Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

soupy posted:

Well.. How can I do it correctly?

Don't run anything as admin unless it is really required (like installing something) maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soupy
Feb 20, 2007

Xenomorph posted:

Don't run anything as admin unless it is really required (like installing something) maybe?

I just do it when I can't use voice chat or something similar otherwise.

And seeing as how that was on the last page...

Also: The reader seems to work half the time on in browser PDFs, but then the other time a blank error message pops up and nothing loads. How can I make it work all the time?

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
I have a question about unsigned drivers and Win7-64 - which has probably been asked but I haven't kept up with the thread very well (checked the OP and first page at least though.)

Is there any way to permanantly enable unsigned drivers? This is mostly for RemoteJoy and one or two other applications that utilize unsigned unofficial drivers...in addition the only way to get my laptop working is some hacked drivers due to HP using a company for my particular model that basically tanked after releasing two sets of drivers.

I've checked online and have found conflicting reports, and a few suggestions that didn't work. I'm running the RC currently.

Fleedar
Aug 29, 2002
RARRUGHH!!
Lipstick Apathy

Xenomorph posted:

I added the Aero Peek changer thing to XdN Tweaker in April.

(Win 7 Interface II -> Mouse Hover Delay)

It doesn't have a slider, but it has a few settings between 0ms and 5,000ms.

Thanks a lot for this. It's amazing how much more useful Aero Peek is without having to wait for the thumbnails to pop up. 400ms is just way too long.

Mister Bung
Jun 7, 2004

What about the children foo'?
So if I do an upgrade from Vista will it still be 'clogged' with Vista crap?

Or is it best to do a complete flatten and reinstall?

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Mister Bung posted:

So if I do an upgrade from Vista will it still be 'clogged' with Vista crap?

Or is it best to do a complete flatten and reinstall?

I always recommend doing a clean install. That way, you'll see how much faster and leaner Windows 7 really is.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

soupy posted:

Well.. How can I do it correctly?

Also: The reader seems to work half the time on in browser PDFs, but then the other time a blank error message pops up and nothing loads.

I think he's suggesting that running every program as administrator is going about things the wrong way, but that's just me.

Also, no problems getting browser PDFs to work under Windows 7 with Firefox using Foxit Reader. Woohoo.

Edit: Bah, I missed the whole next page after this post.

soupy
Feb 20, 2007

kode54 posted:

I think he's suggesting that running every program as administrator is going about things the wrong way, but that's just me.

Also, no problems getting browser PDFs to work under Windows 7 with Firefox using Foxit Reader. Woohoo.

Edit: Bah, I missed the whole next page after this post.

Thanks! Foxit works great!

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

I'm looking for a way to navigate up a folder with just the mouse in Windows 7 explorer.

Basically, in the past, QTTabbar let me double click an empty part of the window to go up a folder. Getting this back would be ideal, but QTTabbar doesn't work with Windows 7. I still do this automatically.

A quick mouse gesture would be workable too, but, preferably, something location independent - I know about the breadcrumbs bar, but that requires moving up there, finding the proper folder, and clicking. A button ends up with almost the same problem.

I'm really not sure where to look - gMote seems to interfere with Opera's mouse gestures, and I couldn't see any way to go up a directory in explorer. Help would be great.

ludnix
Jan 8, 2007

by exmarx
I'm having trouble sharing a hard drive in windows 7 with my other computers in my house. I have a western digital 1TB hard drive that I keep my music and movies on at my desktop with Win 7 RC 7100. I right clicked the drive and told it to share, but when I go my laptop with Win 7 RC 7100 and select the drive under "Map a network drive" it says I do not have permission. I'm also trying to share this drive with another computer that has vista on it but the same thing happens. Anyone know what I need to do to give these other computers permission that I'm not doing now?

Mensur
Aug 1, 2007

EnGAYge!

Mensur fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jun 14, 2013

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Mensur posted:

Thanks! Also as a suggestion for future versions, here's a regedit for ie8 so one doesn't have to hit "ask me later" every time one launches it. (too lazy to go through the wizard for the once a month I launch it)

This made me laugh. Too lazy to spend 30 seconds on the wizard, but you did go find the regkeys to "fix" it.

matato
Apr 5, 2009

ludnix posted:

I'm having trouble sharing a hard drive in windows 7 with my other computers in my house. I have a western digital 1TB hard drive that I keep my music and movies on at my desktop with Win 7 RC 7100. I right clicked the drive and told it to share, but when I go my laptop with Win 7 RC 7100 and select the drive under "Map a network drive" it says I do not have permission. I'm also trying to share this drive with another computer that has vista on it but the same thing happens. Anyone know what I need to do to give these other computers permission that I'm not doing now?

I used to have problems sharing in Vista, so it might apply. Why not try to connect using the username/password that you have on the main computer?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

ludnix posted:

[mg]http://someawe.com/uploads/sharing.PNG[/timg]
[mg]http://someawe.com/uploads/settings.PNG[/timg]
Make sure the "everyone" user has NTFS permissions assigned, in addition to the shared permissions. The stricter of the two is what applies. Or use the same username/password on all computers.

Is there a version of skype that doesn't stop working anytime the computer goes to sleep?

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Xenomorph posted:

I did this already doofus

Cool, I figured I wasn't first to the punch with that, it's just one simple key. But there you go.

UScr00ge
Mar 15, 2001

I took the plunge and threw Windows 7 home on my main machine, and so far I love it with one exception....my sound is randomly skipping and stuttering. This never happened in Vista 64bit with the same hardware configuration.

I'm running an 8400/ASUS P5Q-PRO using the integrated Realtek sound hardware. After I finished the format and reinstall, I played a few MP3's and noticed they stuttered a little when doing something intensive (opening up a large attachment in Outlook for instance.)

Went to ASUS site and saw that there were no 64-bit audio drivers yet, so ended up getting the latest High Definition Audio drivers from Realtek's site. After installing and rebooting the skipping wasn't really any better.

Has anyone had similar issues with this in Windows 7? I have a feeling this is going to end with me taking the plunge and buying a PCI Express X-FI card, but I'm going to try to do everything I can to prevent that.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

UScr00ge posted:

I took the plunge and threw Windows 7 home on my main machine, and so far I love it with one exception....my sound is randomly skipping and stuttering. This never happened in Vista 64bit with the same hardware configuration.

I'm running an 8400/ASUS P5Q-PRO using the integrated Realtek sound hardware. After I finished the format and reinstall, I played a few MP3's and noticed they stuttered a little when doing something intensive (opening up a large attachment in Outlook for instance.)

Went to ASUS site and saw that there were no 64-bit audio drivers yet, so ended up getting the latest High Definition Audio drivers from Realtek's site. After installing and rebooting the skipping wasn't really any better.

Has anyone had similar issues with this in Windows 7? I have a feeling this is going to end with me taking the plunge and buying a PCI Express X-FI card, but I'm going to try to do everything I can to prevent that.

Have you tried changing the sampling rate?

My sound card freaked out and kept skipping until I bumped it up to that rate.

illamint
Jun 26, 2005

According to The Oxford English Dictionary, the word "snapshot" was originally a hunting term.
Quick question: I'm home from school for 3 weeks and have a little bit of downtime. I didn't bring my Xbox with me and I want to play some video games I've got around like Battlefield 2, CS:S, etc. Would I be better off throwing a copy of XP Pro on here? I've also got access to a copy of Windows 7 RC (MSDNAA doesn't yet have the RTM copy available).

UScr00ge
Mar 15, 2001

fishmech posted:

Have you tried changing the sampling rate?

My sound card freaked out and kept skipping until I bumped it up to that rate.

Nope! I'll do that now, thanks!

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

illamint posted:

Quick question: I'm home from school for 3 weeks and have a little bit of downtime. I didn't bring my Xbox with me and I want to play some video games I've got around like Battlefield 2, CS:S, etc. Would I be better off throwing a copy of XP Pro on here? I've also got access to a copy of Windows 7 RC (MSDNAA doesn't yet have the RTM copy available).

Windows 7 runs games perfectly fine. I haven't tried xp on my laptop, but I know it's noticeably faster than vista.

Outer Science
Dec 21, 2008

Daisangen

Captain Novolin posted:

Windows 7 runs games perfectly fine. I haven't tried xp on my laptop, but I know it's noticeably faster than vista.

The only problem is that PunkBuster or whatever has issues with Windows 7 and refuses to run. I have absolutely no idea if this has been fixed, but I do know people have had problems because of it.

Kovner
Mar 22, 2003

He LITERALLY grew wings and ascended to heaven where God blessed him with this God-like defense-burning capability.
So I'm getting in a new motherboard, video card, and some extra memory tomorrow and I was planning on using that as a convenient time to install windows 7.
What is the best way to go about that? Install hardware, reformat and isntall windows xp, and then install windows 7, or just stick the hardware in, reboot, and run windows 7 installation?

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

Relambrien posted:

The only problem is that PunkBuster or whatever has issues with Windows 7 and refuses to run. I have absolutely no idea if this has been fixed, but I do know people have had problems because of it.

I know one of those DRM schemes gained compatibility in the last few weeks. Might have been GameGuard though.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Full Circle posted:

I know one of those DRM schemes gained compatibility in the last few weeks. Might have been GameGuard though.

AFAIK, Punkbuster is anti-cheat, not DRM.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
Punkbuster works fine on 7-64, I use it with bf2 all the time.

Cerri
Apr 27, 2006
Just bought a new 1TB drive, so it's time to reformat and get my OS off the 4-year old 320GB hard drive I've been using. I've been running Windows 7 since the first version was publicly released, and I haven't bothered upgrading it since outside of Windows updates.

I have the RC downloaded (was waiting to install till I bought the new HD), but should I install 7264 instead (is that the final one, or has there been yet another version leaked)?

Final clarification point, if I install a later-than-RC version, my beta keys will not work, but I can keep it running for 120 days without one using the re-arm activation trick, correct?

DarthDommo
Feb 5, 2003

Captain Novolin posted:

The only issue I've had with games on Win7 is on a couple I have to run as administrator or they lag out or have other issues, Fallout 3 and Diablo 2 specifically. The rest run fine, and I would recommend only running them as admin if they don't work otherwise. Fallout 3 actually runs better in 7 than it ever did in XP.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Cerri posted:

Just bought a new 1TB drive, so it's time to reformat and get my OS off the 4-year old 320GB hard drive I've been using. I've been running Windows 7 since the first version was publicly released, and I haven't bothered upgrading it since outside of Windows updates.

I have the RC downloaded (was waiting to install till I bought the new HD), but should I install 7264 instead (is that the final one, or has there been yet another version leaked)?

Final clarification point, if I install a later-than-RC version, my beta keys will not work, but I can keep it running for 120 days without one using the re-arm activation trick, correct?

7200 branch still uses the beta key and works just like the last one, the 7600 branch is RTM and you can do 120 days re-arming if you plan on buying a retail copy.

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

I've been running Windows 7 on my Dell Mini 9 for a few days now. I think it's fantastic and definitely better than Vista. My biggest gripe with it though is the wireless networking. I don't know how they made the wireless network selection interface worse but I don't like it. It's just a popup window that tells you nothing about the network until you hover the mouse over it. I want something detailed and intuitive that tells me signal strength and whatnot. Then again, Ubuntu's isn't that much better.

I am loving ReadyBoost though. It works incredibly well in Windows 7.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

COCKMOUTH.GIF posted:

I've been running Windows 7 on my Dell Mini 9 for a few days now. I think it's fantastic and definitely better than Vista. My biggest gripe with it though is the wireless networking. I don't know how they made the wireless network selection interface worse but I don't like it. It's just a popup window that tells you nothing about the network until you hover the mouse over it. I want something detailed and intuitive that tells me signal strength and whatnot. Then again, Ubuntu's isn't that much better.

I am loving ReadyBoost though. It works incredibly well in Windows 7.

Uh, are you sure you're using Windows 7?

The pop up shows signal strength from 1-5 bars, as well as an icon when it's unsecured. That's a lot more information in a smaller, more efficient use of space as well as being intuitive. You're the first person I've heard complain that it's somehow worse.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

I'm having a strange problem with my Windows 7 x64 upgrade.

My work email in Vista was done through Windows Mail. It's simple, easy, and I don't really need features so I liked it. In 7, it looks like the new Windows Mail is Windows Live Mail. I installed that, but it doesn't seem to open. It gives me an error that it may not be installed correctly, and to check if I'm out of memory. (I'm not.)

Rather than try to mess any more with that (which I did, by uninstalling and reinstalling a couple times, and some other things I found after Googling), I just went and tried to open my old Windows Mail exe. It seems to open, the first thing I have to do is enter my login info, and then I even have the "New Mail" notification at the bottom right, but when I click on it, it doesn't do anything. I can't alt-tab to it or do anything with it, but it's open, even according to Task Manager. Anyone run into phantom programs like this, or have similar trouble with Windows Live Mail?

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

What is the best way to resolve a 10 second lag when browsing or saving files on a different hard-disk? I've disabled the 'Turn off idle hard disks' in Power Management, and never had this problem with Vista on the same hardware...

Treytor
Feb 8, 2003

Enjoy, uh... refreshing time!
Does anyone else have the problem of "Virtual PC Integration Device" showing up under Other devices in the windows xp mode virtual PC device manager? It's like the drivers for it aren't installed correctly. I can't find a thing about it online...

Unrelated question: Indexing a mapped network drive. Is it possible?

Treytor fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Aug 10, 2009

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

JoeCitizen posted:

What is the best way to resolve a 10 second lag when browsing or saving files on a different hard-disk? I've disabled the 'Turn off idle hard disks' in Power Management, and never had this problem with Vista on the same hardware...

The best way is to replace the broken disk.

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

Xenomorph posted:

The best way is to replace the broken disk.

It's brand new?

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
How do I get Win7 to stop querying my Linux apache server every 3 seconds?
code:
"PROPFIND /mp3 HTTP/1.1" 405 340 "-" "Microsoft-WebDAV-MiniRedir/6.1.7100"
I added the \\LINUXBOX\mp3 share to Windows Media Player so I can listen to my mp3s but apparently wmp thinks CIFS shares and http connections are like totally the same thing so it does chatty stuff like this. Where's the option to say "No, seriously, only access it in the manner I added it"?

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

JoeCitizen posted:

It's brand new?

That makes it all the more likely.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Treytor posted:

Unrelated question: Indexing a mapped network drive. Is it possible?

I know it's possible if the network drive is on a Windows box. If it is, install Windows Desktop Search 4.0 on that machine. Windows will share the index across the network. The downside of this is that it doesn't seem to work through the start menu quick search. You have to use the search bar in an Explorer window that is viewing the shared drive.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

giZm posted:

My router is a Linksys AG241V2, and while it syncs with the max my line can support, the W7 PC gradually loses speed the longer it is on and in use. For example, it starts out at 1.2mb/sec down, and after a day or two it's down to 750kb/sec. The only way to fix it is to reset the router.
This hasn't happened on Vista or XP, so I'm somewhat blaming W7 for it. NIC is the onboard thingie of a P5N-e SLI (Nforce 650i).
Switched out router/modem for a different model, hopefully that'll fix it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

Full Circle posted:

That makes it all the more likely.

I just ran the HD tune error can with not even a hiccup and booted off an Ubuntu live cd. The problem doesn't exist outside of Win7. I'm guessing it's something to do with Nod32, the thumbnail cache or indexing.