Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

It'll never see production, especially not in the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Got a question for the miata experts. I'm hearing a pretty nasty bearing rubbing/grinding sound from my car. It only happens when putting in the clutch intermittently. Almost every time I put it into gear though the noise starts, and doesn't go away even if taken out of gear. It only goes away when letting the clutch back out. I don't hear any transmission noises while driving either. Just at idle if I'm putting in the clutch and until I start moving. I was told on the miata forums that it was the TOB or pilot bearing and not the input shaft bearing because it doesn't spin unless you're moving. What do you guys think? I've got the clutch and pilot bearing to do the job, but don't want to slap the trans. back on if I'm still going to have the problem. The car in question only has 86k miles on it.

Slothophile
Jun 23, 2004

Slothophile same as Santa Claus but one small difference: he stop at nothing to kill you.

Come on you fuckers put a turbo renesis in it and sell one to me.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

DreamOn13 posted:

Got a question for the miata experts. I'm hearing a pretty nasty bearing rubbing/grinding sound from my car. It only happens when putting in the clutch intermittently. Almost every time I put it into gear though the noise starts, and doesn't go away even if taken out of gear. It only goes away when letting the clutch back out. I don't hear any transmission noises while driving either. Just at idle if I'm putting in the clutch and until I start moving. I was told on the miata forums that it was the TOB or pilot bearing and not the input shaft bearing because it doesn't spin unless you're moving. What do you guys think? I've got the clutch and pilot bearing to do the job, but don't want to slap the trans. back on if I'm still going to have the problem. The car in question only has 86k miles on it.

From what you've said, it sounds like the problem with mine which turned out to be the pilot bearing.

Konrad
Jul 17, 2002

Every stop I get to I'm clocking that game
I'm looking at buying a '97 off Craigslist as a parts car. It has rotted quarter panels, 200K miles, and is partway through a timing belt job, so it doesn't run.

The owner wants $1000. I want to offer $500 in cash on the spot if I like the car. Is this unreasonably low?

Also, just started in on repairing the rusted quarter panels on my '90. I'm thinking I'm going to bite the bullet and have the whole thing repainted.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I'd say 500 is fair. (sold my wrecked 96 for 500 w/o a top and wheels)

Konrad
Jul 17, 2002

Every stop I get to I'm clocking that game
Cool. I'm not that hopeful, as the lady seems to think it's made of gold. Her asking price of $1000 has already been "slashed", but I can afford to walk away.

Any tips for parting it out? My local craiglist and Miata.net classifieds seem to have a limited interest in random OEM parts.

Bonus image content:

Now if I could just figure out where the rust came from...

GoblinBomb
Sep 19, 2004
Shit happens when you party naked.
Well, insurance paid out more than I originally purchased my NA for, so now I'm going to be looking at some lightly-used NBs or possibly a new (or lightly used) NC. There don't seem to be many NAs in good shape available right now, maybe there will be soon, I need a car pretty badly now. I miss my baby :(

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

What happened and where? Sucks about the Miata :(

GoblinBomb
Sep 19, 2004
I-10 WB, hit by a truck.

edit: right before the deck park tunnel

GoblinBomb fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Aug 8, 2009

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

gently caress, how the hell does someone run into you there?

Best of luck finding a good one, at least you're not hurt and you can get another Miata pretty easily.

iscariot
Oct 7, 2001

Well there's your problem.

This is what happens when you run rich, with water injection that runs out, and start getting knock anyway.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
That's the exhaust cylinder, right?

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

iscariot posted:

Well there's your problem.

This is what happens when you run rich, with water injection that runs out, and start getting knock anyway.

You don't have any warning system for the water injection? No boost cut or anything?

iscariot
Oct 7, 2001
Chalk it up to inexperience and overexhuberence... and street tuning. No safeties on the water injection.

This was my 96 with megasquirt pushing fuel and thats all. On a JSRC m45. With No intercooler. Pushing 9psi with big boost pulley. Did I mention it died at 192k miles? IIRC, I S/C'd it at 150k.

Amazingly, the cylinders don't have a ridge, pistons look 100% okay.

Shortblock is at the machine shop, ready to be picked up. Trying to hunt down a 99 head for it - then project time.

I'm actually a little disappointed - no massive amount of destruction to show off..

iscariot fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Aug 9, 2009

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
My GTX had cylinder honing marks and no ridge and 189K miles at 200% stock boost, so I'm not too surprised. Durability of the B6 and BP engines, I guess. Good combo of block and ring materials.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/cto/1322187439.html

Please don't be a scam or robbery attempt, I have left messages and emailed.

Purple Haze PS3
Jul 21, 2007

Elephanthead posted:

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/cto/1322187439.html

Please don't be a scam or robbery attempt, I have left messages and emailed.

Why does this never happen where I live? :cry:

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

I'm reposting this question from earlier. My 2006 has sinusoidal vibrations I can feel through the wheel when I'm traveling between 63 and 70 MPH. This was caused by an accident two years ago where I lost control on a slick entrance ramp and went over the curb. I've had all four wheels replaced since then, and have had an alignment done. What are likely causes of this type of accident-induced vibration? Let me know if you've had similar experiences.

GoblinBomb
Sep 19, 2004
Found an '08 touring softtop with suspension package, Galaxy Gray, drove it today, it's in pretty perfect shape and I can probably get a pretty great deal on it. My girlfriend thinks I should get an MS3 so I can carry more stuff when I work, and I can't say she's totally wrong. But the top doesn't go down on the MS3 and also FWD and fffffffff.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

DreamOn13 posted:

Since I hate it when people have problems and never post what the solution is, I'm reporting back. The pilot bearing was seized, and the TOB was fine. The clutch still looked nearly new after 86k, so I guess I've got a backup when the new one I just put in goes bad in 150k miles. :v:

Phatty Slayer
Jul 30, 2007

Living the dream
Got a hardtop for my 96 for $750. I feel this was a fair price. Now if only I could ever be home to work on the thing, ugggh.

I picked my Miata about a year and a half ago. I will say two things about its condition:

1. It was clipped (while stationary) by a tractor-trailer.
2. Previous owner was a musician.

I don't know which was more detrimental to the car's condition, but it was a bit of a wreck. Getting it home was a neat adventure in hot wiring and tampering with a very ineffective car alarm (radio was stolen).

Long story short, it drives and that's about as far as I got before I took a vacation to Iraq. Still not home, had to come to an Army school after deployment (loving life).

I am torn on what to do to the car. Research indicates a lot of things can be done, but it is tired and needs love. What should I do?

-A V-8 swap is cool and gets mad street cred, but its really, ummm not in the spirit of the car? IDK.

-Looked into the BPT, not really too much info on this swap. Seems some differences due to right handedness, but otherwise straight bolt in? Another IDK.

-Those built motors at Flyin Miata sure are pretty.

-Seen a few other V-6 jobs, 3800, Millinia motor.

One thing I dont want to do is stuff expensive parts on the car to have another component fail.

Phatty Slayer fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Aug 17, 2009

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I'd drive it.

Obviously just a speculative rendering, but word is the 2012 MX-5 is supposed to be smaller and lighter than the NC. I really wish they'd beef up the power just a touch on top of a bit of weight reduction, too. By 2012 I could very likely be in a position to upgrade from my NA, but unless the NC either gets a whole lot lighter or some more oomph under the hood (or both) I'll probably go in the S2000 direction...

Slothophile
Jun 23, 2004

Slothophile same as Santa Claus but one small difference: he stop at nothing to kill you.

Guinness posted:

I'd drive it.

Obviously just a speculative rendering, but word is the 2012 MX-5 is supposed to be smaller and lighter than the NC. I really wish they'd beef up the power just a touch on top of a bit of weight reduction, too. By 2012 I could very likely be in a position to upgrade from my NA, but unless the NC either gets a whole lot lighter or some more oomph under the hood (or both) I'll probably go in the S2000 direction...

?

If only it wasn't so terrible.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

Phatty Slayer posted:

I am torn on what to do to the car. Research indicates a lot of things can be done, but it is tired and needs love. What should I do?

-A V-8 swap is cool and gets mad street cred, but its really, ummm not in the spirit of the car? IDK.

-Looked into the BPT, not really too much info on this swap. Seems some differences due to right handedness, but otherwise straight bolt in? Another IDK.

-Those built motors at Flyin Miata sure are pretty.

-Seen a few other V-6 jobs, 3800, Millinia motor.

One thing I don't want to do is stuff expensive parts on the car to have another component fail.

The V-8 swaps are pretty cool, but by my estimation is kills the whole point of a Miata. A Miata isn't a "fast" car. The whole point of them is driving experience. Sure they can be made fast and lots of people do it, but that's not the point. If you want a really fast like drag racing type car there are better choices.

Those built flying Miata engines are pretty! I wish I had 9 grand to throw at a new engine, but it starts falling into losing the essence territory.

I guess it falls under the 3 ways to go faster. You can have more power- for more acceleration off the line and out of turns. You can improve the handling to carry more speeed through the turns and increase your average speed, or you can take driving classes and get pretty much the same results as option 2. I tend to lean towards the latter but to each his own.

It boils down to- it's your car. If the idea of throwing a 400 HP LS2 in it really tickles your fancy then I say go for it. If you want to achieve the same results only using a smaller replacement like a V6 or even just go crazy on the stock motor- have at it. You could conceivable turn your Miata into a drag king that pulls 11 second quarters and still handles like a poor man's Lotus (well, not quite, but same ball park... mostly) that's your prerogative. Whatever you do, do it cause it's what you want to do- don't do something because you think it'll make your ride more inline with what other people think you should be driving.

The worse reason you could have to want to make your car "moar fasta" is because other people tell you it's too slow. Live the dream, dude.

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

So it sounds like the best way to make a Miata fast is to sell it and buy a Solstice GXP.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Lyesh posted:

So it sounds like the best way to make a Miata fast is to sell it and buy a Solstice GXP.

What kinda fast are you talking about?

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Lyesh posted:

Or a well-reputed turbo kit for $2-4k that includes everything you need to install it over a weekend. For example, anything from Bell Engineering.

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

Oh, I was just riffing on the idea of "Miatas aren't supposed to be fast" :)

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Lyesh posted:

Yeah, I was under the impression that the only reason V8's are sort of a no-no is because they add weight to the front and screw up the balance/handling of the car. I haven't heard any similar rumblings about turbo/supercharging, since the weight they add is negligible in the grand scheme of things.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
An LS1 doesn't add that much weight.

e: I think that most of the added weight would be from a T-56.

Phone fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Aug 20, 2009

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Shlomo Palestein posted:

Yeah, I was under the impression that the only reason V8's are sort of a no-no is because they add weight to the front and screw up the balance/handling of the car. I haven't heard any similar rumblings about turbo/supercharging, since the weight they add is negligible in the grand scheme of things.

The good news is the LS1 swap can be balanced just as well as your average turboed miata, and the "OHMYGOSHHEAVYV8" thing doesn't really apply.

Phatty Slayer
Jul 30, 2007

Living the dream
Well rounded is more of what I'm looking at. Honestly right now the thing is a disaster, but a great start.

The real reason behind the idea of a motor swap is mostly due to the fact that upgrading the motor piece by piece is so incredibly expensive! Having a good solid powerplant somewhere around the 200-250hp range would seem ideal to me for a Miata. It would give you that "pull out of the corner" power that the stock Miata just lacks.

Since the car needs a new everything really, I'm open to any suspension combination or modifications (street legal) that are great for a streetable, and when need be, trackable car.

Does anyone know about frame chamfering? I see it done very rarely, and never on a Miata.

Phatty Slayer fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Aug 21, 2009

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

Lyesh posted:

I'm just quoting the great and powerful Bob. I figure he's an expert on the matter.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

PadreScout posted:

I guess it falls under the 3 ways to go faster. You can have more power- for more acceleration off the line and out of turns. You can improve the handling to carry more speeed through the turns and increase your average speed, or you can take driving classes and get pretty much the same results as option 2. I tend to lean towards the latter but to each his own.

Or you could do all of them. Who the gently caress would put a more powerful engine in a car and not touch the suspension?

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

mobn posted:

Or you could do all of them. Who the gently caress would put a more powerful engine in a car and not touch the suspension?

You would be surprised. I grew up in the land of Midland, Texas , aka western poo poo hole of nonsense and fuckery. Pretty much every assholes top priority- for any car under the sun from classic muscle cars to jap imports- was to stuff as much power into it as financially possible while completely neglecting everything from brakes to suspension.

It's loving madness and the poo poo I had to deal with for like 20 loving years- it's left me with the permanent mentality that everyone is some fuckwad with no common sense that will gladly throw a 650 HP engine into a 30 year old car with loving drum brakes.

Sorry- it brings back bad memories, but to answer your question- yeah, there really are people that stupid.

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I finally got my Tein Flex coil overs and Energy poly bushings installed. Yay. Now I just have to dial in the suspension the way I like it over the next few days.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Some of you guys have probably seen this, but check out Motor Trend's Best Driver's Car of 2009.

That gay little Miata puts up quite a fight against some serious competition. Once again showing you don't have to have 600hp to have fun.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Phone posted:

An LS1 doesn't add that much weight.

e: I think that most of the added weight would be from a T-56.

Absolutely right. The BP is not a particularly light four-cylinder, being an iron block and all. The LS1, being an aluminum block, is not much heavier when comparing strictly the engines.

The T-56 is a heavy bastard of a transmission, but you're adding that weight more towards the middle of the car, not hanging over the front wheels. Finish the car out with the requisite rear end upgrades and while it will weigh a bit more, there's no reason it can't be balanced as well as a stock Miata.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro

Guinness posted:

Some of you guys have probably seen this, but check out Motor Trend's Best Driver's Car of 2009.

That gay little Miata puts up quite a fight against some serious competition. Once again showing you don't have to have 600hp to have fun.

The quotes in that article are positively retarded. It's like everyone completely ignored the testers methodology and started bitching when their favorite car wasn't placed higher. I personally wouldn't have placed the cars based on how easy there were to drive at their limits, but hey, they stated that that's how they were rating them...