Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

apekillape
Jan 23, 2009

by Peatpot
New hotness is up.

Excited to see Vorg, but kind of annoyed he's apparently being used as cannon fodder. Effin' Mowgli and his teleporting. Vorg better not be knocked out or some nonsense next chapter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Uh-oh, he's been trained in the art of zwee fighting.

tazman
Jan 23, 2005
hammer time
I pray to like, a 1000 Jesus' that after all this bullshit about how fast this dick is, Ippo utterly ruins his poo poo like the Karasawa fight. We need another fight that shows how Ippo is a world class fighter now. Not another "no it is I who is standing behind YOU!" fight.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

New chapter #861 I was so excited for Vorg but for him to be used to show how good Mowgli is. :smith:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
This series really isn't very good about using the better characters. Takamura I can understand, since he is probably best in small doses. But instead of old opponents coming back for a rematch there has just been an endless succession of stupid gimmick fighters. Hell, a match with Miyata would be an improvement at this point, and he is a pretty terrible character to begin with.

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Poor Vorg, I was hoping for an eventual Ippo vs Vorg rematch but I don't see that happening now :(

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

When the gently caress is this comic gonna do something right again :|

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
I have to agree I'm getting a little tired of Deus ex gimmick lately.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

DamnGlitch posted:

When the gently caress is this comic gonna do something right again :|

Yeah, it even hosed up a Takamura fight. I didn't even think that was possible.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Serious Frolicking posted:

This series really isn't very good about using the better characters. Takamura I can understand, since he is probably best in small doses. But instead of old opponents coming back for a rematch there has just been an endless succession of stupid gimmick fighters. Hell, a match with Miyata would be an improvement at this point, and he is a pretty terrible character to begin with.
Most of the boxers Ippo has fought have retired like Ozma who got a spinal injury after his fight with Ippo, moved up a weight class like Vorg or are just national chumps who will never move passed Japan or at the most the OPBF. Sendo is really the only other Japanese feather-weight other than Itagaki and Ippo who seems to be moving forward. It's also not like every non-throwaway fighter Ippo has ever fought didn't have a gimmick.

What I'd like to see is for Mashiba to go down a wieght class, Miyata to go up one and then them and Vorg fight over the WBC Jr. Lightweight championship.

dag01
Mar 9, 2004
for you to be inside of me is a delightful concept
http://www.onemanga.com/Hajime_no_Ippo/862/01/

When did Vorg become ranked 1st in the world? Or is that a typo?

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

dag01 posted:

When did Vorg become ranked 1st in the world? Or is that a typo?
They didn't show it but I think it was mentioned that he fought and won against the fourth rank and it has been like two years comic time since he left for America so not entirely impossible.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
That was sort of bullshit. Oh, he is a giant threat in spite of the fact that he didn't really do anything! I'm sure he isn't just another stupid gimmick fighter.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I expect to see Ippo corner the guy, only to slip on a banana in the ring. Honestly, it would surprise me more than the inevitable "FOR SOME REASON THIS GUY'S MONKEY TRAINING MADE HIS CORNER SPEED GODLIKE" explanation.

Can't they just start fighting boxers again?

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST
I know how you guys feel. I was pretty skeptical at first about this being another gimmick match, but just look at this next fight as a chance for Ippo to prove his growth and monstrous potential on the World Stage. I have a strong hunch that everything is being setup to do exactly that.

Does this warrant spoiler tags? Just a bunch of vague theoretical speak.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I took a good year and a half break from Ippo because it seemed like it had slowed to a crawl, and what's happened since? I'm caught up now, and in all that time, the Randy Boy fight barely made it in. And now Ippo is fighting another god drat gimmick fighter. It's like something out of Punch-Out, I keep waiting for the fighter who will fight with a boxing glove attached to a string that he'll swing around before every down.

Big L
Oct 30, 2005

Fedora Emelianenko
Why do I somehow expect this new guy to do like Vega from Street Fighter and walljump from the corner behind Ippo? :doh:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

ProfessorChaos posted:

Why do I somehow expect this new guy to do like Vega from Street Fighter and walljump from the corner behind Ippo? :doh:

He is acrobatic, and rolling is out due to the rules for downs. So yeah, you are probably right about that.

apekillape
Jan 23, 2009

by Peatpot
It's really, really annoying when a comic you greatly enjoy makes that ever-so-slight down-shift from "OH poo poo I WANT A NEW CHAPTER TO SEE WHAT HAPPENS" to "OH GOOD GOD CAN WE JUST GET THIS OVER WITH?"

SolidRed
Jan 23, 2008
and if you didn't know.... NOW YOU KNOW - Christian Cage
Feeling alot of hate from this thread. I'm enjoying the manga more than any others I'm reading at the moment. I think the whole Miguel Zale> Bryan Hawk > Takamura > Ippo connection should be pretty interesting in the long haul.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

It's more frustration than hate. Ippo needs to move the gently caress on, kiss kumi, relinquish the japanese title, and fight for world rank.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yeah, I get the feeling that if push came to shove the author could ramp it back up and it'd be fine. It's just gotten so sidetracked. There's virtually no reason for Ippo to not have relinquished his title belt at this point.

The story is almost 900 chapters long and it feels like it could or should be 3/4 that.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

I'm kind of wondering if the editors at Kodansha have anything to do with it. Neither Ippo or Takamura have had a bout out side of Japan when both of them especially Takamura should have by now. Putting Ippo aside for a moment, even if he is an OPBF and WBC ranker, Takamura is what a two time WBC champion in successive weight classes he should be fighting all over. Maybe they don't think it'll sell as well if they move passed Japan.

Guyver fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Aug 4, 2009

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
On the plus side, catching up with Ippo made me pine for the better days, so I reread Ippo vs. Sendo. God what a fight.

I will say that I liked the latest Mashiba fight. If the story were to get sidetracked again I don't think I'd mind as much if it focused on Mashiba rather than Miyata.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Nate RFB posted:

On the plus side, catching up with Ippo made me pine for the better days, so I reread Ippo vs. Sendo. God what a fight.

I will say that I liked the latest Mashiba fight. If the story were to get sidetracked again I don't think I'd mind as much if it focused on Mashiba rather than Miyata.

Sendo is really a great character. He doesn't have any bullshit gimmicks and is just an all around cool dude.

If Ippo doesn't semi-easily win this match, I'm going to be upset. I know they've built him up with this Vorg stuff, but Ippo really shouldn't be struggling this much with his crazy ~30(or whatever) to 1 win/loss ratio.

If this guy does a walljump it's just gonna be like rubbing salt in the wound.

Kweh
Jul 20, 2006

ROYAL
STRAIGHT
FLUSH
Hey guys I guess I might update the OP to help out those who watched the show but don't know where to start in the manga. What chapter does the takamura/hawk fight end? I think I would also like to read this but I would rather start where the anime left off.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Up to chapter 399 (the anime skips a short arc so you'll recognize the first half of 399 just keep reading) is covered in the New Challenger anime.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

Sendo is really a great character. He doesn't have any bullshit gimmicks and is just an all around cool dude.

If Ippo doesn't semi-easily win this match, I'm going to be upset. I know they've built him up with this Vorg stuff, but Ippo really shouldn't be struggling this much with his crazy ~30(or whatever) to 1 win/loss ratio.

If this guy does a walljump it's just gonna be like rubbing salt in the wound.

Ippo always struggles and gets beaten to a pulp. That's just his thing, even though the series acknowledges that this would normally cut short his career and that he should really stop doing it.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Serious Frolicking posted:

Ippo always struggles and gets beaten to a pulp. That's just his thing, even though the series acknowledges that this would normally cut short his career and that he should really stop doing it.

There were a couple times he didn't. Fighting Date's disciple guy and the Thai (I think) guy he fought after losing to Date come to mind.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Everyone seems to forget he's pretty much been fine the last four fights he's had. In fact he completely demolished Karasawa, Take was someone even Date didn't want to fight and even then Ippo was fine, Sispher only lasted four rounds and Gedo only made his face swollen from all the jabs he took from the loosened glove. I'd actually say he hasn't really been beaten bad since the Date match. Most of the time he's okay to walk home.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The Sawamura fight hosed him up pretty badly, mostly on his own part for stopping the Dempsey Roll midway.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Chapter 863 is out and it looks likehis gimmick is jumping into the ropes and using the rebound. It's nice it see the coach and Zale meeting face to face again.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Holy poo poo, has something exciting loving happened?!?!

Is Zale the American GI Coach fought in the war? That would be so loving cool if that were the case. Also, for all the impending faggotry of the match if this is true it'll be the first time I've really be excited to see what comes next in ippo in a long time.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

No he was the American fighter's second

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Guyver posted:

No he was the American fighter's second

Okay, that is suitably cool.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

DamnGlitch posted:

Holy poo poo, has something exciting loving happened?!?!

Is Zale the American GI Coach fought in the war? That would be so loving cool if that were the case. Also, for all the impending faggotry of the match if this is true it'll be the first time I've really be excited to see what comes next in ippo in a long time.

Zale's identity hasn't been a secret. A little hard to catch, but it was revealed during the Kamogowa flashback hundreds of chapters ago.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

ANIME AKBAR posted:

Zale's identity hasn't been a secret. A little hard to catch, but it was revealed during the Kamogowa flashback hundreds of chapters ago.

well the eyebrows would do it. I just never made the connection til now I suppose.

tazman
Jan 23, 2005
hammer time
I am praying to a whole bunch of different things that Ippo wipes the god drat floor with this guy Karasawa style.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
I just re-read up to Ippo's first defense and realized one thing. This manga needs more loving Vorg. He was just too drat awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soth
Jul 21, 2004

My knife, you see... is coated in poison.
So close to the fight. SO. CLOSE.

HOLY poo poo RABBIT NISHIMOTO VS. ARAI KUMA ARE YOU GUYS AS PUMPED AS I AM?!