Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Calculon
Mar 19, 2006

WAKE UP AMERICA
I've had Windows 7 RTM installed for about a week and it had been running fine but about two days ago I noticed when waking from sleep it was taking 30 seconds to renegotiate the network connection. I figured it was just something that would be fixed with a restart and thought nothing of it. Today as I was copying a file over a network share I noticed it was only copying at 1.25 Megabytes per second - that's when I opened up the LAN status window and noticed the network connection is only running at 10 mbps. I know it's only this computer doing it because the HTPC connected to the same switch is running at full speed.

This motherboard has a Realtek Gigabit connection on it and I've had no problems with it for the last 1.5 years or in Windows Vista previously. I've tried about 5 different drivers including the Windows default and a Windows Vista variant with no luck. Has anyone seen this before?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Ryokurin posted:

It can. It's just that the matrix Microsoft made really is confusing. Ed Bott made one that you can read in 10 seconds and don't even have to scroll the page to read.

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=1246

He adds a messy work around that costs more and calls it a better solution? Ha.

He also willfully disregarded changing architecture, by saying no one would be going from 64bit to 32bit, so it's useless to even discuss, despite a lot of people finally taking the 64bit switch now.

The chart's good to glance at, but it isn't exactly better than the other one (which is really clear if you've ever seen a chart before).

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.
Sorry to throw out the thread-too-long excuse, but after running searches on "disconnect" for the first and last 20 pages, I can't find any discussion - barr the first page - about this random network disconnect thing.

I've disabled the power down option in their propeties but it's still occurring now and then, is anyone getting this and is there an explanation/fix?

Outer Science
Dec 21, 2008

Daisangen

kcer posted:

Sorry to throw out the thread-too-long excuse, but after running searches on "disconnect" for the first and last 20 pages, I can't find any discussion - barr the first page - about this random network disconnect thing.

I've disabled the power down option in their propeties but it's still occurring now and then, is anyone getting this and is there an explanation/fix?

On the new computer I just built, I would randomly drop connection occasionally. I fixed this by rolling back the onboard network card's driver to the version that came with the motherboard, instead of the version that you get from Windows Update. That may be worth trying if you haven't done so.

PlasticSpoon
Apr 2, 2004
Are these new ones like the W7 Ultimate Retail, going to still diable itself next June, like the earlier builds? I searched a few pages and couldn't find mention, sorry if its already been discussed.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

I, too, have a problem with my network connection on W7 RTM, although a bit different from the ones posted so far.
My router is a Linksys AG241V2, and while it syncs with the max my line can support, the W7 PC gradually loses speed the longer it is on and in use. For example, it starts out at 1.2mb/sec down, and after a day or two it's down to 750kb/sec. The only way to fix it is to reset the router.
This hasn't happened on Vista or XP, so I'm somewhat blaming W7 for it. NIC is the onboard thingie of a P5N-e SLI (Nforce 650i).

edit: as for the random connection drops you guys are getting, try disabling 'Receive side scaling'

Open a command prompt
netsh interface tcp show global
If Receive-Side Scaling State : enabled
netsh interface tcp set global rss=disabled

That should fix it.

giZm fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Aug 8, 2009

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

PlasticSpoon posted:

Are these new ones like the W7 Ultimate Retail, going to still diable itself next June, like the earlier builds? I searched a few pages and couldn't find mention, sorry if its already been discussed.

Uh, no, they're actual retail copies. As in, you have 30 days to put in a retail key before it goes into low function mode, and then a bit after that before it just stops working.

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Hey! Quit touching my junk!

Casao posted:

Uh, no, they're actual retail copies. As in, you have 30 days to put in a retail key before it goes into low function mode, and then a bit after that before it just stops working.

Unless you want to re-arm it three times, or do an OEM style activation.

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

'Cus we find ourselves in the same old mess
Singin' drunken lullabies
Just upgraded to RTM from Vista and everything went flawlessly. Only issue I came across was typing in the key wrong the first time. I only played around with the beta/RC a bit to check things out, so this is my first time using it as my main OS. But from what I've seen I'm really happy with all the minor changes from Vista.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Anyone know when the Family Pack is going to be available?

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Anyone know when the Family Pack is going to be available?

I'd imagine october 23 or whenever the public release is. I reckon I'll just grab this for my family since I'll want one, mum will want one for her laptop, and my sister will want one for her laptop.

Then I can figure out how to get my sister's desktop up to 7 from XP, as well. I think that'll have to be a separate copy :(

dorkanoid
Dec 21, 2004

kcer posted:

If I update to the Realtek driver from Windows Update, I get random disconnects every few seconds - if you look at the details for the driver, it's from 2006 or something like that. Roll it back, as mentioned, and it'll be back to it's awesome self again :D

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures
I've completed the vista upgrade as well. Some minor problems with app compatibility that the installer and the upgrade advisor did not catch. Also, my games section has a whole mess of garbage icons in it, as you can see in the image below. All in all it went smoothly though, and I'm laughing at how my idle RAM usage appears to have dropped by 25% or so.

Click here for the full 1480x410 image.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
Anyone know when we'll be able to buy a computer that comes with Windows 7 installed? I know most places have the free upgrade right now, but since my mother is possibly looking for a new computer I'd rather she not have to go through it.

Also, slightly off topic, what is the best company to buy a prebuilt from?
No :smug: responses of Apple, please.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

The Merkinman posted:

Anyone know when we'll be able to buy a computer that comes with Windows 7 installed? I know most places have the free upgrade right now, but since my mother is possibly looking for a new computer I'd rather she not have to go through it.

10/23?
Dell. (gently caress apple)

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Hey, sorry if this has been asked in the thread already, but will Windows 7 contain any software similar to OS X's Spaces, Expose, or Dashboard?

The reason I ask is because I'm a long time PC user, and MY GIRLFRIEND just got a MacBook and by drat, those three applications are just about the coolest OS features I've ever seen. However, I'd still like to stay with Windows for a while, so I'm wondering if there will be anything comperable in the latest iteration of Windows.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Aug 8, 2009

Polluxx Troy
Mar 12, 2005

...authorities here are on alert...
I've got a really weird problem. I just installed RTM and now 90% of my applications won't run unless I run them as Administrator. Three things that suck about this:

1) I get that ridiculous UAC prompt every time I do this and I'd rather not risk turning off UAC completely
2) My account is already set as an Administrator, god damnit
3) The programs actually load (i can see them in Task Manager) but I can't do anything with them.

Please help!

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat

Polluxx Troy posted:

I've got a really weird problem. I just installed RTM and now 90% of my applications won't run unless I run them as Administrator. Three things that suck about this:

1) I get that ridiculous UAC prompt every time I do this and I'd rather not risk turning off UAC completely
3) The programs actually load (i can see them in Task Manager) but I can't do anything with them.

Please help!

Hmm that is strange. Did you do an upgrade install or fresh install?

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

GreatGreen posted:

Hey, sorry if this has been asked in the thread already, but will Windows 7 contain any software similar to OS X's Spaces, Expose, or Dashboard?

The reason I ask is because I'm a long time PC user, and MY GIRLFRIEND just got a MacBook and by drat, those three applications are just about the coolest OS features I've ever seen. However, I'd still like to stay with Windows for a while, so I'm wondering if there will be anything comperable in the latest iteration of Windows.

The taskbar preview/peek thing provides rougly the same functionality as expose. I don't know what the other two are though as I'm not a Mac user.

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat

Lum posted:

The taskbar preview/peek thing provides rougly the same functionality as expose. I don't know what the other two are though as I'm not a Mac user.

And Dashboard is just gadgets which are included in Win7.

dumby
Oct 25, 2007
I'm dealing with some internet connection problems, and think it has something to do with my current profile being set to Public, and not Home or Work under Network Sharing Center > Advanced sharing settings. Not looking for tech support, but I can't for the life of me find where to switch the current profile to Home or Work. Has anyone done this?

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

The Merkinman posted:

I believe 10/23 is when you'll be able to buy a desktop or laptop with W7 preloaded on it already.

If you want a prebuilt desktop, try HP or Dell's budget-box systems. My grandfather had the same WinME desktop by HP for 7 years so it has to be built well. My dad has a Dell that's running along fine. As for laptops, Lenovo, HP or Dell. I am heavily biased towards ThinkPads because of their awesome build quality. Dell and HP also have good laptops from what I've heard.

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures

dumby posted:

I'm dealing with some internet connection problems, and think it has something to do with my current profile being set to Public, and not Home or Work under Network Sharing Center > Advanced sharing settings. Not looking for tech support, but I can't for the life of me find where to switch the current profile to Home or Work. Has anyone done this?

Open the network and sharing center, under view your active networks there will be a link that says public network. Click that link and you will be prompted with the "Select a location" dialogue.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

ilkhan posted:

10/23?
Dell. (gently caress apple)

Godzilla07 posted:

I believe 10/23 is when you'll be able to buy a desktop or laptop with W7 preloaded on it already.

If you want a prebuilt desktop, try HP or Dell's budget-box systems. My grandfather had the same WinME desktop by HP for 7 years so it has to be built well. My dad has a Dell that's running along fine. As for laptops, Lenovo, HP or Dell. I am heavily biased towards ThinkPads because of their awesome build quality. Dell and HP also have good laptops from what I've heard.

I see. I knew 10/23 was when it was available to buy, but I figured since it already went RTM you could get a computer with it sooner.

Interesting to hear two for Dell, as I thought they had crappy build quality.

I ask because the existing ~5 year old Gateway is making clicking noises. Dunno if we should get a new HDD or just an entire new computer.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Lum posted:

Shadowgate posted:

And Dashboard is just gadgets which are included in Win7.

Thanks guys. The other program I was asking about was Spaces, which is actually awesome. It's basically a program that creates multiple desktops you can switch between while working. It pretty much effectively eliminates the need to minimize and maximize applications as you multi-task.

Here's a video of Spaces in action

Hopefully Windows 7 will have something like it.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

GreatGreen posted:

Thanks guys. The other program I was asking about was Spaces, which is actually awesome. It's basically a program that creates multiple desktops you can switch between while working. It pretty much effectively eliminates the need to minimize and maximize applications as you multi-task.

Here's a video of Spaces in action

Hopefully Windows 7 will have something like it.

Windows 7 doesn't have workspaces Spaces, Linux of course has had them for years. Regardless though, I know there were some 3rd party applications that were written for XP, so hopefully there will be ones rewritten for 7.

I never saw the use of spaces, but that's me.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Polluxx Troy posted:

Please help!

Assuming you did an upgrade install or a custom install without formatting, it's probably permission on Program Files. Take ownership of the directory and see if it helps.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

The Merkinman posted:

Windows 7 doesn't have workspaces Spaces, Linux of course has had them for years. Regardless though, I know there were some 3rd party applications that were written for XP, so hopefully there will be ones rewritten for 7.

On XP there was a MS PowerToy that did that. Unix has had it since the 80s or something.

Not seen one for 7 yet, because I haven't looked for one. I'm sure one will turn up though, just search for "virtual desktop" or something to that effect.

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.

Relambrien posted:

On the new computer I just built, I would randomly drop connection occasionally. I fixed this by rolling back the onboard network card's driver to the version that came with the motherboard, instead of the version that you get from Windows Update. That may be worth trying if you haven't done so.

Seems to be working, haven't disconnected all day.

Cheers.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

The Merkinman posted:

I see. I knew 10/23 was when it was available to buy, but I figured since it already went RTM you could get a computer with it sooner.

Interesting to hear two for Dell, as I thought they had crappy build quality.

I ask because the existing ~5 year old Gateway is making clicking noises. Dunno if we should get a new HDD or just an entire new computer.

I'm used to the business Dell machines so that's why I haven't seen to many build quality issues with them. I have a few friends with Inspirons that aren't doing too bad nowadays and their laptops are at least 2-3 years old.

LonelyKing
Feb 2, 2003

Fun Shoe

The Merkinman posted:

I used to use virtual desktops all the time with XP, but with the new taskbar in W7, I find it's far less important because you can have a huge amount of things in the taskbar without it really being 'cluttered'.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

Godzilla07 posted:

I wouldn't really go with HP. I dunno if they've changed much in the past 5 years but they're a bitch to customize if that's your thing. Their cases had all these special compartments and the hardware was made so pretty much your only option was to upgrade through them, costing you a heftier premium.

Mensur
Aug 1, 2007

EnGAYge!

Mensur fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jun 14, 2013

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Finally put Win7 on my desktop machine. It's definitely a little odd at first, but it's good to be getting some of the cool poo poo I've been enjoying on my laptop onto my desktop.

Mensur posted:

Xeno, will you have xdn tweaker for 7600 soon?

I just ran it on 7600 with no complaints. Haven't rebooted to test the bits of functionality I actually adjust though, so I guess if they changed a location in 7600 or something?

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
I don't know if this is a solved problem, or if there's another well known way to do this in RTM I don't know about, but the Desktop Peek delay (the button in the taskbar you hover to see your desktop/gadgets) was annoying me so I made a utility to make it work instantly when you hover.

http://bitbucket.org/factormystic/desktop-peek-tweak/wiki/Home

soupy
Feb 20, 2007
I'm sure this has been addressed multiple times, but I'm having issues with viewing PDFs in browser. Also, how can I open every program as Administrator without setting each single program as it. Any way I can address this? Otherwise loving Windows 7!

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

soupy posted:

Also, how can I open every program as Administrator without setting each single program as it. Any way I can address this?

You're doing it wrong.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Mensur posted:

Xeno, will you have xdn tweaker for 7600 soon?

Yeah, I've had 0.9.1.8 up for a few days, I just forgot to update the text on the links.

7600 is supported.

Factor Mystic posted:

I don't know if this is a solved problem, or if there's another well known way to do this in RTM I don't know about, but the Desktop Peek delay (the button in the taskbar you hover to see your desktop/gadgets) was annoying me so I made a utility to make it work instantly when you hover.

http://bitbucket.org/factormystic/desktop-peek-tweak/wiki/Home

I added the Aero Peek changer thing to XdN Tweaker in April.

(Win 7 Interface II -> Mouse Hover Delay)

It doesn't have a slider, but it has a few settings between 0ms and 5,000ms.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Welp, installed RTM on both desktop and laptop today. I'm shocked at two things: number one, it installed in less than half an hour on both, and number two, it's the first new version of Windows I've ever used where I didn't run up against a bunch of obnoxious quirks on day one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soupy
Feb 20, 2007

Casao posted:

You're doing it wrong.

Well.. How can I do it correctly?

Also: The reader seems to work half the time on in browser PDFs, but then the other time a blank error message pops up and nothing loads.

soupy fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Aug 9, 2009