Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

xgalaxy posted:

I don't know. Why am I trying to use a 64 bit OS anyway? It's not like I'll notice any improvement.
Stupid argument.

Oh poo poo, what happened to my last GB or RAM?!?!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Lum posted:

A thread on another forum stated 6PM GMT, so that'll be 10AM - 2PM for you Americans, depending on time zone

Dammit. At least this will give me time to get to the gym.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
RTM is now live on Technet and MSDN

Baggins
Feb 21, 2007

Like a Great Wind!
And the servers are getting hammered. Unable to get a new key and the download only managing 140k/sec...

Ahwell, not really in a rush anyway.

EDIT: Microsoft really hates Firefox... Started the download from IE in stead, and all of a sudden I get 600k/sec in stead.

Baggins fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Aug 6, 2009

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

drat, I was hoping for clarification about Volume Licensing, like if I could install Professional and it would take a Volume License key or not (I know Vista specifically required separate media), but what's on MSDN right now is too vague.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Baggins posted:

And the servers are getting hammered. Unable to get a new key and the download only managing 140k/sec...

Ahwell, not really in a rush anyway.

...and that's just the traffic from the cracking groups.

Cryptic Edge
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

univbee posted:

drat, I was hoping for clarification about Volume Licensing, like if I could install Professional and it would take a Volume License key or not (I know Vista specifically required separate media), but what's on MSDN right now is too vague.

7 does too, I just tried my VLA key and it was rejected because I need enterprise, not ultimate. It was picky between the two versions, even though they are basically the same.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Cracking groups have probably had it for a week or two now...

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Pulling down now. Getting a relatively solid 200KB/sec. Wish it would go faster, though.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
I was furiously :f5: and caught it right at released and was getting over a meg down. Of course I have watched that taper off over the last 45 minutes to about 150k.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

I don't want to deal with the unbelievably slow DL speeds of the hammered MS servers, so I'm going to probably get the :filez: version. I do have a TechNet subscription. So can I just put in my license key that I get from TechNet and use it with the RTM from "those" sites?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Godzilla07 posted:

I don't want to deal with the unbelievably slow DL speeds of the hammered MS servers, so I'm going to probably get the :filez: version. I do have a TechNet subscription. So can I just put in my license key that I get from TechNet and use it with the RTM from "those" sites?

As long as the build types (Ultimate, Enterprise, etc) match the key you're using (and the hashes match up for safety), then you should be good. It's (technically) only piracy if you don't already have a legitimate right to obtain the DVD.

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003
Would you like to buy a monkey?
The SHA-1 hashes of the Ultimate Retail ISOs off MSDN do match the ones in the OP if anyone was worried :)

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Fancy_Lad posted:

The SHA-1 hashes of the Ultimate Retail ISOs off MSDN do match the ones in the OP if anyone was worried :)

Thanks, I was wondering. Now where's my key dammit.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
seriously the hashes match? The hashes in the first post include the direct to ultimate file. That just seems...wierd.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Godzilla07 posted:

AlexDeGruven posted:

As long as the build types (Ultimate, Enterprise, etc) match the key you're using (and the hashes match up for safety), then you should be good. It's (technically) only piracy if you don't already have a legitimate right to obtain the DVD.

Your ISP may still send you a NOTICE OF COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT email if you are caught with a Windows ISO.

I just got this one not too long ago while helping out with the free/public Windows 7 RC:

quote:

Charter Communications

RE: Unauthorized Distribution of the following copyrighted computer program(s):

Dear Sir/Madam:

The Business Software Alliance (BSA) has determined that the above connection, which appears to be using an Internet account under your control, is using a P2P network seen below to offer unlicensed copies of copyrighted computer programs published by the BSA's member companies.

Evidentiary Information:
Notice ID: 197-598xxx
Asset: Microsoft Windows
Protocol: BitTorrent
IP Address: xxx
DNS: xxx.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com
File Name: Microsoft Windows 7 RC Build 7201 (32-Bit)
File Size: 2499923968
Timestamp: 6 Jun 2009 07:07:48 GMT

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Xenomorph posted:

Your ISP may still send you a NOTICE OF COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT email if you are caught with a Windows ISO.

I just got this one not too long ago while helping out with the free/public Windows 7 RC:

Yeah... This is still true. While you're not distributing anything that's not publicly available, you're still breaking the rules by distributing outside of the channels.

THOUGH: This is technically not Copyright infringement, so you could really inform Charter that they need to tell MS where to cram it if you were distributing something that was freely available.

TOS Violation: Sure
Copyright Infringment: Nope

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Cryptic Edge posted:

7 does too, I just tried my VLA key and it was rejected because I need enterprise, not ultimate. It was picky between the two versions, even though they are basically the same.

Yeah, I suspected as much.

I'm actually having a hard time now finding out exactly what you get as Microsoft Gold Partner. Beyond what we get with MSDN/Technet accounts, we also get internal use licenses; for Vista we got 10 copies of Business and 1 copy of Ultimate, is it the same for 7 (10 Pro, 1 Ultimate) or does it get more hosed-up? Surprisingly, the partner site is down now and has been since the RTM posting, even though Partners aren't supposed to have their keys yet.

EDIT: Found out we get 200 (!) Enterprise licenses, in case anyone else is wondering. Basic Certified Partners get 50.

univbee fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Aug 6, 2009

Baggins
Feb 21, 2007

Like a Great Wind!
Just managed to get a key, but the download is down to about a hundred k/sec.

I'll share the key for those that haven't got one yet.

Foxtrot Charlie Kilo Golf Whiskey...

pokecapn
Oct 17, 2003

yeah, galo sengen

Xenomorph posted:

Build 7201 was neither free nor public because it was a leak.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

just gonna throw this out there for anybody with Toshiba laptops or just webcams in general with similar trouble, but my built in webcam used to be quite terrible, if the light in the room wasn't blinding, the cam would just show black, except for lights such as a power LED or a tv screen, but since I upgraded to Windows 7, my cam always works, even it areas with low light.

Bitcoin Billionaire
Mar 10, 2007
Windows 7 cured my cancer. Thank you Windows 7...thank you...

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

My impatience hosed me up. I don't think I can get my :filez: version to boot into setup. I've tried with 2 discs. I'll try a few more times, then I have to download at the slow speed from MS. The hashcodes were correct and I checked all the info against the info in the OP.

Cryptic Edge
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Godzilla07 posted:

My impatience hosed me up. I don't think I can get my :filez: version to boot into setup. I've tried with 2 discs. I'll try a few more times, then I have to download at the slow speed from MS. The hashcodes were correct and I checked all the info against the info in the OP.

Did you burn at the slowest speed your drive will allow?
Edit: I installed off a :filez: version with a legitimate key that I verified, and thats what I had to do to get it to install too, burn at as low of speed as the drive/software allows.

Wiggly
Aug 26, 2000

Number one on the ice, number one in my heart
Fun Shoe

AlexDeGruven posted:

Pulling down now. Getting a relatively solid 200KB/sec. Wish it would go faster, though.

Try this link, it was maxing out my 20Mb FIOS connection:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/subscriptions/securedownloads/dd692862.aspx

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Wiggly posted:

Try this link, it was maxing out my 20Mb FIOS connection:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/subscriptions/securedownloads/dd692862.aspx

Holy poo poo. Thanks! See Below:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

I think you're crazy for using a torrent version of this, who knows what people have put into it of viruses or trojans? The most popular filez are going to be the ones with most of this stuff.

Getting 1 MB/s from MSDN on my work PC, which is strange, since I only got 90 kB/s from my home PC :confused:.

I'm going to throw it on my Lenovo R500 laptop and play with it.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Pilsner posted:

I think you're crazy for using a torrent version of this, who knows what people have put into it of viruses or trojans? The most popular filez are going to be the ones with most of this stuff.

Getting 1 MB/s from MSDN on my work PC, which is strange, since I only got 90 kB/s from my home PC :confused:.

I'm going to throw it on my Lenovo R500 laptop and play with it.

Thats why you check the hash

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

c0burn posted:

Thats why you check the hash

This. It's statistically impossible to mess with the content of the ISO in such a way that you can introduce malware and end up with a matching hash. In fact, changing just one bit on the ISO will drastically change the hash result. If the hashes match, you're good to go.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug
If you are an MSDN subscriber John Galloway has the same instructions. You need to go to the MSDN top downloads

EDIT: Only like 700KB/s stupid slow work internet (of course it's the cap for my home cable but work > home, right?).

Bahama.Llama
Aug 17, 2006

Scary Money
:rant: God I really hate our office manager right now. She let the subscription for TechNet "fall through the cracks".

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Hey! Quit touching my junk!

AlexDeGruven posted:

This. It's statistically impossible to mess with the content of the ISO in such a way that you can introduce malware and end up with a matching hash. In fact, changing just one bit on the ISO will drastically change the hash result. If the hashes match, you're good to go.

Well to be fair, if it's theoretically possible to falisify an MD5 hash, then it should be doable for a SHA1 as well. Does anyone have a supercomputer I can use for a decade?

Profane Obituary!
May 19, 2009

This Motherfucker is Dead

PopeOnARope posted:

Well to be fair, if it's theoretically possible to falisify an MD5 hash, then it should be doable for a SHA1 as well. Does anyone have a supercomputer I can use for a decade?

The MD5 collisions don't necessarily mean that something with the same hash is going to be Win 7 + SUPER EXTREME RICER EDITION WITH TROJANZ.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

^ ^ ^ Yeah, it'd most likely result in garbage data. Way to waste people's time, you rebels! :patriot:

PopeOnARope posted:

Even if you can do one, I can't imagine how long it would take to collide with both at the same time. Hence multiple hashes and you use ExactFile or something.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Cryptic Edge posted:

Did you burn at the slowest speed your drive will allow?
Edit: I installed off a :filez: version with a legitimate key that I verified, and thats what I had to do to get it to install too, burn at as low of speed as the drive/software allows.

I burned at the slowest speed. After I made that last post, I tried again the second disc I made and it worked. I'm posting from W7 Ultimate x64 with a verified product key.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

When I booted the RTM disk, it took a long time for setup to actually load. It was sitting there looking like it was doing nothing for probably 5 minutes or so before the setup screens popped up.

I burned at 22X I think.

Saltin
Aug 20, 2003
Don't touch

gariig posted:

If you are an MSDN subscriber John Galloway has the same instructions. You need to go to the MSDN top downloads

EDIT: Only like 700KB/s stupid slow work internet (of course it's the cap for my home cable but work > home, right?).

Hot drat that rocks! Thanks for the info, I was getting sad looking at 20kpbs. Now I'll have it for after dinner : )

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Xenomorph posted:

is pirated software considered free/public to you?

"File Name: Microsoft Windows 7 RC Build 7201 (32-Bit)"

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

AlexDeGruven posted:

Yeah... This is still true. While you're not distributing anything that's not publicly available, you're still breaking the rules by distributing outside of the channels.

THOUGH: This is technically not Copyright infringement, so you could really inform Charter that they need to tell MS where to cram it if you were distributing something that was freely available.

TOS Violation: Sure
Copyright Infringment: Nope

Even if it was the RC or beta and not a leaked version, being able to freely download a file from Microsoft does not grant you permission to redistribute it, so it is copyright infringement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deltawing
Sep 20, 2007

feels good man

Not really anything about the RC or anything but still clears up a lot of questions.

deltawing fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Aug 7, 2009