Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
...and today, I did leg two of my Volvo tune-up! All new spark plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor. All plugs properly gapped and torqued down. Noticeable difference.

yaaaaay

Next up, oil/oil filter and fuel filter change, and the whenever-I-have-a-feww-hour tune up is complete!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ohstone
Jul 5, 2007
My phone ate my liver!
I changed the oil in my Ranger today and then pulled the alternator off of my ZX2 to go to the rebuild shop. After that went and finally got my 302 together ready to drop in to the RX7. Now if only I could find a drat T-5 in good shape.

ExtremeODD
Jul 16, 2005
Just changed the oil in the 92 volvo 740, it had been 5-6k since the last one so it was long over due. I even dumped 2 quarts through with the plug out to get more of the old crap out, Im sure I just wasted 2 quarts but they had been kicking around in the hatch for a while now. So no loss there, now I just need to find a 960 rad since my car uses that one for some loving reason (would explain 2 places ordering 3 wrong rads). Goddamn car, confuses the hell out of me some times.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
On Saturday I installed an OEM spoiler on my wife's 2000 Honda Accord EX Coupe (4cyl manual). I also replaced the prototype full-range class-D amplifier that had a nasty electrical whine with a less exotic class-AB amplifier with no perceptible noise. I used my friend's vinyl plotter to trim out the center caps of her wheels with body color (red) vinyl with a reverse-cut Honda logo. I also soldered the broken battery terminal in her remote start alarm so that it works again. She had lost the battery door and the terminal was broken loose from rattling around in her purse.

Yesterday I changed the oil, vacuumed, washed and waxed her Accord, my 1992 Accord DX and my 1991 Mercury Tracer LTS. I ran out of time and only changed the oil and vacuumed my 1995 Lexus SC400.

I also sold the summer wheels and tires from my Lexus since they had to be used with a spacer because of my big brakes. I ordered a new set of tires and some Konig Again 5 wheels in 17x8 with 40mm offset, so they should clear the brakes without any spacers. For now the L-train rides (sits) on some ugly 1995 LS400 wheels with 16" Blizzaks.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Today I replaced the four backlights in my E36 OBC. The outer two were burnt out. I have a clock again!

-A n i m 8-
Feb 5, 2009
Did a resonator delete on my '03 C32 AMG. Now I can actually hear the AMG goodness.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Finished install the top on the miata yesterday, will begin on doing the clutch this week and hopefully wrap it up by Saturday.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco
Installed the relay and switch stock for the OEM foglight kit. Pulling the top trim piece off the steering column was a pain in the rear.

Digital Casing
Oct 17, 2008

by Lowtax
I replaced the sway bar links in my focus today. It no longer clunks when I go over bumps and is way less embarrassing to drive now.

Rap Songs From Anime
Aug 15, 2007

Installed a cold start valve block off kit. Now the fuel system is feeding gas into the engine where it belongs, instead of on top of the engine. I'm really, really glad the Firebird didn't try to live up to its name before I noticed the leak.

The list of poo poo I have to get done before I head back to Portland:
-Replace steering box
-Replace air pump
-Install the second temp switch I didn't realize existed until after I got the engine back in the car
-Swap out the half shredded v belt with a new one
-Craftily conceal the cold start valve connector that now goes nowhere
-Get it to pass IM so I can drive it past November (the air pump and temp sensor should do it, it'd probably pass now if not for the visual inspection)

Rap Songs From Anime fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Aug 4, 2009

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Installed my new blower final stage unit. Took maybe 15 minutes.

old on left, new on right.

My blower works now! All 8-10ish speeds!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

ordered scrub bars and steel steps for my lux!:D

hippynerd
Nov 5, 2004

by Ozma
I've been painting for a week now, getting a little tired of painting :(

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Removed the ABS module from the wife's Volvo and sent it in to get repaired. Good thing I bought that E-5 torx socket!

I've been busy lately!

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

I put new wheels on my Lexus. The old ones didn't fit my big brakes without spacers, and the spacers caused vibration at interstate speeds.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Somehow a rock ended up wedged between my OEM wheel and the hubcaps, so I had to take a hubcap off to get rid of the thumping-plastic-water-bottle sound whenever I drove anywhere.

Looking at changing the plugs and wires now to take care of a bizarre flat spot in the 2000-2500 rpm range that makes the car shudder on deceleration and stumble on acceleration.

wintermuteCF
Dec 9, 2006

LIEK HAI2U!
Took my driver's side visor assembly off, because it broke.
Fixed the fan speed HVAC knob with some clear tape, too.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

PBCrunch, did you raise the car when installing the Koenigs? I remember it being substantially lower... I think it looks a tad goofy at the present height, to be honest... looked better dropped on stockies.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
Took the plastic chrome plated "Chrysler" badging off my 300m, the chrome was peeling and looked like poo poo. Took the opportunity to take the dealer sticker off as well.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

The car wasn't sitting on completely flat ground in that picture. The passenger right wheel is on a slope and is down a little bit relative to the other wheels.

The suspension has been brought up a little bit since the last time I took pictures of the car. It scraped too much and the ride was just a little too jarring at nearly-full droop.

Despite being the same nominal size I think the new tires (Hankook Ventus V12 evo) have a little more sidewall.

I liked the wheels I had before but they just didn't fit over the big brakes. These fit with just a little bit of clearance and allow the car to ride smooth on the interstate. I didn't want a larger wheel since I can already tell a difference in the ride between the ugly sixteen inch winter wheels and the seventeen inch summer wheels.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
I changed the camshaft cover gasket after the old one decided to start pissing oil down the front of the engine and gearbox casing. Probably the easiest thing I've done to my car yet, primarily because all the bolts weren't rusted to poo poo. Took it for a long drive and there's no sign of any more oil leaking. :)

markdown
Jan 14, 2008
2 baristas, one drink.
I got a speedtuning stage-2 17psi tune for my volvo. It scares my dad now.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

jammyozzy posted:

I changed the camshaft cover gasket after the old one decided to start pissing oil down the front of the engine and gearbox casing. Probably the easiest thing I've done to my car yet, primarily because all the bolts weren't rusted to poo poo. Took it for a long drive and there's no sign of any more oil leaking. :)

Oil leaks keep things from rusting.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Replacing my copper/brass radiator for an alloy one, the seven blade fan for a 10 blade, new lower temp opening thermostat and some new coolant :)

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

Put new rear coil springs on my LTD. I've never done this before and I was surprised how easy it was. This took 10 minutes.

Also cleaned the dead hookers out of my trunk.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Installed the airflow straightener for the MAF in my MS3's Mazdaspeed Cold Air Intake...mine is an old one made before they realized they needed the straightener.

Also clocked the intake a bit better to keep PCV tubes from pointing up too far and making the engine cover rub one of the rubber pads on the hood.

hippynerd
Nov 5, 2004

by Ozma
yet more painting. I did a bunch of cleaning (parts previously 1/2 painted) and have a bunch more painting to do. Thankfully today is nice and hot, so I can definetly get another coat in today :D

ExtremeODD
Jul 16, 2005
Well I found out that my jb waterweld radiator fix wasnt going to hold long, I had got done driving for drat near an hour and checked the hose. I was leaning close, touched it and it exploded boiling coolant straight into my face. Now the whole left side of my face is pink and hurts like hell. However Ill make my room mate drive me in his bronco he bought today, its a glorious 11mpg hunk of brown.

ExtremeODD
Jul 16, 2005
doublepost

Rap Songs From Anime
Aug 15, 2007

Replaced the power steering gearbox. Surprisingly it wasn't a horrendous pain in the rear end. Didn't result in as much improvement as I was hoping though :(

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

With a little help from a goon I got the transmission off the Miata today. The pilot bearing was making a nasty sound so it's getting replaced and a new clutch installed. The car only has 86k and the clutch I pulled off still looked almost new. All this for a $10 bearing...Also broke an exhaust stud off and rounded the other one, so the exhaust is dangling. Still need to get that nut off and then remove the studs for some bolts and nuts instead. I hate drilling out broken bolts. :suicide:

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Waxed my girlfriend's new-to-her '99 Grand Am SE. This thing has so many loving problems it's unbelievable. The build quality is also considerably worse than my '97 Grand Cherokee...that's really saying something. Free is a good price though.

poopcutter
Oct 4, 2003

by Ozma
On Friday I picked up my 6MT 2002 Z28 from the shop.

The entire stock exhaust was swapped out for Kooks LT headers, a Kooks catted Y-pipe, and a Magnaflow exhaust. A ported throttle body was also installed and the whole mess was dyno tuned.

So far the car's other mods are a custom 9'' with ABS from Midwest Chasis & Performance, UMI LCAs/SFCs/panhard bar, a lid, and a 5.0 shifter with a LSS.

Next stop will be the suspension. I am going to start with Koni 4/4s I think after I save up the cash and then get some Strano lowering springs. Then I will get some sway bars, most likely UMI. After that I am not too sure.

I don't do appearance mods but I am thinking of getting some black torque thrust 2s with some wider rubber to replace the stock wheels. Then I will begin to seriously look at forced induction and/or head and cams. I am leaning towards keeping it NA and I don't want to screw with nitrous (I want all power constantly available without having to remember to refill bottles) but who knows.

So far she has 347 footpounds and 326 RWHP. I can really feel the difference from before the work was done and she is much louder too. Not too loud though.

I can't wait until I move out of NOVA so I can get a place with a garage. It will be nice to begin learning how to do the work myself.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?
Picked up a new heavy duty brushguard from a local fire department and new upper control arms which are modified to accept 2 grease fittings per bushing.

Just need to get new bushings installed and repaint the control arms [they're orange now :haw: ]

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

I know it's not my DD but I do "ride" in it! :smugdog:

Gave the boat a good washing. It needed it. Scrubbed everything. It had been sitting at my sister's place for the last year.

Carpenter ants decided that the top storage was a good place to nest. They were all dead but it reeked. :barf:

The cover smelled like goats (because my sister has goats) and was filthy :barf:

2 years worth of dirt. :barf:

I fixed the cover support poles (the plastic tops had broken) with plumbing fixtures. gently caress you SeaDoo and your $80 replacement poles.

She's all cleaned up now and only slightly smells like goats!

Doctor Zero fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Aug 10, 2009

zamin
Jan 9, 2004
Went through 4 Mr. Clean Magic Erasers and a lot of Woolite scrubbing down every piece of vinyl and plastic in the interior. Went back over everything with the Meguire's stuff (forget what it's called, but it's amazing). Then I went down to the car wash, took out my seats, scrubbed every inch of upholstery with a carpet brush and vacuumed. Went over it a few more times with Resolve heavy duty carpet cleaner, Woolite w/ Oxy Clean and aforementioned carpet brush and vacuumed a few more times. Went back over some spots of plastic/vinyl that I couldn't get to easily with the seats in with the Meguire's.

It's not spotless, but it looks 100x better, and I think I lost 5 pounds sweating it out under the Texas sun.

vvvvv: I didn't even think to take any before pictures. I also still have a lot of work to do on my seats, but I got to the point where I was about to pass out from the heat. Also, it's an 88 Honda Accord that doesn't look like it's ever been vacuumed out other than a passing vacuuming here and there, so after a certain point, there's only so much you can do without replacing all the upholstery.

zamin fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Aug 11, 2009

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

zamin posted:

Went through 4 Mr. Clean Magic Erasers and a lot of Woolite scrubbing down every piece of vinyl and plastic in the interior. Went back over everything with the Meguire's stuff (forget what it's called, but it's amazing). Then I went down to the car wash, took out my seats, scrubbed every inch of upholstery with a carpet brush and vacuumed. Went over it a few more times with Resolve heavy duty carpet cleaner, Woolite w/ Oxy Clean and aforementioned carpet brush and vacuumed a few more times. Went back over some spots of plastic/vinyl that I couldn't get to easily with the seats in with the Meguire's.

It's not spotless, but it looks 100x better, and I think I lost 5 pounds sweating it out under the Texas sun.

Where are the before and after pictures?

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
Removed "Grand Prix" decal on the trunk.
Replaced "PONTIAC" inlay trim with new reflective red one.
New GTP badges/decals.

Next up to be installed: 3" Downpipe, cut out resonator, install Thrush glasspack, install TDC fenderwall intake, colder thermostat.

Later on: Overkill PCM, Autolite 104 plugs, smaller S/C pulley, ported exhaust manifold, a tune(if I can find someone to do it :()

Timage
Feb 6, 2006
AI,

I installed a pod filter on my Stagea last Sunday to see what would happen. Not only did the turbo whine increase, my formerly silent bypass-valve now frightens old people when it opens. Thing is, I'm not sure if I like it or not. My inner teenage boy loves it, but my conservative sensible dude feels dirty.

What would you do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenant
Apr 6, 2006
Just got done lining up and bolting down the motor/tranny mounts in my S4. Of course, this is after struggling with getting in the passenger side front axle for about two days.

I also attached the driveshaft to the tranny, cleaned up my garage, began to lay out my game plan for all the sensors and wires that need to be routed again, then began attach the front axles but I'm going to wait till tomorrow so I can get some loctite on them.

I just want to drive my car again. Two weeks is too long to be deprived of my S4. :(