Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP
I've been watching Sons of Anarchy It's like The Shield and the GTA:TLAD expansion had a love child and were listening to the Black Keys while loving. So it's pretty much awesome, and it has Ron loving Perlmann.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
I just started Stargate SG - 1 again. Next episode? Emancipation!

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

metachronos posted:

and it has Ron loving Perlmann.

Keep watching. Second season will have Henry loving Rollins.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Just started watching Kings which is awesome. But then I found out that it got canceled. :smith:

We should do two separate recommendation lists with series that managed to do a full, or at least proper, run, and those that didn't. :/

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

jazz babies posted:

Criminal Minds. Finished all 4 seasons.

Oh Dr. Reid... :swoon:

Reid is great. I like how he chimes in and nerds everyone out all the time.

Prentess is awesome too :xd:

Leviathan
Oct 8, 2001

I hear the jury's
still out.. on science.
Fun Shoe

metachronos posted:

I've been watching Sons of Anarchy It's like The Shield and the GTA:TLAD expansion had a love child and were listening to the Black Keys while loving. So it's pretty much awesome, and it has Ron loving Perlmann.

Disclaimer: This show is pretty blah for the first couple episodes and then gets awesome by the end of the season.

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP

Bonk posted:

Keep watching. Second season will have Henry loving Rollins.

Whaaaat? :aaa: awesome

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Been watching Roswell during work, I remembered it being decent.
Couple episodes into season 1 and I think it's alright, nothing wrong with a younger Katherine Heigl either.

Vivek
Jun 27, 2007

In a similar vein as my last question about Dexter season 3, is Weeds worth watching after Season 3? What I've read about it certain characters leaving, the setting changing doesn't sound good...

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Just finished both seasons of Chuck in about 5 days. I held off for awhile for some unknown reason. Both of us really liked it, I can't wait till season 3.

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

Vivek posted:

In a similar vein as my last question about Dexter season 3, is Weeds worth watching after Season 3? What I've read about it certain characters leaving, the setting changing doesn't sound good...

The whole show changes completely. It's pretty bad right now (Season 5), and it's more of a guilty pleasure than anything else.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They don't even do the theme song anymore (thank God)

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.
I haven't read TVIV much, so I don't know if there's a thread for this, but can anyone recommend "real-life" paranormal/strange stuff shows (Unsolved Mysteries, etc.) available on DVD?

I've been Netflixing A Haunting lately, which is typically entertaining--some of the episodes because of them being creepy (Hell House, Where Demons Dwell), and others because of poor special effects and bad acting (like the episode where a hot Asian woman plays a person that is in the interview segments a white, blond hambeast; or when they needed a "bed floats" effect and the director decided that CGIing a bed is the only way to do such a thing)--but I'm almost done the series. The only thing I've seen like it is History Channel's Haunted Histories, which seems boring, and the reality TV Ghost Adventures or whatever where a frat boy looking guy and his gay psychic friend roam around acting like douches.

Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

I just started The Wire and I'm about 4 episodes deep. gently caress yeah.

CMYK_iNK
Oct 18, 2003

Definitely Merlin lately. Soooo good, at least for anyone who likes the Arthurian legends.. although it's not accurate at all.

Anyone else follow this? If so, we should start our own thread!

the aftermath
Jul 20, 2002

Things Fall Apart
Just started working my way through 30 Rock and holy poo poo this show is good.

HeebHustler
Jan 16, 2007

halfway through season 1 of Carnivale

simply amazing at times, but i fear of what is to come when the show abruptly ends after season 2. quick, someone recommend me something to start watching when this ends.

i have seen all of these in their entirety the last couple of years: Oz, The Wire, 24, Six Feet Under, Rome, Freaks and Geeks, Seinfeld, S1 Sopranos, S1 Dexter, S1 Heroes, Arrested Development, Scrubs, and both versions of The Office.

it seems like watching all of the Sopranos would be the obvious choice, but given that list and being most fond of HBO shows, what would you pick?

HeebHustler fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Aug 7, 2009

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

HeebHustler posted:

simply amazing at times, but i fear of what is to come when the show abruptly ends after season 2. quick, someone recommend me something to start watching when this ends.

i have seen all of these in their entirety the last couple of years: Oz, The Wire, 24, Six Feet Under, Rome, Freaks and Geeks, Seinfeld, S1 Sopranos, S1 Dexter, S1 Heroes, Arrested Development, Scrubs, and both versions of The Office.

it seems like watching all of the Sopranos would be the obvious choice, but given that list and being most fond of HBO shows, what would you pick?

The Shield? Also If you liked Dexter imo season 2 is better.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

HeebHustler posted:

Have you given Battlestar Galactica a try? Ronald D. Moore was exec. producer on both that and Carnivale; no guarantee you'll like it because of that, but it's worth mentioning.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
I'm midway through Season 3 of Lost and I just started watching Arrested Development. Thoroughly enjoying both. I'm probably going to start watching the first two seasons of Psych soon. I watched the 3rd season and I loved it so much, but I never got around to seeing the first two. But soon, very soon...

HeebHustler
Jan 16, 2007

EX-GAIJIN AT LAST posted:

Have you given Battlestar Galactica a try? Ronald D. Moore was exec. producer on both that and Carnivale; no guarantee you'll like it because of that, but it's worth mentioning.

Alright, I'll give it a whirl. Been wanting a reason to start watching BSG anyway, and the Moore connection is good enough for me!

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

HeebHustler posted:

You could also try watching Lost, and catch up before the final season airs.

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum

CaptainHollywood posted:

Don't do that. You might as well wait until the whole series is done, now. The last thing you want to do is watch 100 episodes in a month, get stupidly hooked and then suffer every week like the rest of us.

JustV
Apr 23, 2008

Only Literally On Fire

HeebHustler posted:

After BSG you might want to consider watching some of the AMC shows (Mad Men, Breaking Bad, possibly The Prisoner come September). They've been putting out real quality material since they started producing their own shows.

EDIT: Someone needs to put together a TV IV masterlist of recommended shows. Where did the old "Top 50 Greatest Television Shows" thread go? Banished during the purge?

JustV fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Aug 7, 2009

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

JustV posted:

EDIT: Someone needs to put together a TV IV masterlist of recommended shows. Where did the old "Top 50 Greatest Television Shows" thread go? Banished during the purge?

Yeah it was.

Leviathan
Oct 8, 2001

I hear the jury's
still out.. on science.
Fun Shoe

CaptainHollywood posted:

DO NOT start watching Lost. If I could do it all over again I wouldn't have watched a goddamn thing until it was all said and done.

JustV posted:

I said the same thing a few pages back (on my page 33, dunno how many posts/pg you have), and there is a decent list on there now. Someone just needs to move it to the first post.

Leviathan fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Aug 7, 2009

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Of course, waiting until Lost is over means you run the risk of having the many major twists that provide much of the fun of the show inadvertently spoiled by friends or just by cultural osmosis before you get around to watching it, so consider that.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

Leviathan posted:

DO NOT start watching Lost. If I could do it all over again I wouldn't have watched a goddamn thing until it was all said and done.

Yeah it would be great to be able to burn through it all at once, but I have had such a good time sharing the ongoing experience with friends and family, I wouldn't have done it any different.

Leviathan
Oct 8, 2001

I hear the jury's
still out.. on science.
Fun Shoe

Ishamael posted:

Yeah it would be great to be able to burn through it all at once, but I have had such a good time sharing the ongoing experience with friends and family, I wouldn't have done it any different.

I think the frustration from last season's finale outweighs any fun I had drinking whenever Jack made a funny face.

HeebHustler
Jan 16, 2007

I've seen almost all of the Lost besides the last season, and I want this to be a warning to anyone who ever starts watching this show to expect the greatest and most frustrating series ever. That is why I did not list a show full of cliffhanger bullshit. Then again, I am almost done with S1 Carnivale, and I've heard horror stories about it.

-abe-
Oct 24, 2008

by The Finn
Mad Men.

My cable provider had the first season up on On Demand for free--and now they have the second season available. I've seen 12 of the 13 episodes within this week.

It's a somewhat frustrating (and at times boring) show but god drat, there's just something about it I find compelling.

UsefulIdiot
Feb 10, 2006
I'll add to the recommendations of AMC shows: both Mad Men and Breaking Bad are among the bed shows still airing.

I finished The Wire a few weeks ago. I'm another example of having difficulty early in the show - the first few episodes were a hard slog. On my second attempt (six months after the first), I got hooked. The rest of the series went too quickly. Fantastic show.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
First season of Sopranos felt like a dud. Does it pick up any pace later on?

tastychicken
Jul 17, 2007
Title text goes here

ufarn posted:

First season of Sopranos felt like a dud. Does it pick up any pace later on?

The pace in Sopranos is up and down all the time.

Jarl
Nov 8, 2007

So what if I'm not for the ever offended?
Just finished Serial Experiments Lain. I don't really know what to think. Cool, strange, thread-less, disappointing, artsy, jigsaw...
You definitely have to glue the pieces together yourself, since the show ain't gonna help you there beyond subtle hints seamlessly mixed in with the rest.

I don't feel my time is wasted, but at the same time I would never recommend it.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

bobkatt013 posted:

I just started Stargate SG - 1 again. Next episode? Emancipation!

Same. Finally got around to buying S9 and 10, I'm a few episodes into season 10 now. 200 was so goddamn awesome.

Also been giving Futurama a run through with the commentary on.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

tastychicken posted:

The pace in Sopranos is up and down all the time.

I was all over the place with watching parts of the show. First I saw a couple season 3 episodes, then all of season 5 and about half of season 6 when they aired. Last year I borrowed the DVDs for season 1 and watched all of that. I started into season 2 and stopped to watch other shows, and never really went back.

I realize it was an important show that paved the way for a lot of other great television, and I appreciate what it did for popular culture. But I came to the conclusion that I didn't really like the characters, and wouldn't have missed the show when it was over. Maybe someday I'll go back and watch the whole thing end to end, but for now I'm putting it way on the back burner. I have a lot more shows I'd like to watch before it.

Druck
Jul 25, 2002

"That's some kinda nice."
Almost done with season 2 of The Wire... why did I wait so long to get into this show?

Competition
Apr 3, 2006

by Fistgrrl

doctor thodt posted:

It totally abandons almost everything that made the first two season so great. It's poo poo. But like I've said before, I don't blame the show since it was mostly due to pressure from the new network to make it more accessible.

The main problem was that it got cancelled with some very open questions that should have been resolved at the proper end of the show

God drat huge spoilers: Aaron getting off, Veronica and Logan not being together, and it was obvious that they were setting up some long arc for the next series involving Jake Kane and that secret society. Possibly her mother coming back but I feel they could have left that as it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vivek
Jun 27, 2007

Competition posted:

The main problem was that it got cancelled with some very open questions that should have been resolved at the proper end of the show

God drat huge spoilers: Aaron getting off, Veronica and Logan not being together, and it was obvious that they were setting up some long arc for the next series involving Jake Kane and that secret society. Possibly her mother coming back but I feel they could have left that as it was.

What was left hanging about that first thing? (He's talking about Veronica Mars, in case it was unclear)