/daemon if you read "What's new." I tried it out on Win7 RC (7100) and it worked fine. The only thing that happens is windows says it didn't install correctly until you reboot to complete the install. Also, I think you have to run it once as an admin but I could be misremembering that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Vinlaen posted:

That Windows Backup system image capability looks perfect.

I typically image my systems (using TrueImage) but this looks quite a bit nicer. I wonder if you can create differential system images though...

It's actually pretty awesome. I looked last night to run a manual backup, since I'd gotten an error a few months ago and never corrected it. Turned out that it just kept going, and has been successfully backing up every week since then, completely silently and without and reason for me to notice.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

CapnBry posted:

Can someone also explain to me why UAC is considered security at all when a PA account can dll inject into explorer and auto-elevate to gain administrative rights? The article claims that there's no point to doing so, because fixing your software to run and elevate itself properly are easier, but dll injection is loving childsplay and in the 101 class for system exploitation.

Security is only a secondary purpose of UAC. The main purpose is to force application developers to write applications that don't require an administrator account (which in the end increases security).

Mark Russinovich posted:

The primary goal of UAC is to enable more users to run with standard user rights. However, one of UAC's technologies looks and smells like a security feature: the consent prompt. Many people believed that the fact that software has to ask the user to grant it administrative rights means that they can prevent malware from gaining administrative rights. Besides the visual implication that a prompt is a gateway to administrative rights for just the operation it describes, the switch to a different desktop for the elevation dialog and the use of the Windows Integrity Mechanism, including User Interface Privilege Isolation (UIPI), seem to reinforce that belief.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/2009.07.uac.aspx

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
All the people that bitch about UAC need to loving take a look at Linux and Mac OS X (you know, operating systems that are not famous for having a horrific loving LACK of security like Windows was).

I lose track of all the drat prompts I receive under Ubuntu and Mac OS X. And those require me to type in my password over and over and over instead of just being able to hit "Continue" like in Windows.

UAC was a great step for Windows to have better security. I don't want anything older than Vista touching my systems now.
Did anyone make note that Windows XP:
- Defaulted everyone to Admin accounts at install?
- Defaulted to running every application (regardless of how destructive) with full system access?
- Left all ports open by default until SP2?

XP was just begging to get hosed.

It doesn't matter that UAC is not 100% perfect. It doesn't matter if there are exploits. The fact that it works, it works well, and isn't as annoying as other options means it is a great success.

Xenomorph fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Aug 5, 2009

Fleedar
Aug 29, 2002
RARRUGHH!!
Lipstick Apathy

deltawing posted:

The alternative to doing this would be having to reinstall Vista every time just for a proper 7 reformat with my Upgrade disk, then?

I am curious about this as well, because I don't want to have to load a disk image every time I want to reformat and reinstall Windows.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Blech. Maybe this should go into HOTS but it's Win7...

How can I track down a buggy driver? I think I have one somewhere and it might be causing issues. I posted here before about the weird memory problems in the event log and since then I've been having some lock-up issues.

I just ran windows update and let it change any driver it saw fit, one of them was my display driver (nVidia - I've been running 185 since I installed Win7 with no real issues, and it updated to 186 even though I know I just installed 190 on a different machine...) and one of them WAS my printer driver (Canon ip2000) which was recently installed prior to the issues. I'm hoping that was it, but without any sort of event log entries I have no idea how to know. Other than if it stops crashing now that it's been updated.

Usually it's just the explorer stops responding and slowly dies until everything is unresponsive and I have to reboot, but this last time I had just come back from a boot, went to search for something in Firefox and closed the window and bam - hard lock. No cursor movement or anything that time.

I'm starting to worry it might be a hardware issue :ohdear:. Temps are perfectly fine at point of lock in RealTemp though, it's not overheating.

dorkanoid
Dec 21, 2004

Tagra posted:

I just ran windows update and let it change any driver it saw fit, one of them was my display driver (nVidia - I've been running 185 since I installed Win7 with no real issues, and it updated to 186 even though I know I just installed 190 on a different machine...) and one of them WAS my printer driver (Canon ip2000) which was recently installed prior to the issues. I'm hoping that was it, but without any sort of event log entries I have no idea how to know. Other than if it stops crashing now that it's been updated.

For me at least, ALL the drivers I can get from Windows Update are from 2007 - and if I install the network drivers from there, I get network dropouts every 20 seconds.

There is a driver verification wizard which boots the drivers in some special mode, this was one of the first hits on google, not sure how good it is. (Basically I think it's "run verifier.exe from an elevated cmd prompt)

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Fleedar posted:

I am curious about this as well, because I don't want to have to load a disk image every time I want to reformat and reinstall Windows.

What?

You load a disk image so you don't HAVE to reformat or reinstall windows. It replaces your hdd with what's in the disk image - if you take one from just after a fresh install, it'll be the same as doing a fresh install, only without having to do any of the setup or driver installs.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

CombatMedic posted:

Sprint mobile broadband is blocking ICMP traffic for me. Does anyone know how to bypass this in Win 7?

What do you need to ping stuff for, and why would you think you can overcome a network blocked service with just Windows 7?

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
From http://windowsteamblog.com/blogs/windows7/archive/2009/07/21/when-will-you-get-windows-7-rtm.aspx?PageIndex=6, comments, page 6

quote:

Brandon LeBlanc

Posted on: August 05, 2009 at 1:25AM

Update regarding MSDNAA - I'm told folks can expect the Windows 7 RTM bits to become available on MSDNAA around August 14th (8/14). I'll post more info once I get it. Sorry for the delay to the MSDNAA folks asking about availability.

drat, I was looking forward to installing this tomorrow, too. :(

scarymonkey
Jul 15, 2003

by angerbeet
Anyone try the boot from .vhd feature of Windows 7? How does it run, what operating systems did you try?

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
Is there any way that the file created by Backup can be browsed? Or can it only be reversed by Windows? I think I might just keep doing it the rsync way since I don't schedule it anyway (I turn on my external drive and click go every few days) and I like that it keeps the same file structure.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
I couldn't find selfimage, the DNS wouldn't resolve.
The first alt download site I found would give it up either.

If anyone knows where to find it, that'd be cool.

Saltin
Aug 20, 2003
Don't touch

Lakitu7 posted:

From http://windowsteamblog.com/blogs/windows7/archive/2009/07/21/when-will-you-get-windows-7-rtm.aspx?PageIndex=6, comments, page 6

drat, I was looking forward to installing this tomorrow, too. :(

This is just the Academic stream right? MSDN proper is still expecting it tomorrow as far as I know.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Phayray posted:

According to the Daemon Tools site they updated it to work with Win7. http://www.disc-tools.com/download/daemon if you read "What's new." I tried it out on Win7 RC (7100) and it worked fine. The only thing that happens is windows says it didn't install correctly until you reboot to complete the install. Also, I think you have to run it once as an admin but I could be misremembering that.

If you get SPTD separately, you get V1.60 not V1.58. The duplex secure site states that only 1.60 works in "recent builds of Win7".

The Daemon Tools site itself pops up an advert for Daemon Tools Pro afterwards stating that Pro is required for Windows 7 support. Daemon Tools Pro includes SPTD 1.60

I can confirm that 1.60 is working in Win7 RTM with Daemon Tools Lite 4304

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

ufarn posted:

Odd. I must have been deterred by the Win7 warning the first time I tried it, or something.

The warning is because Truecrypt can't encrypt a system partition on Windows 7 yet. If you're just using an image or an encrypted (nonsystem) partition it works fine. I've been using it on x64 for months.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

Saltin posted:

This is just the Academic stream right? MSDN proper is still expecting it tomorrow as far as I know.

Yeah, says so on the same site.

johndoe7776059
Aug 31, 2001

CapnBry posted:

Can someone also explain to me why UAC is considered security at all when a PA account can dll inject into explorer and auto-elevate to gain administrative rights? The article claims that there's no point to doing so, because fixing your software to run and elevate itself properly are easier, but dll injection is loving childsplay and in the 101 class for system exploitation.

This is only a problem with the new way UAC runs by default in Windows 7. Blame people bitching about how horrible it was to get a UAC popup using the control panel. If you drag the UAC slider all way up, it goes back to acting the way it did in Vista and that exploit goes away.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

johndoe7776059 posted:

This is only a problem with the new way UAC runs by default in Windows 7. Blame people bitching about how horrible it was to get a UAC popup using the control panel. If you drag the UAC slider all way up, it goes back to acting the way it did in Vista and that exploit goes away.

The only reason I drag the slider down is to stop the screen blackening. If there's an easy way to keep the security right up and do this I'd like to know.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

deep square leg posted:

The only reason I drag the slider down is to stop the screen blackening. If there's an easy way to keep the security right up and do this I'd like to know.

Wasn't there a registry hack to do this in Vista? Might work for 7.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Kynetx posted:

Wasn't there a registry hack to do this in Vista? Might work for 7.

Pretty sure said hack just does the same thing the slider does in 7.

Edit: Well, not quite, I guess. A hack could allow you to maintain all the functions of the highest setting, except without the desktop switching. I was thinking of the difference between the default setting and the one below it. Those two settings are identical except for the dimming. In any case, understand that disabling the dimming is less secure no matter how tightly you've got UAC set.

Hipster_Doofus fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Aug 6, 2009

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
It's not a hack. It's right there in Local Security Policy. The magic of system administration!

Profane Obituary!
May 19, 2009

This Motherfucker is Dead
I wonder what time on August 6th the Technet subscribers get Win 7 RTM

Priam
Jun 27, 2004

I just noticed that when you raise/lower volume the volume icon changes :aaaaa:

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Profane Obituary! posted:

I wonder what time on August 6th the Technet subscribers get Win 7 RTM

It'll probably be on TechNet when I wake up in the morning hopefully. I want it now because MS's servers take forever to download stuff from. It took me an hour to download 700 MB for the Office 2007 Ultimate ISO.

Godzilla07 fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Aug 6, 2009

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Priam posted:

:ssh: That's been there since vista.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Captain Novolin posted:

:ssh: That's been there since vista.

Hahaha drat, I never noticed it then, either. I wonder what percentage of us have noticed it ever. My primary machine is also my HTPC, so pretty much all volume changes are either done via the receiver, or the via discrete volume control of whatever is playing at the moment (MPC, a flash video, Pandora etc...)

I can't be the only one who hardly ever uses the any aspect of the windows mixer or volume control.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Priam posted:

Wow cool. I used Vista for a grand total of 7 days before going back to XP, so I never caught this.

I just noticed that if you're playing music (or whatever) and you click on the volume control, it shows the current output level on the slider. Pretty neat.

Fleedar
Aug 29, 2002
RARRUGHH!!
Lipstick Apathy

Casao posted:

What?

You load a disk image so you don't HAVE to reformat or reinstall windows. It replaces your hdd with what's in the disk image - if you take one from just after a fresh install, it'll be the same as doing a fresh install, only without having to do any of the setup or driver installs.

Yes, I am aware of that, and it's irrelevant to the question. If I don't have the means to store the image or I lose it and therefore have to reinstall, do I have to first install Vista and then use my Windows 7 upgrade disk? I've never purchased an upgrade copy before so I'm not sure how it works.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Fleedar posted:

Yes, I am aware of that, and it's irrelevant to the question. If I don't have the means to store the image or I lose it and therefore have to reinstall, do I have to first install Vista and then use my Windows 7 upgrade disk? I've never purchased an upgrade copy before so I'm not sure how it works.

If your current activated Win 7 install still functions, you can do a clean flatten and reinstall by "Upgrading" your current install and using the clean install option.

You would need to go back and load Vista if your current OS install was non-functional and you don't have an image.

So, if you start from bare metal and don't have an image, you need to install a qualifying OS first. If you are already running 7 and it isn't hosed, you don't need to.

Fleedar
Aug 29, 2002
RARRUGHH!!
Lipstick Apathy

bull3964 posted:

If your current activated Win 7 install still functions, you can do a clean flatten and reinstall by "Upgrading" your current install and using the clean install option.

You would need to go back and load Vista if your current OS install was non-functional and you don't have an image.

So, if you start from bare metal and don't have an image, you need to install a qualifying OS first. If you are already running 7 and it isn't hosed, you don't need to.

Thanks for clearing that up!

Elos
Jan 8, 2009

I was hoping installing win7 would get rid of my problem but no, I still get atikmdag.sys bluescreens at boot. Usually it takes about five tries to get this piece of poo poo trough to desktop but when it get's there, it's stable as a rock. I had the same thing with Vista and I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the new driver model because there's no prolem in XP or safe mode or when the ATI drivers aren't installed.

I'd switch back to XP but it feels so old after using 7 for a while. :smith:

Treytor
Feb 8, 2003

Enjoy, uh... refreshing time!

Elos posted:

I was hoping installing win7 would get rid of my problem but no, I still get atikmdag.sys bluescreens at boot. Usually it takes about five tries to get this piece of poo poo trough to desktop but when it get's there, it's stable as a rock. I had the same thing with Vista and I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the new driver model because there's no prolem in XP or safe mode or when the ATI drivers aren't installed.

Sounds like a power supply problem to me.

EDIT: Or video card.

Elos
Jan 8, 2009

Yeah but it's odd that there's no symptoms in XP or any other OS outside of Vista/7 and it's only during boot. If the video card or PSU was broken I should have crashing games and/or visual abnormalities or something. :colbert:

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Elos posted:

You have an nForce2/3 motherboard, right? If so your problem is that nVidia never released vista drivers for those boards, so Vista and up use microsoft's generic ones and they don't work quite right in all cases (especially cases with ATi graphics cards and dual core CPUs). You can either manually set your PC to disable one of the cores on your CPU or upgrade.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.
If you're using an NF2/3 chipset you deserve what you get.

In the interest of being helpful, have you checked for bulging caps?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

:f5:ing the hell out of my TechNet downloads page today. Not much work getting done today, it seems, heh.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

AlexDeGruven posted:

:f5:ing the hell out of my TechNet downloads page today. Not much work getting done today, it seems, heh.

A thread on another forum stated 6PM GMT, so that'll be 10AM - 2PM for you Americans, depending on time zone

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

pugna posted:

Why are you trying to use the 64 bit versions anyway? It's not like you'll notice any improvement.

I don't know. Why am I trying to use a 64 bit OS anyway? It's not like I'll notice any improvement.
Stupid argument.

Lum posted:

As for the 32bit Media Player thing. My understanding is that 64bit Media Player requires 64bit codecs which, for the most part, don't exist yet so I wouldn't bother using it, there's nothing to gain by doing so.

I haven't had any trouble playing any of my videos using 64 bit WMP. What codecs exactly don't have 64 bit support?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Lum posted:

A thread on another forum stated 6PM GMT, so that'll be 10AM - 2PM for you Americans, depending on time zone

Good to know. EDT here, so I have to wait 'till after lunch.